Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims (13146 Views)

Pope Benedict XVI Cured My Cancer / Nigeria’s Arinze Favoured As Pope Benedict XVI Resigns / Pope Benedict To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by kbone(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2006
so sad, so so sad, the fanatics have subjected the world to fear in the name of islam, to think that every single non-muslim who has commented on this topic will most likely run for cover (or even convert to islam by force) when the jihad gets to your door n the sword is by your neck, so sad, no matter what we argue upon here, we may never be able to sway each others opinions, beliefs et al as far as christanity and islam are concerned. So, i think we now all understand the world in which we live today, keep ur head low, your mouth off islam and avoid places/locations/countries where u can easily become a casuality terrorism and learn to live and enjoy what life offers you till the end of the earth comes, sad
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2006
When you have ahmejinadab or whatever his name asking that the UN make it an offence for people to blaspheme Islam,that tells you that the mindset we are working with are people still stuck in the dark ages when Mohammed and his cohorts ran around on horses and camels causing mayhem on innocent citizens.

He should be more concerned of the poverty,the disease ravaging his kinsmen and the fact that girls are not allowed to reach their full potential as humans rather than attempting to sensor free speech as is the order of the day in Sharia Muslim countries.
I hope he got a good lesson on human rights and free speech for his archaic utterance.
I would have pulled his beard, had I been present.

Nice article backslider.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by enugu(f): 9:32pm On Sep 25, 2006
Backslider, nice one cheesy. Hope the 'tolerant' muslims on the forum can read it with an open mind

Do they now see why the argument persists that Islam is not practised as a religion of peace
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by vanariso(m): 11:08am On Sep 26, 2006
Observation/Comments
Thank u all for your comments.For the purpose of enlightenment which is often possible where veins are cool and venoms are not flying,I will want to suggest we stick to the topic at hand and try as much as possible to observe the grand mothers rule "Never say to a person what u cant say to ur g/ma " AIGHT.
Now,
I think we should attck the root-cause of this INTERNATIONAL HOLABALU to genuinely solve it.The main problem is "lack of interpersonal relations and communication breakdown" Tell me ,havent u had/hav a friend/neighbour/colleague/peer that hav different view about everything from urs? Now dont u find a way of living peacefully with this person becuase mainly u know u cant completely avoid them? Thats all we should all do.
If Christians have taken their time to study Islam/Muslims they would hav known that muslims dont take reckless utterances/behaviors about Islam and especially about Rosullu lahi(Mohammed) lightly because they consider it a great blasphemy and threat to their faith.They did not react because nothing happened.They reacted to an action.Its the law of nature as Newton qouted it---ACTIONS AND REACTIONS ARE EQUAL AND OPPOSITE, (in an ideal situation), for those u didnt do science, And unfortunately there is no ideal case and that is why their reaction might be greater than the pope's action.Similarly is the case of lebanon and Isreal, kidnapping a soldier is not equivalent to bombardment of a whole natio.
If christians deem it fit that any cartoon/utterance/action against christianiaty is worth it and they will turn their other cheek for more for the sake of peace, FINE. And if muslim feel order-wise,its their cup of tea, its OK! We should all be conscious of our actions cause there will always be a reaction.Thats why i spoke more here to the christians.All there is to it is to know ourselves ,communicate better and co-exist peacfully.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Backslider(m): 12:03pm On Sep 26, 2006
My dear Vanario,

You have failed to understand that the pope Knows that ISLAM IS TERROR FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END. Please I beg you to search and read the Quran.

I have travelled and I have seen Muslim women and I can tell you it is a sorry sight for this people.

Islam is NEVER peace It is an Evil cult its spread is by terror The greatest move by islam is by a Coward acts of terror. I used to support Islam as a Balance of power between The West and The "east" Since the fall of Russia, But now I see that Islam is The Evil Part of THE MUSLIM OR ARAB Or any one that professes to be one.

The evil in Islam is so great that Abomination of murder and Rape is rife you must know that a man that has 4 wives and has a very low LIBIDO how do they perform and go into their wives.

I have heard that there are Islamic mothers have had sex with their male Children and The fathers Rape their kids.
The Majority of Muslim have no Clue of what is the core of Islam. The submission in Islam is very Selective.

