Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,353 members, 7,829,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie (1184 Views)

The Aussie Investigator Indicts Sanusi's CBN As Boko Haram Financier / Nigerian Scammers - A Contrary View / Nigerian Scammers Caught On Tape On ABC's 20/20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by Kobojunkie: 1:26am On Feb 15, 2009
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/751844/nigerian-scammers-free-kidnapped-aussie/?rss=yes

Justin Liebig, 71, was seized on February 1 after being lured to Gambia by the scammers and held in the town of Kololi, 15 kilometres west of the capital Banjul.

Gambian police chief Essa Badjie said the gang tied Mr Liebig up in a toilet and covered his mouth before demanding 5,000 euros ($A9,900) from his family for his release.

"They threatened and forcefully obtained 5,000 euros from his family in Australia, while he was in custody," Mr Badjie told Reuters.

Mr Badjie and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said seven individuals, including six Nigerians, had been arrested and charged with crimes, including conspiracy, kidnapping and obtaining money by false pretences.

It is also understood that most of the ransom money paid by Mr Liebig's relatives has been recovered.

A DFAT spokeswoman said the Australian government welcomed Mr Liebig's release and wished to thank the Gambian authorities for their work on the case.

"Mr Liebig's family and friends are naturally very relieved that he has been released," she said.

"I wish to thank the Gambian government for its assistance in securing a resolution to this case."

DFAT said it provided assistance to Mr Liebig and hoped the incident served as a warning to others about the dangers of internet scams.

"We understand he has now departed The Gambia to return to his home in Switzerland," the spokeswoman said.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by Ibime(m): 1:28am On Feb 15, 2009
Ah! I suppose reach Gambia this April. I hope this is not a common occurence, otherwise I might as well cancel the trip and go to PH instead.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by Kobojunkie: 1:31am On Feb 15, 2009
Nigerians held for kidnapping Australian in Gambia

http://www.gambianow.com/news/News/Nigerians-held-for-kidnapping-Australian-in-Gambia.html

Gambian police have arrested six Nigerians accused of keeping an Australian pensioner tied up in a toilet for more than a week after they enticed him to Africa over the internet.

Gambian Police Chief Essa Badjie said the gang had extorted 5,000 euros ($9,900) from his family for his release.

Justin Liebig, 71, was seized on February 1 and was only freed by the gang after his family in Australia had sent the money nine days later, Mr Badjie told reporters.

"The victim was tied to a chair in the toilet, with his mouth covered apparently to prevent him making any noise ,  They threatened and forcefully obtained 5,000 euros from his family in Australia, while he was in custody," he said.

Police sources said the Nigerians contacted Mr Liebig on the internet and convinced him to travel to the tiny West African country to do business, but kidnapped him on his arrival and held him in Kololi, 15 kilometres west of the capital, Banjul.

Mr Badjie said this was the third incident involving Nigerians. The suspects will be charged with conspiracy, kidnapping and obtaining money by false pretences, he said.
"We have different foreigners in the country but the Nigerians are the only people behaving in such a manner," he added.

Nigerian gangs have earned a reputation for extorting money via the internet through "419" confidence tricks, so called after the clause that outlaws them in Nigeria's penal code.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 15, 2009
all this for 5000 EUROS!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by deor03(m): 7:37am On Feb 16, 2009
Have they checked if the useless 71 year old was NOT told that he was going to be given the Key to the Gambian Treasury?

For someone to have flown all the way from Australia to Gambia, show the level of greed of the old man. The only exception is if he is/was suffering from Dementia.

I think it's OLE hunting for THIEF, who be the THIEF ; who be the HUNTER.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by kosovo(m): 7:57am On Feb 16, 2009
is it not a normal thing?
who cares? huh? me? nah.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by FBS: 8:54am On Feb 16, 2009
I fail to see what they enticed him with?
How did they manage to lure him to Gambia? A backgroubd check needs to be done.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Feb 16, 2009
So, never mind the 419ers now turning to kidnapping to get money from their victim, we should focus on the man?
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by aieromon(m): 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2009
what makes us so sure that the kidnappers are actually Nigerians?

why would i want to lure someone to such a backward country all in an attempt to kidnap him?i will rather lure him to mushin or ajegunle and give him good Naija hospitality.

i don't believe the story,sorry
Re: Nigerian Scammers Free Kidnapped Aussie by FBS: 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So, never mind the 419ers now turning to kidnapping to get money from their victim, we should focus on the man?
we focus on both and that doesn't mean that you should forget to ask yourself, how did a 71 yr old aussie get lured to gabon?

(1) (Reply)

Between Mend And Bokko Haram Which Is Justifiable? / Let’s Celebrate Our First Phd Chief Of Army Staff / "I Have To Stand Up For Buhari. . .Please God, Let Him Lead Us.”- Tam David West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.