Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... (10026 Views)

What Course Would You Study If You Had The Chance To Go Back To School And Why? / Nigerian Institution With The Highest Yahoo Boys / Never Give Up On Your Dream (touching Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by AdoptedSon: 8:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
Harvard. Im Also A Nerd
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by princealexndre(m): 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Hi everyone... I'm The Super Nerd. And I'm a Christian... I'm a young medical scientist who's on a classified research scholarship online with Johns Hopkins University's School of Medicine's Brain Science Institute(BSI). I'm an Online Neurosciences Research Resident/Scholar with John Hopkins Medicine Bsi which I became after a rigorous screening exercise(I came out no.1 in all). I also hold a B.sc(Hons) in Human Anatomy from Unizik and I just got into my 2nd medical degree studies in medicine and surgery through D.E. after making the top merit list ranking me in the top 5.
But there's more to me... Every one of us have dreams and ambitions with regards to our academic pursuits and each of us have identified an institution that we dream of attending if we had the chance... I believe u can make that dream come through because Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve..... For every field out there, there's one or maybe 2-3 world class institutions that you believe you can learn the very best and highest from. Share it on this thread... You can still get there... Is it harvard? Stanford? MIT? Michigan? Karolinska? Oxford? Calgary? Cornell? Cambridge? Yale? Johns Hopkins? Caltech? Stellenbosch? UC San diego? UC San Franciso? UCLA? etc.
Though I'm currently on online research schorlarship with Johns Hopkins Medicine BSI, one of my top academic goals is to take and pass(with a record score) the USMLE to get into my dream medical institution, Johns Hopkins University Hospital(JHH), for my residency in Neurosurgery. According to the U.S. News and World Report, Johns Hopkins remain the world's no.1 in Neurosurgery and the U.S. No1 medical hospital(yep, they top Harvard's MGH). I also plan to become a top research investigator with Howard Hughes Medical Institute(HHMI). These are the least of my Godly-Inspired goals and ambitions... I know you all have yours, so tell me... What's your dream Institution? If given the chance right this moment to study anywhere in the world, where wud u go? You just might see the reasons to believe again and start working towards it or better still, you never know who's ready to give you that helping hand...

Cc: Lalasticlala
resuming university of Nevada next year for medicine and surgery
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Don't thank me yet Mr Durels... smiley

Honestly, I am very selective of mails I reply... same reason I haven't replied several mails from both within and outside NL...

This is apart from the fact that I am almost always busy with few days or weeks of exceptions though. smiley

No problem @ all.... I only wanted to get some info from you..
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
Harvard yet again.... smiley
Cool... so what course at Harvard then?
And you are a nerd too... that's fantastic.

AdoptedSon:
Harvard. Im Also A Nerd
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
Cool... and Congrats... but uhmm, you will start off with a pre-med major right?

Because that's the pathway in the US and Canada. And Nevada is in The US.

So, have you chosen your pre-med major? normally should last 3-4 years before 4 years of med school.

Unless the program is a rare combined 6year Bsc/MD program... wink

princealexndre:
resuming university of Nevada next year for medicine and surgery
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
Okay... but can't you ask it here? smiley

durels101:
No problem @ all.... I only wanted to get some info from you..
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Please does anyone know an undergraduate scholarship for Nigerian students to study abroad(medicine and surgery related) ... I really want to study outside the country... I would be very happy if I get a reply... Thanks in anticipation
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 18, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Okay... but can't you ask it here? smiley

Okay.... Please do you know of any undergraduate scholarship I can apply for(medicine and surgery related) to study outside the country??... I will be happy to hear from you soon
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by princealexndre(m): 11:19pm On Jun 18, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Cool... and Congrats... but uhmm, you will start off with a pre-med major right?

Because that's the pathway in the US and Canada. And Nevada is in The US.

So, have you chosen your pre-med major? normally should last 3-4 years before 4 years of med school.

Unless the program is a rare combined 6year Bsc/MD program... wink

yes something like that
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 19, 2016
Dreaming of General Surgery in Harvard Uni. Please Send me a pm i need your counsel.
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by SDAC: 9:41pm On Oct 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd
:
Cooool Sir! So tell me, why Stanford? Coz looking at ur course 4 masters, I think MIT mite suit u coz they have an energy initiative program sponsored by the U.S. GOVERNMENT dat makes them the university wit the highest research funding on Energy resources anywhere in da world.