I can say with Authority ISLAM = TERROR.

The greatest Victims of Islam is The Muslima. KNOW THAT MUSLIMS ARE THE VICTIMS the evil is that book called the Quran. It is like you are trained on how to receive terror from Child to adulthood.

Before the advent of Islam what was the behaviour of the Arabs. I am very unhappy with the way the Quran has been made to destroy lives of good people of PERSIA and Arabia, by a group of thugs that called themselves Messengers of God!

I dare say if they introduce the strict aspect of Sharia in Nigeria Fully, we shall have alot of people run from The north to the none Islamic Sharia Areas. please Let us treat them with love We should never kill a muslim NEVER we should accept them in love.

The only thing that a TRUE MUSLIM LACK'S IS LOVE Terror is what they know. I am not talking about Norminal Muslims. I know some VERY DEVOUT MUSLIMS are very willing to quit Islam and we are the only ones that should show them love.

ISLAM IS THE PROBLEM NOT THE FOLLOWERS. but dont get me wrong

EVERY MUSLIM IS A TERRORIST WAITING TO MATURE .

I know a nice yoruba guy very cool guy but I tell you he is a complete defensive guy when you talk about the quran. What the ISLAMIC TEACHER is known to do VERY WELL IS TO DISPUTE THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE BIBLE.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by vanariso(m): 1:22pm On Sep 26, 2006
Helo B/sliders

I will advocate u read my submission b4 urs once again and see my advocacy.I think we should build better communication and interpersonal relations to solve these problems.

Many christians say "love ur neigbhouras u love urself"One of the ten commandments that Jesus told a man He must keep if he wants eternity--aljanat ---paradise

.Mohammed (SAW) says "The angel jibreel--Gabriel --kept advocating me on loving my neigbhour as i love myself to the extent I thought he will come one day and say my neigbhour is entitled to part of my inheritants.

This tells us both religion preaches peace.Mohammed (SAW) describe ur neigbhour as anyone 700 meteres on ur left,right,back and front.Dont u see every body is ur neigbhour?

U re stereotyping and all ur ascertions are without statistical backings and tantamount to voids.
If u say ISLAM=TERROR (astagfurulahi),Then u re saying about 60% of the world human populace are terrorist.Cant u see u re wrong.Every rational being can deduce u re wrong.Please get knowledgeable about Islam b4 u speak. Its a peaceful & honest way of comparative religion dialogue.

Muslims do not compel people to convert as this is totally against the faith's tenets and the word of Allah--Al-quran.It happened to Mohammed (SAW) as his uncle was dieing on a sick bed as a pagan and so also was Noah's son case and Lot's wife.

May Allah guide u to the right path if He so wishes.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by nilla(f): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2006
vanariso:

Observation/Comments
Thank u all for your comments.For the purpose of enlightenment which is often possible where veins are cool and venoms are not flying,I will want to suggest we stick to the topic at hand and try as much as possible to observe the grand mothers rule "Never say to a person what u can't say to your g/ma " AIGHT.
Now,
I think we should attck the root-cause of this INTERNATIONAL HOLABALU to genuinely solve it.The main problem is "lack of interpersonal relations and communication breakdown" Tell me ,havent u had/hav a friend/neighbour/colleague/peer that hav different view about everything from urs? Now don't u find a way of living peacefully with this person becuase mainly u know u can't completely avoid them? Thats all we should all do.
If Christians have taken their time to study Islam/Muslims they would hav known that muslims don't take reckless utterances/behaviors about Islam and especially about Rosullu lahi(Muhammad) lightly because they consider it a great blasphemy and threat to their faith.They did not react because nothing happened.They reacted to an action.Its the law of nature as Newton qouted it---ACTIONS AND REACTIONS ARE EQUAL AND OPPOSITE, (in an ideal situation), for those u didnt do science, And unfortunately there is no ideal case and that is why their reaction might be greater than the pope's action.Similarly is the case of lebanon and Isreal, kidnapping a soldier is not equivalent to bombardment of a whole natio.
If christians deem it fit that any cartoon/utterance/action against christianiaty is worth it and they will turn their other cheek for more for the sake of peace, FINE. And if muslim feel order-wise,its their cup of tea, its OK! We should all be conscious of our actions cause there will always be a reaction.Thats why i spoke more here to the christians.All there is to it is to know ourselves ,communicate better and co-exist peacfully.

