Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church (60312 Views)

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices / Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do / Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by ZARCCK(m): 11:13pm On Jun 14, 2015
Amen.....May God help us nd revive our church in jesus na me

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Octaves(m): 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2015
Lol. Ladies cant shake their bum bum to the glory of God any more..
Sings....shake that booty that Jesus gave you. Shake that booty in the name of the lord
netizenbuzz:

So what are you saying now? It is a sin to go on excursions? Common camp meeting sef, there is still sexual immorality. How is it the church's fault what two individuals decided to with themselves. I agree with some of your points but me thinks you are too close minded. And you just had to use another opportunity to bash ladies sha. Have you actually seen anybody twerking in church? It takes 2 people to twerk. What you see are ladies shaking their bum bum which is african in culture. Whose fault is that?

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
Jagoon:
Collecting of monetary tithes is also unbiblical. angry
It isn't unbiblical. It is stated in the bible that 10% of all your earnings belong to God ( tithes). What is unbiblical is forcing people to do it. God has given everyone a choice; to do or not to do, to be or not to be. The best thing is to tell people the benefits of giving to God and let them maake their choic instead of forcing them

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coldfeet(f): 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
Octaves:
Dude is a catholic. And he is talking about his church (the only one he knows about). Was there any part where he said the catholic church is better than others. I dont even get your point. Why not give us ur opinion on the op's post
Didn't read yours too. My opinion is based on the fact that I am firstly and most importantly a Christian!!!! Not Catholic, Pentecost,Protestant or Babtist. read thru all of his post and you'd see why I qouted him on singling out Catholics.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by tomzman: 11:26pm On Jun 14, 2015
OP, while i agree with some of your points, on the larger scale, I'll conclude you lack understanding. When you read scripture, don't just extract doctrines from it and cram them in your head, seek to understand it and how it applies in a similar scenario today.

I won't go ahead to debate with you, I don't have time for that but I'll touch on a few of your points. For example, what's wrong with a church organising excursions or camps? The concern should be the purpose of such an event. You said some people commit immorality at such events, agreed but immoralities occur in the choir as well as other groups in church. Should we now say the church should no longer have choristers because of that? You see where understanding comes in now?

You also talk about music and here I ask you, what makes a song, the genre or the message you get from the song? You now see the importance of understanding over rules or doctrines?

See, a little advice for you, before you condemn a thing, seek to know it's purpose or the reason behind it. This would help you not only in your spiritual life but also in your day-to-day living. Read your Bible with the help of the Holy spirit, invest in books and devotionals that would improve your understanding of the word. Even the Bible underscores the value of understanding. "...and in all thy getting, get understanding" (remember that scripture?)

2 Likes

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coldfeet(f): 11:29pm On Jun 14, 2015
salykely:
Alhamdulillah I am a Muslim.
هو الذي ارسل رسوله بالهدي ودين الحق ليظهره علي الدين كله و كفي بالله شهيدا

It is He who has sent his Apostle with the guidance and the true faith, so that He may exalt it over every other creed. God is sufficient as a witness.
Quran 48:28
Alhamdulilah indeed that you don't have to swear to accept Christianity before you post on a Christian topic. Halleluia I have and give freedom to all to make and say what they like about me as a Christian.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Octaves(m): 11:30pm On Jun 14, 2015
I think he does that because he doesnt know about other churches and cant speak for them.
It depends on how u perceive his posts. To each, their own.
Coldfeet:
Didn't read yours too. My opinion is based on the fact that I am firstly and most importantly a Christian!!!! Not Catholic, Pentecost,Protestant or Babtist. read thru all of his post and you'd see why I qouted him on singling out Catholics.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coldfeet(f): 11:34pm On Jun 14, 2015
iliyande:

Not trash, but the truth
What is truth? That he called someone a deeeper life trash?

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by iliyande(m): 11:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
tomzman:
OP, while i agree with some of your points, on the larger scale, I'll conclude you lack understanding. When you read scripture, don't just extract doctrines from it and cram them in your head, seek to understand it and how it applies in a similar scenario today.

