Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can (1471 Views)

Ezekwesili: We’re Being Reminded Of Military Era. The Cable. / We Are No Longer In Military Era, Abdulsalami Peace Committee Tells Buhari / Soldiers & Criminal Execution(firing Squad)in Nigeria During Military Era (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 10:43am On May 24, 2015
When the reality sets in after swearing in of buhari, those advocating for probe will see months or even years of probing and contradicting evidences to nail anyone, the truth is that the president even with his veto power cannot direct the judge to jail anyone, evidence has to be established and the court judge in his discretion outside the presidents control may or may not jail anyone and the greatest task facing the judiciary is the establishment of proof of evidence which is as a result of loopholes in our constitution, those advising buhari to leave immediate responsibility of quickly settling down to provide what is immediate need of Nigerian s but to proceed on fruitless and time consuming probe are mis advising buhari, I am not against probe its good but starting with probe and leaving the immediate need will backfire take it or leave it, we experience it in 1998 when obj was setting up panels to investigate abacha stolen money and bamaiyi and others yerima of zamfara just introduced sharia law in the north, and that ignited churches burnt and chaos in the country, oputa panel never see the light of the day, ibb and buhari never came. Jonathan too can decide not to come because of the immunity he enjoys as a past president anyway have your say, but if you want to insult then your are scared of constructive argument and retarded and deluded fellow, just leave my thread okay or just wait for my response on your insult because I'm not a gentle man, have your say pls
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Diddy58(m): 10:51am On May 24, 2015
For mind you think so. make ask you, who come be the court or th the judge? . ebi like say you follow. ..........
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by mikolo80: 10:51am On May 24, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
When the reality sets in after swearing in of buhari, those advocating for probe will see months or even years of probing and contradicting evidences to nail anyone, the truth is that the president even with his veto power cannot direct the judge to jail anyone until evidence is established, and the greatest task facing the judiciary is the establishment of proof of evidence which is as a result of loopholes in our constitution, those advising buhari to leave immediate responsibility of quickly settling down to provide what is immediate need of Nigerian s but to proceed on fruitless and time consuming probe are mis advising buhari, I am not against probe its good but starting with probe and leaving the immediate need will backfire take it or leave it, we experience it in 1998 when obj was setting up panels to investigate abacus stolen money and bamaiyi and others yerima of zamfara just introduced sharia law in the north, and that ignited churches burnt and chaos in the country, oputa panel never see the light of the day, ibb and buhari never came. Jonathan too can decide not to come because of the immunity he enjoys as a past president anyway have your say, but if you want to insult then your are scared of constructive argument and retarded and deluded fellow, just leave my thread okay or just wait for my response on your insult because I'm not a gentle man, have your say pls
there's more than one way to skin a cat. Judicial commission,code of conduct bureau can be used to speed things up. Defendants can be refused bail,assets frozen.look at bode George and tafa balogun,Cecilia and erastus trials can be speedy if you appoint special courts,and jonathan or any past president does not have any immunity.the military just had more swag and their ogboju worked due to impunity as it was always a fellow conspirator go aso rock.not quite the same with buhari

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Diddy58(m): 10:52am On May 24, 2015
For your mind you think so. make i ask you, who come be the court or the judge? . ebi like say you follow. ..........
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Nobody: 10:54am On May 24, 2015
The OP needs a dose of NuhuRibadol

Do not be carried away by the failure of GEJ's 5yrs regime to think that govt is usually helpless in dealing ruthlessly with corrupt people.

First of all..you should understand that the court judgement or length of the trial is not a problem...if the court likes, they should drag the case for 10yrs and later discharge the criminal...

But just like Nuhu Ribadu/Obasanjo did it...the main deterrent to corruption is the public humiliation and non-preferential treatment meted out on corrupt people.

Remember that even Tafa Balogun, fmr IGP was dragged on the floor...hehhehe....that is what we r talkibg about..not some delayed/miscarried court judgment.

If u want the case to drag on for 10yrs...then be prepared to sleep in detention for 10yrs...cos the prosecution this time around will seriously object to bail...unlike during GEJ's time.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Nobody: 10:54am On May 24, 2015
op...justice can be speeded up. Leave it to Buhari.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 11:00am On May 24, 2015
soe:
The OP needs a dose of NuhuRibadol

Do not be carried away by the failure of GEJ's 5yrs regime to think that govt is usually helpless in dealing ruthlessly with corrupt people.

First of all..you should understand that the court judgement or length of the trial is not a problem...if the court likes, they should drag the case for 10yrs and later discharge the criminal...

But just like Nuhu Ribadu/Obasanjo did it...the main deterrent to corruption is the public humiliation and non-preferential treatment meted out on corrupt people.

