Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. (38937 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / Urgent Suggestion For Maize Farming / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 12:24am On May 31, 2015
MAIZE FARMING IN NIGERIA ( 2015 SEASON) - MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Farm Location : Uromi, Edo State ( South South Nigeria).
Farm Size: 10 hectares ( 25 Acres).
Budget: N300, 000
Variety: IAR&T' Tropical Zea Planter ( Baga).
Variant: Color: White.

By Jan 2015, the land area was chosen, so much needs to be put in place, the exact location of the farm was more than 45 mins drive from the city centre. At this point, the seeds for planting has not been sourced ( I was initially considering IFe maize 3 or 4 or the newly released 5 & 6) . Here is how its been so far:

WHAT I BORE IN MIND
NImet' 2015 weather and rainfall forecast predicting a later than normal rainfall in the area.

LAND PREP
Feb 2015
The land was formally a Government assisted communal farm. Those in charge told me the last time it was cultivated is 2007. So, I skipped the soil test with the hope that any possible deficiency will be fixed when I apply fertilizers.

March 13 2015, there still was no single drop of rain in the area. This same day, those in charge finally allocated my portion of land to me after paying my dues ( Approximately N65,000 for a 2 year lease).

NATURE OF LAND: Grassland with a number of trees and broad leaves. The Land was sparsely populated on one side and was a little thick with trees on the other side.

CHALLENGE 1: I planned to till and harrow with tractor. however, such was not readily available in the area. I was directed to a nearby university in order to hire, the price was very high ( N50,000 per day and am required to buy diesel ). secondly, their 2 tractors were not operational at the time I made my request.

CHALLENGE 2: Due to the trees and shrubs in the farming area, the tractor hiring unit required me to de-stomp the area. This process is slow and costly.

MY DECISION:
I contacted Biostadt, Lagos for Syngenta' Touchdown ( A more concentrated Glyphosate/systemic herbicide) and I bought some cartons sufficient for 10 hectares. I went to a reliable Chemical store, I bought a reliable brand of Altrazine. I mixed as recommended. This I expect will treat Both pre-emergence and post-emergence. I brought hired labor and they sprayed the whole area with Knapsack spray pumps. I had to wait until the Fifteenth day before planting. I also had to pray for rain to fall with 7 days, else the Altrazine will not work. As it happened, there was a heavy down pour on the 6th day after spraying ( this was the first rain we had). When I arrived at my farm land 15 days after spraying, everything was dead except the trees. The soil was visible and smooth. I did not brush/slash nor till. All I did was spray. The only little challenge posed was the cutting off of dead stems of broad-leaved weeds. After which am ready to plant.

SOURCING FOR PLANTING SEEDS
All efforts made to get Ife maize directly from IAR&T failed. So, I contacted local ADP office and the Commercial sales manager recommended Tropical zae planter Baga. I took samples, did a planting test and it was More than 90%. I bought 250 KG for 10 ha.

PLANTING
Layout: 75cm x 50cm, 2 seeds per spot.
MARCH ( 4TH WEEK): There is still no sufficient rainfall, everywhere was dry and hot. But we had to plant. I brought a bunch of hired laborers, I told them they must plant in rows, they argued and said that's not how they do it in their village. Well, I dropped them off and got other persons ( it took me 10 days to put a planting team together ). I expected the planting stage to be easier, but it was the toughest and most expensive. A team of 4 persons was only able to plant half a hectare per day and I had 2 teams. Well after 10 days, the planting was over, I was happy and for the first time since I embarked on this project, I had a chilled pack of fruit juice and slept well, to return to my farm after 4 days to see the beautiful young sprouts of maize.

CHALLENGES UPON CHALLENGES
1. When I got to my farm, I was so much In a hurry to see the young sprouts. I realized only a few of them had Germinated. I was so uncomfortable, I tilled a spot with a slim cutlass. what I saw shook me; a small yellow milipaed was wrapped around the 2 seeds planted and has completely eaten the seeds. I tilled up to 20 spots, in some I saw termites, ants and millipaeds. The ADP manager earlier told me the seeds were treated against insects, I called him up. He said he was not sure it is treated.

