Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,888 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Some Crimes Are Worse Than Murder By Chinda Moses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Crimes Are Worse Than Murder By Chinda Moses (288 Views)

Yoruba Pastors Are Worse Than Boko Haram - Nnamdi Kanu. / 14 Ways We Are Worse Off Since Buhari Became President / Gale Of Defection, The Reality In Bayelsa By Chinda Moses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Crimes Are Worse Than Murder By Chinda Moses by Carl77: 8:59pm On May 26, 2015
“I didn’t kill anyone.”

That was Governor Rotimi Amaechi’s recent defense of his tenure as governor—a comment that aptly offers a fitting summation of his administration: outlandish, shortsighted, insensitive and complete out of tune with the public opinion.

The occasion in question was his 50th birthday anniversary public lecture in Port Harcourt.

Birthdays are typically fun affairs. But with less than 72 hours to go before—what the law has decreed to be—Wike’s inevitable inauguration, Amaechi was understandably in a poor mood. His look constantly switched between bored and exhausted as he waited out the eloquent speech by Governor Duke. His impeding eviction was not the only thing on his mind.

The lecture was even more unique in that it was hosted at almost the same time as an event chaired by his successor and current political rival, Nyesom Wike, whose topic of discussion “Good Governance in Rivers State” was a clear shout across the state to the incumbent governor. “We will not be intimidated” was Nyesom Wike’s reiterated chant during the event, as the Gov-elect boldly promised to probe and retrieved embezzled funds. And if there were any doubts that the message had been received by Amaechi, he quickly dispelled those within minutes of taking the stage.

Probing the past government, Amaechi suggested, was not the best way to begin a new tenure. “I refused to probe Dr. Odili’s tenure because when they ask of my report, it won’t be who you probed but what you did”

Many of those seated must have been squirming in discomfort because the statement reeked with the subtle message of a plea for pardon. Amaechi must have sensed this because he quickly switched from the defensive to the illogically offensive.

“If Wike accuses me of corruption, he was my Chief of Staff for many years. A thief cannot call me corrupt. He was my Chief of Staff, if I have no records I have records on him. All the noise Wike is making is to have negotiation with us so they can stay in office illegally but we must go to court.”

Amaechi’s statement was absurd in its daring. Here was a governor who had been flying the flag of crusader for change, suggesting that he had records that proved that his chief of Staff had been corrupt under his tenure, and yet—amazingly—had chosen to do absolutely nothing about it. It suggested that the governor was either weak, inept, complicit of the crime, or a bold-faced liar—none of which was a good look to carry.

Many critics have observed that Amaechi, unlike other governors, has let his political vision evolve into a personal vendetta and this was quickly evident in his barbs aimed at Wike. Where Nyesom Wike has kept his attacks fairly civil, by focusing on the past administration and its activities (or lack thereof), Amaechi’s attacks have become very personal.

“I tarred the road to Wike’s father house.” He proudly announced, to muted applause and uncomfortable shuffles from the crowd. If the guests thought that it would end there, he quickly dispelled their notions, switching from the uncomfortable to the outright bizarre.

“I’m a Christian, I have never killed anybody and I will never kill anybody. Instead of killing anybody I will give up my ambition.” Amaechi ranted, “In a bid for Wike to be governor, he hired Atake, they killed a young man and cut his private part. They slit a young man’s throat and hung him on a tree.”

Inspired by his personal fury, he went on.

“God will no longer allow people who kill people be governor of Rivers state. He will allow only those who worship him. I am not perfect. If I said I was, I would be lying. My priest continues to pray for me, he has told me God says we will defeat Nyesom Wike. God will not allow a killer to become Governor but we must learn to be patient. You must share part of my spirit of resistance.”

Amaechi’s TV broadcast of his public lecture didn’t last long. Channels TV was so stunned by the nearly-rabid address and attack of the Governor that they were forced to cut the broadcast mid-speech as it violated their code of conduct. But it wasn’t before Amaechi made a few odd statements.

He announced that he knew he was an honest man because his children told him so while he was in London, and that his kids had announced that the history of Nigeria would include his name. A wiser politician would probably have realized that revealing that your kids school in the United Kingdom, while teachers in your state sit at home starving from months of unpaid wages, or while student are forced to return from failed scholarships sponsored by your administration, is not a smart idea.

But the governor seemed blind to his mistakes. Everything around him was the fault of everything else but him. He even had an explanation for the poor showing to his event.

“The reason why this hall appears empty is because it is a 2000-seater.” He explained to the dozens of people listening to him.

It speaks volumes when an incumbent governor of one of the richest states in the country is unable to gather up to 2000 friends, aides or sycophants to grace his anniversary.

It is safe to say he will not be winning any awards for achievements any time soon.

http://watchdognews.net/right-of-reply-some-crimes-are-worse-than-murder-by-chinda-moses/

1 Like

Re: Some Crimes Are Worse Than Murder By Chinda Moses by Obijulius: 9:16pm On May 26, 2015
Amaechi has run mad.

What is left is for Buhari to condemn him and Tinubu to a mental hospital.

What a mess.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Aliyu Asks FG To Remove Fuel Subsidy Because It Breeds Corruption / Bomb Explosion Hits Maiduguri Mosque 30th May, 2015. / PDP Raises Alarm Over Fresh Plot To Remove Fayose; Begs Buhari To Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.