Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 (5508 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Wole Soyinka Posing With Traditional GODS (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by aloyemeka1: 11:50pm On Sep 13, 2011
[size=14pt]Soyinka: Posers for an atheist at 77[/size]

Written by Muda Oyeniran
Tuesday, 13 September 2011

IT is an incontrovertible fact that Professor Wole Soyinka is reverred in Nigeria and indeed globally. As the first African to be awarded the highly coveted Nobel prize in Literature, our cerebral Professor of Literature is, indeed, a pride to the black race.

Aside from being a literary giant, Prof. Soyinka is also a celebrated social critic, being a thorn in the flesh of successive governments in Nigeria. As the founder of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), in Nigeria, Soyinka’s contribution to the development of the country is, indeed, legendary.

But I must say with all due respect that the Nobel laureate goofed recently when he was responding to a question bordering on why he remained an unrepretant atheist on a popular television talkshow Moments with Mo, designed to celebrate his 77th birthday.

The presenter of the programme, Mo’ Abudu had asked Prof. Soyinka why he does not believe in the existence of God, in spite of the fact that he was raised by Christian parents.

To my utter dismay, the Nobel Laureate turned logic on the head and gave an answer which left this writer wondering whether I had heard him right.

Although I might not be able to quote him verbatim, Professor Soyinka had replied thus. “The reason why I don’t believe in God is simple. I simply cannot imagine that somebody (emphasis mine) will be responsible for the action of billions of people. I think everybody should be held responsible for his actions and inaction.”

That I was taken aback by his response was to say the least. How on earth could Professor Soyinka give such an absymally poor answer? However, since Professor Soyinka has stirred the hornets’ nest, I will like him to answer the following questions: Who is responsible for the phenomenon of sleeping and wakefulness? What about the mystery of day and night; who is in control?

As simple as this may sound, can the Professor explain the process of hair growth on his head? Who created him or even if he is a believer in the evolution school of thought, who created that creature that he evolved from? Who created all the wonderful things we see around us - the mountains, valleys, oceans seas etc. What about the phenomenon of birth and death?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/28087-soyinka-posers-for-an-atheist-at-77
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by mazaje(m): 12:17am On Sep 14, 2011
aloy/emeka:

As simple as this may sound, can the Professor explain the process of hair growth on his head? Who created him or even if he is a believer in the evolution school of thought, who created that creature that he evolved from? Who created all the wonderful things we see around us - the mountains, valleys, oceans seas etc. What about the phenomenon of birth and death

The writer of this article is very DULL. . . . .By the way man has scientifically studied the formation of mountains, valleys, oceans and seas and has provided very credible explanations for their formation without the need for any God. . . .No God's name or signature is to be seen on any mountain, river or ocean. . .People out of reasons best known to them came up with the God idea and creation. . .

Having no explanation for an event means nothing more than we don't know. That's it: we don't know yet. It is ignorant to conclude that god did it. There was a time we couldn't explain anything about the stars. When men were ignorant and didn't know much about biology they ostracized their menstruating women and called them unclean because of lack of basic knowledge of how the female reproductive system works. . . .Another example is assuming nobody really understands gravity. If I tell you that it exists because there are invisible vacuum demons hidden in the earth that cannot be experienced by mere humans, the fact that you cannot disprove that theory, nor replace it with a better one, doesn't make it right. It makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction. The writer of the article can believe whatever he/she wants and I hope that it works for him/her. However, trying to zing people like Wole Soyinka with a God idea that is completely man made may be self-satisfying for the writer, but it isn't very logical at all.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Sweetnecta: 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this dullard is duller.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Godmouth(m): 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Mazaje:

I can tell you for a fact that there is a God. You may ask me: how do I know? I have had several encounters of Him, I have encountered several angels. God speaks to me just as a man speaks to his friend. These things I am telling you are what you read in the bible: however they are happening to myself and many other people across the whole world today. Let me tell you something: you are saying God does not exist because you do not know him, and from the way you have replied in your post, you don't seem to care to want to know Him, so why would He force Himself on you.

When you are faced with a helpless situation: e.g your life or that of a loved one is threatened by a terminal illness that has no cure: then you will see that a hope inside of you begins to pray that God should be real and that he should be able to heal you or whoever is involved in the predicament.