Well said Vanariso.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Backslider(m): 5:11pm On Sep 26, 2006
@VANARISO

I can not speak eloquently at Terror for it to go away

But You said
vanariso:

U re stereotyping and all your ascertions are without statistical backings and tantamount to voids.
If u say ISLAM=TERROR (astagfurulahi),Then u re saying about 60% of the world human populace are terrorist.Cant u see u re wrong.Every rational being can deduce u re wrong.Please get knowledgeable about Islam before u speak. Its a peaceful & honest way of comparative religion dialogue.

This Quote are from The Quran

3:151
We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they set up with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and their abode is the fire, and evil is the abode of the unjust.

8:60
And prepare against them what force you can and horses tied at the frontier, to terrorize thereby the enemy of Allah,

8:12
I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Moreover Allah says of those who reject him. Because, Allah has already sentenced them to death.

SO JUST FINISH THEM OFF!

LOOK at the one against unbelievers

Unbelievers
2:191, And slay them wherever ye catch them

2:193, And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression

2:216, Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you

3:28, Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah

4:48 “Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.”

4:84, Then fight in Allah’s cause - Thou art held responsible only for thyself - and rouse the believers. It may be that Allah will restrain the fury of the Unbelievers; for Allah is the strongest in might and in punishment.

4:141, And never will Allah grant to the unbelievers a way (to triumphs) over the believers

5:33, The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

8:12, I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them

8:15-16, O ye who believe! when ye meet the Unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them. If any do turn his back to them on such a day - unless it be in a stratagem of war, or to retreat to a troop (of his own)- he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell,- an evil refuge (indeed)!

8:17, It is not ye who slew them; it was Allah: when thou threwest (a handful of dust), it was not thy act, but Allah’s: in order that He might test the Believers by a gracious trial from Himself

8:60, Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.

8:65, O Prophet! rouse the Believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, they will vanquish a thousand of the Unbelievers

9:5, But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem.

9:3, And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger, to the people (assembled) on the day of the Great Pilgrimage,- that Allah and His Messenger dissolve (treaty) obligations with the Pagans. If then, ye repent, it were best for you; but if ye turn away, know ye that ye cannot frustrate Allah. And proclaim a grievous penalty to those who reject Faith.

9:14, Fight them, and Allah will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame, help you (to victory) over them, heal the breasts of Believers,

9:23, O ye who believe! take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love infidelity above Faith: if any of you do so, they do wrong.

9:28, O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque.

9:29, Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

9:39, Unless ye go forth, (for Jihad) He will punish you with a grievous penalty, and put others in your place; but Him ye would not harm in the least.

9:73, O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge indeed.

9:111, Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur’an

9:123, O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you: and know that Allah is with those who fear Him.

22:9, (Disdainfully) bending his side, in order to lead (men) astray from the Path of Allah: for him there is disgrace in this life, and on the Day of Judgment We shall make him taste the Penalty of burning (Fire).

22:19-22; These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord),- for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water. With it will be scalded what is within their bodies, as well as (their) skins. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them. Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), “Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!”

25:52, So obey not the disbelievers, but strive against them herewith with a great endeavour.

25:68 ”Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. “(But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy,-

37:22-23, “Bring ye up”, it shall be said, “The wrong-doers and their wives, and the things they worshipped- Besides Allah, and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce) Fire!

47:4, Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens.

48:13 And if any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared, for those who reject Allah, a Blazing Fire!

48:29, Muhammad is the messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 26, 2006
@ backslider,he was hoping you never saw those passages in the noble koran.
nice try vanariso.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by ishmael(m): 6:44pm On Sep 26, 2006
And yet they say Islam means "peace". what an irony. Peace, why all the cut hands an legs kill and beheading?? Make we hear word jo. Those guys are just like anyother cult you can think of, but they are extremist!!
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by olutomiwa(m): 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2006
dis moslem pple self,dey too do,every small thing na fight, haba,na only una dey serve dis God?the Pope has SPOKEN,so everybody should SHUT THEIR TRAPS.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by nilla(f): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2006
hmm.

