Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

I Lost My Baby To A System Failure - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Lost My Baby To A System Failure (29805 Views)

I Lost My Friend To Chronic Kidney Disease, His Last Whatsapp Chat With Me / How I Lost My Childhood Friend To HIV/AIDS / Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by scholarosisi(f): 10:21pm On Jun 01, 2015
Ur story broke my heart so so sorry. I trust God he will surprise u

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 01, 2015
Gboliwe:
My heart goes out to you and your wife and I pray God consoles you.

When a child is jaundiced, phototherapy is what is needed not blood transfusion. Blood transfusion also doesn't require electricity but phototherapy does.
I wonder why any hospital with maternity and paediatric unit will not have a functional phototherapy.

It's only in Nigeria that even the student doctors have this very condescending air around them and are not willing to go one single step above their daily routine even if it's to save a life. It's so pathetic.

The life we live in this country is by God's grace alone.

May his soul rest in perfect peace. Amen

A jaundice that's severe enough to make a neonate to convulse has almost got to the level of kernicterus. Exchange blood transfusion (a form of blood transfusion)is required in such case

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lolly2pops: 7:51am On Jun 02, 2015
TCD:
I think it's better you educate yourself and stop misinforming others with wrong Info which might lead to loss of life. convulsions in children can be fever related or non fever related. even simple hypoglycemia can make a child convulse.i wonder which cold bath , fever suppositories and fresh air will correct hypoglycemia which can be fatal.

Most times convulsion in infants and toddlers are due to high fever associated with viral or bacterial infections.

You need some education when it comes to reading. You just opened your mouth to spew bile all over yourself. You are such a disgrace. Read one more time or should I send you a tutor? Hypoglycemia/Low blood sugar that you are speaking in reference to occurs in complicated cases of diabetes, of which the parent/guardian is likely aware of the possibilities and underlying causes. Your criticism is not constructive and I choose not to drain myself and rather focus on something more productive.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Mudarris: 9:42am On Jun 02, 2015
lolly2pops:

Most times convulsion in infants and toddlers are due to high fever associated with viral or bacterial infections.

You need some education when it comes to reading. You just opened your mouth to spew bile all over yourself. You are such a disgrace. Read one more time or should I send you a tutor? Hypoglycemia/Low blood sugar that you are speaking in reference to occurs in complicated cases of diabetes, of which the parent/guardian is likely aware of the possibilities and underlying causes. Your criticism is not constructive and I choose not to drain myself and rather focus on something more productive.
Why not read causes of hypoglycemia in neonates, and also causes of convulsion in infants? Google is ur help

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by allycat: 10:56am On Jun 02, 2015
Sorry for your loss. I agree it is systemic failure but I also believe you should complain. Everyone that has any issue with any hospital should complain in writing. It may seem nothing is done that will undo the wrong done to you but I tell you that if a CMD gets 10 letters every month from different people complaining of a particular department he will look into the matter and make efforts to make it better. if no one complains the status quo remains?

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by TCD: 12:40pm On Jun 02, 2015
lolly2pops:

Ha oluwa o. again I will advise you to keep your mouth shut and leave the advising to qualified health professionals. Stop giving putrid stuffs that can lead to loss of life with your half baked medical ideas. diabetes indeed. Better Google neonatal hypoglycemia, symptoms, effects and causes. at least I have taught you something today.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lolly2pops: 1:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
TCD:

Ha oluwa o. again I will advise you to keep your mouth shut and leave the advising to qualified health professionals. Stop giving putrid stuffs that can lead to loss of life with your half baked medical ideas. diabetes indeed. Better Google neonatal hypoglycemia, symptoms, effects and causes. at least I have taught you something today.

Go back to my original statement or at least back to school. I wouldn't be surprised if you still carry on with your barbaric utterances after this. I'm waiting...
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Shwarz: 1:35pm On Jun 02, 2015
Was it a private hospital
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by TCD: 4:23pm On Jun 02, 2015
lolly2pops:

Go back to my original statement or at least back to school. I wouldn't be surprised if you still carry on with your barbaric utterances after this. I'm waiting...

why should I read anything you say?? obviously anyone who confidently claims hypoglycemia in neonates is caused by complicated diabetes is not to be taken seriously. and is a waste of my precious time.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lolly2pops: 8:30am On Jun 03, 2015
TCD:
why should I read anything you say?? obviously anyone who confidently claims hypoglycemia in neonates is caused by complicated diabetes is not to be taken seriously. and is a waste of my precious time.