I won't go ahead to debate with you, I don't have time for that but I'll touch on a few of your points. For example, what's wrong with a[b] church organising excursions [/b]or camps? The concern should be the purpose of such an event. You said some people commit immorality at such events, agreed but immoralities occur in the choir as well as other groups in church. Should we now say the church should no longer have choristers because of that? You see where understanding comes in now?

You also talk about music and here I ask you, what makes a song, the genre or the message you get from the song? You now see the importance of understanding over rules or doctrines?

See, a little advice for you, before you condemn a thing, seek to know it's purpose or the reason behind it. This would help you not only in your spiritual life but also in your day-to-day living. Read your Bible with the help of the Holy spirit, invest in books and devotionals that would improve your understanding of the word. Even the Bible underscores the value of understanding. "...and in all thy getting, get understanding" (remember that scripture?)

At bolded , brother may I ask you, what is excursion? It is unbibilical. Instead it should be substituted with evangelism which is the mean reason of Christianity. Remember Jesus spent his entire life on earth evangelizing, not going on excursion. Churches have more than enough work to do instead of westing so much time and human resources on earthly things while souls are westing away.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by iliyande(m): 11:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
Coldfeet:
What is truth? That he called someone a deeeper life trash?
Not really, iam in your support ma
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by GRENDO13: 11:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
all nice except 7 & 9. sporting events hv brought ppl together for centuries, it promotes love and brotherliness. and sigh seeing is also an awesome way to bond
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Ola64(m): 11:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
grin
Swegzfreak:
Na holy cane we go need... Pankere mimo

grin grin grin
Swegzfreak:
Na holy cane we go need... Pankere mimo
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coldfeet(f): 11:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
Octaves:
I think he does that because he doesnt know about other churches and cant speak for them.
It depends on how u perceive his posts. To each, their own.
Which was why I asked him to speak for his parish! Hr knows what happens in Saint John but does he know what Saint Theresa does in their excursions?(both parish mentioned are only for explanatory purposes only).the op did not mention any denomination in his writeup but brize was the first poster to name names by saying catholic churches don't do this or that. Most of what the op wrote don't happen where I worship but as a Christian I absorbed the whole labeling because some churches are indeed guilty of some if not all of what the op stated! We Christians are siblings belonging to same parent, the earlier we accept this and stop creating unnecessary division by claiming my "church" is better or holier than yours the better it will serve for our purpose here on earth in winning souls for Gods kingdom shalom.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by BlaqJew: 11:55pm On Jun 14, 2015
Gombs:

lies.

You'd not understand reasons some churches do what they do.

Tithe should be encouraged, not forced. Churches keeping records of your Tithe are only helping you. It's wrong however to deny brethren privileges because they do not Tithe.

You have no right to tell a church what societies should be or shouldn't. Why not pray about it?

Why not let God complain about it? Or has He spoken to you? To the pure, all things are pure... It's in your Bible.

You're really getting yourself worked up over nothing. Those called out that met the specific amount did not complain, those who didn't meet the amount didn't complain.. Why you? You don't even know what God and the pastor has spoken about before that event.

This too? shocked
So, sporting events should be decimated because two teams had a hard time playing fair? So far it does not go against the Bible, all events including arts ( are welcomed in the church... Even boxing and wrestling games.

1 Timothy 4v8 Msg
Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever.

You just exaggerated. If you'd said the church is using a public building (which is not theirs), I can understand. After services, other folks tend to use these venues.

What is wrong in organising excursions and sightseeing? Can you show me where in the Bible that is wrong?

So far they do not sing secular music in church, I do not see anything wrong in that. The church should be open to all, even the worse sinners.

The sad part of this your number ten is that a serial fornicator will be the first to want to crucify the church for inviting say Timaya who sang a wonderful worship song.