To encounter God is possible: Open your heart to Him and He will meet with you.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by jayriginal: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2011
Godmouth:

@Mazaje:

I can tell you for a fact that there is a God. You may ask me: how do I know? I have had several encounters of Him, I have encountered several angels. God speaks to me just as a man speaks to his friend.
I assume you are merely talking. If you really believe God talks to you like a friend and that you have met angels, you are cherishing an illusion. More to the point, you are deluded and might need help. No offence meant.

Godmouth:

When you are faced with a helpless situation: e.g your life or that of a loved one is threatened by a terminal illness that has no cure: then you will see that a hope inside of you begins to pray that God should be real and that he should be able to heal you or whoever is involved in the predicament.

God was created out of fear and ignorance.
This might seem harsh to you, but without intending any offence, there is no other way I can put it.

mazaje:

Having no explanation for an event means nothing more than we don't know. That's it: we don't know yet. It is ignorant to conclude that god did it.

Precisely the reason he is called the God of gaps. Its easier to say God did it, or the devil, or my village people or whatever, than to actually sit down and figure out the reason for anything. Many questions about our origins may never be completely answered but God is not the answer . That much is definite. Its hard to let go and most people wont, but God is finished. He has served his purpose. He isnt needed anymore but is unfortunately still alive in the superstition of sheeple.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Godmouth(m): 1:16pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ Jayriginal,

You are the one who is deluded by saying God does not exist. In the bible: it is written that it's only a fool that says in his heart that there is no God. There is nothing you will say that will change the experiences/encounters of God that I have heard: even if you put a gun to my head and ask me to deny it.

Who created you? where did you come from? when you die where are you going? why is the earth the only place where life is found in the entire universe as tiny as it is?

There is no point arguing with you because you do not understand what I am saying. You cannot understand unless God helps you to do so.

You are the one who needs help: because life without Christ is empty and pointless. You know deep down that you need God, so stop pretending and answer his call before it is too late!
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Jenwitemi(m): 2:15pm On Sep 14, 2011
Lol! The article writer is shocked and dismayed by the Prof's answer. What was this Muda Oyeniran expecting an atheist's answer to be other than what he heard? grin
aloy/emeka:

Written by Muda Oyeniran

IT is an incontrovertible fact that Professor Wole Soyinka is reverred in Nigeria and indeed globally. As the first African to be awarded the highly coveted Nobel prize in Literature, our cerebral Professor of Literature is, indeed, a pride to the black race.

Aside from being a literary giant, Prof. Soyinka is also a celebrated social critic, being a thorn in the flesh of successive governments in Nigeria. As the founder of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), in Nigeria, Soyinka’s contribution to the development of the country is, indeed, legendary.

But I must say with all due respect that the Nobel laureate goofed recently when he was responding to a question bordering on why he remained an unrepretant atheist on a popular television talkshow Moments with Mo, designed to celebrate his 77th birthday.

The presenter of the programme, Mo’ Abudu had asked Prof. Soyinka why he does not believe in the existence of God, in spite of the fact that he was raised by Christian parents.

To my utter dismay, the Nobel Laureate turned logic on the head and gave an answer which left this writer wondering whether I had heard him right.

Although I might not be able to quote him verbatim, Professor Soyinka had replied thus. “The reason why I don’t believe in God is simple. I simply cannot imagine that somebody (emphasis mine) will be responsible for the action of billions of people. I think everybody should be held responsible for his actions and inaction.”

That I was taken aback by his response was to say the least. How on earth could Professor Soyinka give such an absymally poor answer? However, since Professor Soyinka has stirred the hornets’ nest, I will like him to answer the following questions: Who is responsible for the phenomenon of sleeping and wakefulness? What about the mystery of day and night; who is in control?

As simple as this may sound, can the Professor explain the process of hair growth on his head? Who created him or even if he is a believer in the evolution school of thought, who created that creature that he evolved from? Who created all the wonderful things we see around us - the mountains, valleys, oceans seas etc. What about the phenomenon of birth and death?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/28087-soyinka-posers-for-an-atheist-at-77
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by mazaje(m): 3:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
Sweetnecta:

Shut up you deluded FOOOOOL. . . . .