please sir how good is Unizik in medicine
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by kennyjam: 10:36am On Oct 23, 2016
I really love this thread! Thanks The supernerd. I'm uplifted by your post, comments and replies to the asked questions. Let me say I'm an aspirant,aspiring for ABU, Mechanical Engineering. After my first degree(I'm going to graduate With a first class honour). Any advice you can give to someone eager to graduate with a first class? then, I wish to continue in MIT. GOD bless!
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by PaulWillbliz(m): 11:03am On Oct 23, 2016
Ok, I'm a first year student of Physical And Health Education (Human kinetic), OAU.
And i wish to further on, going for Masters in a foreign country, so I'm thinking Sweden or German will be a good idea, concerning their sporting activities and events. Or what do you think?
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Wow! Never thought this thread will be resurrected... Lolll

Okay Uhmmm... How do I say this? smiley

Unizik in medicine is still behind the big guns like UI, Unilag, Unilorin, UNN, ABU Zaria, and a few more.

But in truth, Unizik medicine is on the rise. One thing I love at Medzik (Unizik medicine) is the dynamism in their approach to study and teaching of courses in medicine and also in the teaching and training (albeit challenging) of the basic medicals like Human Anatomy (my first degree) and Human Physiology.

Unizik strives to use current medical info as obtainable in the best recommended med texts to teach and train her students unlike some medical schools (who got great reputation and are still ahead of Unizik in terms of prestige) who will rather stick to info used to teach their students from 15 or 10 yrs ago.

Medicine is progressive and teaching of it should be that way.... Always. smiley

This is what I love about Unizik medical school. smiley

But hey! Challenges abound... Things aren't perfect. wink

SDAC:
please sir how good is Unizik in medicine
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thanks so much Sir Kennyjam. smiley

I'm uplifted also by your positive feedback.

Mechanical Engineering huh? Coolll... wink

ABU Zaria... #doffsHat smiley

Well sir, you've obviously heard a lotta stuffs about how one should go about aiming for a first class finish.... So I don't wanna be conventional with you. smiley

I will tell you this.... Ask yourself why you need to make a "first class".

Once you can see the connection between a high achievement academically and YOUR VISION OF GETTING TO MIT..... Gbam!!! You're game!!! smiley AND BELIEVE ME SIR... NOTHING WILL STOP YOUR DRIVE COZ EVERYTIME YOU WAKE UP EACH DAY, YOU DO SO WITH YOUR MIT VISION IN MIND AND WHAT YOU MUST DO TO GET THERE. smiley

You know what you must do. The question is, "HOW BAD DO YOU WANNA EXCEL?" AND "ARE YOU READY TO EXHIBIT THE KINDA DISCIPLINE TO GET THERE?"

Brother, it's all on You and what you "see".

MIT is the god-school of engineering worldwide.... smiley You gotta have something that stands you out brain-wise apart from your firstclass result. You gotta have "boundless creativity" smiley

All the best My friend. smiley

kennyjam:
I really love this thread! Thanks The supernerd. I'm uplifted by your post, comments and replies to the asked questions. Let me say I'm an aspirant,aspiring for ABU, Mechanical Engineering. After my first degree(I'm going to graduate With a first class honour). Any advice you can give to someone eager to graduate with a first class? then, I wish to continue in MIT. GOD bless!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by kaymart: 12:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
I love the military, I'm a Rx already nd will like to practice in the military.
would like to learn more abou their modus operandi
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
P.H.E. (Human Kinetics)... smiley wow! Back in secondary school, I did and loved the version of P.H.E. I was exposed to... Really really medical and sports science-inclined.

Your masters idea of Sweden or Germany is a good idea but then you gotta really carry out an indepth research into what kind of masters' program you wanna get into. smiley

Sports Science as regards Human Kinetics is big big big business abroad. These are the experts who work with athletes and all the football clubs in the world as part of their health and fitness staff.

So my friend, do your research well and you will choose wisely. But Germany is cool. Same as Sweden. But you gotta get the specifics of your masters' goal. smiley

All the best Buddy... wink

PaulWillbliz:
Ok, I'm a first year student of Physical And Health Education (Human kinetic), OAU.
And i wish to further on, going for Masters in a foreign country, so I'm thinking Sweden or German will be a good idea, concerning their sporting activities and events. Or what do you think?
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
Okay cool.... I think only one person from previous posts of last year dropped something about "The US military academy" at westpoint (I think?). smiley

Now we got another military aspirant... smiley how awesome!

Sir, are you in Nigeria? Or abroad?

If in Nigeria, the NDA (Nigerian defence academy) is there. You just need to have a good O'level result.... (Any other qualification on top of that is a big bonus).