Your responses sound like they are from the pit of hell. Honestly.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by brize(m): 12:04am On Jun 15, 2015
Coldfeet:
Which was why I asked him to speak for his parish! Hr knows what happens in Saint John but does he know what Saint Theresa does in their excursions?(both parish mentioned are only for explanatory purposes only).the op did not mention any denomination in his writeup but brize was the first poster to name names by saying catholic churches don't do this or that. Most of what the op wrote don't happen where I worship but as a Christian I absorbed the whole labeling because some churches are indeed guilty of some if not all of what the op stated! We Christians are siblings belonging to same parent, the earlier we accept this and stop creating unnecessary division by claiming my "church" is better or holier than yours the better it will serve for our purpose here on earth in winning souls for Gods kingdom shalom.
i spoke about what i know and will continue to say it, and who talks about being holier here?? Well if that what you sense of reasoning tells you then, you are on your own cos you wont hear it from my mouth..... Mind you my dear that all churches are not the same..... Have it in the back of your mind........
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by glamz007(m): 12:04am On Jun 15, 2015
I Think the practise of statues n cross built in some churches should be added to this list.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Originalsly: 12:05am On Jun 15, 2015
I do agree with most of the points but totally disagree with points 7 and 9.....organizing sports/competitions and excursions/sightseeing trips. These serve as social events for the brothers and sisters to know and interact with each other... to bring a bond among those that share the same beliefs.....to increase the number of people who can help keep you from backsliding and if you do....bring you back on track. To not have social events is to set the stage for the young people to be unequally yoked. The bond formed at camps and such events are usually the longest and strongest.....don't ask me how I know!
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Octaves(m): 12:07am On Jun 15, 2015
Actually what happens in st Theresa happens in St John. Thats the catholic church for u. When i read his posts, i didnt perceive any diss to other churches. I only saw sb replying from his own perspective. He said the points that are observable in the catholic church and how excursions organised by the Catholic boys organistion have helped him. I dont see anything in that
Coldfeet:
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by brize(m): 12:10am On Jun 15, 2015
Octaves:
Actually what happens in st Theresa happens in St John. Thats the catholic church for u. When i read his posts, i didnt perceive any diss to other churches. I only saw sb replying from his own perspective. He said the points that are observable in the catholic church and how excursions organised by the Catholic boys organistion have helped him. I dont see anything in that
nna menh see me see trouble o, i dont think he knows the Catholic am talking about....... Always in Unison...... Just like you made it clearer, what happens here, happens there.......

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by 0866ma081: 12:13am On Jun 15, 2015
Rendez I dnt understand what you mean by we should get it outside a church. So church can not organise excursion again by the time they go and get it outside the church that is what will now increase them spiritually noo I dnt Agree
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by tomzman: 12:26am On Jun 15, 2015
iliyande:

At bolded , brother may I ask you, what is excursion? It is unbibilical. Instead it should be substituted with evangelism which is the mean reason of Christianity. Remember Jesus spent his entire life on earth evangelizing, not going on excursion. Churches have more than enough work to do instead of westing so much time and human resources on earthly things while souls are westing away.
I said I wasn't gonna debate on this but let me give you a little response. First of all, organising evangelism is not the only duty of the church-Yes, you read right. When Jesus gave the commandment "Go ye into the world..." he was talking to everyone of us, as well as the church. In other words evangelism is much a duty of the church as it is a personal duty of every christian. The church has other duties which includes creating an avenue for fellowship and spiritual growth of believers, making believers discover and live according to God's purpose for their lives, seeing to the welfare of believers and so on. Some churches organise programmes in fulfilment of these other duties. Now, like I said before, before you condemn a thing, seek to know its purpose. A church might organise an excursion to strengthen the bond among its members (you might not count that as anything but I tell you it is important). Also during the excursion, there might be discussion sessions where members are exposed to deep secrets of the word that might transform their lives and shape their destiny (I am talking from experience). See, the church has gone past rigidity, Christianity is not a static religion, it's dynamic. Even the evangelism you are talking about, do you know people are discovering new ways to go about it? These are things your eyes will be opened to when you allow the Holy Spirit to direct your life instead of a list of doctrines and 'dos and don'ts'.

