Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! (798 Views)

Christians Moslems ...what Are Ur Say To This Fact Cos Am Considering Atheism / I Have 2 Questions For Athiests. Please Come In And Answer / OPEN AND SEE HOW POPULAR NAIRALAND ATHIESTS ACCEPT JESUS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by TheDauraMallam: 10:46am On May 27, 2015
Confused child.

submitted 4 hours ago * by Blqnki

I don't know what to believe, I've been raised that God is real (Jesus) all my life and I've recently decided that in agnostic. It's just hard to take another step into atheism because of my irrational fear of hell. It has been shoved down my throat all my life and it's just something that sticks with me.

It's also confusing because I see my mom, dad, and sister, who all claim to know this "god" so well, and trust in him that their sins have been forgiven and they're going to heaven. I know their religion makes them happy, but it's devastating me, it's all I can think about... When I'm taking a shower, sitting at school, I'm consumed!
I don't know what to do and while I'm not psychotic or anything, I need some words of wisdom.. Anything helps, thanks!
Edit: it's not just hell I constantly worry/think about, it's a hatred towards religion, inequality, wars, injustice, social issues.. The list goes on and on.
I also live in area that's, well, not very blue, and the kids that go to my school when they speak of something politically related sound like idiots (to me), in other words their repeating what constantly gets preached on Fox News and I can't stand it. It aggravates the hell out of me and there's nothing I can really do about it. If I were to speak up and tell them they were horribly misinformed, 95% of the class would be there to back them.
If you can't see already, I'm going through a few 1st world problems and I need some help sorting them out.. Thanks!
I apologize for spelling issues. I'm on my phone.

**Anti-TheistDargo200 4 hours ago

The one and only cure for fear & doubt is knowledge. Knowledge is power, which is exactly why religion tries to keep it from you. Read about the bible, it's history and it's similarities with other religions. Don't stop there, do it for all the major religions and see that they're just the same bullshit in different wrappers. Then try on some philosophy & then science.
Knowledge will set you free.

crankybadger 4 hours ago

Absolutely. The fear is the fear of the unknown, of the what-ifs, that will gnaw on you until you put them to rest by knowing better.
That twisting pit in your stomach when you listen to people so committed to religion, so convinced of their arguments? That's a sign you're still missing something, that you have a hunch that what they're saying is wrong, but you don't have enough answers yet to fully convince yourself without fear, without worry. That comes when you dig deeper.
Reading, talking, debating, it's all about testing your beliefs by challenging them. The day you stop doing that, the day you start to become an obstacle to progress.

**tbeaucephus 4 hours ago

Believing in something does not make it real. Fearing something does not make it real. You have no reason to think any of what you fear is real because there is no rational reason to do so, yet you do. You were told to believe it, you were conditioned to believe it, you were not offered to choice.
The safety and love of your family and your fear of suffering was used as a blunt instrument, a weapon against you. It is an insidious form of abuse. Realize that you were coerced into your beliefs. On that alone you have every right to doubt everything you were told, including the presumed punishment of hell.
It is not reasonable to consider emotional manipulation as a valid basis for a belief.

**HermesTheMessenger 4 hours ago

Go with what you know. Here's some simplicity;
Neither of us are gods.
If any gods exist, then we would be insignificant to them, including in our ability to discern that they exist or not.
If any gods exist, they have both the knowledge and ability to show anyone they choose that they do in fact exist.
I am currently not convinced any gods exist.
Therefor, either no gods exist or they do not care or want me to know they exist.
If there are gods, neither of us are capable of going against what they want or will.
In the case of your parents and sister, they may be right. Then again, what about other people who claim to experience other gods? Something clearly is missing or misrepresented.

Crankybadger 4 hours ago

Here's a simpler version:
If God exists, he's the biggest assh a simpler version:
If God exists, he's the biggest asshole in the universe.
I don't want anything to do with assholes.
Therefore I don't want anything to do with God.

