Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

How To Setup And Start A Blog - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Setup And Start A Blog (19412 Views)

Total Cost In Creating A Blog / 20 Tangible Reasons Why You Need To Start A Blog / How To Setup A Custom Domain Name For Your Blogger Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Julius2214(m): 10:39pm On Jun 09, 2015
Get a beautifully designed blog with custom domain
Details: https://www.nairaland.com/2342955/need-well-designed--blog
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by tessylove2(f): 10:41pm On Jun 09, 2015
Help review mine pls, blog its just a month and a week old thanks
www.gistwithtessy.com
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Drabrah(m): 10:54pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kindly review my blog:

www.parrot247..com

U actually made me almost regret using blogger instead of WordPress tho, I must confess

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by tamonokare: 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2015
Julius2214:

I can help u design a beautiful blog. Free hosted () or self hosted (WordPress). Your choice
thank you and God bless you, I'm also interested in owning a blog. please help me.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
Guys, evaluate my blog. Criticise constructively. I just started. Its going to be a den of forex info.

www.aheadmarket.com
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by opepwince: 11:43pm On Jun 09, 2015
Blog for sale >>> www.AbujaMedia.Net !! contact on the site
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Mayfrank(m): 12:16am On Jun 10, 2015
mezebel:
I need to start blog of my own. Can someone help me?
yeah... ah can help
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Mayfrank(m): 12:23am On Jun 10, 2015
I rep Nerds'Lot. The best new tech blog www.nerdslot.com
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Dollarboom: 12:33am On Jun 10, 2015
Good tips.

Meanwhile,

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Harry4cas(m): 2:23am On Jun 10, 2015
Aida13:
Thanks for the great tips, had to learn some on my own when I started blogging couple of months ago.

It's true you need to blog a out your passion. I enjoy watching Korean dramas and movies and suddenly chose to start a blog about it.

There are countless such blogs out there but I try to make mine unique as per naija levels now. We can't carry last ever abi grin

https://idreamedadrama.
babe i'll tell you what, your blog stands out from the rest that i've checked so far from this very post. Nice work!!!

I also wanna commend the other guy with a science blog too. You both are doing a great job.

When you've gotten enough experience and knowledge tryna move from a free hosting to your own self hosted domain.

I've come to realize that Wordpress blogs look more mature than . #my2cents.

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:14am On Jun 10, 2015
This is a fantastic thread.

Its interesting i must say.

Op you are great!
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Aida13: 7:53am On Jun 10, 2015
Harry4cas:
babe i'll tell you what, your blog stands out from the rest that i've checked so far from this very post. Nice work!!!

I also wanna commend the other guy with a science blog too. You both are doing a great job.

When you've gotten enough experience and knowledge tryna move from a free hosting to your own self hosted domain.

I highly appreciate your encouraging words. I also recommend WordPress over .

As I get more time and material to make the blog regularly updated, I do plan on moving it from free hosting to a personalized domain. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Aida13: 7:57am On Jun 10, 2015
tessylove2:
Help review mine pls, blog its just a month and a week old thanks
www.gistwithtessy.com

I like your blog, very neat and functional. Makes visitors enjoy your posts when the set up is so easy on the eyes.

My only suggestion is about the food pics, if you can make the visuals more stylized. Because our home dishes are unique we need to make them look more appealing in photos. So maybe you could use a better camera or try some nice presentation of the dishes. All said and done, great blog and thanks for the rock bun recipe, that was awesome.

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by tessylove2(f): 8:05am On Jun 10, 2015
Aida13:

I like your blog, very neat and functional. Makes visitors enjoy your posts when the set up is so easy on the eyes.

My only suggestion is about the food pics, if you can make the visuals more stylized. Because our home dishes are unique we need to make them look more appealing in photos. So maybe you could use a better camera or try some nice presentation of the dishes. All said and done, great blog and thanks for the rock bun recipe, that was awesome.
Thanks a lot,I get your point.