Remember that even Tafa Balogun, fmr IGP was dragged on the floor...hehhehe....that is what we r talkibg about..not some delayed/miscarried court judgment.

If u want the case to drag on for 10yrs...then be prepared to sleep in detention for 10yrs...cos the prosecution this time around will seriously object to bail...unlike during GEJ's time.
your comprehension is retarde.d tafa grin balogun case and others were speedy because of proof of evidence was there in the first place, the present administration has got the time to cover up their holes and arrange their defence
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Nobody: 11:02am On May 24, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
tafa baogun case and others were speedy because of proof of evidence was there in the first place, the present administration has got the time to cover up their holes and arrange their defence
you think it is easy to cover up 20trillion naira loot?

By the time we team up femi falana with festus keyamo....oh my goodness...

Wait and see.. Get a plasma TV cos it will do you like film trick in your eyes
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 11:05am On May 24, 2015
soe:
you think it is easy to cover up 20trillion naira loot?

Wait and see.. Get a plasma TV cos it will do you like film trick in your eyes
are you not aware of the other forensic report that Clear's the air? And sanusi reducing it to 12 billion that's the contradiction that will kill the case and waste s time just watch
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 11:09am On May 24, 2015
mikolo80:
there's more than one way to skin a cat. Judicial commission,code of conduct bureau can be used to speed things up. Defendants can be refused bail,assets frozen.look at bode George and tafa balogun,Cecilia and erastus trials can be speedy if you appoint special courts,and jonathan or any past president does not have any immunity.the military just had more swag and their ogboju worked due to impunity as it was always a fellow conspirator go aso rock.not quite the same with buhari
you are not aware that the judiciary has an autonomy now on their own they enjoy that's why tanbuwal can win the fg and some APC that decamp from PDP were enjoying it can't easily be changed it takes time
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Nobody: 11:09am On May 24, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
are you not aware of the other forensic report that Clear's the air? And sanusi reducing it to 12 billion that's the contradiction that will kill the case and waste s time just watch
there was no forensic report...pwc audit stated clearly that they did not do any professional audit cos they had no access to the account documents.

We will revisit the accounts after may 29
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:48am On May 24, 2015
So datz why they are doing as they like bcoz they feel he can jail dem. I shake my head for dem. They are stewpid

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by mikolo80: 12:12pm On May 24, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
you are not aware that the judiciary has an autonomy now on their own they enjoy that's why tanbuwal can win the fg and some APC that decamp from PDP were enjoying it can't easily be changed it takes time
No it doesn't.it depends on the president.he is the one who appoints attorney general and supreme court judges. If he picks radicals like him then change will be swift. If he picks dilly dallyers then we will have issues with speedy justice
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by sammyj: 12:36pm On May 24, 2015
True but we will make we will make him and the legislators put structures in place to jail any corrupt fools in Nigeria . Never shall we be taken for granted against !!!!!! cheesy
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 7:56pm On May 24, 2015
mikolo80:
No it doesn't.it depends on the president.he is the one who appoints attorney general and supreme court judges. If he picks radicals like him then change ill be swift. If he picks dilly dallyers then we will have issues with speedy justice
you sounded like a novice, the appointment of supreme court Judges is highly a function of the recommendation of the NJC national judicial council which has now obtained its own separate autonomy constitutionally to present candidates of their own volition outside the executive's control to the President for appointment, and so ab initio on this issue the President is just a rubber stamp at its best because the judges will use their Powers to frustrate the President if he chose to impose candidate outside the njc or FJSc will be nulled, I hope buhari will be tutored to know that this is Democracy and not disgrace himself and reduced to barking without result
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 7:59pm On May 24, 2015
soe:
there was no forensic report...pwc audit stated clearly that they did not do any professional audit cos they had no access to the account documents.

We will revisit the accounts after may 29
who are the we? The alleged 20 billion dollars is also speculations too, no solid evidence to back it up even recently sanusi reduced it to 12billion dollars which is contradictory and invalid until proven in the court.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by kreamidiva(f): 8:20pm On May 24, 2015
I doubt if the O.P is a Nigerian.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Lanretoye(m): 8:54pm On May 24, 2015
Op i hope you no follow chop anymoney, cos ur sentence dey do rehearsal.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 7:45am On May 25, 2015
Lanretoye:
Op i hope you no follow chop anymoney, cos ur sentence dey do rehearsal.
its a pity that you can't contribute to the discussion again, the point remains that buhari has no power to jail anybody, he remains at the mercy of the judiciary to prosecute any perceived wrongdoer
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Lanretoye(m): 11:44am On May 25, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
its a pity that you can't contribute to the discussion again, the point remains that buhari has no power to jail anybody, he remains at the mercy of the judiciary to prosecute any perceived wrongdoer