Godmouth:

@Mazaje:

I can tell you for a fact that there is a God. You may ask me: how do I know? I have had several encounters of Him, I have encountered several angels.

You can't tell me for a fact because you simply imagine things. . . You can tell me only one fact and the fact is your have a very strong belief and that belief makes you see and imagine things that are not really there. . . .You have encountered several angels? Pls tell me how they look like and what language they speak?. . . .

God speaks to me just as a man speaks to his friend. These things I am telling you are what you read in the bible: however they are happening to myself and many other people across the whole world today.

I have read so many accounts of people that claim to have seen God or went to heaven and hell. . .I was raised by an end of day enthusiasts who has so many of such books, a simple reading of those books tell you that the authors are not just deluded lairs but outright crazy people. . . .They just imagine things up and write them to make money or seek fame. . . .Their contradictory accounts cancel each other out and are just baseless lies. . .

Let me tell you something: you are saying God does not exist because you do not know him, and from the way you have replied in your post, you don't seem to care to want to know Him, so why would He force Himself on you.

I have searched for God more than you can even imagine. . . .Almost went CRAZY when I realized that my beliefs were false, I truly wanted to believe. . . .The bible is false cos most of what is written inside are LIES and a lot of them have been shown to be false. . . .

I understand the need to believe, but the reality is that there is no God that will help you when in need or in trouble. . .Prayer does NOT work, if it does we will not be here having this argument. . . . .No evidence to show that prayer works at all. . . .If prayers for healing works we will not be here having this conversation. . . .

All Gods were created by men. . . .God is a man made invention. . . .
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by globexl: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2011
mazaje:

The writer of this article is very DULL. . . . .By the way man has scientifically studied the formation of mountains, valleys, oceans and seas and has provided very credible explanations for their formation without the need for any God. . . .No God's name or signature is to be seen on any mountain, river or ocean. . .People out of reasons best known to them came up with the God idea and creation. . .

Having no explanation for an event means nothing more than we don't know. That's it: we don't know yet. It is ignorant to conclude that god did it. There was a time we couldn't explain anything about the stars. When men were ignorant and didn't know much about biology they ostracized their menstruating women and called them unclean because of lack of basic knowledge of how the female reproductive system works. . . .Another example is assuming nobody really understands gravity. If I tell you that it exists because there are invisible vacuum demons hidden in the earth that cannot be experienced by mere humans, the fact that you cannot disprove that theory, nor replace it with a better one, doesn't make it right. It makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction. The writer of the article can believe whatever he/she wants and I hope that it works for him/her. However, trying to zing people like Wole Soyinka with a God idea that is completely man made may be self-satisfying for the writer, but it isn't very logical at all.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Can they get any dumber?
@Goldmouth: I am glad to hear you say that god speaks to you regularly, but can you pls acknowledge that god is therefore in your head? that is all people like Soyinka have been saying all along. Surely God exists, but in your head.If u disagree, then can you pls tape-record your next encounter with him. pls.
 Theists always make the same lame old argument over and over again, that for this or that to exist, someone(god) must have created it because something cannot come into existence on its own. Fine argument indeed. But when you aske them to explain or even theorize about  the origin of god, you either get a deafening silence or they tell u that god created himself(out of nothing), They very same impossiblity they point at when addressing the theory of evolution . The universe could not have sprang up  and evolved but god certainly sprang up, evolved and created the universe?.
Then he has a son but no wife or mate. Convoluted logic.
He creates an imperfect world and then manipulates and judges and punishes his creation for the imperfections that he created.
Professor Soyinka was right when he asked"where is  man's responsibility if we are maniputaled by an omnipotent deity"?

@goldmouth and the original poster: Since you have god  andare filled with christ and all the good stuff that comes with it,what is your obsession with non-believers like Soyinka and athiests? i have asked this questons on this forum several times and am going to ask it again.
1. Are theists by the very nature of their beliefs insecure and need athiests to constantly validate their faith?
2. Does god need people more than people need him?
3. Are there safety in numbers?
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Godmouth(m): 4:22pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Globexl

I have no obsession for atheists like Wole Soyinka or Richard Dawkins who clearly have issues with God and need help. The reason why God is truly sovereign and supreme is the fact that you cannot fathom Him. You cannot tell of His beginning: it's all a mystery. There are so many mysteries around us which science has no answer to, for example: look at how small the human brain is: Yet it is so complex and has so much intelligible abilities than any computer ever made.