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Niyi61202(m): 8:29am On Jun 10, 2015
OnyeIbo:
Guys, evaluate my blog. Criticise constructively. I just started. Its going to be a den of forex info.

www.aheadmarket.com

A good start. In my opinion, what you need now is quality and informative contents. This is where keyword research comes to play. Remember you are not writing for yourself, you are writing for an audience, so how do you know what your audience are interested in or presently searching for.

keywords are the individual words or phrases users enter into search engines like Google to find what they are looking for. They can be one word or, more commonly, a multiple-word phrase (Long tail). Different businesses and products will have their own sets of keywords that are relevant to what they offer their audience. It’s important to be aware of the keywords relevant to your business — that’s the first step in competing for them in the search engine results pages.

Keyword research is one of the most crucial aspects of a successful search engine optimization and marketing campaign. Proper keyword research and selection helps establish an effective foundation for most of your online marketing efforts. The keywords you choose will power your
search engine optimization, sponsored ad campaigns, link building campaigns, press releases and more. Before you begin any of these marketing efforts you must have already determined what core terms your site will be built upon and what keywords will fuel your online marketing efforts.
Keyword research should be the first step in any process that involves optimizing and marketing your website through the search engines. I believe keyword research is the most important part of the process, yet often one that is looked over as either largely unimportant, or not important enough to spend enough time doing effectively.

Many site owners get caught up in the belief that if they just achieve any #1 ranking then visitors will begin flocking to their site. This may be true if your #1 ranked search term is actively searched and is relevant to your site or page which it leads to. If not—if you don’t research your
keywords properly—all the top rankings in the world won’t drive or keep the best visitors to your site. In regards to getting and maintaining top listings, keep this in mind: all keywords are not created equal.

Grab my eBook titled The Ultimate Guide to Long tail Keywords, i believe it will be a very useful resource for you at this stage.
http://bluegeek.com.ng/ebook-tutorial-the-ultimate-guide-to-long-tail-keywords/

You will learn how Keywords work in relation to SEO and how they can help improve the ranking of your website in search engines. This eBook offers an in depth guide to:

Introduction to long tail keywords.
Choosing, sorting & selecting your long tail keywords.
Organizing and implementing your long tail keywords
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by joearinze(m): 8:30am On Jun 10, 2015
Make some extra money from sport betting

with corrrect daily predictions
register on https://www./Odds/registration/affiliate727834
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 10, 2015
RobinHez:
Ehm...I run a science blog based on blogger @ http://edscienceblog..com .I only have 54 subscribers in total (feeds+email) and only 4 of them are Nigerians, and its not fair, I mean we can gossip all day on other blogs, but to spend a minute to actually view and comment on a science blog is wahala...no wonder we're not plenty in Nigeria @science blog writers.

Now before 12am Tomorrow morning, I want to see at least 50 Nigerians subscribed to my mail feed and I want to see 30 comments on the over 21 articles on that blog, else, I'll climb a Tree and won't come down again till my demand is met. Try me! angry

Am also begging o...Nigerians, embrace science! Subscribe today and get informed. cool
. robinheZ check naijupdates..com need you helo
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by mayorisaac: 10:07am On Jun 10, 2015
after the hosting payment, is there any additional monthly/weekly payment or subscribtion?

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 10, 2015
someone help me at http://naijupdates..com have got prob publishing
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Niyi61202(m): 10:12am On Jun 10, 2015
mayorisaac:
after the hosting payment, is there any additional monthly/weekly payment or subscribtion?