And the pope is? God?
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by twinstaiye(m): 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2006
@Backslider
All the verses you quoted above are quoted out of context. There should be a preceeding sentences before those verses that qualify what you quoted. Muslim like me had always insisted that Islam does not allow the killing of any man, except for justice, in defence or for a just cause.
Justice is when someone has wronged another or the government. Then there must be punishment/retribution/purification. If the Muslim government finds there is extensive good in killing someone for the greater good of society, then this a just cause. Just cause requires a government, and extensive deliberation. It is not an easy principle to apply, nor one used very often.
So going by your logic, can we then say that all the countries of the world that has death sentence on their laws are all terrorists? For any law to allow killing of another person, it got to be on just cause, for justice or better still defence.
@Olutomiwa
The POPE had since apologised for his unguarded uterances.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by vanariso(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2006
9:111, Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur’an.

PLS DO NOTE ………THE LAW=TORAH…BOOK OF MOSES
THE GOPES= BIBLE

On Pope Benedict XVI’s Comment

His Holiness, pope Benedict XVI, recently in Regensburg, quoted from a debate believed to have occured in 1391 between the medieval Byzantine emperor Manuel II Palaiologos and a Persian Muslim scholar in which the Emperor stated "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." Although the Vatican has made several desperate media ‘damage control’ efforts and explained that pope’s offensive jibe was only intended "to cultivate an attitude of respect and dialogue toward the other religions and cultures, and obviously also towards Islam.", it is not a strange contradiction that the exact opposite has been achieved. In the light of what the Qur’an teaches and Muhammad’s recorded statements and actions, it is hard to see how the pope, who is reputedly scholarly, and his spin doctors, expected that his statement could ever bring about the "cultivation of an attitude of respect and dialogue." It also reduces to ridicule all the previous serious efforts by the last pope who called for and attained giant strides in creating inter-faith dialogue for the benefits of people around the world?

Contrary to the pope’s statement and the source from which he so freely quoted, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) lived and preached: “Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error. Whoever rejects false worship and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 256]

This article on pope’s derisive sermon is therefore important for at least two reasons. Firstly Manuel’s comment must be placed within the historical context of the time in which he lived as well as the circumstances that brought about the comment. Manuel II Palaiologos belonged to the 16th dynasy of Byzantine rulers. The first Byzantine emperor was Constantine the Great who– on becoming a Christian – made Christianity the official state religion or legalized religion (religio licita) via the Edict of Milan in 313. He also convened and headed the Council of Nicaea – where every non Christian was anathemathized forever. Manuel II Palaiologos’ dynasty’s reign was ended by Muslim Ottoman Mehmed II in 1453 – the first such occurrence in history and Byzantine Empire undertook to pay tribute to the Muslim sultan. For that the Ottoman empire was eventually destroyed. Although both the pope and his spin doctors have maintained that the remark was made to prompt dialogue among religions, yet, the author of the book “A Debate with a Muslim”, Adel-Theodore Khoury, from which the pope directly extracted his quotation said that these expressions were "an obstacle against dialogue." This book deals with an antagonistic debate held in Ankara in the winter of 1391 between the Byzantine Emperor and an Islamic cleric who is claimed to be Haci Bayram-I Veli, on the topic of which religion between Christianity and Islam is more rational. One therefore wonders why pope extracted his quotation from a book that deals with a hostile debate between a Christian and a Muslim to prompt what he calls ‘attitude of respect and dialogue towards Islam’ and also why specifically from chapter seven of the book which contains explicit parts that are against Islam. Further, he used the expressions out of context and deliberately left out the final part of the chapter in the book which contains the Muslim scholar’s response to the offensive remark. The response given by the Muslim scholar to Manuel’s charge was that Muslims believed in Jesus and Moses; however, the religions brought by these prophets were distorted later on, showing that the actual irrationality was in Manuel's belief rather than in pristine Christianity.

