Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. (1830 Views)

One man, One wife / How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? / WONDERS: Man Adopted Wife's SURNAME After Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by ranson(m): 4:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
I know it is culturally unthinkable in Africa and most culture around the world for man to adopt his wife's surname after marriage. Though, we have seen merger of names in Nigeria, especially where the wife had a surname that rings bell in the society, she combine her husband's surname with that of hers.
However, in this modern time, if one decides to negate the cultural beliefs and then decided to adopt his wife's surname for some reasons best known to him, what could be the legal implications? Let's discuss practically.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Wealthyone: 4:54pm On Jun 07, 2015
This can never happen in Africa especially in a country like Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by bellong: 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
What legal implication?

Nothing apart from swearing affidavit of change of name for the attention of necessary authorities .
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
This is funny.
Anyways, whether wife or husband name, I choose to retain my own surname rather than take someone else's own
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 5:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
qbd2:
This is funny.
Anyways, whether wife or husband name, I choose to retain my own surname rather than take someone else's own
the two shall join together and shall become one! One love, one body, one family, one surname, one church...
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by missKiffy(f): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
Why on earth would you want to adopt your wife's surname
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
the two shall join together and shall become one! One love, one body, one family, one surname, one church...
Ur theory. Btw, @ one body- no two matter can occupy the same space.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 5:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
qbd2:

Ur theory. Btw, @ one body- no two matter can occupy the same space.
chai.. My sister, its well wit ur brain.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by knightsTempler: 5:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
bellong:
What legal implication?

Nothing apart from swearing affidavit of change of name for the attention of necessary authorities .

More like it.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Tallesty1(m): 5:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
Nigerians will think you are the wife...................
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by cococandy(f): 5:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
Legal implications Ke?

There's none.
Only the inconvenience.
Some of their protocols are just unnecessarily too long.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by lilmax(m): 6:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Madness at last
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by juman(m): 7:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
grin grin
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by snakebeat: 8:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
Wealthyone:
This can never happen in Africa especially in a country like Nigeria.
Why do u think it can't happen? smiley
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Moana(f): 9:08pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
so how does the surname affect 2 becoming one. There are many women who keep their surname especially those that have a customary marriage and not a civil one, does it mean they haven't become one with their husband?
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
Moana:
so how does the surname affect 2 becoming one. There are many women who keep their surname especially those that have a customary marriage and not a civil one, does it mean they haven't become one with their husband?
yea its because they ddnt wed in the church. i cant marry a woman who will still keep her surname. if she doesnt wana drop it den their is no marriage.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Moana(f): 9:20pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
yea its because they ddnt wed in the church. i cant marry a woman who will still keep her surname. if she doesnt wana drop it den their is no marriage.
you didn't answer me, so does mean that they have not become one simply because they became husband and wife by way of a traditional/customary marriage?
Last time I checked a customary marriage still creates the same union whether there is a change of surname or not
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 9:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
Moana:
you didn't answer me, so does mean that they have not become one simply because they became husband and wife by way of a traditional/customary marriage?
Last time I checked a customary marriage still creates the same union whether there is a change of surname or not
alryt leme giv u my opinion on that. that is their business.. am speaking for myself only. i wont condone such, if u cant answer my surname, den u berra go get married to your father! period
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Moana(f): 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
alryt leme giv u my opinion on that. that is their business.. am speaking for myself only. i wont condone such, if u cant answer my surname, den u berra go get married to your father! period
still not answering the question
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 9:29pm On Jun 07, 2015
Moana:
still not answering the question
alright please re-iterate your question again.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Moana(f): 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
alright please re-iterate your question again.
so those who get married according to African traditions don't become one because the wife doesn't change her surname? To me it sounds like you are implying that customary marriage doesn't count for anything (since the woman doesn't change her surname) rather a westernised idea of marriage does cheesy
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 9:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
Moana:
so those who get married according to African traditions don't become one because the wife doesn't change her surname? To me it sounds like you are implying that customary marriage doesn't count for anything (since the woman doesn't change her surname) rather a westernised idea of marriage does cheesy
lool she has changed it from court marraige to traditional marriage. alright. trick question. now leme answer u straight up

lets look bak at the days of old. i want to believ our ancestors got married by traditional means befor the advent of white marriage. the brides did change their surnames to that of their husbands.. do u want to doubt that too? wink

i imply that customary marriage counts alot..thats why its customary, something from the roots.. its very necessary but not cumpolsory.

its just that things have change alot through the ages and certain trends have sprang up. wives no longer answer their husband surnames due to what we call pre-nuptial agreement. i wonder where dat emanated from tho.. i think it makes marriage look more like a contract instead of a bond.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Moana(f): 10:00pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
lool she has changed it from court marraige to traditional marriage. alright. trick question. now leme answer u straight up
I said customary marriage which is a traditional marriage, I never mentioned any court wedding.

lets look bak at the days of old. i want to believ our ancestors got married by traditional means befor the advent of white marriage. the brides did change their surnames to that of their husbands.. do u want to doubt that too? wink
you already said they don't before now you want to claim that they do? cheesy

i imply that customary marriage counts alot..thats why its customary, something from the roots.. its very necessary but not cumpolsory. [ /quote] cheesy but a western idea of marriage is compulsory to you?

[quote] its just that things have change alot through the ages and certain trends have sprang up. wives no longer answer their husband surnames due to what we call pre-nuptial agreement. i wonder where dat emanated from tho.. i think it makes marriage look more like a contract instead of a bond.
this is incorrect a woman married without a pre-nup can still keep her surname, changing a surname is a choice it has nothing to do with marrying in community of property or out of community of property(inclusive of a prenup)
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Cutehector(m): 10:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Moana:
I said customary marriage which is a traditional marriage, I never mentioned any court wedding.

you already said they don't before now you want to claim that they do? cheesy

i imply that customary marriage counts alot..thats why its customary, something from the roots.. its very necessary but not cumpolsory.

its just that things have change alot through the ages and certain trends have sprang up. wives no longer answer their husband surnames due to what we call pre-nuptial agreement. i wonder where dat emanated from tho.. i think it makes marriage look more like a contract instead of a bond.
lol moana leav me alone jor grin. u can argue too much..alright u win...
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by tpiah01: 6:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
None that I know of.
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
There are actually no legal implications of adopting a wife's surname...or even a husband's.

The surname change is a cultural thing, if has no tint of legality or otherwise in it. This is the reason why after divorce, one cannot force an ex-husband, or ex-wife to 'give' them back their surname.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by tpiah01: 7:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
Re: What Is The Legal Implications Of Adopting One's Wife's Surname. by ify84(m): 9:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
Except they have used juju on the man, if not, no sane man will answer wify surname.....

(1) (Reply)

Dear Cynthia, How Can I Get A Relative To Leave My House Peacefully.. / Can You Stop A Man From Cheating? / How I Fell Into The Trap Of Dating A Married Man. Need Advice...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.