Cost to consider when setting up news or blogging site.
For SEO purposes, domain name registration should be at least 2 years - #4000
hosting @ #10,000 per annum will get you a decent hosting package that should accommodate your traffic needs
graphics - logo design, web banner designs, social media branding - at the minimum you will spend 5-10k for a decent and professional job.
Premium Template - #10,000

It will cost you extra if you want to employ the services of a web designer. There are many resources on the web you can refer to for help on solving the different tasks associated with setting up your blog.

http://bluegeek.com.ng/top-15-news-and-blog-websites-in-nigeria-using-wordpress/

http://bluegeek.com.ng/important-factors-that-will-make-your-website-redesign-process-a-success/

http://bluegeek.com.ng/how-to-setup-and-start-a-blog/

http://bluegeek.com.ng/reasons-why-you-should-use-wordpress-for-your-personal-or-business-websites/
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Mayfrank(m): 10:13am On Jun 10, 2015
clintonopah:
someone help me at http://naijupdates..com have got prob publishing
what kind of prob
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by RobinHez(m): 10:19am On Jun 10, 2015
clintonopah:
. robinheZ check naijupdates..com need you helo
Brotherly!
My first advice to you, is to do away with that Dynamic View template u're using...it has a lot of downsides.
u can customize any of the other availabe templates or you can preferably download a custom template online, google is a good friend here.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by RobinHez(m): 10:26am On Jun 10, 2015
Talius:
its so nice to see like minded fellows all in the same room. Blogging should be done out of passion and not because everybody is doing it, I for one just opened a blog for the purpose of writing uplifting articles that is supposed to encourage people to be the best that they can be. You must have a reason for typing in the first place, if there is no reason then there's no purpose
Nice!
I saw ur comments on my blog, I really appreciate them!
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by RobinHez(m): 10:31am On Jun 10, 2015
Harry4cas:

Thanks sir!

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Adeyeancah(m): 10:59am On Jun 10, 2015
dhsfbi:
Word of advice, open a blog on what you specialized on. I mean something you know very well for easy updating of the blog
I love sports so much! I started updating gossips,live scores etc on facebook 6yrs ago just for fun n it turned out to be a passion now.
Right now,I want to start making money from what I know how to do best. I need ur advice bro as I want to open a blog,Thanks!

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Adeyeancah(m): 11:07am On Jun 10, 2015
DanWrites:
Originality is KEY. Check out DNB Stories.
www.dnbstories.com
I only spent 30secs on ur blog ,believe me,am really impressed!
Its rare to see the kinda articles you write. Many people are out there that's heartbroken and don't know how to deal with it. Keep it up bro!
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by DanWrites(m): 11:22am On Jun 10, 2015
Adeyeancah:
I only spent 30secs on ur blog ,believe me,am really impressed!
Its rare to see the kinda articles you write. Many people are out there that's heartbroken and don't know how to deal with it. Keep it up bro!
Thanks, man.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by DOD1: 11:58am On Jun 10, 2015
Niyi61202:
There’s five main steps you need to go through in order to set up a blog. If you follow this guide and the five steps, you’ll have your own blog set up in no time.

The Five Steps to Starting a Blog:

Decide what you want to blog about
Choose your preferred blogging platform
Choose whether you want to self-host and a paid domain, or get a free blog
Setting up a blog on your own domain (if you choose self-hosting and a custom domain)
Designing your blog

Decide what you want to blog about

If you’re going to write about something regularly and keep your blog fresh with new information, then you need to write about something that you are really passionate about or that reflects your daily experience. It’s much easier to write articles and posts about topics that you’re passionate about, on the other hand it makes no sense to start a blog about something you have no interest in.

It’s better when you blog about something of interest in a specific field or an industry you ave been a part of for a long time, because you are already an expert. However, if you don’t have any idea which topic or niche you want to write about, think about your hobbies or just start blogging about your daily activities, memorable moments or simply about everything. You can also think about how you want to help people and the valuable information and experience you can share with them via your blog.

Take a look at other blogs on your topic to see what other people are already doing. Ask yourself what you have to offer that is different from what other people are already doing. Identifying your niche will distinguish your blog from your competitors.
Choose your preferred blogging platform

Choosing where you want to build your blog is very important to the success of your blog. I want to assume you’ve heard of WordPress, and this is the platform I advocate. It’s the biggest blogging platforms in the world, with countless plugins and add-ons and almost infinite ways to design and layout your blog. Most of the blogs on the internet are built using the WordPress blogging platform. Approximately 22% of websites around the world use WordPress. That’s over 75 million blogs or websites! WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
Choose whether you want to self-host, or get a free blog

This is one of the biggest decision you’ll have to make wen setting up your blog. You need to decide whether to pay for your blog hosting or grab a free blog from WordPress. getting a free blog may seem attractive for those who aren’t super serious about blogging because of its downsides:

You are not able to get your OWN domain – Instead, you will get a sub-domain. If you decide to start a free blog on (for example), then it would look like this http://oluwafemiadeniyi.

