Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,705 members, 7,837,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters (733 Views)

10 Logical Reasons Why Nigeria Will Fell To Boko Haram - A Civilian Perspective. / REVEALED: Details Of How President Jonathan And Obasanjo Fell Apart. / Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by Jarus(m): 5:37pm On Feb 13, 2009
I have gotten a message from GTB, I think, a couple of times on my transactions with them. I have also lost my ATM cards several times and I have had to request for another one. So seeing a mail or text from GTB is something I'm used to.

However, I got an email this morning, purportedly from GTB, asking that there was a mix up in my information with them and they discovered this while updating their records for the new year - 2009.

Alerts:System MaintenanceThursday, February 12, 2009 5:11 PM
From: "Guaranty Trust Bank Plc" <security@[b]gtbplc.[/b]com>Add sender to Contacts To

Dear Customers,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures in the year 2009, we have detected a slight error in your account information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://ibank.gtbplc.com/ibank2/login.aspx

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Note: Username (Account Number) and Password are numeric. Refer to your e-banking signup form.

Thank you for choosing, Guaranty Trust Bank.

* Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be received.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995-2009 Guaranty Trust Bank Plc . All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

I had had to fill forms in the course of my transaction with the bank several times, and I knew I had been using address different from the one I used when I opened the account, having changed address. So it was easy for me to fall 'Possible Reason 1'.
I opened the link as directed to update my information, and a form popped up. Not even being asked my account details ever made me think it could be a scam.
I was filling the form until I had a little challenge. I didn't want to rack my brain, and since I had earlier plan to be in the bank later today for another transaction,I decided to ask for more clarifications when I get to the bank. I printed the mail and the form.
Few hours later, after finishing my earlier planned transaction with the bank, I branched at their Customer service desk to complian about the challenge I had filling the form they sent to me. I was surprised being told the mail was not from them. And truly, their website is gtbank.com, not gtbplc.com used to send the mail to me.
If I had filled that form, inputing my account details, and my account drained, na disaster o, because na dat account almost all my little peanut dey o!!!!
The GTB customer care lady narrated to me stories of people that have fallen victims. Thank God o
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by mustafar1: 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2009
are u sure just by clicking the link they didnt prompt u to install spyware ati be be lo.
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by ow11(m): 5:44pm On Feb 13, 2009
Good move by you but I'm afraid more people will continue to fall for this type of scam until enough awareness is sent around and people would somehow resort to visiting their branches to confirm emails or by some long shot risk getting their account restricted if they do not fill a form online undecided
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by Jarus(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2009
ow11:

Good move by you but I'm afraid more people will continue to fall for this type of scam until enough awareness is sent around and people would somehow resort to visiting their branches to confirm emails or by some long shot risk getting their account restricted if they do not fill a form online undecided
Sincerely, it was an almost perfect job. Easy to fall for. I can't imagine myself almost falling to scam, by email for that matter.

Here is the form: http://www.jadralec.information/images/zoola/ibank.gtbplc.com/ibank.gtbplc.com/ibank2/index.html

Verify Your Account Information's

Online Realtime Balances and Transactions

Please enter the required information's to update.
User ID*

Password*

Debit Card Number*
i.e ATM/Cash Card
Name on Card*

PIN*

Expiry date [MM/YY]*

Security Question*

Answer*

Email Address*

Forgot your password?

Neatly designed with GTB colours
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by mustafar1: 5:57pm On Feb 13, 2009
Jarus u come post the link here make enough people click am supply their IP address for their future spying? grin shocked shocked grin
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by lucabrasi(m): 5:57pm On Feb 13, 2009
must_a_far:

ati be be lo.
translation please,for the benefit of the rest of us
@poster
guess you were lucky,however being extra conscious of sensitive details including bank correspondents and transactions cuts across the whole wide world
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by Jarus(m): 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2009
ati be be lo = and so on
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by mustafar1: 6:00pm On Feb 13, 2009
lucabrasi:

translation please,for the benefit of the rest of us
@poster
guess you were lucky,however being extra conscious of sensitive details including bank correspondents and transactions cuts across the whole wide world

lucab, which kind of jamb kweshun is this? its too late on a friday to ask such. anyway translation: ati be be lo AKA etc etc etc etc etc etc
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Feb 13, 2009
@Poster, any idea where that mail could have come from? Was there a phone number and contact included?
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by seyibrown(f): 10:48am On Feb 14, 2009
I get supid emails like that from time to time, from banks I don't even have anything to do with. Most of them are so real that the links takes you to an exact copy of the original website.

I get this one from 'INTERSWITCH NIGERIA' everyday sent to 'undisclosed recipients' courtesy of some bastard who has got nothing better to do with his life.

If you have got good protection on your computer, and you are not sure if the email is fake, click on the link and wait a few seconds. Your browser should warn you that you are proceeding to a fruadulent website.
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by Jarus(m): 11:39am On Feb 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, any idea where that mail could have come from? Was there a phone number and contact included?
No phone number or contact. Designed in such a way as if it's from GTB itself.
My mind is telling me that one staff of their e-banking unit must have hand in this thing.
Re: How I Nearly Fell To Fraudsters by c33b33(m): 1:08pm On Feb 14, 2009
i almost fell victim too,the website looked exactly like gtb's, what saved me was my friend who was hurrying me to follow to the bank so he can open a current acct,when i got there i told a friend who works there and he told me it was a fraud.I wondered what would have happened to my dad's cash!

(1) (Reply)

Should Southern Nigerians Wait For This? / Man Commits Suicide In Church, Pastor Appeases Sango / Why Should We Honour the Thieves At Aso Villa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.