Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,459 members, 7,861,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:53 AM

Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror (669 Views)

Speakership: Iriase Withdraws For Gbajabiamila / Speakership: North-west Backs Gbajabiamila - Punch / AD Candidate Withdraws From Presidential Race, Backs Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by YoruBanger: 7:06am On May 29, 2015
The race for helmsman of the House of Representatives is revving up, as one of the leading candidates, Pally Iriase, yesterday withdrew for Minority Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila.

Mr. Iriase, ex-Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly and an accountant, announced his decision at a press briefing in Abuja.

“In the circumstances, with deep sense of responsibility and sacrificial self-denial, I have decided, notwithstanding my robust qualifications, to quit the race for Speaker and fully support Hon. Gbajabiamila, the current Minority Leader, for the job. In taking this decision I have consulted widely and I am confident that my teeming supporters will join me to achieve a seamless inauguration, emergence of our preferred candidate and a smooth bi-partisan relationship in the House of Representatives.

“It is important to explain that the three front runners for the post before now have been Hon. Gbajabiamila, Hon. Yakubu Dogara and my humble self. The question may be posed as to why I did not team up with Hon. Dogara. The reason is that Dogara as Speaker under the current reality will be insensitive, repugnant to equity and good conscience and will not be feasible, as it flies in the face of all precedents and the principle of federal character,” he submitted.

He added that his support for Gbajabiamila is because “he is detribalised, urbane, cerebral and independent-minded. He has been with us in the trenches for opposition politics, armed with a stoic vision of a better Nigeria.”

He also stated that his withdrawal was aimed at reducing the acrimony among the contestants.

”The ongoing campaigns have thrown up some dangerous tendencies which could breed acrimony and disturb the 8th Assembly from delivering to the satisfaction of Nigerians who have very high expectations from the incoming government.

Nigerians are suffering from excruciating poverty, scandalous rate of unemployment, mindless corruption, comatose economy, scary insecurity, persistent fuel scarcity, frustrating infrastructure deficit and gross inadequacy of power supply.

“It seems to me therefore, that this nation is not in the mood for any acrimonious contest that will negatively impact the performance of the National Assembly and by extension, the entire incoming government,” he stated.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/iriase-withdraws-from-speakership-race-backs-gbajabiamila/

1 Like

Re: Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by SHARIAREPORTERS: 7:10am On May 29, 2015
Story!!!!!!
Re: Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by oladele97: 7:14am On May 29, 2015
politics of Tinubu anyway God bless u Gbaja our new speaker
Re: Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by Esinasinla: 7:31am On May 29, 2015
I also support gbaja to win so that the ratio ll be balance btw the north and he south. Above all i think hon Gbaja is more charismatic than Dogara for that sensitve post.
Note: in the outgoing administration in the first four ranking it is 3 against 1 in favour of the north i tink it wont be to allow that again.
Re: Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by Osehnetworld(m): 7:53am On May 29, 2015
Play play play pla, all tinubu's candidate r emerging victoriously. Although am gainin notin 4rm tinubu buh i always love him 2 succeed politically. Tinubu my political role model
Re: Iriase Withdraws From Race, Backs Gbajabiamila - National Mirror by efilefun(m): 7:54am On May 29, 2015
grin

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Earn N14 Million As Annual Salary, Allowances / Gov. Sani Bello Appoints New SSG, Others / NASS Leadership Showdown: PDP Holds The Ace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.