Secondly, since this unfortunate episode refers to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and the Islamic concept of Jihad, the pope needs to explain or justify the inconsistencies and violence found in Biblical books like the Old Testament's Deuteronomy, a book that is holy to both Jews and Christians. Also, at least one of the Fathers of the Catholic Church which the pope heads– Aurelius Augustinus (St. Augustine) – relied on scriptural precepts to advance the principle of bellum iustum (justification for war). This was made easy for him because the Bible is replete with stories of war and conquest.

For instance, the Holy Father should tell us if he believes in: Deut. 7:16, "You shall destroy all the peoples , showing them no pity." Deut. 20:12, ", All the people present there shall serve you as forced labour." Deut. 20:14-15 and 17, ", You shall put all its males to the sword. You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, the livestock, and everything in the town -- all its spoil -- and enjoy the use of the spoil of your enemy which the Lord your God gives you , You shall not let a soul remain alive."

The pope should further enlighten students and faithful about the following ideas: In Leviticus 1:9, about "burning a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, if it could still create a pleasing odor for the Lord," or in Exodus 21:7 which describes selling one’s daughters into slavery. Lev. 25:44 states that the faithful may possess slaves purchased from neighboring nations. Ex. 35:2 states that anyone who works on the Sabbath (Jewish Shabbat) should be put to death. Should these biblical quotations be literally accepted as sanctions for the practices? Or should today’s Muslims rely on quotations from 14th century Muslim scholars and monarchs only to define Christianity and its teachings? Why did the pope, who is considered infallible in Catholic theology, select this particular inaccurate quotation to describe the Prophet of Islam? Perhaps the practical and humbling lesson here is that we should not justify religious arguments through isolated quotations, whether scriptural or not.

The pope needs not apologize to Muslims for showing us what he feels and for bringing to the forefront the same ideology of hate and hostility decades after it was first formulated by the emperor. Rather he should be thanked for falling short of calling for another Crusade against the Muslims like some of his predecessors did and pitied for falling captive of his own judgment and doctrines. The befitting response to the pope’s divisive remarks should be increased dialogue and outreach efforts aimed at nurturing better relations among the three monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam. This crisis has clearly shown that the pope is indeed fallible and it offers every good people of the three monotheistic religions in the world the worthy challenge to teach respect and tolerance, and learn how to dialogue in a 21st-century world in order to alienate the extremists amongst us.

Disu O. Kamor
Director of Media & Communications
Muslim Public Affairs Centre, MPAC, Nigeria.

e-mail: kamor.disu@mpac-ng.org
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by ccog(m): 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2006
let the Pope be. He has not said anything wrong. so keep calm
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 27, 2006
@ Vanariso,

That is one disadvantage of cut and paste, you dont even stop to think about the incredulity of some puerile material produced by an equally intellectually bereft individual desperate to pursue his own selfish and invalid concepts!

Now you say:

Contrary to the pope’s statement and the source from which he so freely quoted, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) lived and preached: “Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error. Whoever rejects false worship and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 256]
Was not this the stand of the "prophet" when Islam was still new, had few followers and was being viewed with skepticism by those around? Was the it not the same prophet that came up with the numerous verses that advocate killing those who convert from Islam and those who are unbelievers?
The above verse you quote is irrelevant in the light of the multitude that call for killing as a religious duty of the muslim! What of those who now compel journalists to convert to Islam at gunpoint? Did they forget the above mentioned verse?

Secondly, since this unfortunate episode refers to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and the Islamic concept of Jihad, the pope needs to explain or justify the inconsistencies and violence found in Biblical books like the Old Testament's Deuteronomy, a book that is holy to both Jews and Christians.

1. The pope (even though i consider him no christian!) has no need to explain to perenially blood thirsty barbarians about the "violence" in the bible!
2. Deuteronomy as is most of the laws in the old testament where given directly to the JEWS ONLY and have no relevance to the salvation of the modern day christian. If not why dont christians too celebrate the passover, and the numerous feasts also included in Deuteronomy? The "violence" mentioned in deuteronomy pertain to a period in history when war was NOT a sole preserve of an individual religion and do not apply to the modern day christian!

