Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan (892 Views)

Attend To Hunger In The Country And Leave Me Alone - Fayose To Buhari / Too Much Hunger In The Country, Fayose Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by abu12: 8:50am On May 22, 2015
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/two-children-die-of-hunger-in-ibadan/

Many people were shocked yesterday that two children starved to death on Tuesday in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.
The discovery followed an unscheduled visit by the state police command to Celestial Street in Agbowo.
The street is densely populated with sparse lines of demarcation, typical of similar densely populated city neighbourhoods. The area is close to the nation’s premier university, the University of Ibadan (UI).
Despite the area’s proximity to affluent neighbourhoods, the children could not get help, according to their host.
When the police convoy arrived in the area, surprise was written on the faces of residents and passersby. Many followed their vehicles to find out if a heavy crime had been committed in the area.
But they soon discovered that Amarachi Ukoha, 16, and Munachi Madagu, three, died because the breadwinner of the family, Mr Kunle Ayoola, could not feed them.
He also failed to provide the medical treatment for them because he had no money to take to the hospital.

Ayoola, 20, said he could not help the children because of his poor income, adding that those who could help were also unavailable.
He is married to Chinonye, also 20. They have an 18-month old baby. Chinonye had Munachi for her first husband and brought him to her new home. Her younger sister, Amarachi, 16, came to live with them.
She was said to have died of hunger, which was compounded by diarrhoea when the family was preparing to bury Munachi.
Both died in an eight-room bungalow. They were thought to have been struck by a strange illness that caused their death. But Ayoola confessed that death visited them because he could not feed them. Munachi’s photo showed that he was malnourished.

Ayoola said: “I think they died as a result of poor medical care. I tried my best to save them but there was no money. The only people that could help were not at home when I visited them.”
The family man gathers metals from dustbins and dump sites and sells them at Ogunpa Market in Ibadan. But the income, according to him, is so small that he could not afford to feed his family well.
He said he earned about N500 whenever business was good. But that was a far cry from meeting the basic needs of his six-member family, which includes his maternal grandmother.

Ayoola said: “I sell scraps at Ogunpa Market. I make between N500 and N1,000 daily when business is good. I did not learn any work before starting the scrap business. I dropped out of school in Primary Six because there was no money.”
The scraps seller said he was making efforts to bury Munachi when he approached the priest of a church opposite the house for advice. But the man advised him not to bury the boy because he was not his father. He took him to the police station to report the death.

But before the police arrived the house, Amarachi had also passed on, complicating the case for Ayoola. The deaths were reported to Police Commissioner Muhammed Katsina later in the day.
The priest, Most Superior Evangelist Tosin Otakoya, said: “On Tuesday, one boy called Kunle Ayoola, who is living in front of my church, came to me and said one of his babies had died. I asked if the baby truly belonged to him and he said no. I told him he had no right to bury the baby unless his dad authorised him to do so. When we tried to get the baby’s father on phone and the number was not going, I told him to go to police station and report himself because he could not keep the body in his house.

“I said it was not ideal for him to bury a boy that he did not father. On getting to the station, I met with the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and explained the situation to her. She volunteered to go to the house with me. When we got to the house, we met another 16-year-old lady, who was already dead, on the floor. It was strange to us.
“So, she contacted the Area Commander and the police commissioner to come to our rescue. The Area Commander came and evacuated the two bodies to the mortuary. I noticed these people died of poverty. They had nothing to eat or money to take care of themselves. The lady and that baby were sick and there was no care before they died.”
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Mogidi: 8:52am On May 22, 2015
A lot have died in Osun state as well, my God what's happening in the SW?

1 Like

Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by abu12: 8:56am On May 22, 2015
There's more to this issue

1 Like

Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 8:56am On May 22, 2015
Mogidi:

Owoda people come and blame me for this news, any bad news from your land is blamed on me.

