Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Any Igbo Muslim In The House - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Any Igbo Muslim In The House (42571 Views)

Hidden Islam: Nicolo Degiorgis Charts The Challenges Of Being Muslim In Italy / The Only Muslim In Greenland Who Fasts For 21 Hours / Challenges Facing Igbo Muslims - Sheikh Uthman Anaga (igbo Muslim) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 19, 2009
please am just being curious.Just wnt to find if igbo muslims exist am yet to see one

9 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Lagosboy: 11:51am On Feb 19, 2009
There are certainly igbo muslims and i have come across some but i dont think or know if there is any on NL

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by muhsin(m): 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2009
Greetings,

Am sorry to go a bit off topic, but I would really like to say; Igbo people, among other Nigerian tribes, do hardly convert to Islam as far as I know. Any idea on why this is so? Thanks for your response(s).

Muhsin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 20, 2009
muhsin:

Greetings,

Am sorry to go a bit off topic, but I would really like to say; Igbo people, among other Nigerian tribes, do hardly convert to Islam as far as I know. Any idea on why this is so? Thanks for your response(s).

Muhsin
It is so because Islamic preaching efforts are not as strong in Igboland. Imagine this: A neighbour that went to serve in Enugu state said when he was performing ablution, the kids around were watching him, amazed at what he was doing i.e they had never seen somebody do that before. When he mentioned Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) to them, they didn't know who he was. Their best guess was 'Murtala Mohammed, former president. That is how ignorant they are about the message of Islam.

Those that heard about Islam and converted got to know about Islam when they travelled to West/North or overseas. I know one Igboman that heard about and accepted Islam in Dubai. A very high ranking executive in my company from Delta state, for example, is a Muslim and he finished from the University of Liverpool. He converted to Islam(and converted his mother too). I think he learnt about Islam and accepted in UK.

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Lagosboy: 11:44am On Feb 20, 2009
Thats interesting. I know of a good number of Nigerians here in the UK that reverted to Islam but its on the contrary in Nigeria due to poverty and superstiscious beliefs

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by babs787(m): 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2009
It is so because Islamic preaching efforts are not as strong in Igboland. Imagine this: A neighbour that went to serve in Enugu state said when he was performing ablution, the kids around were watching him, amazed at what he was doing i.e they had never seen somebody do that before. When he mentioned Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) to them, they didn't know who he was. Their best guess was 'Murtala Mohammed, former president. That is how ignorant they are about the message of Islam.

Similar story of a brother that did his NYSC in Enugu. He normally travelled far to observe Jumah prayer and when trying to pray at home, they would gather around him trying to know what he wanted to do.

26 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by muhsin(m): 11:17pm On Feb 20, 2009
Thank you very much, brothers, or that info.

And there are lots o these stories rom friends and relatives who mostly served their NYSC on Igbolands or even some few Yorubas, even. But harly that happen in North, I think

1 Like

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2009
Surely, that cannot happen in teh north

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by olabowale(m): 4:32pm On Feb 21, 2009
Nigerians in Nigeria, need not portray Islam as a tribal or regional religion. neither the Makkan nor the Madinan can even do that, since Muhammad (AS) is the Messenger and prophet for all mankind.

There are enclaves in the pure Igboland, where Islam is not a stranger. Enugu has masjid, even way back when, because my friend is married to an Enugu woman. He had said that he went to masjid in that city for prayers. I guess one need to know where to go, especially when you are new. Then the Nigerian Muslims need to make plenty Dawah, all over the places; north, south, east, west, central, etc.

We still must make dawah on ourselves, because we do things that are not Islamic, more often than not.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 21, 2009
Thanks Egbon Olabowale,
By Enugu the people telling us the story most likely meant Enugu state,not Enugu city. Being a big city and state capital, Enugu will definitely have Mosque, but the places being referred to are most likely other towns and villages in Enugu state.

16 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by dayokanu(m): 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2009
Just like xtianity in the North. SOme corpers in Jigawa state would travel to Bauchi to worship.

The Only church in Basirka, Gwaram Local govt had been burnt by Moslems.