2. Those that have Germinated ( less than 60%) were being destroyed by Laeva worms, spotted hoppers. it was a terrible sight to behold. My fine young maize had holes all over it and were being cut-down by worms.

3. Then the worse happened: These ants, termites and hoppers drew the attention of birds which came in droves, weeded/uprooted my crops from the soil and ate both the ants and seeds. I cried!

DEFYING AND OVERCOMING
Of the area planted so far, only 20 percent survived. I had to replant, but not until I was ready to eliminate my enemies ( the enemies of progress).
1. Defense 1: I bought Syngenta' Karat, mixed as recommended and sprayed the surviving crops. The heartless insects all died ( some on top of the crop while taking a bite). within 3 days, their vegetation improved. My Maize now looks like it.
2. I used a little bit diluted Karat to coat the second batch of maize seeds I bought before planting them. 4 days after planting, they all germinated and with fresh leaves. Good riddance to Insects.

GBOSA! ANOTHER CHALLENGE: Oh my God. Just when I thought I can rest my body and mind, I realized something was terribly wrong. its been 2 weeks since we planted, the crops seems to be slow with growth. Also, some areas ( especially where the trees formally were) experienced good crops growth. The conclusion is that the soil though well drain, its not fertile.

I can't use chemical fertilizer at this early stage and if I leave my crops this way, they'll suffer from Chronic nutrients deficiency and they will give me low yield. So, I mobilized 120 bags ( 100kg each) of poultry droppings. it was applied in a ring style around each spot containing 2 stands of growing maize. Within 4 days ( After rainfall), the maize doubled their size, leaves became greener. In 10, they tripled their sizes.

EXPECTATIONS
Yield: 1 neatly filled ear per plant stand , 6 tons per ha ( dried grains).

FINANCES
Budget ( Adjustment): N350, 000 spent so far

MARKETING/ SALES:
Target Market: 1. Fresh maize buyers. 2 Dried grains Buyers.

I promise to provide update as soon as I can.

Personal experience of Mr James
Published by Mr James.

What do you think? do you have an advise or suggestion? Though I have a sales channel, I need more. You can contact me.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 12:39am On May 31, 2015
Sir how can I reach u
Joive:

By Jan 2015, the land area was chosen, so much needs to be put in place, the exact location of the farm was more than 45 mins drive from the city centre. At this point, the seeds for planting has not been sourced ( I was initially considering IFe maize 3 or 4 or the newly released 5 & 6) . Here is how its been so far:

WHAT I BORE IN MIND
NImet' 2015 weather and rainfall forecast predicting a later than normal rainfall in the area.

LAND PREP
Feb 2015
The land was formally a Government assisted communal farm. Those in charge told me the last time it was cultivated is 2007. So, I skipped the soil test with the hope that any possible deficiency will be fixed when I apply fertilizers.

March 13 2015, there still was no single drop of rain in the area. This same day, those in charge finally allocated my portion of land to me after paying my dues ( Approximately N65,000 for a 2 year lease).

NATURE OF LAND: Grassland with a number of trees and broad leaves. The Land was sparsely populated on one side and was a little thick with trees on the other side.

CHALLENGE 1: I planned to till and harrow with tractor. however, such was not readily available in the area. I was directed to a nearby university in order to hire, the price was very high ( N50,000 per day and am required to buy diesel ). secondly, their 2 tractors were not operational at the time I made my request.

CHALLENGE 2: Due to the trees and shrubs in the farming area, the tractor hiring unit required me to de-stomp the area. This process is slow and costly.