4 Likes

Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by tucky200(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2015
Mogidi:
Must u make it sound political
Ewu zambia

May their soul rest in perfect peace
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by ArchEnemy(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2015
How can humans die of starvation in this Nigeria. Don't they ve neighbours or a community?
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:01am On May 22, 2015
If madueke and okonjo's family could be eating and living lavishly , why should a citizen of dis country die of hunger? I weep for dis country, let the government create an avenue to pay money into individual's account every month and I'm sure a lot of pple will live and survive

1 Like

Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by BrightEye(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2015
Hmm, truely, 'Ti ounje bati kuro ninu ise, abuse buse!!'

that's why you always own your hungry neighbours a helping hand, if you have the power to.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by fkaz(m): 9:04am On May 22, 2015
Mogidi:

There you go again, you want to tribalize the issue. You are not even ashamed of your uncle mr Madagu who gave birth to late Munachi who can't take care of his child and your sister chinonye who brought her 16 years old younger sister Amarachi Ukoha down to Ibadan, only to die of hunger. Mr Ayokunle, a yoruba man in his nature is only accommodating grin your sister who fled from his village to Ibadan for survived, but only to come and compound to mr Ayokunle problem and you are happy typing trash.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Tunami(m): 9:11am On May 22, 2015
oro di hun, my lesson from this story is that one shld cut his/her coat according to his/her size. If u knw that u dnt have enough money to cater for a wife nd children dnt marry talkless of having a child.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by nerodenero: 9:12am On May 22, 2015
Poverty na curse o!

How can a 20year old man who couldn't sustain himself, sustain others? Why is that in most cases, the poor are always too fast to marry and have children despite having no means of sustenance? Why bring a child into this world just to suffer

I believe one should fight his way out of poverty than engage in acts that would further plunge oneself into penury.

Shame on the government for denying the masses basic needs like social benefits while they live in luxury.

I pray their souls find rest and peace.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:12am On May 22, 2015
adeekiti:
If madueke and okonjo's family could be eating and living lavishly , why should a citizen of dis country die of hunger? I weep for dis country, let the government create an avenue to pay money into individual's account every month and I'm sure a lot of pple will live and survive

Madueke is not the the governor of Oyo State neither is Okonjo Iwuala your commissioner for Agriculture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by tucky200(m): 9:14am On May 22, 2015
The man lazy jare,can't he goan work..abi dem dey fight war for ibadan ni
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:17am On May 22, 2015
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by CSTR2: 9:26am On May 22, 2015
They can't even feed their people. Very sad indeed.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:26am On May 22, 2015
Too bad. but there is no civil war going down there, why are children dieing of hunger.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by An2elect2(f): 9:29am On May 22, 2015
Children do not die of hunger in Nigeria anyhow except in emergency situations. This is strange.
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by kcpragmatik(m): 9:35am On May 22, 2015
In the spirit of pragmatism I wish to remind friends, fans and well-wishers that I would be visiting (Save the Children Home, World bank) an Orphanage home within Owerri on 24th, May. And equally to remind those of us that have pledged support and are willing to touch lives to please try redeem their pledges.

There is enough to go round everyone in the world. Please let us begin to make a difference in our own little way.

Reach Pragmatic on 08131627924
#WorldPragmaticDay
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:40am On May 22, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Madueke is not the the governor of Oyo State neither is Okonjo Iwuala your commissioner for Agriculture
are u not aware of the money dey looted?sometime I just regret the way some Nigerians behave, we all know what's going on, when some pple try to fight for the right of the citizens pple like u will go behind back to praise the so called thieves in politics, let's keep damaging things because u av a food to eat dis morning does not mean everyone out there has eaten
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:43am On May 22, 2015
How can a 20 year old be the biological mother of a 16yr old.

Southwest junk journalism
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by fkaz(m): 9:55am On May 22, 2015
WombRaiders:

Wonderful! Is it that you can't read or you are unable to comprehend?
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:35am On May 22, 2015
Mogidi:
koni daa fun e!
Re: Two Children Die Of Hunger In Ibadan by gratiaeo(m): 10:59am On May 22, 2015
WombRaiders:

The story get K leg. How can a girl of 16yrs die of hunger inside room, they tied her leg?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PDP Gets 7-day Ultimatum To Pay N360m Campaign Debt / Checkout Hilarious Photo Of President Buhari And Aisha / Igbo Youths Want Buhari To Ensure Geometric Power Begins Operation In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.