Bro, Christianity is more than what you think. Sit down, study the word, understand it and let it reflect in your day-to-day activities. That alone is a powerful means of evangelism afterall the people that first called the disciples 'christians' saw (note the bolded) something in them before giving them that name. Shallom.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by macof(m): 12:26am On Jun 15, 2015
Op are you just getting to know that churches are business centers?
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Ayocharles(m): 12:57am On Jun 15, 2015
twoondei:
One of my patients bought a 5litre gallon of holy water for 500k from those banner wearing people as treatment for pericarditis after refusing surgery..
He died just after he finished drinking the water.
Things are bad around here
LOL....
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 15, 2015
Robots parading themselves as children of god.
Robots been told and commanded on what to do with their own freewill.
Robots keep been a robot while others are waking up taking control of their lives some are still telling me the do's and don'ts in the church.
While won't the church scam u of your hard earned money?
Why are u even complaining? Are they not for your god. Am referring to all xtians supporting what the op said.
This church life of urs is it what god actually created u to be doing? Acting like robots been remote controlled. Our fellow men are controlling u all in the name of religion and u think u r serving a real god?

U all are serving man which is a terrible sin.
Know thyself black man and woman

My siggy

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Nobody: 1:20am On Jun 15, 2015
ok.... we have heard.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by gamyy(m): 2:00am On Jun 15, 2015
@op, what kind of dance glorifies God ohhh we shud dance like David.. buh du u knw d kinda dance...anyways i feel u free to dance anyway u like as long as u not causin any one to sin n u knw for whom u dancing

also, uv bn sayin hip hop pls b specific..we av gospel hip hop wch m involvd him...love Jesus, honor him wt wateva u do..av herd pple say dy cried frm listening to gospel hip hop...singin slow song gospel(wch s same pattern wt secular RNB) s not d only way to worship God..evn me hittin a spoon against a glass n singin in pidgin can b usd to glorify God...happy monday
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by akoaki(m): 2:27am On Jun 15, 2015
twoondei:
One of my patients bought a 5litre gallon of holy water for 500k from those banner wearing people as treatment for pericarditis after refusing surgery..
He died just after he finished drinking the water.
Things are bad around here

Yes, things are bad here because ignorance is ruling the lives of our people .
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Billygee2u: 2:49am On Jun 15, 2015
Rendezvou:
There are many unscriptural activities going on in the church today which Christians pretend not to see. The more we keep silent, the worse things would become. Though we are aware that many happenings in the church today are signs of the end time, it is our duty to put things right and strive to revive the ‘old time religion.’

1. Charging Consultation Fee-
Paying certain amount of money before you can see the man of God has become a common practice in many churches nowadays. So many pastors have commercialized deliverance, salvation and spiritual counselling against the Lord’s wish- Matt 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

2. Selling Some Spiritual Items-
I’m more particular about churches selling holy water and anointing oil in plastic containers and bottles where worshippers are disallowed from bringing theirs but compelled to buy from the church. Let them buy from wherever they choose; your role is to ensure those items are blessed and sanctified.

3. Making Tithe Card Compulsory-
I have no objection to the issuance of tithe cards for those who want it. Some churches have denied
members some privileges because they do not have their tithe cards which serve as evidence to know tithe payers. I, like many others prefer paying tithes anonymously. Someone may be paying tithe regularly having his card checked and signed by the pastor and still feign being saved.

4. Setting up too many church societies-
It is unfortunate that church leaders rarely check the activities or attend meetings of these societies. Many have derailed from their essence and a lot of such church societies now run like town meetings, social groups or cooperative societies. Let us cut them to size, review their activities regularly, and ensure prioritization of spiritual events in these societies.

5. Singing and Dancing to Worldly Music-
We really need to watch it here. We listen to hip hops, Rocks etc which are trending and become tempted to copy the rhythm and sometimes lyrics of such music for church use. Many of these songs and dances are not glorifying God so why copying the world? Ladies now twerk and wiggle in sexually provocative styles in churches at the sound of such worldly music. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world , neither the things that are in the world . If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Choirmasters and Music Coordinators pls take note.