You claim my encounters with God are just in my head: you do not know me and haven't met me before. You say when I have my next encounter I should record it in a tape as evidence. What a stupid suggestion. When you encounter God, the last thing on your mind will be to get a tape to record Him: because of the awe of His presence: you cannot even speak,. God have said things to me before: things of the future that will happen and they happen.

I have had dreams and visions where God sends His angels to give me specific messages for someone or for myself. Whether you belive it or not: God is real and my experiences of Him remains with me forever. You know when you die: there is a place called hell for people like you who choose to ignore God all their lives. I'm gonna tell you straight-up as it is. People like yourself, Wole Soyinka, Richard Dawkins are gonna regret not acknowledging the living God in eternity if you carry on ignoring His call.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by globexl: 5:13pm On Sep 14, 2011
OOPS! Silly me. Sorry O. You are way over my head. How could I have imagined trying to engage the mouthpiece of god to any type of sensible debate?. Godmouth, If god tells you things, then my apologies.
Since you cannot record ur encounters, thats ok. But can you please ask him to instruct you of how to permanently rid us of malaria. Millions of infants die every years from this ailment. For someone that speaks with god, that is the least you can do for humanity. ABI? or does he only instruct you on how to remit the money you collect on His behalf?
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by ayox2003: 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Globexyl, JayOriginal and Mazaje. I hope u guys are able to answer these questions

If humans evolved from chimpanzees, why are chimpanzees still around?

The Big Bang Theory proposes that everything in the Universe started from something called singularity which is smaller than an atom. How can you stuff everything in the universe in that? It's hard enough to stuff four suitcases in the trunk of your car!

If the earth really revolves around the sun, then why when we look at the sun we can see it plainly revolving around the earth? (And if the earth was moving around the sun, wouldn't we all fly off into space?)

If women were not created from Adam's rib, why is it that men have one fewer rib than women?

How do scientists know stars are "millions of light years away"? Have they been there and back? Do they have a tape measure that stretchs that long?

Scientists say all our genetic information is coded on DNA. But DNA is an acid! How can you write information in acid? You can write information on a hard drive, but not a liquid!

People have been wearing clothes for thousands of years. Why haven't our bodies evolved natural clothes that come out of our skin then?

If there really are millions and millions of species, then how could have Adam named them all? Obviously, there's not that many species then! (Gen 2:18-22)

If our brains are just a mishmash of biochemistry, how come chemicals like gasoline or bug spray can't think?

Einstein said that if you approach the speed of light, time slows down. Once you hit the speed of light, time stops. If that is so, how come light can travel from point A to point B if time is stopped for light?

Did you know that the Bible has been the number one bestseller almost every single year since the 1436 invention of the Gutenberg printing press?

If God does not exist, then from where comes humanity's universal moral sense?

If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

Can you explain how personality could have ever evolved from the impersonal, or how order could have ever resulted from chaos?
How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe, even though it is (supposedly) just a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time, this brain can’t create another brain like itself, so how can nature, that has no brain, create a brain?

Everyone knows Mount Rushmore was the result of intelligent design. Do you think the human body is the result of intelligent design?

When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras, turtles, butterflies, bees, lady bugs, leopards, etc., you will notice amazing color patterns designed into them. Who came up with those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors , and does it know which colors go together nicely?

How do you account for the origin of life considering the irreducible complexity of its essential components?

Is it possible that your unbelief in God is actually an unwillingness to submit to Him?

Does your present worldview provide you with an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

How do you explain the radically changed lives of so many Christian believers down through history?

Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?

What do you say about the hundreds of scholarly books that carefully document the veracity and reliability of the Bible?

Why and how has the Bible survived and even flourished in spite of centuries of worldwide attempts to destroy and ban its message?

Have you ever considered the fact that Christianity is the only religion whose leader is said to have risen from the dead?

How do you explain the empty tomb of Jesus in light of all the evidence that has now proven essentially irrefutable for twenty centuries?

If every effect has a cause, then what or who caused the universe?

How do you explain the thousands of people who have experienced heaven or hell and have come back to tell us about it?

