Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? (4647 Views)

Help: Creche And Preschool In Lekki/ajah / Nanny Caught On Camera Slapping A 5-month-old Girl / A Mother's Dilemma In An Rccg Creche (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by uchey(f): 10:16am On Feb 16, 2009
hey people, am trying to decide on a child care option for my daughter.i just went back to work after a 3months maternity leave.My younger sister is currently taking care of her up until its time for her to go back to school which is in two weeks, I donno what to do, i have heard horror stories about daycare centers and Nannies as well, which is one is the lesser of the two evils, Pls advice a desperate mum people!! Thanks.
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by spikedcylinder: 10:23am On Feb 16, 2009
I am not a mother but I assume the creche thing would be better because your child would get the chance to interact and play with other children? Besides, there are good (albeit expensive!) creches everywhere, you just have to take your time and look for a decent one based on recommendations. smiley
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by titilaelae(f): 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
@Uchey,
so which one did you eventually settle for, nanny or creche?
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by coolier(f): 9:36am On Nov 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I am not a mother but I assume the creche thing would be better because your child would get the chance to interact and play with other children?

A three month old baby interacting and playing with other children!!!

uchey:

hey people, am trying to decide on a child care option for my daughter.i just went back to work after a 3months maternity leave.

I would say look for a nanny/house maid to take care of your baby in the comfort of your home. Taking a three month old baby to daycare/creche exposes that child to contagious infections and health hazards.
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by spikedcylinder: 12:31pm On Nov 20, 2009
coolier:

I would say look for a nanny/house maid to take care of your baby in the comfort of your home. Taking a three month old baby to daycare/creche exposes that child to contagious infections and health hazards.

Where did the OP say the baby is three months old? She said she was on maternity leave for 3 months. Not the same thing.

Meanwhile, what's wrong with a 3 month old interacting with others? Are there not supposed to be other humans where a baby exists? If she can be with adults like her parents, cousins, aunts and uncles, why can't she be with other babies?
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by rasputinn(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2009
coolier:

She said she wasn't a mother grin
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by rasputinn(m): 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2009
uchey:

hey people, am trying to decide on a child care option for my daughter.i just went back to work after a 3months maternity leave.

From the above,your daughter should be a little over three months.

First and foremost,a very big shame on the entire management of that your wicked office that could not give you extra months to work half days or did they?.

That said,may I say from experience that there's no "lesser of the two evils" as you put it,whilst some parents have done well with creches(just in the form of babysitting,to put it plainly),others have fared better with nannies.IMO,for that age,it's surely the nanny option(I have one prersently)you just need to consult with reliable people who can assist you get competent,neat,decent,and okay nannies.The baby is too tender and ,"fragile"to be subjected to the rigours of school runs and exposure to a second environment ,a group of other children who are being looked after by creche nannies in the ratio of 1 nanny to about 4-5 babies.No doubt,with a dedicated home nanny,your child familiarises with her immediate environment,gets more attention,has a reduced risk of contracting infections that may arise from change of environment or other babies in the creche e.t.c.Infact,it's been home nannies for my children,till they start school(get into playgroup)
On a marginal note,the time you save from not having to contend with the traffic of school runs will afford you more time to get home earlier and bond with your baby plus you'll be able to concentrate on your job at the office and be more productive there

Good luck

3 Likes

Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by coolier(f): 7:52pm On Nov 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Where did the OP say the baby is three months old? She said she was on maternity leave for 3 months. Not the same thing.

If poster just went back to work after 3 months maternity then the baby would be between 6weeks(if she started the maternity early) and three months (if she went on maternity late - near delivery).

spikedcylinder:

Meanwhile, what's wrong with a 3 month old interacting with others? Are there not supposed to be other humans where a baby exists? If she can be with adults like her parents, cousins, aunts and uncles, why can't she be with other babies?

I didn't know that it's possible for a three month old baby to interact with others.

rasputinn:

She said she wasn't a mother grin

Now I see!!!
Re: Nanny Or Creche: Which One Is Better? by madamatthetop: 10:41am On Jul 12, 2013
I have three kids and I have always used nannies up till they start school at a year and a half ,issues finding a good nanny.
They always have a BUT my current nanny is lazy,but big advice don't employ any akwa ibom or calabar maid or nanny,they are just so mean and heartless.Your best bet is Benue or Ogoja.

But I did get some good tips on finding a good nanny from a blog
http://nigerianyummymummy..com/2013/07/qualities-of-good-nanny.html

she talks about qualities of a good nanny

(1) (Reply)

Cheating Woman Swallows Phone To Save Her Marriage / My Father Thinks Im Evil / Breakfast: Before Or After Bath/morning Mouth Cleaning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.