Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team (3897 Views)

Akeredolu’s Take-over: Intrigues As Six Jostle For Ondo Speakership. / Drama and Intrigues As Ayo Fayose Ran Into Fayemi, Others At A Funeral (Pix) / Buhari Picks Obasanjo As 'Envoy' To Guinea-Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by talentarena(m): 10:52am On Jun 07, 2015
The wait for President Muhammadu Buhari’s cabinet appears to be throwing up a lot of intrigues and suspense among party stakeholders Chibuzo Ukaibe writes.

President Muhammadu Buhari bears a burden of change. For an experienced administrator who understands that the buck stops at his desk, picking a team would be tasking as it would require a detailed introspection.

As it stands, he has made it clear that he intends to make a total departure from the status-quo in selecting his cabinet- he wants to pick his team by himself.

He, perhaps, is mindful of the notion that the character of his cabinet will signpost how his government will be regarded.

What’s more? Having ran a far-reaching campaign, raising public expectations to an all-time high in run for the presidential office, it is quite instructive that his ministers are not just the best the country can offer, but must be answerable to him alone as their boss.

Beside his plans to have a smaller cabinet in line with constitutional provisions on the selection process, Buhari had questioned the logic behind why governors or anybody would tend to determine his cabinet, which naturally should be answerable to him.

In a recent interview, Buhari, when asked if he had outlined his cabinet and identified those he wants to work with said, “I am not just speaking about it, I have not put anything on paper, so nobody has seen it and I haven’t discussed it with anybody. I am just keeping it close to my chest”.

On further questioning on the outline, he noted, “I have been around long enough to know people that I can approach for things like that”.

For the better part of the 16 years, of the democracy, albeit under Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), it was for the governors of the party and some other influential members of the party that make recommendations or nominate persons they deem fit for ministerial positions.

This practice, in Nigeria’s presidential system, which could be explained as an act towards inclusiveness was, however, usually indicative of political patronage or deferment to strong political actors for their roles in securing victory for the party at the elections.

In turn, the governors or political leaders would nominate party members or cronies as sign of compensation for loyalty or to firm up their political base.

Often, political considerations tended to take prominence over competence in the selection of ministers, it would seem.

To this much, Buhari said, “Well, I am an ardent listener of the Hausa Service of the Voice of America (VOA) and the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) from 6 to 7am every day. I am going to quote myself because I heard in one of the interviews where I said the type of people I am supposed to appoint in the cabinet, the secretary to the government of the federation and service chiefs will be different from how the PDP appointed its own. Definitely, the system is going to be different from what we had under the PDP, where governors nominated ministers”.

Last week, he forwarded names of his advisers to the National Assembly to be cleared. Also, he has appointed his media team. It is yet to be known how much political influence came to bear in the selection of his aides.

However, while the times are different and casting away this practice may be daring, whether or not it is politically correct is another matter.

Already, analysts are wondering whether this move will go down well with the governors and other stakeholders of the party, who would feel shut out or slighted by the president’s decision.

Read More:

http://talentarenaafrica.com/2015/06/07/breaking-intrigues-as-buhari-picks-his-team/
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by amichaelz101(m): 10:53am On Jun 07, 2015
Observing
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by dhorlipizzu(m): 11:03am On Jun 07, 2015
Issorait
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by Emphany: 12:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
Space booked
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
His choices will define d direction of dis country I hope he makes d rite choices I still don believe in his "change"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by docsholz(m): 12:29pm On Jun 07, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
His choices will define d direction of dis country
I hope he makes d rite choices
I still don believe in his "change"
dey deceive yourself, his choices will only please you if they're Igbo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 07, 2015
I Careless about what region they're from, I'm most interested in their age grade and records...old recycled leaders with lil or no innovation and celebrating medioCrity is a no no For me.

It's worst when they're pot bellied angry

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by holytribe(m): 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2015
Am following this development.
Sai baba
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by eazisky(m): 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
what do u expect?

if he likes, he should appoint all his family members, if it will better Nigeria so be it

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by softmind24: 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by jikjimmy2: 1:46pm On Jun 07, 2015
Our 'Compound clueless' President

2 Likes

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by jikjimmy2: 1:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
If GEJ is clueless,then PMB is cluelessness raised to the power of 2.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by vedaxcool(m): 2:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
Buhari departure from the way pdp selects its own ministers indicates an emphasis on development rather than politic, this shows change towards a more positive form of governace.
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by Abayhormy(m): 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
Carry on Buhari. The majority love you and are behind you. It can only be better than the immediate past regime. Before I start criticizing you, I give you a year and 6 months of critical and close observation. The Otuoke "Hero" got more time than that from me and majority.
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by sammyj: 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by moredolu(m): 2:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
all i care for is good governance whereby masses will feel the change and not some selected individuals only.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by Lorderec(m): 3:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
[color=#770077][/color] we are still looking....
Re: Breaking: Intrigues As Buhari Picks His Team by HisSexcellency(m): 4:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
let's keep watching... there has been much talking and less actions lately

(1) (Reply)

Anytime I Pass Through Ilorin - Jebba Road. I Curse PDP 16yrs( Pics ) / Senseless Killings and Maimings- The Hypocrisy Of The South (Graphic Pics) / Igbo Hatred for Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.