MY DECISION:
I contacted Biostadt, Lagos for Syngenta' Touchdown ( A more concentrated Glyphosate/systemic herbicide) and I bought some cartons sufficient for 10 hectares. I went to a reliable Chemical store, I bought a reliable brand of Altrazine. I mixed as recommended. This I expect will treat Both pre-emergence and post-emergence. I brought hired labor and they sprayed the whole area with Knapsack spray pumps. I had to wait until the Fifteenth day before planting. I also had to pray for rain to fall with 7 days, else the Altrazine will not work. As it happened, there was a heavy down pour on the 6th day after spraying ( this was the first rain we had). When I arrived at my farm land 15 days after spraying, everything was dead except the trees. The soil was visible and smooth. I did not brush/slash nor till. All I did was spray. The only little challenge posed was the cutting off of dead stems of broad-leaved weeds. After which am ready to plant.

All efforts made to get Ife maize directly from IAR&T failed. So, I contacted local ADP office and the Commercial sales manager recommended Tropical zae planter Baga. I took samples, did a planting test and it was More than 90%. I bought 250 KG for 10 ha.

PLANTING
MARCH ( 4TH WEEK): There is still no sufficient rainfall, everywhere was dry and hot. But we had to plant. I brought a bunch of hired laborers, I told them they must plant in rows, they argued and said that's not how they do it in their village. Well, I dropped them off and got other persons ( it took me 10 days to put a planting team together ). I expected the planting stage to be easier, but it was the toughest and most expensive. A team of 4 persons was only able to plant half a hectare per day and I had 2 teams. Well after 10 days, the planting was over, I was happy and for the first time since I embarked on this project, I had a chilled pack of fruit juice and slept well, to return to my farm after 4 days to see the beautiful young sprouts of maize.

1. When I got to my farm, I was so much In a hurry to see the young sprouts. I realized only a few of them had Germinated. I was so uncomfortable, I tilled a spot with a slim cutlass. what I saw shook me; a small yellow milipaed was wrapped around the 2 seeds planted and has completely eaten the seeds. I tilled up to 20 spots, in some I saw termites, ants and millipaeds. The ADP manager earlier told me the seeds were treated against insects, I called him up. He said he was not sure it is treated.

2. Those that have Germinated ( less than 60%) were being destroyed by Laeva worms, spotted hoppers. it was a terrible sight to behold. My fine young maize had holes all over it and were being cut-down by worms.

3. Then the worse happened: These ants, termites and hoppers drew the attention of birds which came in droves, weeded/uprooted my crops from the soil and ate both the ants and seeds. I cried!

DEFYING AND OVERCOMING
Of the area planted so far, only 20 percent survived. I had to replant, but not until I was ready to eliminate my enemies ( the enemies of progress).
1. Defense 1: I bought Syngenta' Karat, mixed as recommended and sprayed the surviving crops. The heartless insects all died ( some on top of the crop while taking a bite). within 3 days, their vegetation improved. My Maize now looks like it.
2. I used a little bit diluted Karat to coat the second batch of maize seeds I bought before planting them. 4 days after planting, they all germinated and with fresh leaves. Good riddance to Insects.

GBOSA! ANOTHER CHALLENGE: Oh my God. Just when I thought I can rest my body and mind, I realized something was terribly wrong. its been 2 weeks since we planted, the crops seems to be slow with growth. Also, some areas ( especially where the trees formally were) experienced good crops growth. The conclusion is that the soil though well drain, its not fertile.

I can't use chemical fertilizer at this early stage and if I leave my crops this way, they'll suffer from Chronic nutrients deficiency and they will give me low yield. So, I mobilized 120 bags ( 100kg each) of poultry droppings. it was applied in a ring style around each spot containing 2 stands of growing maize. Within 4 days ( After rainfall), the maize doubled their size, leaves became greener. In 10, they tripled their sizes.

EXPECTATIONS

FINANCES

MARKETING/ SALES:

Published by Mr James.

What do you think? do you have an advise or suggestion? Though I have a sales channel, I need more. You can contact me.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 1:02am On May 31, 2015
@adeekiti, You can reach me on my phone number: 08115185182 ( No night calls pls)
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by drake2(m): 4:26am On May 31, 2015
Joive:

WHAT I BORE IN MIND

LAND PREP
Feb 2015

MY DECISION:

PLANTING

DEFYING AND OVERCOMING

EXPECTATIONS

FINANCES

MARKETING/ SALES:

Published by Mr James.