6. Stipulating Minimum Amount for Offering-
Few days ago I was in a gathering and the pastor announced that those who do not have up to a certain amount of money to put down as offering should not bother to come out. This wasn’t the first time I’ll hear this announcement coming from the alter. This approach to collection of fat offerings should not be encouraged in the church. Jesus praised the poor widow who cast just two mites into the treasury because that was all she had [Mark 12: 41-44]. If such marginalization was declared before casting of offering at the temple, the poor widow would not have been able to cast her offering which Jesus acknowledged as the greatest of all offerings. Pastors should stop deterring people from casting their offerings; we do not need to inform them that fingers are not equal. Preach and tell the congregation the benefits of giving bountiful offering to God and let Him nourish His word in their heart and not indirectly telling them, ‘you cannot give the little you have to God.’

7. Organizing sport/game Competitions-
I do not know when sporting became an important spiritual exercise in the church. I once attended a church where a football match between two parishes led to a serious fracas. This later grew to a feud and it took many years for some of the youths and priests to heal the wounds of bitterness sustained during the match. It is more ideal to organize Bible quizzes and competitions which is very much unlikely to sow seeds of discord.

8. Letting out Church Premise/Properties for Secular Purposes-
I my humble opinion, it isn’t right to rent out church properties for non-religious activities such as club parties, political meetings etc. They may violate your rules and you would not be able to stop them until they are through.

9. Organizing Excursions and Sightseeing-
This should be left for our work places, families, schools and any other moderate social groups which we may belong to. Christ sent us to the whole world on a mission assignment to evangelize and win souls to the kingdom and not to catch fun. I have attended an excursion organized by the youth leaders of a church and to be honest, nothing gave glory to God in all we did. In fact, it may turn to an avenue for brethren to engage in sexual immoralities.

10. Inviting Secular Musicians and Comedians to Perform at Church Functions-
I have heard some blasphemous jokes from many comedians lately. It is so saddening that churches invite such performers to anchor programmes and all you hear are disrespectful words against God all in the name of making people laugh. How can you bring a secular musician to the church and expect him to bring down the spirit of God with his or her hip hop or RnB?

May the Lord revive the church again. Amen

AMEN,AMEN and AMEN

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by NobleG1(m): 3:20am On Jun 15, 2015
What did you expect? Don't you know that church is a business venture?
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Gboliwe: 4:24am On Jun 15, 2015
Pamcrest:

grin U must be a catholic.......many things on that list don't take place in our Catholic Church ooo.

But d op is correct to some extent, though I think he took some of those things to d extreme. Agh thing that is not a sin, even if it's not found in d bible is ok by me. Our God is not as rigid as some want us to believe. To each his own, sha!
My humble two cents

Hmmm. See how sure you are "you MUST be a catholic". I have never been a Catholic at any point in my life.

I am just reading for the first time here that Pastors charge money for consultation! shocked shocked shocked this is so strange to me I have never heard this. That parts of a church building are leased out to make money and it doesn't matter who it is rented out to. Hian! shocked and the rest of the stuff is strange.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by bugzbunny: 4:49am On Jun 15, 2015
There is only one church
The catholic church
Others are private business empires
Where owners rob shoulders with dangote
Deceiving gullible nigerians since 1890

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by focus7: 5:12am On Jun 15, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
Having special gate for Pastors.(If you are not a Pastor, you are not allowed to use 'Pastors' gate')

Keeping plenty parking space for Pastors' cars.

Checking bags and cars for bomb etc before allowing you into the premises.

Having soldiers and other security agents parading in the church.
for your third and fifth points you sound as a boko agent, I am suspecting you o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbo Deities Sold In A Museum Abroad (Photos) / Oyedepo Paid Graduate Pastors ₦38,000 Monthly — Sahara Reporters / When You Are Now Addicted To Pornography

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.