How do you explain the countless people who have received miracles from God?

Is there any evidence that would satisfy you and persuade you to become a believer, or are you just going to believe what you WANT to believe?

I think I should make this a new post.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by dorox(m): 6:43pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ayox2003 Your questions are so unbelivable that it is difficult to think that you are not joking.Can I justl add that if the earth is a sphere why don't we fall off it's surface to your list of ridiculous questions.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by thehomer: 6:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Written by Muda Oyeniran

What was so poor about the answer; the journalist didn't say.
He then shifts to making an argument from his own ignorance simply because he managed to frame the question wrongly.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by thehomer: 6:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
Godmouth:

@Mazaje:

I can tell you for a fact that there is a God. You may ask me: how do I know? I have had several encounters of Him, I have encountered several angels. God speaks to me just as a man speaks to his friend. These things I am telling you are what you read in the bible: however they are happening to myself and many other people across the whole world today. Let me tell you something: you are saying God does not exist because you do not know him, and from the way you have replied in your post, you don't seem to care to want to know Him, so why would He force Himself on you.

You've met angels and God speaks to you? You actually hear voices in your head?
Are you willing demonstrate that it is God that speaks to you?

Godmouth:

This is simply an emotional appeal. What is the point of praying for healing when you've said the person will die from the illness?
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by globexl: 7:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
OMG!
unbelievable! The things I witness on this forum. Wat? someone still believes that the sun moves around the earth? .Where have you been over the past 500yrs?
Prof. Soyinka himself once remarked that there was a dearth of intelligence inour land. More correctly, its an epidemic of foolishness.
This guy needs to go back to primary one and start allover again.
There is no point trying to educate him on this forum that earth is a sphere moving around the sun.
Na wa o.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by globexl: 7:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
ayox2003:

@Globexyl, JayOriginal and Mazaje. I hope u guys are able to answer these questions

The Big slam Theory proposes that everything in the Universe started from something called singularity which is smaller than an atom. How can you stuff everything in the universe in that? It's hard enough to stuff four suitcases in the trunk of your car!

If the earth really revolves around the sun, then why when we look at the sun we can see it plainly revolving around the earth? (And if the earth was moving around the sun, wouldn't we all fly off into space?)

If women were not created from Adam's rib, why is it that men have one fewer rib than women?

How do scientists know stars are "millions of light years away"? Have they been there and back? Do they have a tape measure that stretchs that long?

Scientists say all our genetic information is coded on DNA. But DNA is an acid! How can you write information in acid? You can write information on a hard drive, but not a liquid!

People have been wearing clothes for thousands of years. Why haven't our bodies evolved natural clothes that come out of our skin then?

If there really are millions and millions of species, then how could have Adam named them all? Obviously, there's not that many species then! (Gen 2:18-22)

If our brains are just a mishmash of biochemistry, how come chemicals like gasoline or bug spray can't think?

Einstein said that if you approach the speed of light, time slows down. Once you hit the speed of light, time stops. If that is so, how come light can travel from point A to point B if time is stopped for light?

Did you know that the Bible has been the number one bestseller almost every single year since the 1436 invention of the Gutenberg printing press?

If God does not exist, then from where comes humanity's universal moral sense?

If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

Can you explain how personality could have ever evolved from the impersonal, or how order could have ever resulted from chaos?
How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe, even though it is (supposedly) just a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time, this brain can’t create another brain like itself, so how can nature, that has no brain, create a brain?

Everyone knows Mount Rushmore was the result of intelligent design. Do you think the human body is the result of intelligent design?

When you look at a lot of creatures such as zebras, turtles, butterflies, bees, lady bugs, leopards, etc., you will notice amazing color patterns designed into them. Who came up with those? Does nature have a “taste” in colors , and does it know which colors go together nicely?

How do you account for the origin of life considering the irreducible complexity of its essential components?

Is it possible that your unbelief in God is actually an unwillingness to submit to Him?

Does your present worldview provide you with an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

How do you explain the radically changed lives of so many Christian believers down through history?

Are you aware that every alleged Bible contradiction has been answered in an intelligible and credible manner?

What do you say about the hundreds of scholarly books that carefully document the veracity and reliability of the Bible?