Also, what aspect of the military are you looking at? Intelligence? Infantry? Medicals? What? smiley

kaymart:
I love the military, I'm a Rx already nd will like to practice in the military.
would like to learn more abou their modus operandi
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by kennyjam: 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thanks Sir! You've already given me and I'm deeply grateful for that. See you at the apex. Let me go get it done, from my gatherings on how it can be done. Once More, Thank You sir!
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by tolam08(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Hi everyone... I'm The Super Nerd. And I'm a Christian... I'm a young medical scientist who's on a classified research scholarship online with Johns Hopkins University's School of Medicine's Brain Science Institute(BSI). I'm an Online Neurosciences Research Resident/Scholar with John Hopkins Medicine Bsi which I became after a rigorous screening exercise(I came out no.1 in all). I also hold a B.sc(Hons) in Human Anatomy from Unizik and I just got into my 2nd medical degree studies in medicine and surgery through D.E. after making the top merit list ranking me in the top 5.
But there's more to me... Every one of us have dreams and ambitions with regards to our academic pursuits and each of us have identified an institution that we dream of attending if we had the chance... I believe u can make that dream come through because Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve..... For every field out there, there's one or maybe 2-3 world class institutions that you believe you can learn the very best and highest from. Share it on this thread... You can still get there... Is it harvard? Stanford? MIT? Michigan? Karolinska? Oxford? Calgary? Cornell? Cambridge? Yale? Johns Hopkins? Caltech? Stellenbosch? UC San diego? UC San Franciso? UCLA? etc.
Though I'm currently on online research schorlarship with Johns Hopkins Medicine BSI, one of my top academic goals is to take and pass(with a record score) the USMLE to get into my dream medical institution, Johns Hopkins University Hospital(JHH), for my residency in Neurosurgery. According to the U.S. News and World Report, Johns Hopkins remain the world's no.1 in Neurosurgery and the U.S. No1 medical hospital(yep, they top Harvard's MGH). I also plan to become a top research investigator with Howard Hughes Medical Institute(HHMI). These are the least of my Godly-Inspired goals and ambitions... I know you all have yours, so tell me... What's your dream Institution? If given the chance right this moment to study anywhere in the world, where wud u go? You just might see the reasons to believe again and start working towards it or better still, you never know who's ready to give you that helping hand...

Cc: Lalasticlala
I already hold a bachelors degree in chemistry, the next stage is to proceed for MSc. and then PhD.
My first choice of country would be Germany----berlin
My second choice would be Australia--- University of Sydney
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by PaulWillbliz(m): 4:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
P.H.E. (Human Kinetics)... smiley wow! Back in secondary school, I did and loved the version of P.H.E. I was exposed to... Really really medical and sports science-inclined.

Your masters idea of Sweden or Germany is a good idea but then you gotta really carry out an indepth research into what kind of masters' program you wanna get into. smiley

Sports Science as regards Human Kinetics is big big big business abroad. These are the experts who work with athletes and all the football clubs in the world as part of their health and fitness staff.

So my friend, do your research well and you will choose wisely. But Germany is cool. Same as Sweden. But you gotta get the specifics of your masters' goal. smiley

All the best Buddy... wink

All thanks to you, bro. I'll keep this in mind, meanwhile do you have any idea of any programme in the post graduate level i might need to study afterwards.?
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2016
Well, it actually depends on your pathway and ambitions.

For somone in PHE (Human Kinetics), Sports sciences related courses/fields will suit your pathway.... Same as M.Ed programs too. (M.Ed programs refer to Master of Education in Health and Physical Education).

What you hope to achieve with this degree will determine what postgraduate course you take. smiley

PaulWillbliz:
All thanks to you, bro. I'll keep this in mind, meanwhile do you have any idea of any programme in the post graduate level i might need to study afterwards.?
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2016
Hmmm... Woww!!! Chemistry! smiley

Hey brother... Hope you have your eyes on a nobel in Chemistry someday... smiley

Okay uhmm... Congrats on your Bsc in Chemistry.

You're considering Berlin or Sydney... Hmmm... What course have you identified for ur masters program? And why Germany or australia? smiley

tolam08:

I already hold a bachelors degree in chemistry, the next stage is to proceed for MSc. and then PhD.
My first choice of country would be Germany----berlin
My second choice would be Australia--- University of Sydney
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by lordBintus(m): 1:05am On Oct 28, 2016
Although still a 2nd year student of Computer Engineering,I will love to end up investing my knowledge in the millitary force
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:23am On Oct 28, 2016
smiley smiley smiley **big smiles**

Okay... First of all, I wanna say, "Happy Birthday To You Sir" wink

Now... You are a computer Engineering undergrad but have great interest in the military.

