Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes (1013 Views)

Arms Contract Scandal: Senator Saraki Blackmailed CBN Officials To Pay N250M / How Central Bank Officials Defrauded Nigeria Of N8 Billion – EFCC / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Teeboy22(m): 8:28am On Jun 01, 2015
6 high ranking officials of the Central Bank of
Nigeria have been arrested for alleged N8 Billion
fraud. According to EFCC, the suspects allegedly stole N8
billion defaced, worn out currencies and
recirculated it. Here is an official statement from the anti corruption
agency; “The suspects drawn from various business units of
the apex bank are to be arraigned by the anti-graft
agency before a Federal High Court sitting in
Ibadan, Oyo State, from Tuesday June 2, 2015 to
Thursday June 4, 2015. “They include Patience Okoro Eye (Abuja), Afolabi
Olufemi (Lagos), Kolawole Babalola (Ibadan),
Olaniran Muniru Adeola (Ibadan), Fatai Yusuf,
Adekunle (Head, Security, CBN, (Ibadan) and Ilori
Adekunle Sunday (Akure). “The remaining 16 suspects are drawn from
various commercial banks who were found to have
conspired with the CBN executives to swing the
heist. “All the suspects who are currently in the custody
of the EFCC are now ruing the day they literally
allowed greed and craze for materialism to becloud
their sense of judgment and responsibility, when
they elected to help themselves to tons of defaced
Naira notes. “ Instead of carrying out the statutory instruction to
destroy the currency, they substituted it with
newspapers neatly cut to Naira sizes and
proceeded to recycle the defaced and mutilated
currency. “The fraud is partly to blame for the failure of
government monetary policy over the years as
currency mop-up exercises by the apex bank
failed to check the inflationary pressure on the
economy.” “The lid on the scam, which is widely suspected to
have gone on unchecked for years, was blown on
November 3, 2014 via a petition to the EFCC
alleging that over N6, 575, 549, 370.00 was
cornered and discreetly recycled by light fingered
top executives of the CBN at the Ibadan branch. “The suspects, who were members of the
Briquetting Panel, plotted their way to infamy on
September 8, 2014 while carrying out a Briquetting
exercise at the CBN Branch, Ibadan. “In banking parlance, Briquetting is disintegration
and destruction of counted and audited dirty notes.
By this practice, depositor banks usually take
mutilated notes to the CBN in exchange for fresh
notes equivalent of the amount deposited. “The depositor banks, in this instance, are Zenith
Bank, FCMB, Wema Bank, Access Bank, First Bank,
Skye Bank, Ecobank and Sterling Bank “But while carrying out the assignment, the team
was alleged to have found one of the currency
boxes filled only with old newspapers rather than
20 bundles of N1000 notes. A similar case, according to investigation, had been
discovered on September 22, 2014 when a box
that was supposed to contain N500 notes to the
tune of N5billion was filled with old newspapers. “Unlike in the past, this fraud could not be swept
under the carpet, as a member of the Briquetting
Panel from the Osogbo branch blew the lid on the
illicit deal. “In a statement, the informant stated that the
exercise was designed to last between August 4
and 8, 2014. The 35-year-old, however, stated that
she discovered a strange ‘sight’ while opening the
third box on the second day of the exercise. It was
a discovery that beat her ken. “She added that she confronted the other members
of the panel, including Eye, Head, Briquetting Panel;
Treasury Assistant; Coordinator and Head, Security,
CBN, Ibadan, who all assured her that they would
look into it. “ But she later found out that it was all a ruse. She
said she later found out that Eye not only
maintained sealed lips over the matter but omitted it
from her report. “A five-count charge awaits each of the suspects

cc:seun

1 Share

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by agarawu23(m): 8:30am On Jun 01, 2015
too bad
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by POPdecorator: 9:20am On Jun 01, 2015
C their face lik biafra citizen?
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by WilyWily: 9:43am On Jun 01, 2015
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, immediately i know dat Yorubas don come again,
I said it, Unless Yorubas are genetically Modified, der fraudulent lifestyle will never ever end.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Dbboy(m): 9:43am On Jun 01, 2015
The sophisticated ones top the list. Defrauding Nigeria since the beginning

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by truefact: 9:48am On Jun 01, 2015
This only reason they wanted one Nigeria. ..The sophisticated people want to steal and keep the Nigerian oil wealth

1 Like

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by WilyWily: 9:54am On Jun 01, 2015
truefact:
This only reason they wanted one Nigeria. ..The sophisticated people want to steal and keep the Nigerian oil wealth
For real Yorubas are too Corrupt, Lord have Mercy on Them.

2 Likes

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by xmich(m): 9:57am On Jun 01, 2015
sophisticated ni Educated ko see their faces like ijebu masquerade, Born criminals from the sophisticated tribe of olodowa.

2 Likes

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Teeboy22(m): 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2015
agarawu23:
too bad
agarawu for mr NL....if i no support you no be my mama born me.... grin grin grin
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by agarawu23(m): 4:06pm On Jun 01, 2015
Teeboy22:

agarawu for mr NL....if i no support you no be my mama born me.... grin grin grin
thanks man , let's do it cool
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Ikengawo: 4:09pm On Jun 01, 2015
WilyWily:
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, immediately i know dat Yorubas don come again,
I said it, [b]Unless Yorubas are genetically Modified,
der fraudulent lifestyle will never ever end. [/b]

LMFAAOOO

2 Likes

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Teeboy22(m): 4:22pm On Jun 01, 2015
agarawu23:
aiit bruh..U welcome...

1 Like

Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by lyntiffany(f): 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2015
when I say corruption erupts from the masses some will come here to murder me.

Can someone still tell me this is from the president?

Thank God Jonathan is no longer there, they could have linked this to him. undecided cos any crime perpetrated by the masses is attributed to him.
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by Teeboy22(m): 6:11pm On Jun 01, 2015
agarawu23:
so bro...how do we make it happen?
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by WilyWily: 11:19am On Jun 04, 2015
Why Yorubas, Why ?
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by WilyWily: 11:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
,[b][/b]
Re: 6 CBN Officials Arrested For Stealing N8 Billion, Recirculating Damaged Notes by bigfrancis21: 12:23am On Jun 08, 2015
lalasticlala, ishilove, do the needful please.

(1) (Reply)

Ameachi You're The Cause Of Your Own Problem !!! / Be Patient With Buhari - NEF Tells Nigerians / The Truth About My Battles With Amaechi — Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.