**ThePolyAtheist-YT 4 hours ago

Abandoning faith in a religious house can be daunting to say the least. I suggest you begin by researching what others think not only of Christianity but of all religions. The more you learn of all religions the sooner you'll come to realize how ridiculous they all are. YouTube can be great "and scary" but look up Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Lawrence Kraus to start. Listen to pod casts like the Thinking Atheist or follow some on Twitter. Educate yourself to better understand but try to find your own way. Don't try to debate anyone it's not worth it. See if your community has a secular group you can meet with. I hope this all helps.

**rwekyes 4 hours ago

It's not a bad thing to be agnostic. I'd say I lean a little more that way just because any human out there has just as much knowledge about life or the universe as any other human that's ever lived, so who the Bleep really knows anyway? All I know is that a 2,000 year old cult that limits my bus schedule 1 day a week is probably wrong.

**Touched by His Noodlinessdudleydidwrong 4 hours ago

There is no need to push yourself to atheism. If and when you are comfortable with it you will move from agnostic to atheist. I went through something very similar, but I moved from deist to atheist.
One thing that helped me get over my fear of hell is studying the Biblical basis of hell. The case for biblical hell is about as confused as anything in the bible (which is saying a lot). The bible itself has several different and often contradictory statements about hell. When I saw all the holes and fallacies it was a lot easier to dismiss it as a fear.

**Anti-Theistbob1190 4 hours ago

I've dealt with the fear of hell myself. It's an awful construct and is surely deserving of fear for those who have been exposed to it. I always ask this question to those that fear hell:
"Are you afraid of Jahannam?"
Every answer I've ever received is no. I then explain how illogical it is to fear the hell of Islam as it is to fear the hell of Christianity. Most of them do not even know what Jahannam is, which adds even more credibility to my argument.

**BigClifty 4 hours ago

I was Catholic for most of my life and when I became an atheist, getting over the whole "I am temporary and there isn't an afterlife" thing was the hardest part for me. Eventually I just accepted it, and I think it has improved my life substantially because I know my time is short (relatively speaking) so I need to make the most of it and actually go out and work towards dreams and goals because there isn't going to be any divine assistance that hands it to me on a platter.
I also live in area that's, well, not very blue, and the kids that go to my school when they speak of something politically related sound like idiots (to me), in other words their repeating what constantly gets preached on Fox News and I can't stand it. It aggravates the hell out of me and there's nothing I can really do about it. If I were to speak up and tell them they were horribly misinformed, 95% of the class would be there to back them.
Most of my co-workers are Christian and I understand how annoying it can be. Some of them are vocally against gay marriage and bring it up all the time and it is very annoying. I would suggest that you don't try to rock the boat though. Going against the group consensus (especially in school) will just set you up for bullying. I'm not sure how hold you are but I would wait until you are in college before you try to speak out "against" religion or other social issues if you know your opinion is the minority. Kids can be ruthless in middle school or highschool, but once you're in college you should be able to speak your mind without fear of bullying.

**plutoanimus 3 hours ago

Ask questions. Relentlessly. Try to understand everything adults tell you.
As soon as they tell you it's wrong to stop asking questions, or insist you believe things that simply make no sense, you will know that they are dishonestly trying to hide something from you.
That is what people who try to persuade you to believe in religion always, inevitably do. Your teachers (except those trying to convert you) never will.

**BopTheDrass 2 hours ago

The concept of hell was created to control ancient populations.

**AtheistBurnOut91 an hour ago

Ignorance. The Unknown. Doubt. These are things which afflict mankind.
For the sake of simplicity, I'll analogize.
These afflictions are deep and numerous, like that of life amidst the ocean. It's waves will attempt to drown you, or something within them may consume you. Some rely on their faith to carry them atop the water, at times they may forget its even there. This may seem ideal, but ships at sea can also suffer harshly from torrential storms. For those who lack faith we must attain the will to continue treading water, or so one would think.
Alas, we're only human and tire easily. At some point we would sink into the depths of despair. So how do we combat this?
Simple. We shrink the ocean. It sounds impossible, but is rather easy once you apply yourself. Seek knowledge, and you're ignorance and doubt will begin to dissipate. Accept that there are things you may never know the answer to; it's okay. It's difficult to transition from a belief that claims to have absolute knowledge to one that claims limited knowledge. Conversely, use doubt to fuel your curiosity, let it shine your way through the deep that awaits.
As for the issues concerning the state of the world, these are things that are complex. Our world, and our species that inhabits it are imperfect beings. I often find myself disgusted at the cruelty that seems to perpetuate itself in the world. If you find an answer to solve this, or even cope with it, please inform me. All that I can think to do is to attempt to leave a positive influence within my community and the people in my life.

