Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,146 members, 7,860,112 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:52 AM

I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan (744 Views)

Real Reasons I Conceded To Buhari —jonathan / I Conceded Defeat To Prevent Crisis – Jonathan (punch) / Why I Conceded Defeat To Buhari – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Naijaland12: 3:48am On May 21, 2015
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday, revealed that the fear of the country being plunged into crisis caused him to promptly concede victory to Major General Muhammadu Buhari in the March 28 presidential election.
He said having worked extensively to prevent conflicts in African countries or restored peace and stability, he realised the enormous cost of conflicts to some countries, noting that Nigeria was not in the position to afford such political crisis.
The president spoke while receiving members of the African Ambassadors Group, who were on a farewell and solidarity visit to the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Naming former crises-ridden countries in the West African sub-region such as Cote d'Ivoire, Mali and Guinea Bissau, he said: "I have been involved in solving many problems in African countries for more than five years and I know the enormity and cost of conflicts, especially on the citizenry. We cannot afford that in Nigeria.
"If we were to have a political conflict in Nigeria, I am not sure the sub-region will be able to accommodate our citizens. My commitment is to always put the country before my personal ambition and that is what I have demonstrated."
He added that having committed himself to strengthening democracy in Nigeria and Africa, he decided to concede victory to show example to the world that democracy can survive and thrive in Africa without conflicts.
Jonathan said: "I believe that character matters in leadership. And it is not just about who becomes the president of a country, but somebody has to be there and the person needs the support of all to succeed. I made a choice to keep the country away from conflict.
"I have always advised other African leaders that we will need to have a country before we can have the ambition to become presidents.
"We don’t have to expose our people to deaths because we want to stay in power. Some people hold on to power, maybe, for fear of the unknown."
The president also called on the global community and Nigerians to support the incoming government of Buhari when it comes on board.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/content/i-conceded-defeat-avert-crisis-jonathan

1 Like

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by FelaLives(m): 4:27am On May 21, 2015
Nice words/sentiments.However Health Workers,Teachers SaLary remains UNPaid!
PLS Do Not Empty treasury before you go!
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Nobody: 4:44am On May 21, 2015
FelaLives:
Nice words/sentiments.However Health Workers,Teachers SaLary remains UNPaid!
PLS Do Not Empty treasury before you go!
If there was war would you be talking of salary? All those borno LGA wey workers desert, are they thinking salaries?

4 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by drkay(m): 4:47am On May 21, 2015
We know, thank you Mr president.

1 Like

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Burger01(m): 4:48am On May 21, 2015
Before nko? You didn't want to concede defeat? Na Gbagbo style go be your lot because majority of naija people don get tired of you and everything you stood for. Btw, what you did was the way the game should be played. You are appreciated for that and the fact you stated 'no human blood is worth your ambition'.

Happy retirement from the presidency #ProfessorOneChancesmiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by ZKOSOSO(m): 5:01am On May 21, 2015
"GEJ- The best president that once ruled Nigeria" - This is what many would be saying in the next 2-3yrs from now.
It remained to be seen if Buhari can ever concede a defeat in a case of future election!
I wish Burundi president is not too desperate like Jonathan......!

2 Likes

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by modath(f): 5:04am On May 21, 2015
8 days to go.
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by ORACLE1975(m): 5:17am On May 21, 2015
I still dey sleep....... zzzzzzxzx
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by M4gunners: 5:24am On May 21, 2015
GEJ u did ur best as a president, but you make me and the rest of us whom may have voted for you know you care for us by considering defeat to avoid Blood of innocent Citizens.

1 Like

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by ITbomb(m): 5:40am On May 21, 2015
I love my president
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Icecomrade: 6:13am On May 21, 2015
Space ab
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by kazmanbanjoko(m): 6:58am On May 21, 2015
Na lie. We voted yu out coz we are tired of your cluelessness. Byebye. Sai Baba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Orunto: 7:06am On May 21, 2015
Heavens know!!!! Thesame way Christ conceded to satan to make Heavens!!!! Goodluck GEJ! Obey Excodus14-14 and please sin no more!!!!
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by tyson99(m): 7:10am On May 21, 2015
shoro niyen
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by socialmediaman: 7:13am On May 21, 2015
he did the right thing this time... Though disliked by many, you wouldn't help but agree that he played mature on this one.. Let's move forward now
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Nobody: 7:41am On May 21, 2015
My able president, may you live long for your statesmanship
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Nzepresh(f): 7:44am On May 21, 2015
I salute your courage Sir! You are a noble man. The post election crisis of 2011 in the north is still very fresh in my memory. God forbid a repeat of the sad memories. Indeed you are a man of peace.
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Caseless: 8:21am On May 21, 2015
Tell that to the birds!
Re: I Conceded Defeat To Avert Crisis -jonathan by Nobody: 8:29am On May 21, 2015
Caseless:
Tell that to the birds!

That means birds values truth more than Nigerians. GEJ my hero!

(1) (Reply)

Osinbajo Inspects Aso Rock Office / Nigerian Inauguration 2015: Channels Television - Multi Platform Streaming / Joseph Edgar's Loud Whispers: A New Dawn And Other Matters Arising...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.