Wow!!! So.... targeting the NDA after your first degree in the Technicals/ICT/Communications dept of the military?? Or reasoning US military academy? smiley

Interested in being a military IT geek or it is the infantry you have eyes for? smiley

lordBintus:
Although still a 2nd year student of Computer Engineering,I will love to end up investing my knowledge in the millitary force
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by lordBintus(m): 10:59am On Oct 28, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
smiley smiley smiley **big smiles**

Okay... First of all, I wanna say, "Happy Birthday To You Sir" wink

Now... You are a computer Engineering undergrad but have great interest in the military.

Wow!!! So.... targeting the NDA after your first degree in the Technicals/ICT/Communications dept of the military?? Or reasoning US military academy? smiley

Interested in being a military IT geek or it is the infantry you have eyes for? smiley

Thanks bro thinking of getting into NDA if luck shines on me this year but pertaining to the US Millitary will love to enroll but have no idea of their millitary programme.
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by charliejose: 5:23pm On Oct 28, 2016
I'm currently studying pharmacology at unilag(400lv)
I'm interested in a MD-phD program at Emory university because of the areas of research and the school's close proximity with the centre for disease control..
Will also love to be a research postdoctoral fellow at Harvard

1 Like

Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by SDAC: 8:38pm On Oct 28, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Wow! Never thought this thread will be resurrected... Lolll

Okay Uhmmm... How do I say this? smiley

Unizik in medicine is still behind the big guns like UI, Unilag, Unilorin, UNN, ABU Zaria, and a few more.

But in truth, Unizik medicine is on the rise. One thing I love at Medzik (Unizik medicine) is the dynamism in their approach to study and teaching of courses in medicine and also in the teaching and training (albeit challenging) of the basic medicals like Human Anatomy (my first degree) and Human Physiology.

Unizik strives to use current medical info as obtainable in the best recommended med texts to teach and train her students unlike some medical schools (who got great reputation and are still ahead of Unizik in terms of prestige) who will rather stick to info used to teach their students from 15 or 10 yrs ago.

Medicine is progressive and teaching of it should be that way.... Always. smiley

This is what I love about Unizik medical school. smiley

But hey! Challenges abound... Things aren't perfect. wink

hello sir thanks for your response I'm humbled, well I am also an x commando and I was also advised and somehow forced to go to NDA, just like you. but my passion for medicine was burning and could not be quenched by the military. I intend learning the rope from you and honing my craft, by me and you forming a mentee-mentor relationship since we will be in the same school and same course by Gods grace. I pray you drop your number here but if you cannot here is mine 07063109247, you can send me a message on WhatsApp. thank you sir and God bless
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:46am On Oct 31, 2016
Well, don't worry then about the US Military.... smiley Besides you could always access their main site through Google (just type "US militart academy website" and let Google do the rest *winks* ).

Anyway, you said "thinking of"..... Hmmm..... Aren't you so sure about it? Or you're still pondering hard.......?

lordBintus:
Thanks bro thinking of getting into NDA if luck shines on me this year but pertaining to the US Millitary will love to enroll but have no idea of their millitary programme.
Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:51am On Oct 31, 2016
Excellent! Precise and well-defined targets..... smiley

I just gotta say, all the best Sir...... smiley

An MD-PHD program is usually about 6years I think at US institutions where such is offered. Really cool.... smiley

Just make sure you end up so high up the ladder of science that an investigator/research fellowship with HHMI or even a Nobel doesn't elude you. wink

All the best Brother.

Just for the records... I Love Pharmacology smiley

charliejose:
I'm currently studying pharmacology at unilag(400lv)
I'm interested in a MD-phD program at Emory university because of the areas of research and the school's close proximity with the centre for disease control..
Will also love to be a research postdoctoral fellow at Harvard

1 Like

Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:53am On Oct 31, 2016
Woooaaahh!!! A Command Alumnus.... Cool smiley

You even dropped your number and proposed an M-M r/ship... **hmmm...

So uhmmm... I wanna get you properly. Are you in the Military now?

SDAC:
hello sir thanks for your response I'm humbled, well I am also an x commando and I was also advised and somehow forced to go to NDA, just like you. but my passion for medicine was burning and could not be quenched by the military. I intend learning the rope from you and honing my craft, by me and you forming a mentee-mentor relationship since we will be in the same school and same course by Gods grace. I pray you drop your number here but if you cannot here is mine 07063109247, you can send me a message on WhatsApp. thank you sir and God bless

1 Like

Re: What's Your Dream Institution? If You Had The Chance To Get There... by GLOBALINF: 7:29am On Oct 31, 2016
Cyprus Universities

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Strike: ASUU Denies Receiving N163bn From FG / LASU Launches Lecturer Feedback System / Anxiety As FUNAI Counts Down To First Ever SUG ELECTION.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.