For instance, the Holy Father should tell us if he believes in: Deut. 7:16, "You shall destroy all the peoples , showing them no pity." Deut. 20:12, ", All the people present there shall serve you as forced labour." Deut. 20:14-15 and 17, ", You shall put all its males to the sword. You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, the livestock, and everything in the town -- all its spoil -- and enjoy the use of the spoil of your enemy which the Lord your God gives you , You shall not let a soul remain alive."
1. These where laws specifically given to the jews that refer to specific wars during a specific time period! Pls read those verses in context, they are not general "destroy all peoples, " commandments, it is not different from the wars fought by numerous nations over the centuries! Such quotes have no relevance to modern day christianity!
Islam on the other hand includes commands as a religous duty the slaughter of infidels and apes up till the present!

The pope needs not apologize to Muslims for showing us what he feels and for bringing to the forefront the same ideology of hate and hostility decades after it was first formulated by the emperor.
The pope needs not appologize for speaking the truth we already know albeit politically incorrect to say so. The radical elements in Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Iran, Yemen have done more to bring to the forefront the ideology of hate and hostility than any statement the pope can ever make. Besides the emperor did not "formulate" the ideology, one only needs to read the history of one renegade thug called Mohammed to see where it all began!

The befitting response to the pope’s divisive remarks should be increased dialogue and outreach efforts aimed at nurturing better relations among the three monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam
An attempt to lump christianity with Islam as simply "one of the three monotheistic religions" is complete nonsense! Monotheism on its own is not a direct ticket to heaven! While "moderate" muslims are quick to regard Islam as similar to christianity and judaism in terms of "monotheism", they forget there is a very wide gulf between Islam and christianity that can never be breached. Islam is a cult founded on fraud, plagiarism, violence and intolerance! Monotheism alone cannot justify it!

This crisis has clearly shown that the pope is indeed fallible and it offers every good people of the three monotheistic religions in the world the worthy challenge to teach respect and tolerance, and learn how to dialogue in a 21st-century world in order to alienate the extremists amongst us.

Points of correction:
1. There are NO extremists in christianity, no christian goes around suicide bombing others in the name of God, such evil remains the exclusive preserve of Islam. Simply trying desperately to prove that christianity also has extremists in order to hide the barbarity of Islam is laughable!
2. No where in the Quran is respect, tolerance and dialogue preached. "Moderate" muslims who try to espouse this view are the ones that are ignorant and need to study their quran!
3. This was no crisis, this was simply an opportunity to expose those whose main religious duty is to kill, maim and plunder!
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by belloti(m): 11:36am On Sep 28, 2006
The pope was wrong and he dare not say that again. And i believe he cant
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Aggressa(m): 1:28pm On Sep 28, 2006
belloti:

The pope was wrong and he dare not say that again. And i believe he can't

Because if he dare say that again, muslims will pass a fatwah on him, kill him by beheading him; and so they will let the world know that Islam is a peaceful religion(my foot) grin
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by nilla(f): 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2006
I don't know what you all are ranting about.

The pope was wrong, and thats the end of the story.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by ishmael(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2006
Fanatics, Pope (May He be Blessed) was never wrong. What about all the nonsense and negative things you people have been saying publicly about christians and christianity nko?? What do we do to you people?? Apply Moses's law to you people abi??
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 28, 2006
belloti:

The pope was wrong and he dare not say that again. And i believe he can't

Of course how can he, in our politically correct world where some "pious" presidents are already calling for a worldwide ban on the "defamation" of Islam?

How can he dare say that again when he knows there are hoodlums, "moderates" and "extremists" waiting to slaughter his nuns, conquer Europe and wage their Jihad in order to prove that Islam is all about peace!

What a tragedy!
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Christino(m): 2:47pm On Sep 28, 2006
I laughed my ass off after reading Vanariso's post.

The Old Testament remains a solid part of the bible, the origin of Christianity.

Before Adam, Jesus was and his transition is visible throughout the Bible.

The Israelites are the chosen generation - God's own people, but come to think of it, The Europeans, (catholics, methodists, anglicans and baptists) brought Christianity to Africa and other parts of the world, and not Paul, Peter and Co who were israelites. NEVER i repeat, NEVER has christianity been spread by the sword unless by human distortion as seen in the Crusades of the Teutons.