You DON’T OWN your blog – silly as it may sound, you don’t actually own your blog. It’s hosted on someone else’s web property and they can delete it if they want so. They have done so in the past, and keep doing it in the future(Remember Linda Ikeji blog was deleted by Google in 2014 before it was later restored). Which means all your hard work on your blog, all those countless hours of writing blog posts might be vanished within seconds.

A self-hosted blog on your own domain (yourblog.com) is by far the better option. It gives you full control over your blog and you’ll look more professional. It’s also a great choice for people who want to blog long-term, share their knowledge, become a blogger and earn some money from it.

Setting up a blog on your own domain (if you choose self-hosting and a custom domain)

I’m moving forward with the believe you’ve chosen WordPress, and if you haven’t, you should because it’s the best. If you decided to go with a self-hosted blog on your own domain, you have made a smart choice. Finding a great domain name can take a while, but it’s worth it. I suggest you pick something brandable and easy to remember.

WHERE CAN I GET A DOMAIN NAME AND BLOG HOSTING?

I recommend you get a domain and hosting from the same place, that way you’ll save some money and time. In the past few years while I have been creating and managing blogs, I have discovered that there are very few reliable hosting companies.

One of the most reliable one is Siteground hosting

You have two options to install your blog to your own domain:

A) With “One-Click-Installation” using Siteground (You can get a domain from there as well).
B) Manually.

The One-Click-Installation is better for beginners or those who are trying to set up their first blog. If you are internet/computer savvy then have a look at the manual tutorial. Either way, you’ll get your blog online very quickly.
Designing your blog

Design of your blog is very important as the better looking your site is, the more memorable it will be for your visitors. The open-source community behind WordPress has created a large number of themes that are great looking and mobile responsive out of the box. Free themes are a good place to start for any blogger. I recommend that you go into your new WordPress admin, go into “Appearance” on the left-hand side navigation menu and click “Themes”. I usually choose something that looks professional and pretty easy to customise. WordPress also has this awesome feature that allows you to change themes with just a few clicks. So if you start getting tired of your current blog template, you can just switch to another one without losing any precious content or images.

This article was fist published on
http://bluegeek.com.ng/how-to-setup-and-start-a-blog/
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
RobinHez:

Brotherly!
My first advice to you, is to do away with that Dynamic View template u're using...it has a lot of downsides.
u can customize any of the other availabe templates or you can preferably download a custom template online, google is a good friend here.
I appreciate
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by odicity: 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2015
I NEED HELP, CREATED A WORDPRESS BLOG ON MY LOCAL SERVER , AM BROWSING USING SIMPLE SERVER AND WANT TO UPLOAD IT TO MY IPAGE HOSTING
ACCOUNT BUT THE FTPS AM USING; FILEZILLA, IS NOT INSTALLING, I TRIED, SMART FTP, WINSCP BUT THEY ARE NOT CONNECTING EVEN FIREFTP MOZZILLA ADDON, I TRIED CHANGING THEIR PROXY SETTINGS
BUT AM NOT REALLY SEEING ANY RESPONSE, WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by mezebel(f): 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2015
Julius2214:

I can help u design a beautiful blog. Free hosted () or self hosted (WordPress). Your choice
pls how do we go about it?

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by mezebel(f): 2:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
Julius2214:

pls how do we go about it? Give me ur whatsap number

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free Proxy And Hide Ip - Ninja Cloak / Ask Any Question On Blogging, SEO, Web & Social Media - OnlineMercenaries / Is Learning Web Design A Waste Of My Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.