Where were you when OBJ was using ICPC and EFCC to track down the some people over alleged corrupt practices...
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 25, 2015
Where is Buhari? Come backiooooooo, we need fuel
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by comos: 12:56pm On May 25, 2015
Lanretoye:

Where were you when OBJ was using ICPC and EFCC to track down the some people over alleged corrupt practices...
where now, are the people OBJ track down,
are they in Jail or walking freely.
Bode gorge, Tafa-balogun, Alameseghia,e.t.c are all walking the street freely.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by AhmedMustapha(m): 1:00pm On May 25, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
When the reality sets in after swearing in of buhari, those advocating for probe will see months or even years of probing and contradicting evidences to nail anyone, the truth is that the president even with his veto power cannot direct the judge to jail anyone, evidence has to be established and the court judge in his discretion outside the presidents control may or may not jail anyone and the greatest task facing the judiciary is the establishment of proof of evidence which is as a result of loopholes in our constitution, those advising buhari to leave immediate responsibility of quickly settling down to provide what is immediate need of Nigerian s but to proceed on fruitless and time consuming probe are mis advising buhari, I am not against probe its good but starting with probe and leaving the immediate need will backfire take it or leave it, we experience it in 1998 when obj was setting up panels to investigate abacha stolen money and bamaiyi and others yerima of zamfara just introduced sharia law in the north, and that ignited churches burnt and chaos in the country, oputa panel never see the light of the day, ibb and buhari never came. Jonathan too can decide not to come because of the immunity he enjoys as a past president anyway have your say, but if you want to insult then your are scared of constructive argument and retarded and deluded fellow, just leave my thread okay or just wait for my response on your insult because I'm not a gentle man, have your say pls
What a funny man
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by Lanretoye(m): 5:20pm On May 25, 2015
comos:

where now, are the people OBJ track down,
are they in Jail or walking freely.
Bode gorge, Tafa-balogun, Alameseghia,e.t.c are all walking the street freely.
Most of the monies they stole were retrieved,tafa was jailed even though a short sentence.But our dear Gej granted some of them pardon.
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by mikolo80: 6:58pm On May 25, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
you sounded like a novice, the appointment of supreme court Judges is highly a function of the recommendation of the NJC national judicial council which has now obtained its own separate autonomy constitutionally to present candidates of their own volition outside the executive's control to the President for appointment, and so ab initio on this issue the President is just a rubber stamp at its best because the judges will use their Powers to frustrate the President if he chose to impose candidate outside the njc or FJSc will be nulled, I hope buhari will be tutored to know that this is Democracy and not disgrace himself and reduced to barking without result
Njc nominates president appoints.what id president refuses to appoint until he gets what he wants.?
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 11:54pm On May 28, 2015
mikolo80:
Njc nominates president appoints.what id president refuses to appoint until he gets what he wants.?
sorry, i missed your comment during the week, i was busy on another job, back to topic;section 238 (4) States clearly the limits and and boundaries of the president, that is the President has no option than to accent to the recommendations of the NJC only the 2/3rd of the senate can reject the appointment of the supreme court judge,or better still the President has only option to go to court and its still the same judiciary that will rule in their own favour according to the constitution requirements , Section 58 (5) gave only the 2\3rd of the senate powers to override the president in the appointment of supreme court judges, so the president is at the mercy of the court NJc and the Senate to prosecute anyone, president must respect the separation of powers of the judiciary and the parliament to carry out his duties, president cannot jail anyone through direction of judges!
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by BERNIMOORE: 11:57pm On May 28, 2015
AhmedMustapha:

What a funny man
what's funny? Can't Jonathan send his lawyers?
Re: Buhari Has No Power To Jail Anybody, Like The Military Era, only court can by mikolo80: 11:57am On May 29, 2015
BERNIMOORE:
sorry, i missed your comment during the week, i was busy on another job, back to topic;section 238 (4) States clearly the limits and and boundaries of the president, that is the President has no option than to accent to the recommendations of the NJC only the 2/3rd of the senate can reject the appointment of the supreme court judge,or better still the President has only option to go to court and its still the same judiciary that will rule in their own favour according to the constitution requirements , Section 58 (5) gave only the 2\3rd of the senate powers to override the president in the appointment of supreme court judges, so the president is at the mercy of the court NJc and the Senate to prosecute anyone, president must respect the separation of powers of the judiciary and the parliament to carry out his duties, president cannot jail anyone through direction of judges!
Agreed.....on paper.....in reality mr president is the alpha and the omega. Only tinubu Amaechi and sls have called the president out in recent times using the constitution.most political appointees are too subservient or too cowardly or too ignorant to challenge the president what with the sword of efcc hanging over them

(1) (Reply)

Give Her Bele, You Get 18 Years / H / TB Joshua Reacts To Gay Law In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.