Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,887 members, 7,838,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. (986 Views)

Nigerian Soldier Shot On The Leg In Cameroon During Fight With Boko Haram (Pic) / Secretary Of State Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident / Who Is More Relaxed Here (GMB Or GEJ) In The Meeting With John Kerry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 31, 2015
This is a tragedy in a foreign land.
Thank God for bad road in Nigeria.
71-year-old US Secretary of State forced to cancel trip to Spain and France
John Kerry has cut short a diplomatic trip to Europe after breaking his leg in a bicycle accident in France.
The 71-year-old US secretary of state, who had been holding talks in Switzerland on the Iran nuclear crisis, broke his right femur in the accident in Scionzier near Chamonix.
He was treated at the scene by a doctor in his motorcade and then flown by medical helicopter to a Geneva hospital. Mr Kerry will return to his hometown of Boston for treatment.

John Kerry, right, riding his bicycle in Lausanne in March (AFP)
“The Secretary is stable and never lost consciousness, his injury is not life-threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery,” said John Kirby, a spokesman for Mr Kerry.“Secretary Kerry is in good spirits and is grateful to the French and Swiss authorities, doctors, and nurses who assisted him after the accident.”
The accident forced Mr Kerry to cancel a trip to Madrid where he was scheduled to meet the Spanish king as well as Mariano Rajoy, the Spanish prime minister.
He has also had to cancel a visit to Paris where he was due to take part in a summit of nations involved in countering Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). The State Department said he intended to be involved in the anti-Isil meetings by video link.
Mr Kerry is a keen cyclist and would often wait out pauses during the long-running nuclear negotiations with Iran by riding in nearby Swiss hills.
During his unsuccessful 2004 presidential campaign against George W Bush, he asked for staff to arrange for a stationary bike or cycling machine to be placed in his hotel rooms.
Six months after his 2004 defeat he spent time in France watching Lance Armstrong win seventh consecutive Tour de France title.
Mr Armstrong and Mr Kerry were close before the professional cyclist’s fall from grace in a doping scandal.
Here is the full statement from the State Department:

Secretary Kerry broke his right femur in a bicycling accident this morning in Scionzier, France. Given the injury is near the site of his prior hip surgery, he will return to Boston today to seek treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital with his doctor who did the prior surgery. The Secretary is stable and never lost consciousness, his injury is not life-threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery.
Secretary Kerry is in good spirits and is grateful to the French and Swiss authorities, doctors, and nurses who assisted him after the accident.
The Secretary very much regrets not being able to visit Spain to meet with one of our close allies for discussions on a range of issues, as well as being unable to attend the counter-ISIL coalition ministerial meeting on Tuesday in Paris in person. The Secretary plans to participate in the counter-ISIL coalition meeting remotely.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11641570/John-Kerry-in-Geneva-hospital-after-French-cycling-accident.html
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by adaybayor(m): 5:08pm On May 31, 2015
cry
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by SHARIAREPORTERS: 5:09pm On May 31, 2015
Whoz kerry :-XWhoz kerry?
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by kossyablaze(m): 5:12pm On May 31, 2015
U mean JOHN TERRY breaks leg while playing soccer

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 31, 2015
kossyablaze:
U mean JOHN TERRY breaks leg while playing soccer
SHARIAREPORTERS:
Whoz kerry :-XWhoz kerry?
adaybayor:
cry

Is this not politics forum?
John Kerry. As in the Anyim Pius Anyim of United state.
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 31, 2015
71 year old on a sport bike. The beauty of Paris made him believe he is still capable. But tragedy came uninvited.

Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Jerrosky1986(m): 5:23pm On May 31, 2015
Picture or i dnt blive it
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 31, 2015
Jerrosky1986:
Picture or i dnt blive it

I have head severally that Google is your friend. If you don't want Google images, you can cheerfully provide me with a return ticket to Paris, Visa and International passport and I will provide you with the video. Not just the picture.
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Caseless: 7:45pm On May 31, 2015
Why do I find this story funny?
If it was in naija, we would have blamed on jazz from opposition pdp. But since this accident happened in foreign land, let's blame on R&B and not jazz.
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by Cannonleo(m): 10:26pm On May 31, 2015
unfortunately I was sincerely hoping he broke his damned mouth. that would have slowed uncle sam's wheel of lies for a little while. angryunfortunately I was sincerely hoping he broke his damned mouth. that would have slowed uncle sam's wheel of lies for a little while.
Re: Tragedy: US Secretary Of State John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident. by owobokiri(m): 10:33pm On May 31, 2015
How is this a "tragedy"? Is he working for me? What is my business if he breaks his neck join? Is the long legged busybody serving my interest?

(1) (Reply)

Can You Recognise Anyone In This Pix / A Nigerian 'attacked' By Biafrans On Facebook (transcripts) / What Makes You Happy In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.