Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams (37679 Views)

This Year's JAMB Is Very HARD / 16 Pictures Some Students Playing Bet9ja Virtual Soccer Can Relate To / Photo: A Teacher Punishing Some Students For Noise Making (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by mubarak89(m): 11:42am On May 27, 2015

Ever wonder why some students read very hard every semester but surprisingly fail their exams at the end of it all?

Such students read almost every day and night and are perceived by their mates as hardworking students who deserve to succeed academically; however, their poor grades keep surprising them and everyone else.

If you study hard and your grades seem not to reflect your hard work, then its time you stop working hard and start working smart.

Here are some reasons why some students study hard but fail.

1. Upholding hard work while neglecting smart work

Hard work is good but hard work when done smartly is far better and produces greater result.

Hard work starts with reading and ends with more reading.

Students who uphold hard work while neglecting smart work believe they must read every note, text-book, handout and all materials they can get to be able to pass.

On the other hand, smart work involves reading and settling back to self-examine whether what is being read is really required for passing exams.

Students who seem to read less but still perform excellently well have been able to combine smart work and hard work. They are able to smartly figure out what they need to read to pass. They know they don’t have to read all the textbooks in the library to be able perform well.

2. Not knowing when it’s enough

Studying saps energy. When you become tired while reading it is important you take a break, take a walk or go watch TV before returning to your books.

Most students read hard and fail because they stay glued to their books even when they’re exhausted and need rest. In such condition everything they’ll be reading stops making sense but they continue nonetheless.

3. Having difficulty prioritizing what’s important

Not all courses or subjects are read the same. Seemingly difficult subjects or courses should be given higher priority. Also, courses that are prerequisites are more important than electives and thus must be given more priority as we study.

4. Focusing on “I don’t want to fail” instead of “I want to pass”

This is a mind game. Winners always focus their minds on winning.

From personal experience, I see that most students who read more than others but still fail do their read out of fear. They afraid of failing hence they often say things like: “I don’t want to fail”. Fear is their motivation.

The solution to is to focus our minds on “I want to pass” so I’ll read.

5. Putting their books first and themselves second

They read all day and night while they forget about the need to take care of themselves. Haven’t you seen those who read from the first day of resumption to the last week of lectures only to fall sick in the week of exams? They stress and wear themselves out.

6. They read all the time instead of at ‘their right time’

There is often the ‘right time’ to read for every student. This is often the time of the day when you are able to grasp and understand more as you read. For some their right time to read is at night.

Students who read hard and still fail read at all times even when it’s not necessary.

At the end of the day, they are perceived to be serious and hardworking students but they have no results to show for their labour.

If this issue affects you I hope this write-up helps you to understand how you ought to adjust.

Are there more reasons why some hardworking students fail despite their rigorous studies? Tell us about it.

Source: http://graduatewell.com/article/6-reasons-why-some-students-study-very-hard-but-still-fail-exams

46 Likes 19 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by CountDracula(m): 11:44am On May 27, 2015
Perfect description of My roomate

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 27, 2015
All points enumerated by you are right.
To add to it :
This issue all boils down to the zeal for achievement. But when the zeal is not there, nothing can be achieved. And also self-discipline comes into play in times like this. Then also, another cogent reason that leads to students failure in exams is when they study under bad contidions or a not so friendly or suitable atmosphere, and also trying to catch two birds at a time e.g. Reading and listening to music at the same time, chatting on social media, watching movies, how possible?
Eventually he/she would lose out on both sides. So if you must study, ensure that you`re well healthy, sound in mind and also ur full attention should be focused on ur engagement.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 27, 2015
CountDracula:
Perfect description of My humble self.
Now this is more like it.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by bamidelemoses: 12:34pm On May 27, 2015
Dnarvaez:
All points enumerated by you are right.
To add to it :
This issue all boils down to the zeal for achievement. But when the zeal is not there, nothing can be achieved. And also self-discipline comes into play in times like this. Then also, another cogent reason that leads to students failure in exams is when they study under bad contidions or a not so friendly or suitable atmosphere, and also trying to catch two birds at a time e.g. Reading and listening to music at the same time, chatting on social media, watching movies, how possible?
Eventually he/she would lose out on both sides. So if you must study, ensure that you`re well healthy, sound in mind and also ur full attention should be focused on ur engagement.

