Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,376 members, 7,819,367 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read (488 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari / Why I Refused To Devalue Naira, Remove Fuel Subsidy - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read by frankijege(m): 7:21pm On May 26, 2015
In 2012, I supported the Occupy Nigeria movement and did join in the protest against the removal of subsidy. Prior to that protest, I had published a piece entitled 'The Removal of Fuel Subsidy: An Affront on the Nigerian People'. Looking back, and in line with recent happenings in the country, I don't regret my decision. Given another opportunity, I would do same.
My decision is hinged on obvious reasons. First, even though all factors point to that direction, Nigeria is not a police state where the president wakes up and makes a proclamation expecting the people to take and swallow it, even though it is bitter. You cannot remove fuel subsidy without putting in place mechanisms or shock absorbers to assist the people survive the harsh impact it would create.
Secondly, the failure of the deregulation of diesel underscores my point. The idea then was that government should stop subsidising the price of diesel in order to allow private individuals run the sector; through that, market forces will force the price down. Supporters of this often cite the GSM example. Sadly, several years after, the price of diesel is not just high, but outrageously high!

Thirdly, are we supposed to be importing refined oil? Why can't we get our refineries to work in order to meet our consumption demands? The daily consumption of petroleum is put at forty million litres. A large portion of that is to power generators. Fix our refineries, fix the problem of power and we wouldn't be importing refined fuel. Besides, why can't we give crude oil in exchange for refined fuel. The practice of selling crude oil for it to be refined, and still buying the refined oil is disheartening.

I understand and appreciate the fact that petroleum subsidy should not stay, but, we cannot continue like this. The suffering the people experienced these past weeks was unprecedented. People were forced to buy fuel at high prices (mostly at the price they ordinarily should buy, if subsidy is removed). But did we also notice the increase in transport fare and the price of foodstuffs? How much does the average worker take home at the end of the month? My argument is simple; remove fuel subsidy, but before you do that, put mitigating factors in places to help the citizens survive the hardships that may follow. Fix our refineries, fix the problem of power and get the thieves milking us dry. Removing fuel subsidy without doing any of these, is like asking the people to pay for the ineptitude and failure of government, both past and present!

1 Like

Re: Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read by Fragilefunds(m): 7:23pm On May 26, 2015
ftccccccccccccc grin
Re: Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read by Rosemary216(f): 7:27pm On May 26, 2015
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 26, 2015
I just wonder why basic infrastructures is still our problems in this country. Lawd have mercy
Re: Before We Remove Fuel Subsidy; A Must Read by importexpert(m): 7:28pm On May 26, 2015
source or who u are

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Is Coming With Massive Employment For The Youths / Guys What Do You Think A 23 Year Old Guy Should Be Doing? / Sacked Lecturers Reinstated By Gov. Nyesom Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.