101 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by muhsin(m): 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2009
olabowale:

Nigerians in Nigeria, need not portray Islam as a tribal or regional religion. neither the Makkan nor the Madinan can even do that, since Muhammad (AS) is the Messenger and prophet for all mankind.

There are enclaves in the pure Igboland, where Islam is not a stranger. Enugu has masjid, even way back when, because my friend is married to an Enugu woman. He had said that he went to masjid in that city for prayers. I guess one need to know where to go, especially when you are new. Then the Nigerian Muslims need to make plenty Dawah, all over the places; north, south, east, west, central, etc.

We still must make dawah on ourselves, because we do things that are not Islamic, more often than not.

Well said, Olabowale.

2 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by babs787(m): 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2009
Though there is a Central Mosque in Enugu but Muslims travel far in order to observe Jumuah. Its not like North, South or West where you have osques here and there. Most Muslims observe prayers at home with tow or more fellow Muslims

2 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by scripture: 10:43am On Feb 24, 2009
Igbo are not and cannot be muslims cos {{Islam}} does not make sense to the ordinary igboman.

216 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by mukina2: 12:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
my thoughts too . .hmmm

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by VENUSS(f): 9:28am On Mar 01, 2009
@scripture nd spiral i guess u r christians didnt ur bible tell u judge not.

betta star praying 4 ur souls cos am not going to judge u. GOD[ALLAH] will

it mite be to late den repenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, u fools , unbelivers lipsrsealed

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Mustay(m): 11:23am On Mar 01, 2009
Until you go to the South East, you wouldn't know how many Muslims we have yet.

Just like someone said there weren't Chinese Muslims. shocked

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 01, 2009
Mustay:

Until you go to the South East, you wouldn't know how many Muslims we have yet.

Just like someone said there weren't Chinese Muslims. shocked
Who said this? 1.5% of Chinese are Muslims( 19 miliion plus).

7 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Mustay(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2009
Despite the fact that Nigerians stated their religion status during the 2006 population census, NPC deliberately omitted that data inn their result for "religious reasons". Most people here are writing based on NO FACT. The more reason why I mentioned China is due to their cultural background; the same is usually adopted for the Ndigbo pikins.

Go to the South east and tell me you won't see Muslims there before posting.

2 Likes

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by keyne(f): 6:24pm On Mar 09, 2009
Igbos know better than to dabble in islam

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by muhsin(m): 1:16pm On Mar 10, 2009
keyne:

Igbos know better than to dabble in islam

Are they (or u) that dumb? grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by seeklove: 2:02am On Mar 14, 2009
Igbos hate unnecessary shedding of blood. They respect and value human life. Even the ancients Igbos, before Christianity came, they respected human life and love peace. Christianity easily won over the Igbos because it is peaceful and respects human life, even the life of an enemy.

Those that think that Igbos have not been exposed to Islam are wrong. Igbos have long been exposed to it, even today Igbos all over the world are exposed to Islam. Sometimes muslims will even try to win converts by promising them riches. I know how many times they have tried to convert me, my friends, and etc. I know Igbos in the muslim countries, still they will never consider joining. A friend of mine happily lost a contract that would have been his, if only he accepted Islam. The few Igbos that pretend to be muslims only do it to get positions and contracts.

218 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by ayinba1(f): 8:40pm On Mar 14, 2009
There are wonderful people from Iboland; intelligent, beautiful, well educated; who are muslims after Allah showed His mercy upon them, you do not speak for the entire Igbo people, because you appear very uninformed even about Ibos.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by Mustay(m): 9:14am On Mar 15, 2009
What vexes me about this arguement is that most of you are not talking on facts. When last did you go to the east? Tell me I didn't pray there abi?
Re: Any Igbo Muslim In The House by babs787(m): 7:25pm On Mar 15, 2009
@Seeklove & Cocoman

Are you saying there are no igbo Muslims?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quran Says Bible Is A Book Of Reference For The Muslims / Does Erection Destroy Your Fasting? / ''Baby Born In Bauchi With Quran And Bead In His Hand'' - Rariya (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.