Am surprised your maize responded to poultry manure in 4days. That was pretty fast; how long will the post emergence effect of the spray last on the weeds? Do you anticipate any physical weeding before harvest?

Your land prep. was really effective and impressive, but we are not allowed to use inorganic inputs in our farms. Land prep. and manual weeding are always huge challenges.

We cultivate wide array of medicinal plants organically. And "Zobo" (H.sabdariffa) has been giving us problem (pests-leaf hoppers); have you got any organic (sprays) solutions?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by shinaboy: 5:39am On May 31, 2015
What is the expected selling price per ton of maize.?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 9:04am On May 31, 2015
OP,

nice diary you are putting up here. I have some question though.

1) Did you eventually use the tractors? You never stated.
2) From your experience, when do you recommend the use of poultry droppings? Is it while preparing the land or immediately after sprouting?
3) It is obvious the seeds were not treated. Is it therefore advisable to treat the seeds once again even after assurances from the seed source?
4) Do you intend to keep this project rain-fed or are you planning on using irrigation?

Keep the posts and pictures coming.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 9:24am On May 31, 2015
shinaboy:
What is the expected selling price per ton of maize.?
A ton of dried Maize sold for N50,000 ( Nov/Dec 2014, exchange rate was around N150), N60,000 - N65,000 (Jan - Feb 2015, exchange rate was N187). Major consumers of maize, namely; Animal Feed mills, breweries and Flour mills has been importing maize from the USA to meet their needs because of inadequate local production. They pay the Naira equivalent of $350. As at today, the exchange rate is $200 to 1 dollar. so, they buy at N70,000 per ton. They also buy locally produced maize at the same price ( in fact, they try to beat the price down). However, if you are current with price trends, you will bargain wisely. So, the current price of maize is N70,000 per ton.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 9:50am On May 31, 2015
A bag of about 120 fresh maize cobs currently sells for between N3,500 and N4,000 in the FCT. Would it be advantageous to sell fresh maize as opposed to those looking for breweries and feed mills to sell at N70,000 per ton.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 9:57am On May 31, 2015
drake2:

Am surprised your maize responded to poultry manure in 4days. That was pretty fast; how long will the post emergence effect of the spray last on the weeds? Do you anticipate any physical weeding before harvest?

Your land prep. was really effective and impressive, but we are not allowed to use inorganic inputs in our farms. Land prep. and manual weeding are always huge challenges.

We cultivate wide array of medicinal plants organically. And "Zobo" (H.sabdariffa) has been giving us problem (pests-leaf hoppers); have you got any organic (sprays) solutions?

The post emergence of the weeds will last for 5 - 6 months before you see noticeable population of weeds. Am not expecting to weed before harvest because my maize is an early maturing variety of 70 days ( According to the source), but I'll looking at 90 days maturity.

About Organic sprays, I really don't have a brand to recommend. But you can prep a simple one yourself.

1. Locate a couple of Glyricydia trees ( most people use them for staking yams). peel the bark and pound to a paste.
2. Add a measure of vegetable oil ( not red oil) to the paste. And press the solution ( filter the liquid part from the paste) and store it. thats your insecticide.
3. Store sufficient quantity of wood ash.
3. When you are ready to use: fill a 16L knapsack spray pump and Add 2 milk cups of wood ash + 1 milk cup of your insecticide solution. Then, Spray your crops.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 10:07am On May 31, 2015
stagger:
A bag of about 120 fresh maize cobs currently sells for between N3,500 and N4,000 in the FCT. Would it be advantageous to sell fresh maize as opposed to those looking for breweries and feed mills to sell at N70,000 per ton.