If you didn't take me seriously you wouldn't have gone this far. Obviously your "precious time" is not so precious or you wouldn't contradict yourself this much. Go to sleep.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lomaxx: 5:18pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by viruz007(m): 8:08am On Jun 04, 2015
forlahkhe:
Hmm....sorry for ur loss, may God comfort u. I lost my precious mother too tru ds non challant attitudes of Doctors. My mother had intestinal obstruction bt we couldn't afford d bill(#150,000) by a private hosp in ijebu ode so we brought her to lagos hoping to get a better and cheaper service besides my sis is based in lagos. When we got to gbagada general hosp, she was placed in emmergency unit. She had endogastric tube to evacuate her intestinal content. She has not eaten for 4weeks since she bcame sick. She was placed on drip. Later d surgeons came and each person wl com and press her stomach(swollen & painful) and prescribe drip. They later booked her for surgery and demanded #40k(cheaper we tot), they said she shd b transferred to ward B where no relative would slp wt her, those in ward B ar expected to b taken care by d nurses. They wl b d 1 to giv dem food and care of them. Ward B is neater and silent bt wen we transferred mom there we saw dt d reverse was d promise they made. They leave d patients to wallow in pain unattended to. They just giv drugs and change drip and d nurses go bak to their common room to gossip. 3 days before surgery, we were asked to go do scan nd x-ray for mum, they rejected d results of those ones we av with us. What baffles me is dt despited plenty x-ray centres around gbagada hospital, we were instructed to go to mary- land, its either mary land or none. So, we left gbagada in the morning (11am) and on getting to maryland their x-ray machine is faulty. They didi only d scan for us, because of traffic we got back to gbagada @ 7pm; my mummy was in serious pain, she was just crying all through. D only source of strenght my mummy had was d drip which we have removed since morning and when we got back @ night, d nurses ddnt show any concern dt my mum was weak, it was wt pleading they put back her drip for her. Diff. Things happened dt I can't stat explaining now....to cut d story short, d D-day for d surgery came. We were all happy full of hope.( Meanwhile, since they ddnt allow us sleep wt our patients in ward B, I used to go and peep @ my mum in d mid night and I always c her crying in pain with nobody attending to her.) The MD, Dr Orhiafor came and checked on my mum, he asked us to get blood frm blood bank wch we did, we got everytin ready for d surgery. They av worn d green overall for mum for d surgery(10am) and Doc. Orhiafor told Dr sholanke( d surgeon managing mum b4)to step out of d case and he asked Doc. Tunji(TJ) to com in then he went through our file, he sed he won't do d surgery w.out d x-ray result and we told him wot happent; there he took is phone to call the owner of d diagnostics centre and he sed their machine has been repaired. So dr orhiafor asked us to take mummy back to maryland for d x-ray. Immediately mum heard dt, she started crying(orhiafor shouldn't av sed it in her presence) and she bcame cold. We begged and begged that they shd allow us do it @ a near by, they sed NO. Orhiafor said he would come bak for d surgery in 2days time cos d following day is a public holiday and wen my mummy heard dt too, she was crying dt she can't hold d pain for 2more days again. Mum bcame cold and started shivering seriously, I quickly ran to d theatre(there's an office there) to call on d Drs bt sholanke sent me away and TJ was busy playing with a woman. I ran to Orhiafor and he sed" go n call d younger doctors or is it me dt wl now follow u, common get out" I left in tears and disappointment. Wen I got bak, my mum was already gasping(4pm) I ran again to emmergency and pleaded to 1 Doc to follow me and giv her some hope, wen d Doc got there, he just sed"pele o" and he went to nurses common room and was asking y they don't have cold cocacola in their fridge.....when d nurses saw dt my trouble is too much, they gave me an endless list of drip and injection to go and buy @ the pharmacy. I rushed down to buy( I ddnt even collect change) and on getting back they have placed mum on oxygen bt I noticed that they ddnt put on the oxygen & when I told them they shouted @ me and said" when u know all ds y bring ur mother to d hospital". My mother struggled till she later gave up. When she died (8pm)we wanted to take her corpse bt d nurses sed they must take her to mortuary and we wl pay 10k to get her, we had to beg again to get our corpse oo. We ddnt even get death certificate cos d person to stamp has closed. I later learnt dt docs would refer patients to diagnostics centre where they get their own percentage on every money they patient pays. D nurses too said they know dt what the Drs ar doing is nt proper bt they(nurses) can't attend to surgery patients because the Doc wl hold them responsible incase their flup so they are sorry that they watched my mum died

No vex ooo... Wetin u come do after? Cuz for me that hospital and doctor r both dead to me... Imagine the rubbish
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by forlahkhe: 5:04pm On Jun 04, 2015
viruz007:

No vex ooo... Wetin u come do after? Cuz for me that hospital and doctor r both dead to me... Imagine the rubbish
My brother, wot shd I av done? There's a yoruba saying dt "olowo sehun gbogbo tan".....if I want to sue them then I should av a concrete evidence; mayb voice record or video(wch I don't av) and if @al I charge them to court my brother, na so so adjournment go end d story....abi? By the time d case reach 5yrs for court, won't I back out...hen en, na ds naija you go hear say yanya bomb blast suspect's case is stl in court....mtcheeeew
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by viruz007(m): 10:51pm On Jun 04, 2015
forlahkhe:

My brother, wot shd I av done? There's a yoruba saying dt "olowo sehun gbogbo tan".....if I want to sue them then I should av a concrete evidence; mayb voice record or video(wch I don't av) and if @al I charge them to court my brother, na so so adjournment go end d story....abi? By the time d case reach 5yrs for court, won't I back out...hen en, na ds naija you go hear say yanya bomb blast suspect's case is stl in court....mtcheeeew

I understand... Was just too angry. Me personally for cut person balls especially that CMD.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by allycat: 10:50am On Jun 06, 2015
forlahkhe:

At least write a petition to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, luckily you know the names of the doctors involved. Get their address of the Internet. Even if nothing is done today it will be in their files. One day something will happen and that your petition will become the game changer. I advice people to complain even if I am involvedelighted. Nowadays the medical council is taking petitions seriously!

3 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by rezzy: 12:44pm On Jun 06, 2015
@wasamtech,
It's a pity dear. May God console you and your wife.

But I'm just wondering, can't your hospital do blood transfusion?

My baby was jaundiced at birth. It was so high that the doctor didn't allow us to go even though my husband told him he didn't have much cash again.

My baby was placed on bilirubin machine for 6 days.

I wanted us to go home to use morning sun and pawpaw water to treat it because I was feeling guilty I made him spend lot of money due to laziness that almost caused my baby his life.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by forlahkhe: 12:53pm On Jun 06, 2015
allycat:

At least write a petition to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, luckily you know the names of the doctors involved. Get their address of the Internet. Even if nothing is done today it will be in their files. One day something will happen and that your petition will become the game changer. I advice people to complain even if I am involvedelighted. Nowadays the medical council is taking petitions seriously!
Yeah....u'r right bt wot is my evidence?? Just d story? No video or voice record? They can deny it u know.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Lobolintin(m): 11:17pm On Jun 06, 2015
rosy27:

sun wetin? I pray u will not give birth to a preterm baby cus with preterm u go no say jundice get level, preterm babies are prone to jundice at a very high level and those of us that had premature babies may God protect them. At the same time i will advise u read more about jundice on the internet so that if we see any baby with jundice we wont advice they keep the babay at home for any traditional treatment cus the more it stays in their body, the more damage it does to the brain. Nobody pray for cerebral pulsy

Wao can I get to know more personally from you

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:28am On Jun 07, 2015
You are mad! You need help.
DrGroove:
Loss of a child is not a man's loss. Why are you ranting n faking emotions? or is it because it was a baby boy? Allow your wife, the real person,who has lost this baby be the chief mourner.not you.
You are a man...You can have hundred of that child within one year

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:40am On Jun 07, 2015
So heart breaking to read this. May God comfort you and your wife. I really hope you would edit your post and indicate the name of the hospital. This could save a soul.

Our judicial system is messed up too. I don't believe in sueing.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by allycat: 10:42am On Jun 07, 2015
forlahkhe:

Yeah....u'r right bt wot is my evidence?? Just d story? No video or voice record? They can deny it u know.

Just write your petition for the record. Don't worry yourself about what they will do or not do.As I said earlier if all who have a complaint put it in writing the authorities will be forced to look into it. So far as we all leave it to God nothing will ever change. Remember it is many little drops of water that make a mighty ocean.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Pekadust: 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
uyiekpenm:

Exactly outreach is the best children hospital. I can attest to that.
RIP baby Salman.
I heard about outreach too o! But pls what's their price range 4 normal delivery. I'm particular cos private hospital showed me wen! For my 1st born. Only God saves in this country.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Pekadust: 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
RIP baby Salman, some private hospitals are worse than general sha. My 1st born almost died due to negligence, she was turning blue and we had to force the doctor to admit her. Outreach has good ratings. May God console you and reward you with another child. Your story is extremely touching and I can't believe LUTH and other general hospitals treated u that way.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ebola Latest: US Rejects Nigeria’s Request For Trial Drug / 25.6m Living With HIV, African Region Most Affected - WHO / Monkeypox: Delta State Commissioner For Health Visits Suspected Victims(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.