1 Like

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by TheDauraMallam: 11:14am On May 27, 2015
Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by plaetton: 3:22pm On May 27, 2015
You are already an atheist long before you declare yourself so.

As soon as you start asking questions like "who created god", like most 5yr old often ask, you are already an atheist. From there, The rest is fear.

Therefore, we are all atheists who have yet to overcome fear.

3 Likes

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by Ishilove: 4:05pm On May 27, 2015
plaetton:
You are already an atheist long before you declare yourself so.

As soon as you start asking questions like "who created god", like most 5yr old often ask, you are already an atheist. From there, The rest is fear.

Therefore, we are all atheists who have yet to overcome fear.
I disagree. I've gone down that road before, but I came out more convinced that God is very alive and on the throne.
Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by plaetton: 4:28pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

I disagree. I've gone down that road before, but I came out more convinced that God is very alive and on the throne.
You came out more convinced because you desperately convinced yourself.

Were you also more convinced that Jesus was a son of the God, who was born of a virgin?
Through what investigative methods or study did you arrive at that?

I can bet that you have not studied other world religions in depth to make an informed choice about what is true and what is not.

3 Likes

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by plaetton: 4:39pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

And Btw,

You are already an atheist. wink

Come hither, milady.
Be not afraid.
grin

1 Like

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:55pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

Don't mind those unbelievers
Satan is very much alive and roaming omnipresently
He doesn't sit lazily on a throne
Come, let us join him and be happy
Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by Ishilove: 5:06pm On May 27, 2015
plaetton:

You came out more convinced because you desperately convinced yourself.

Were you also more convinced that Jesus was a son of the God, who was born of a virgin?
Through what investigative methods or study did you arrive at that?

I can bet that you have not studied other world religions in depth to make an informed choice about what is true and what is not.
*facepalm*

I pray God opens your eyes, sweetheart. It's a life changing experience.

1 Like

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by plaetton: 5:10pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

*facepalm*

Lol

I would actually prefer that a goddess open my eyes for me.
wink
Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by Ishilove: 5:11pm On May 27, 2015
plaetton:
Lol
I would actually prefer that a goddess open my eyes for me. wink
E don tey wey you don spoil cheesy
Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by hahn(m): 6:04pm On May 27, 2015
The simple question is, why will an almighty god find it difficult to show himself to his creation? Because of sin? Didn't he create lucifer/sin? Didn't he know lucifer would revolt? Why did he bother to create human beings when he knew lucifer would taunt us? Why didn't he just kill lucifer so he won't taunt us? Why do we have to pay for 100years(if you're lucky) of sin with eternity of pain and torment in hell? How does that make him merciful? What's the point of praying to god for power supply or praising him for its restoration when ill end up paying my bills at the end of the month? Why can't I be rich without working? Why should I thank him for the rewards of my labour? Why do people who don't believe in god become successful while some born again christians put on over sized coats and can barely afford to raise their kids?

Why can't he just show himself to us in moments of doubts? Why do I have to be 100% holy before I can see him? Can't he take time to persuade me since actually showing himself is the best form of persuasion? Why should I praise him when one little girl is found in the rubble of an earthquake while thousands of people, including other kids, have died? Why didn't he lift the rubble of the little girl and elevate her so people could find her without going through so much trouble?

And the questions go on and on until you stop bothering yourself with expecting answers from a non existent being

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by TheFilmmaker: 7:30pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

*facepalm*

You need to read this book.

I have ePub copies if you dare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confused Religionist Here. Christians, Moslems, Athiests...Please Help!!! by johnydon22(m): 9:03pm On May 27, 2015
Ishilove:

*facepalm*

Exactly what every other religions say... Am sure a Muslim would tell you that even tho you claimed to have found god but they think not..

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Islam: Modern Day Arab Slave "Trade"! / Nairaland Mods Please Show Respect To Christians / Miraculous Release From Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.