The problem we've had with selling fresh maize is lack of Bulk buyers. From a little research I did, it is far more profitable to sell fresh maize. As for me, if I get an offer of bulk purchase ( even if its a pickup truck load), I'll sell fresh ( after all, I planted sweet corn not field corn). The fear most maize farmers have is not finding buyers for their fresh maize on time. if the market is available, Selling fresh is the best.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 10:21am On May 31, 2015
stagger:
OP,

nice diary you are putting up here. I have some question though.

1) Did you eventually use the tractors? You never stated.
2) From your experience, when do you recommend the use of poultry droppings? Is it while preparing the land or immediately after sprouting?
3) It is obvious the seeds were not treated. Is it therefore advisable to treat the seeds once again even after assurances from the seed source?
4) Do you intend to keep this project rain-fed or are you planning on using irrigation?

Keep the posts and pictures coming.

1. No, I did not. I only treated the area for pre and post emergence weed control.
2. Since poultry dropping is made up of complex Nitrites which usually takes time to be broken-down in
the soil for release of the much needed soil Nitrogen. it is best done during land prep or shortly after sprouting. Chemical fertilizers shouldn't be used this early because it will leech away.
3. Yes. I advise farmers to treat their seeds before planting even if the source has confirmed that it was treated before.
4. The rains has started properly. so, I intend to rely solely on rainfall as far as this project is concerned.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 10:47am On May 31, 2015
Nice one.
Am really impressed with how u cleared ur vegetation.
I will try ur method next time. The herbs in my location are very wicked. They sprout immediately rain falls on the ground if u clear with manual labour. They will respect u a little if u use herbicides buy not more than 3months.

U didn't tell us how u tilled ur land cos it looks ploughed .
Can those herbicides be used in a vegetable farm like cucumber?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 10:49am On May 31, 2015
Ok, thank you for your answers. They have helped many including myself. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:10am On May 31, 2015
mercylicious:
Nice one.
I will try ur method next time. The herbs in my location are very wicked. They sprout immediately rain falls on the ground if u clear with manual labour. They will respect u a little if u use herbicides buy not more than 3months.

The land was already tractorized in 2007 and has not be cultivated ever since. When planting, we used hoes to till the soil ( planting spots), not cutlasses.

Yes, they are normal herbicides. one is Glyphosate ( but in more concentrated form ) while the other is Altrazine. However, I advise you to treat and wait for the recommended window period of 14 days before planting. Most Agric Extension Agents from Government agencies will tell you to plant before treatment, don't try it because Altrazine which treats pre-emergence is very good at killing seeds and your crop's will not be spared.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:50am On May 31, 2015
@mercylicious, I understand you know a lot about Anambra.
1. How would you rate Anambra' maize market?
2. Judging by the level of demand, Would you say: Anambra' market is for Fresh maize or Dried maize?
3. Are there signs of Unity/ Organization of fresh maize buyers in Anambra?
4. Have you recognized some sort of fresh maize dealers who buy in bulk and distribute/sell in less quantity (bags) to Retailers ( processed fresh maize sellers)?
5. Is there a local Igbo delicacy derivable from fresh maize or dried maize?

I intend to Tour the following places in order to assess their fresh maize markets: Abuja, Niger State, Anambra, Ogun and Lagos. your input will be helpful.
Thanks
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 31, 2015
Joive:
@mercylicious, I understand you know a lot about Anambra.
1. How would you rate Anambra' maize market?
2. Judging by the level of demand, Would you say: Anambra' market is for Fresh maize or Dried maize?
3. Are there signs of Unity/ Organization of fresh maize buyers in Anambra?
4. Have you recognized some sort of fresh maize dealers who buy in bulk and distribute/sell in less quantity (bags) to Retailers ( processed fresh maize sellers)?
5. Is there a local Igbo delicacy derivable from fresh maize or dried maize?

I intend to Tour the following places in order to assess their fresh maize markets: Abuja, Niger State, Anambra, Ogun and Lagos. your input will be helpful.
Thanks

Its good you come here cos there is MKT for almost anything.
For maize, there is no special market for maize only.
Foodstuff is sold at Ose market. Most bulk sellers come on Saturday morning and finish selling b4 7:30 b4 d retailers take over. Another market for food stuff is ibrufish MKT.it is close to upper iweka.

