Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,064 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash (1009 Views)

PINE Fraud: Why I Will Not Appear Before The Senate - SGF / Yakubu Dogara Is Speaker Of 8th House Of Representatives / Ike Ekweremadu Emerges Deputy-Senate President Of 8th Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by lekzzydo(m): 9:56am On Jun 09, 2015
The inauguration of the Presiding officers of the 8th assembly has thrown the entire three arms zone comprising the presidency, the Supreme Court (Judiciary) and the National Assembly into serious pandemonium following the blocking of roads leading to the secretariat by the armed security personnel.

Crowd at the entrance of Nass close to federal secretariat, Abuja on Tuesday morning

Specially, staff at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, security personnel drafted to barricade the gate clashed with staff as the later were stopped from going into their various offices.
It was gathered from a reliable source that the sudden decision of security operatives to barricade all entrances leading to the National Assembly Complex was intended to prevent elections for the highest offices of both chamber from holding.
Although people had been accredited for the event, the security operatives asked everyone to turn back despite showing their tags at the entrances.
The main entrance to the complex from the Central Area axis, two entry points from Aso Villa were blocked by a combined team of men of the Nigeria Police Force and Department of State Security (DSS).
As early as 6am, all entrances had been blocked, with security officials who craved anonymity declaring that they were acting on orders from above.
It was learnt that President Mohammadu Buhari who returned from the G7 meeting Monday night will meet with the National Assembly members of the APC by 9am on Tuesday to salvage the already situation.
The sudden development it was gathered was the alleged decision of the opposition PDP to endorse Bukola Saraki and Yakubu Dogara for Senate President and Speaker, House of Representatives respectively.
While the APC controls 59 out of the 109 seats in the upper house as against PDP’s 49, the ruling party similarly dominates the 360-member lower house with over 200 federal legislators.
Staff at SGF office who stormed the blocked entrances along Aso Drive protested against the actions of the security operatives.
The staff who argued that it was wrong to stop them from going to the office without any circular informing them that there was not going to be work today, had hectic time with the security personnel comprising mostly of the Police, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDS, and the DSS.
The civil servants who tried to forcefully gain entry into the premises argued that they have nothing to do with the National Assembly inauguration and that no circular was issued to them to stay away from work.
However about 9am as a result of the chaotic situation, the workers at the SGF office were allowed to go in with everybody displaying his or her Identity Card, while journalists that were at the gate were not allowed to pass through the gate.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/inauguration-of-8th-senate-sgf-staff-security-clash/

Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by johnie: 9:58am On Jun 09, 2015
Change!
Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by Edwardhead(m): 9:59am On Jun 09, 2015
[size=25pt]Make I park my bus here to read comments from PDP[/size]
Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by missKiffy(f): 10:03am On Jun 09, 2015
It is well
Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by AWONEYAN(m): 10:03am On Jun 09, 2015
none of my business.
Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 09, 2015
It is a shame but not a surprise that a party that rode to power through fraudulent change mantra is yet to come to terms with the reality that Nigerians will not tolerate their show of impunity. Which secttion of the constitution or any act empowers the police and political partis to interfere in the legitimate activity of the National Assembly? Why can't these people pretend to be civil?

1 Like

Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 09, 2015
If I have to chose who heads the National Assembly, I'd go for a PDP candidate in order to maintain true checks and balance. But the story posted by Vanguard has dubious slant. There is no definite attribution to 'order from above'. It is possible that the security agents are trying to manage the huge crowd expected for the inauguration of both houses. It may not be a party thing.

Re: Inauguration Of 8th Senate: SGF Staff, Security Clash by jorlons(m): 10:17am On Jun 09, 2015
I'm deeply disappointed in the way the APC has handled this issue. This is will send the wrong signal to Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Be Patient With Buhari - NEF Tells Nigerians / Okonjo-iweala Responds To Oshiomhole's Accusation / I Have Not Made Demands Of Buhari, Tinubu Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.