Why and how has the Bible survived and even flourished in spite of centuries of worldwide attempts to destroy and ban its message?

Have you ever considered the fact that Christianity is the only religion whose leader is said to have risen from the dead?

How do you explain the empty tomb of Jesus in light of all the evidence that has now proven essentially irrefutable for twenty centuries?

If every effect has a cause, then what or who caused the universe?

How do you explain the thousands of people who have experienced heaven or hell and have come back to tell us about it?

How do you explain the countless people who have received miracles from God?

Is there any evidence that would satisfy you and persuade you to become a believer, or are you just going to believe what you WANT to believe?

I think I should make this a new post.

How can you write DNA on an acid?. Please mr., it is obvious that you did not take any science class whatsoever. Pls stop disgracing yourself in this forum. Go and have take up thse issues with your primary school teacher.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by mazaje(m): 7:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
ayox2003:

Most of what you are asking are not even questions but mere stupidity. . . .Men do not have fewer ribs than women. . .That is a baseless mythology. . .
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by KAG: 7:56pm On Sep 14, 2011
That writer (Muda Oyeniran) is clearly not a very smart individual. Not only are the posers incredibly silly for the most part; Wole Soyinka isn't even an atheist. I could have sworn he was some kind of pagan animist.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
[b]Knowledge puff up!! [/b]Soyinka will learn on the day he dies that he was foolish for trusting in his own wisdom. He enjoys the adoration and accolades of men in this life forgetting that the way that seems right to him now will lead him down to the pit of eternal torment and regret.

He and others who disavow God will learn too late that God always confound the "wise" by using the foolish things of this world.  God's free gift of salvation from a cross sounds like foolishness to proud men who are on the path to perdition unless they repent before they die. Even devils believe in God with fear and trembling!
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by lagcity(m): 8:05pm On Sep 14, 2011
God created everything. But who created God? AND who created the person who created God? AND who created the person who created the person who created God?

Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Sweetnecta: 8:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
[Quote]« #7 on: Today at 03:14:36 PM »

Quote from: Sweetnecta on Today at 12:09:42 PM

Shut up you deluded FOOOOOL. . . . .[/Quote]I will send somebody to you to make suya out of you in that cave that you live in. Big time dullard.

Rhino will do a good job on you. You are too little for the boko haram.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by aletheia(m): 10:18pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ayox2003:

I think you subject yourself and belief in God to ridicule. A lot of your questions betray a lack of understanding about the atheists' arguments. . .and modern science.

ayox2003:

^The theory of Evolution does not state that "humans evolved from chimpanzees." This is a misconception on your part.

ayox2003:

The Big slam Theory proposes that everything in the Universe started from something called singularity which is smaller than an atom. How can you stuff everything in the universe in that? It's hard enough to stuff four suitcases in the trunk of your car!
^Ehm. . .it's called the Big Ban g theory (guess the spambot changed it). It's a theory of the origins of the universe. . .as for stuffing four suitcases into the trunk of your car, your mistaken assumption is that the laws of physics governing the mundane events of daily life are somewhat the same as the laws of physics in operation during the first nanoseconds of the Event. Read up more here.

ayox2003:

^The heliocentric model of the solar system says the earth revolves around the sun in an elliptical orbit once every 365 and 1/4 days. . .this is responsible for the seasons. You see the sun "revolving" round the earth because the earth rotates on it's axis once every 24 hours. . .this is responsible for 'night and day, and the sun "rising" and "setting" '.

ayox2003:

^Err. . .actually men and women have the same number of ribs. In the years I spent dissecting cadavers, I never came across men who had one fewer rib than women. Honestly where did you get this idea from? I understand Adam having one less rib. . .but all men? Come on.

ayox2003:

^Because light has a finite speed though it may appear to us as instantaneous. . .and it takes time for it to get from point A to point B. Read up on the Michaelson & Morley experiment, also find out about the Doppler effect.

ayox2003:

^They are right. DNA is a repository of information. Think of it as a 4 letter alphabet. You can use alphabets to spell words. Words convey information. DNA is an acid. DNA is the abbreviation of Deoxyribonucleic acid. It is a relatively simple molecule comprising of 4 bases: thymine, adenine, cytosine and guanine. . .Read more here

ayox2003:

^Those who believe in Evolution don't think it works like that. They would argue that the fact that men wear clothes is the evolutionary adaptation.

ayox2003:

^I don't know about millions and millions of species. . .who's cataloged them? But Genesis 2:18-20 does not seem to suggest that Adam named every creature. . .it would be instructive to you to note that "the fish of the sea (Genesis 1:28)" is missing from Genesis 2:18-20 and that "every beast of the field (Genesis 2:18)" is only a subset of "every living thing that moveth upon the earth (Genesis 1:28)."

ayox2003:

^This your straw man argument. No one (not even atheists), I think argues that the human brain is just a mishmash of biochemistry. The brain is a complex organ that comprises living cells. It does produce chemicals which it uses for signalling mechanisms and transmitting of messages. It also possesses significant electrical activity. Gasoline and bug spray on the other hand are just hydrocarbon-based compounds. Surely you see there are two different classes of things.

ayox2003:

^Again: firstly, light has a finite speed so it will take time to get from point A to B e.g. 8 minutes for light to get from the sun to the earth. Secondly, you do not understand the Special Theory of Relativity. Yes: as you approach the speed of light, time slows; however it is impossible for any particle that has rest mass to be accelerated to the speed of light. Light is electromagnetic radiation comprising photons. Photons do not have rest mass.

The rest of your questions are probably okay as a springboard for philosophical discourse. . .since they did not involve misconceptions about science.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
lagcity:

God created everything. But who created God? AND who created the person who created God? AND who created the person who created the person who created God?

God!!!!
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by mazaje(m): 10:50pm On Sep 14, 2011
Sweetnecta:

I will send somebody to you to make suya out of you in that cave that you live in. Big time dullard.

That's because Violence is all what you know and the stupid religion and nonsense imaginary God you call Allah teaches you STUP[i]I[/i]D FOOOOOOOL. . . .Boko haram are your brothers, no? They like you also believe that any body that disagrees with them deserves to die, no?. . . .You are a pathetic human being and a waste of time. . . .Stupid deluded goat. . .Idiottttt. . . . .
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by lepasharon(f): 11:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
He has been Cooned out
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Sweetnecta: 1:51am On Sep 15, 2011
[Quote]« #24 on: Yesterday at 10:50:37 PM »

Quote from: Sweetnecta on Yesterday at 08:11:21 PM
I will send somebody to you to make suya out of you in that cave that you live in. Big time dullard.

[b]That's because Violence is all what you know[/b] and the silly religion and nonsense imaginary God you call Allah teaches you STUPID FOOOOOOOL. . . .Boko haram are your brothers, no? They like you also believe that any body that disagrees with them deserves to die, no?. . . .You are a pathetic human being and a waste of time. . . .silly deluded goat. . .Idiottttt. . . . .[/Quote]you don't see me in the mix, but those who can readily get to you. i can't waste my time with a wild beast like you; a man without any brain, belief except there is no belief in God and backbone. the tiny denmark or whatever snow drenched you live in clouded your empty skull, thinking you possess any scholarship. get lost before i send plane ticket to rhino 5dm to get you. you are worse than boko haram. and i can't stand them, because of the evil they do. since you both share evil traits, they are more of your brothers, because they are impostors to me. Alhamdulillah that I did not lose my family by their evil deed.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by aloyemeka1: 2:10am On Sep 15, 2011
What can make Soyinka repent and accept Christ?. Holy spirit?. Men like him are scared away from religion because of the way muslims massacre unbelievers. They believe religion is a serious tool for controlling the weak minded.
@ BitterNecta, what do you think we can do to stop muslims from scaring people away from believing in God, my love?
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by Sweetnecta: 2:42am On Sep 15, 2011
@Aloy/Emeka; « #27 on: Today at 02:10:03 AM »
[Quote]What can make Soyinka repent and accept Christ?. Holy spirit?. Men like him are scared away from religion because of the way muslims massacre unbelievers. They believe religion is a serious tool for controlling the weak minded.[/Quote]Hypocrite. I am going to speak yoruba to you because you are more yoruba than me. Iro fo ori iwo omo buruku yi. She Imale lo pa awon enoyon ni crusade, abi ni Spanish inquisition abi ni the 2 world wars? She inu Quran ni Infidel wa abi inu Timothy ni Bibeli? Ojoro po lowo e. Soyinka o she esin kiriyo notori wipe ko gbaa gboo ni. Be ko she esin Islam tori awon nko ti eyin kiriyo she si omo lakeji yin. E ji ile won. E so won deru. Ko si iwa ibi ti ko si lowo eyin aboo jesu. enough of my yoruba.