Most ppl that roast corn by the roadside buy from farm. They go to the farm and payoff the farmer. They harvest as their MKT demands. There is one woman that sells fresh corn all year round at stock exchange junction will get her number so that you can discuss more with her.

As for dry corn, they buy in big bags and most are bought from BIU and other northern states. I will also give u a contact of a grain seller I know, but you have to be careful with them as most business men here are just after ripping you off.

As for Igbo delicacy, nothing can beat cooked fresh maize eaten with cocunut in d evening. Pap, igba oka etc are some delicacies.

4 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 12:26pm On May 31, 2015
mercylicious:

Its good you come here cos there is MKT for almost anything.
For maize, there is no special market for maize only.
Foodstuff is sold at Ose market. Most bulk sellers come on Saturday morning and finish selling b4 7:30 b4 d retailers take over. Another market for food stuff is ibrufish MKT.it is close to upper iweka.

Most ppl that roast corn by the roadside buy from farm. They go to the farm and payoff the farmer. They harvest as their MKT demands. There is one woman that sells fresh corn all year round at stock exchange junction will get her number so that you can discuss more with her.

As for dry corn, they buy in big bags and most are bought from BIU and other northern states. I will also give u a contact of a grain seller I know, but you have to be careful with them as most business men here are just after ripping you off.

As for Igbo delicacy, nothing can beat cooked fresh maize eaten with cocunut in d evening. Pap, igba oka etc are some delicacies.

Coconut abi pear? This time of the year is the student's best friend. You can do corn-1-1 or 0-1-corn or corn-1-corn. Whether groundnut, coconut or pear, it is all ok. The mouth organ kept us alive during lean periods. God surely had us in mind when creating the mouth organ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 1:58pm On May 31, 2015
@Stagger, How would you rate the demand for fresh maize across Nigeria? High, Moderate, Moderately-Low or Low and how many persons out of 10 do you think will eat maize whenever the opportunity arises. I really need to hear from people and the general public on this. Judging by the fact that Fresh maize is mostly consumed boiled or roasted ( it is usually not processed into something else). Ironically, though a maize farmer, I don't consume maize that much. I eat 1 cob per week. So, am thinking " Who's gonna eat all these maize if I decide to sell them fresh?" ( about 532,000 cobs obtainable per ha).
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 3:02pm On May 31, 2015
Joive:
@Stagger, How would you rate the demand for fresh maize across Nigeria? High, Moderate, Moderately-Low or Low and how many persons out of 10 do you think will eat maize whenever the opportunity arises. I really need to hear from people and the general public on this. Judging by the fact that Fresh maize is mostly consumed boiled or roasted ( it is usually not processed into something else). Ironically, though a maize farmer, I don't consume maize that much. I eat 1 cob per week. So, am thinking " Who's gonna eat all these maize if I decide to sell them fresh?" ( about 532,000 cobs obtainable per ha).

I have not done a study but I can gauge the demand as follows. If you go to 1st avenue in Gwarinpa, there are several people selling corn in front of that market there, opposite Diamond bank. Go to Galadima junction, and you will see boiled corn; at least 3-4 women daily. It is from these people I got the price of a bag of corn. They almost always sell the product out daily. Sometimes you have to stay on queue for roasted corn in some places. The demand for fresh maize is very high.

The job for you is how to convert the high consumption into money in your pocket via distribution. Maybe you may need to get one or two bulk buyers. Perhaps you can talk to sellers to buy from your farm directly. I think that once your corn is of very high quality (big with good seed formation) which sets it apart from the rest, very soon your fame will spread.