U ar describing a perfect scenario that isn't workable in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 27, 2015
chei...na me OP d describe....i wan cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by SlimHighBeeKay: 1:23pm On May 27, 2015
commrnt later.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by ijoawilo: 1:23pm On May 27, 2015
true
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Segadem(m): 1:25pm On May 27, 2015
I don't support with many of ur point,our systems do not have conducive environment 4 learning.
A friend of mine went to Canada to study and graduated with second class upper which we know is an average student.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Segadem(m): 1:25pm On May 27, 2015
kovichasad:
i dont accept
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by UfuomaUN(m): 1:25pm On May 27, 2015
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Sunnycliff(m): 1:25pm On May 27, 2015
I add lack of self confidence!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by bamidelemoses: 1:27pm On May 27, 2015
evlyn:
chei...my situation..i wan cry cry cry

I feel u. But u need 2 stop crying & make d required adjustment

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by joeikp(m): 1:27pm On May 27, 2015
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by intergral(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2015
The mistake most students make both those that study hard and those that put less effort is that they fail to balance their social activities with their education... When its is time to play you play and when it is time to study you give all you have to it. As for me I am a final year Mathematical sci. student and even if I end up getting a poor result this semester I will end up with nothing less than 2-1 .... I party, play football, hangout with ma peeps but when its time for me to read I give it all I have got in me.... The other mistake I think many people make is that they don't know how to answer university question, so to solve this issue I advice them to meet somebody that makes A's and ask him how he answers his exam questions... You might read hard but what your are giving the lecturer is not enuf, you give him what he taut u and what you know.... Making A's is simple you just have to believe and make yourself an A person.... I hope my little advice will help you improve ya Grades and Like I said earlier I WORK hard and PLAY and that's how I roll...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by habex005(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2015
no 5 says it all
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 27, 2015
Nice points
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 27, 2015
Another very crucial reason is that most students don't know or don't use the technical/disciplinary terms of their course. This is very important especially for year 2 students upwards. Every field of study has a common pool of terminologies which makes it distinct. To prove you are a scholar in your field, you must draw from these terminologies and make your point. If you are a mathematican, write like one and not like a chemist or a linguist! To learn these pool of terms, students must read journal and articles in their field of study and master the tone, tenor and temper of scholarship in their course.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 27, 2015
[quote author=bamidelemoses post=34141881]

I feel u. But u need 2 stop crying & make d required adjustment [/quote

thanks
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by lilmax(m): 1:32pm On May 27, 2015
Okay
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by olayincar(m): 1:33pm On May 27, 2015
Noted
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by solobenzo(m): 1:34pm On May 27, 2015
Pls how do one read and understand what you've read pls I need advice.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by colored(m): 1:35pm On May 27, 2015
hunagona:
village winch nko
there's nothing like village witch. Nigerians should learn to take responsibilities for their failures and quit looking for people to blame it on.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by tuoyoojo(m): 1:36pm On May 27, 2015
solobenzo:
Pls how do one read and understand what you've read pls I need advice.

ok
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by dave2meek(m): 1:38pm On May 27, 2015
O
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by r33d(m): 1:39pm On May 27, 2015
It is a situation many people can relate to especially, students. However, I also add that the home can make or mar a student. It is very difficult for a child or student who is not been cared for at home, to excel in academics.
The support a person gets from the immediate family can really go a long way in his or her life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by millionboi(m): 1:41pm On May 27, 2015
No excuse is enuf 2fail
Re: 6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams by stepo707: 1:42pm On May 27, 2015
Poor retentive memory also.And also not reading for understanding.My 100l roomate had this problem.He struggled throughout and finally graduated with a third class after having an extra year.But what I loved him for was that he was damn determined

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Pupils Make Dresses With Needle And Thread (Photos) / Uniport Final Year Pharmacy Students Graduate In Grand Style! / Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.