Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation (23140 Views)

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Adesiji77: 10:38pm On May 29, 2015
Analysts at Renaissance Capital Limited (RenCap) have predicted a further devaluation of naira in order to reflect what they described as the $4.5 billion fall in Nigeria's forex reserves.

They also ruled out the likelihood of easing monetary policy this year.

In addition, they pointed out that given the revenue constraint facing the country, the Buhari's government "will continue to wind down some companies’ pioneer status, so they can start paying taxes, and reduce the number of authorities that can grant pioneer status, to slow the awarding of tax exemptions."

Nigeria's forex reserves stood at $29.62 billion as at May 27th. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had in February devalued the naira and also scrapped the Retail Dutch Auction System (RDAS) of the forex market.

But analysts at RenCap in a report titled: "Nigeria beyond 29 May: Managing expectations," argued that the naira, which has essentially been pegged at N199/$1 since the mid-February devaluation, would be devalued further.

"The central bank is likely to move back toward a managed float versus the managed peg of recent months. A weaker naira implies a build-up of inflationary pressures. We see inflation breaching the central bank’s inflation target band of six to nine per cent and entering double-digits in the third quarter of 2015.

"This rules out any prospect of monetary easing in 2015, in our view. The devaluation may be smaller than the market projects (10- 15%), because authorities seem to be focused on medium-term fundamentals, which they expect will turn in favour of the naira, primarily through a fall in import demand – particularly of agriculture products (via continued improvement in production) and fuel imports (due to 650kb/d of fuel coming on stream from Dangote’s refinery), which account for 60 per cent of forex usage."

Muhammadu Buhari will be sworn in today as Nigeria's president. He emerged president under the All Progressive Congress (APC) and defeated the outgoing president Goodluck Jonathan in an election that took place in March this year.

"The APC comes in with a macro policy that requires a much weaker naira, i.e, an export-led growth policy. Nigeria is experiencing a great wave of expectation ahead of Muhammadu Buhari’s 29 May inauguration. Given that the incoming administration will be substantially resource-constrained, we think Buhari’s biggest challenge will be managing expectations," the report by the investment bank added.

It noted that the oil sector was expected to be the primary focus of Buhari’s crackdown on graft; in particular, reforms related to the fuel subsidy, repatriation of oil money and refineries.

"The cabinet is likely to be announced within a month of the inauguration.

Those familiar with Buhari expect a disciplined administration. Many believe the APC's track record in Lagos State is a good sign that it will deliver at the national level. However, as the incoming ruling party, it will have to be sensitive to zoning issues. As the APC is a coalition, there is a risk compromise may weaken the quality of appointments," it stated.

Furthermore, the report pointed out that Nigeria is experiencing a significant cash crunch, whereby it can do little beyond paying salaries. It also anticipates capital expenditure to be negligible in 2015 and debt to play a much bigger role in financing the budget than it had in recent years.

"For the first time since the 2008/09 global financial crisis, the outgoing administration has approached development finance institutions (DFIs) for loans to help bridge its $4 billion financing gap; it approached the World Bank and African Development Bank for $1billion each.

"As we expect the financing gap to be at least double the full year 2015 target of 1.1 per cent of GDP, due to optimistic revenue assumptions and slower growth, we believe the incoming administration is apt to seek larger loans from the DFIs," it added.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/rencap-predicts-further-naira-devaluation/210539/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by millhouse: 9:08am On May 30, 2015
make person buy dollar now b dat na

1 Like

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by laposta: 10:49pm On May 30, 2015
cc: Lalastica

This should make FP I believe

My thoughts about Naira Devaluation

[url=/p5eYmH-n] Devaluation: A Poisoned Chalice? [/url]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by 40manlappy: 7:39pm On May 31, 2015
I hope not o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by 40manlappy: 7:40pm On May 31, 2015
laposta:
cc: Lalasticlala

This should make FP I believe
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Kentrasso(f): 11:45am On Jun 01, 2015
Hehe

Why am I not surprised?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Ezenwammadu(m): 11:45am On Jun 01, 2015
But buhari promised to make N1=$1 and somebody is talking about devalution.This govt has already broken another of their promises.

#BabaOneChance

79 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by coolhamid(m): 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
Oh no.. Not again.. was waiting for Naira to appreciate a bit so as to schedule CCNA exam..

At this point, I think I have no option than to just go ahead and schedule it at this current exchange rate...

PMB got lots of work to do

2 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
magic

1 Like

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015

I’ll make Naira equal in value to dollar, says Buhari

Owerri – The All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday said he would ensure that the Naira was equal to the dollar in value, if voted into office.

Buhari stated this during the South-East presidential rally of the party at Dan Anyima Stadium, Owerri.buhari-Naira

“It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’’ he said.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/

grin

21 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by lonelydora: 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
PMB will see to it soonest. Let him just settle and start work. I BELIEVE IN A NEW NIGERIA.

2 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by sexymoma(f): 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
Awon Ebi barcanista ma to wa ma gbo nibi nsin

11 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Vstuffs(m): 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
Hlmm
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by appini: 11:46am On Jun 01, 2015
Okay
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by naijainfogalery: 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
sometimes i just wish we can all come out of our pro party supports and see the truth for what it is - This country is broke forget cash crunch, broke is broke, imagine Nigeria borrowing to pay salaries

SMH

14 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
na
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by wiringdpt(m): 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
Okay we don hear.
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by olempe(m): 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
Na wa o…
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by magabounce(m): 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
Ok... Commentus after readentus

Modified
[size=20pt]Most of the write up was Economics and shii
Nothing tu say..
Woreva be d case. Gimmie a better paying job.
Shikena!!!!
[/size]
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Pavore9: 11:47am On Jun 01, 2015
Na to earn dollars sure pass.
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Rexceedo: 11:48am On Jun 01, 2015
No problem! In no distance time our messiah will make it 1digit to Dollar...
By then CharlyBoy will bike to China!!!
Wetin concern me with Nigeria...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by musb92yahooco: 11:48am On Jun 01, 2015
Pure lie things 'll get better
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by iykedare(m): 11:48am On Jun 01, 2015
Nooooo,naira must be equal to dollar

Change is here.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Benbisco(f): 11:48am On Jun 01, 2015
Hmm! Na wa o. Not good at all, at all!
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by tolexy007(m): 11:49am On Jun 01, 2015
shocked I thaught is going to b $1 will b #1....

1 Like

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Aitee1: 11:49am On Jun 01, 2015
I'm not surprise cos nothing ever goes up in Nigeria and comes down sad sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by zonax(m): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2015
Buhari u said 1dollar to 1naira

7 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2015
Pavore9:
Na to earn dollars sure pass.

Na true bros..
Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by Mogidi: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2015
How can they devalue Naira when they promised parity with the dollar?

What happened to the #1 = $1 promise?

12 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by patrotic9gerian: 11:50am On Jun 01, 2015
Thanks to Goodluck Jonathan for stealing our money and spreading dollars belonging to Nigerians for his election... We are the ones suffering the actions of selfish and corrupt politicians..

10 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by chineloSA(f): 11:50am On Jun 01, 2015
undecided undecided Didn't Buharis say that he will make sure that the exchange rate against the dollar becomes $1=N1.

Was I dreaming of his manifesto? undecided

9 Likes

Re: Rencap Predicts Further Naira Devaluation by efilefun(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2015
Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Opens Portal For Deposit Of Old Naira Notes / P&G To Dissolve Ground Operations In Nigeria, Revert To An Import-only Business / Photos From Razak Okoya's 78th Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.