Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth (757 Views)

PHOTO: Nigerian Man Stabs A Fellow Nigerian To Death In Ghana Over Toothbrush / Exposed! My Fellow Igbo Man Claiming SS / Eziachi: Dearest Jonathan & My Fellow Igbo Brothers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 3:47pm On May 23, 2015
I bring with me greetings from our elders(whom I despised for the bad legacy they passed unto our generation) and also from our younger ones(who pray we don't pass such legacy unto them) and I hope you are at peace. I don't know how well you are doing, what I know is that; there are millions like you out there that are not doing well at all; male and female, fool and wise,learned and unlearned, ignorant and knowledgeable, hausa, igbo and yoruba, muslim and christian alike. The consequences of the failure to match political independence with social and economic development had been devastating than they will ever be. These consequences have brought to our doorsteps; poverty, unemployment, conflicts, strife, terrorism, collapse of educational system and the list continue... I am not saying this to spoil your day for you knew that it's true and you've been wanting to know why this is happening so as to have an understanding of the solution. There is only one answer and explanation for this happenings- the Nigerian state has failed.

The failure of the Nigerian state was never our fault and can never be our fault as history was there to witness it but the failure to resuscitate the Nigerian state to rise up to its existence and develop for the good of the people- being a regulator of power and a provider of public benefits- will be ours. Allow me to take you down memory lane so as to understand why we are here today. During the military regime which are popularly known as unpopular and that which lack legitimacy within the Nigeria borders and outside it, government had to rely on force and manipulation to secure the support of the people, consequently, this denies Nigerians the opportunity of participating in the determination of the events that affect and shape their lives.

In doing this, the Nigerian state become more of an instrument of power than a provider of public benefits which eventually deny it the kind of public support to thrive. On one hand, the military dictators got absolute control of government while on the other hand, the citizens grew indifferent to government which is now- the Nigerian legacy. This resulted into the collapse of the Nigerian state while citizens find succour in their respective ethnic group which further disintegrate Nigeria. This led to what I term the "Nigerian syndrome"- As far as I am okay, I'm not concerned about Nigeria. Forgetting that as far as Nigeria is not okay, people around you won't be okay. Personal things is now the new trend, collective things has long been sunk in the atlantic ocean beyond our border.

On the arrival of democracy at the shores of lagos in 1999, we all greeted her with smiles on our faces and hearts full of joy in our cultural wares and carry her to Abuja together, without respect for anybody's ethnicity or religion with the expectation of a better tomorrow. But I am bold to tell you today that our good has become bad, our bad has become worse and our worse is now worst. Our education system has suffered more blows than it did during the military days and its now in shambles, unemployment is at its greatest heights, poverty ravages us the more, we are not sure about the safety of our lives in our homes not to talk of the streets, ethnicity is being promoted, our democratic processes has negated the principles and theories of mathematics(16 is greater than 19 and 5 is greater than 26), old men linger in pain, promising talents died unfulfilled, education is denied the resources required for development, faces shrouded with bitterness, personal relationship and fear of impeachment is now prioritised over national security, corruption is the lingua franca in our fatherland, and yet, all we do is fight ourselves in the name of religion which is a personal thing and also in the name of ethnicity which is an accident of birth while those that plunder our resources unite despite their ethnic and religious differences.

Dear fellow Nigerian youth, if you really want this democracy of ours to resuscitate the Nigerian state, for it to rise up to its existence and develop for the good of the people the way I have been wanting it, then you will not only participate in the management of our affairs(Nigeria) and ready to protect this right but you must be ready to hold anybody who calls himself/herself a leader and every public office holder responsible and accountable for their doing and undoing. Lastly, I plead with you to be determined in making sure that those who are in public offices are responsible, accountable and responsive; to put aside ethnicity and religion for our common and mutual interest- national interest; to become subject of history by exercising control over events that will affect and shape your life and to be fully involve in this mental revolution and re-orientation. Till next time...                                                  
@AAbiolat
www.abiolaoakintunde.
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 23, 2015
We don hear
I hate "change"
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by 2cato: 3:57pm On May 23, 2015
When every dick and harry will fold their hands tie wrapper and put tooth pick for mouth waiting for allocation from oil.
Divide the country and allow every regeon to develop them selves or perish then come back and tell me if we need to read all of the above.
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 4:50pm On May 23, 2015
2cato:
When every dick and harry will fold their hands tie wrapper and put tooth pick for mouth waiting for allocation from oil.
Divide the country and allow every regeon to develop them selves or perish then come back and tell me if we need to read all of the above.
This is not about regions nor is it about dependency on allocation from oil revenue, rather, it is about you and I rising up to our obligations and responsibilities in a collective effort to make this country of ours great and hold our public office holders responsible for their adequacy and inadequacy
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 4:54pm On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
We don hear
I hate "change"
As much as you might hate "change", this will not change the fact that "change" is inevitable in life and the processes that constitute life itself
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 23, 2015
i am a biafran .

i reject the term Nigerian ,
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 5:13pm On May 23, 2015
TRIBALSTOOGE:
i am a biafran .

i reject the term Nigerian ,

I can see...

If you are a biafran, then the term Nigeria does not apply to you my dear compatriot
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 23, 2015
Cofactor:

I can see...

If you are a biafran, then the term Nigeria does not apply to you my dear compatriot

yes i am . yes yes

yes i am biafran .
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by 2cato: 5:18pm On May 23, 2015
Cofactor:

This is not about regions nor is it about dependency on allocation from oil revenue, rather, it is about you and I rising up to our obligations and responsibilities in a collective effort to make this country of ours great and hold our public office holders responsible for their adequacy and inadequacy
if you want to see reduction in corruption to the bearest minimum in nigeria encourage every states to stop looking up to oil then come and thank me later
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 10:38pm On May 23, 2015
2cato:
if you want to see reduction in corruption to the bearest minimum in nigeria encourage every states to stop looking up to oil then come and thank me later
You think a crackdown on corruption can fix all our problems? I'm afraid it can't. The economy is not affected by the corruption factor alone and governance is not marred by corruption alone also.
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by An2elect2(f): 10:57pm On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
We don hear I hate "change"
I hate transformation corruption angry
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 11:19pm On May 23, 2015
An2elect2:

I hate transformation corruption angry
Thank you jare... Please enlighten him the more
Re: Open Letter To My Fellow Nigerian Youth by Cofactor: 9:47am On Jun 27, 2015
We all need to work on ourselves to build a better Nigeria... Biafrans must abandon their self-determination intoxication and join Nigeria's compatriots of Igbo origin to build the Southeast and Nigeria at large

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Returns Tomorrow In The Company Of Shagari / Your Congratulatory Message To General Buhari / Democracy Day: Fayose Congratulates Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.