[Quote]@ BitterNecta, what do you think we can do to stop muslims from scaring people away from believing in God, my love?[/Quote]Considering a 3 parter God, everyone should be scared because you really will not know when one is jealous of the others, etc.
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by globexl: 3:13am On Sep 15, 2011
kalokalo:

[b]Knowledge puff up!! [/b]Soyinka will learn on the day he dies that he was foolish for trusting in his own wisdom. He enjoys the adoration and accolades of men in this life forgetting that the way that seems right to him now will lead him down to the pit of eternal torment and regret.

He and others who disavow God will learn too late that God always confound the "wise" by using the foolish things of this world. God's free gift of salvation from a cross sounds like foolishness to proud men who are on the path to perdition unless they repent before they die. Even devils believe in God with fear and trembling!

Asuming that you are right and god does exist, Do you honestly think your god will punish a man of great accomplishment like Soyinka simply because he refused to believe in the silly stories told by ancient stone age men? Don't you think your god would grant Soyinka some credit based on his conduct here on earth rather than whatever nonsense he may or may not have believed? If god gave us a brain, dont we have an obligation to use it to ask questions and investigate? Would not be proud of the courage of men like Soyinka who are not afraid to show skeptism and curiosity?
And what does being an athiest have to do with being evil? If someone says they dont want to smoke your weed or your opium with you, does that make the person evil? You have just demonstrated why blind faith is evil. I wonder if your god will be proud of you.
Intolerance in this life in exchange for paradise in the next life. HUH? lucky you.
Pls answer these questions for me.

Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by PA1982(f): 7:56am On Sep 15, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Written by Muda Oyeniran

IT is an incontrovertible fact that Professor Wole Soyinka is reverred in Nigeria and indeed globally. As the first African to be awarded the highly coveted Nobel prize in Literature, our cerebral Professor of Literature is, indeed, a pride to the black race,

As simple as this may sound, can the Professor explain the process of hair growth on his head? Who created him or even if he is a believer in the evolution school of thought, who created that creature that he evolved from? Who created all the wonderful things we see around us -  the mountains, valleys, oceans seas etc. What about the phenomenon of birth and death?

Well, the first thing that struck me was that the writer of this editorial even  more space to their own musings, which read like some preliminary notes for a sermon, than  even naming  Professor Wole Soyinka's literary works. After all, they were the reason he was awarded the Nobel prize, weren't they?

Let's go to Muda Oyeniran's burning questions.
1-Who is responsible for the phenomenon of sleeping and wakefulness?

Not who, but what.
It's called the circadian cycle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

2-What about the mystery of day and night; who is in control?

Is the writer aware the Earth spins on its axis?
No mystery there.
Here's a youtube video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pej15xWLqSw

3-can the Professor explain the process of hair growth on his head?

To understand the 'growth' of hair, here's a good starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_growth

4-Who created him or even if he is a believer in the evolution school of thought, who created that creature that he evolved from?
What a question.
Why does the writer suppose Professor Wole Soyinka was created by anyone other than his parents?
For an overview of human reproduction:
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/

As for the second part of the question, well that depends on your religious point of view, doesn't it?
Here's an excellent variet of source material on the subject of creation myths
http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html

5-Who created all the wonderful things we see around us -  the mountains, valleys, oceans seas etc.

Not who, but what.
Tectonic plates, anyone?
http://www.platetectonics.com/book/page_4.asp

6- What about the phenomenon of birth and death?

Um.
What about it?
Birth and death happens all that that live, from uni-cellular life forms on up.

My question for Muda Oyeniran would be:
What books have you read by Professor Wole Soyinka?
Re: Soyinka: Posers For An Atheist At 77 by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:16am On Sep 15, 2011
between Atheist and Theists I am hard pressed to find the difference tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Say '*God Is Good...all The Time' In Different Languages / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll. / What Do You Have To Lose If You Have Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.