If Peter was killed for spreading the gospel of Jesus who was also nailed to the cross without trying to defend himself. All his followers were MURDERED!!! in cold blood. Peter (though not in the bible) was nailed to the cross "upside down" others followed suit and only JAMES, who wrote the book of revelation, was left to die alone on the island of Patmos - These guys were MATYRS, they were not rich, they did not do it for selfish reasons, they reached out to people and when humanity tried to wipe them out, like their master, they did not put up a fight.

Their reward was a place in the heavenly homes, not 70 virgins - no SEX or MARRIAGE in heaven but that of the LAMB!

If the catholics decide to spread the religion by force, remember that never in the bible has God asked that the religion be spread by killing people. The israelites fought diplomatic wars and not holy wars. They did not go to nations to preach about God. They were God's chosen and sometimes God fought for them as in the case of Joshua, Gideon and Samson. - Pick a Bible up and read and stop quoting deuteronomy which you just heard of sometime last week.

And then to top it all, like most of God's prophets, Jesus had NO wife, no home, no means of transportation and his job was to deliver God's message. Isaiah, Elijah and John lived the exemplary, holy and humble life. No prophet in the bible was RICH with WIVES and stuffs like that.

If I was an atheist by birth, I prolly would be an atheist today because the Holy books will confuse you by the time you read the Koran and the Bible but I would argue that there was some bit of Divinity in one - humanity cannot explain divinity but you know it's not ordinary. Find out for yourself!

DIVINITY is peaceful by Default grin God does not delight in the death of the wicked but calls for total repentance of such, that was why he kept on sending us prophet.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 28, 2006
yeah bellotti,he dare not say it again because Islam is a 'peaceful' religion.
(In our dreams)
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by ishmael(m): 6:49pm On Sep 28, 2006
infact babyosisi you are right; The Popedare not say a thing like that again because of christians living in the north. grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by alexis(m): 10:33pm On Sep 28, 2006
I saw this on youtube, please take a look at it and give your views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h43nPMvo69c
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by alexis(m): 10:41pm On Sep 28, 2006
and this one as well, it's a real eye opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9zzD0QLks
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2006
I would like one of the muslims to watch that first piece and tell us something we don't already know.

The lady Wafa Sultan,I hope to meet with her someday in person God willing.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by alexis(m): 2:42am On Sep 29, 2006
A spirited debate amongst muslims about women rights in Brahain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVsmt41aLxE
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by alexis(m): 3:27am On Sep 29, 2006
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by Uche2nna(m): 3:53am On Sep 29, 2006
Really I do not know wat kind of teachings the muslims learn in the mosques.They always look for some flimsy excuses to start a jihad.I lived in the north(Kano to be precise) for 10 years and I have never seen a bunch of pugnacious fanatics all my life.Yet they claim Islam is a peaceful religion.Honestly,it is either they have a different concept of peace or they are downright ignorant.Most of them like Olabowale claim that they do not support violence nor does Islam yet you see all these almajiris who are the students of Imam take to the street wheneva there is a slightest reason to do so.Moreover while I was in Kano,I found a specific pattern.Almost,if not all,religious uprising starts on Fridays immediately after thier mosque session.There must be a correlation bw wat is said by the Imams and the uprisings.So is either that Mohammed teachings are not wat these muslims are making us to believe or they have really digressed big time from those teachings.This is really a serious issue.The world have survived two world wars but I doubt if we will survive a third if it took a religious connotation and our muslim brothers are trying so hard to make sure that happens.
Leave the Pope alone.He said wat everybody knows as common knowledge!
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by belloti(m): 10:53am On Sep 29, 2006
My advice is that stop making provocative statements. By doing that you are in a way encouraging violence. we do have a lot of nice things to say to ourselves, why being so negative? Intelligent people are talking about global warming, stem cell research, space tourism, and champions league, why do we spend so much time inciting violence. Dont give the almajiris reasons to go on rampage, they may probably use that energy for some productive ventures.
Re: Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims by carmelily: 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2006
i wonder why u guys bother your heads. the pope belongs to a sect which doesn't condemn alcohol. who can vouch for his sobriety when he made such an irresponsible statement?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

If The Bible Is A Fairy-Tale, Then Why Is It Banned In At Least 52 Countries? / Terrified By Bats: Please Advice Me / Which is the Best Posture to take when we worship God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.