So is there demand? Yes there is. But try to ensure that you can CORNER THE MARKET for your product.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by FarmTech(m): 4:14pm On May 31, 2015
drake2:

Neem oil can help with pest. Aspirin solution can be use as preventive measure: http://www.farmersjoint.com/blog/crop-and-plantation/crops/reduce-pest-attacks-crops-aspirin/.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Curiouscity(m): 4:32pm On May 31, 2015
Joive:

Though I am still testing the waters, one thing you can do next time if you continue with maize is plant one (or 2) hectare(s) per week if you intend to sell fresh corn. That way, one hectare matures in a week and you concentrate on marketing one or two hectare(s).

BTW, I like your diary !!

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by drake2(m): 4:54pm On May 31, 2015
FarmTech:

Neem oil can help with pest. Aspirin solution can be use as preventive measure: http://www.farmersjoint.com/blog/crop-and-plantation/crops/reduce-pest-attacks-crops-aspirin/.

Thanks, will check it out.

@OP, many thanks for your suggestions too,
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by AreaFada2: 4:56pm On May 31, 2015
@Poster,

Watch out for grasscutter in your area. They ruined a family member's hectares of maize last year. He switched to plantain this year.

Good account/diary.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 6:14pm On May 31, 2015
AreaFada2:
@Poster,

Watch out for grasscutter in your area. They ruined a family member's hectares of maize last year. He switched to plantain this year.

Good account/diary.

So what is the solution? I am sure they are mostly active at night.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by AreaFada2: 6:21pm On May 31, 2015
stagger:

So what is the solution? I am sure they are mostly active at night.

On a small scale, traps are usually set around the farm. When few of them are caught, they usually run away. But with many hectares, am not sure. If weed is well controlled, they are usually reluctant to devour crops.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 6:52pm On May 31, 2015
AreaFada2:
@Poster,

Good account/diary.
Thank you so much. Am prepared to deal with them.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 7:01pm On May 31, 2015
Curiouscity:

Though I am still testing the waters, one thing you can do next time if you continue with maize is plant one (or 2) hectare(s) per week if you intend to sell fresh corn. That way, one hectare matures in a week and you concentrate on marketing one or two hectare(s).

BTW, I like your diary !!

Thank you so much for this smart suggestion. I will definitely put it into practice when next I plant.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 7:05pm On May 31, 2015
stagger:

I have not done a study but I can gauge the demand as follows. If you go to 1st avenue in Gwarinpa, there are several people selling corn in front of that market there, opposite Diamond bank. Go to Galadima junction, and you will see boiled corn; at least 3-4 women daily. It is from these people I got the price of a bag of corn. They almost always sell the product out daily. Sometimes you have to stay on queue for roasted corn in some places. The demand for fresh maize is very high.

The job for you is how to convert the high consumption into money in your pocket via distribution. Maybe you may need to get one or two bulk buyers. Perhaps you can talk to sellers to buy from your farm directly. I think that once your corn is of very high quality (big with good seed formation) which sets it apart from the rest, very soon your fame will spread.

So is there demand? Yes there is. But try to ensure that you can CORNER THE MARKET for your product.

Thank you so much!
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Soloxam(m): 8:18pm On May 31, 2015
mercylicious:
Nice one.

Don't use atrazine in cucumber farm as pre emergence, it will germinate and die after a week or two.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by anienge001: 6:27am On Jun 01, 2015
Joive:

Good farm journal!! Explicit with lots of practical lessons.

@Joive, check the bold statement. Is this quantity for the 10hectares or per hectare? Going by your planting distance, it should be 53333 cobs/ha assuming every stand produces a marketable cob.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 7:21am On Jun 01, 2015
anienge001:

Good farm journal!! Explicit with lots of practical lessons.

@Joive, check the bold statement. Is this quantity for the 10hectares or per hectare? Going by your planting distance, it should be 53333 cobs/ha assuming every stand produces a marketable cob.

Thank you so much. That quantity of cobs is for 10 ha not 1ha. I have 26600 spots, 2 maize stands per spot = 53,200 per ha. Actually, I meant to say 532,000 cobs for the whole farm.

Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Juliana7: 7:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
@op, wow, this is an inspiring thread. Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly / Daily Price Of Foodstuff And Commodities Uploaded / Anambra Stone Free Rice Ready For Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.