Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,592 members, 7,809,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay (2909 Views)

Fayose Is On The Road To Self-destruction — Prof. Sagay / The Prof Sagay Many Igbos Didn't Know. / Face of SACKED, Nigerian Tribune Editor Who Hoaxed Fake Prof Sagay Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Farnesyl1989: 1:40am On Jun 10, 2015
A constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, says President Muhammadu Buhari should not recognise the newly-elected Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki, because of the manner in which he emerged.

Sagay, who is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, said this during a telephone interview with our correspondent on Tuesday.

He said it was immoral for Saraki, who is a member of the All Progressives Congress, to collude with members of the Peoples Democratic Party and hold an election in the absence of over 50 APC senators.

He said Nigerians had hoped that with the exit of the PDP-led Federal Government, impunity would become a thing of the past. He said it was unfortunate that Saraki had brought impunity into the APC.

He said, “The bulk of the APC senators were having a meeting with the President and in their absence, PDP senators and Senator Saraki’s supporters in the APC went to the chambers and started the proceedings and nominated Saraki unopposed as President of the Senate.

“In my view, it is not only an act of gross impunity which Senator Saraki has brought from the PDP but he has now demonstrated it in the Senate. It is an illegal act because there is no way a Senate can be formally inaugurated without all the members being present – provided they want to be present.

“They knew that the bulk of the APC senators were not there and the APC senators intended to participate in the election. For Saraki and other PDP senators to have gone ahead to do that election in their absence was an act of illegality and criminality.

“It was an attempted coup in the first arm of government in Nigeria and it is a very serious assault on democracy in this country and if I was the President, I would refuse to recognise the result of such an illegal exercise and insist that a proper Senate is convened to elect its officials.”

However, a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba, said there was nothing illegal about Saraki’s election.

Agbakoba told our correspondent during an interview that the APC did not complain when the immediate past Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, defected to the APC from the PDP and refused to relinquish his position.

Agbakoba, who is also a senior advocate, said the law did not require every member of the Senate to be present in the chamber when electing principal officers.

He said all that was needed for an election to take place was a simple majority of the senators and this condition was met.

He said, “The election of principal officers in the National Assembly should not be confused with a political process. This is different from the American system which says that the ruling party must produce the key officers.” http
://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-shouldnt-recognise-saraki-says-sagay/

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 2:17am On Jun 10, 2015
I hate greedy b*stards..Bukola Saraki is one!

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 2:23am On Jun 10, 2015
Prof can lie:
He said, “The bulk of the APC senators were having a meeting with the President and in their absence, PDP senators and Senator Saraki’s supporters in the APC went to the chambers and started the proceedings and nominated Saraki unopposed as President of the Senate.

The Truth:
Early yesterday morning the APC, apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP, summoned a meeting with all senators-elect and members-elect using the name of the president, Muhammadu Buhari who had just returned from his outing at the G7 summit in Germany.

To give vent to the meeting, security was tightened around the National Assembly complex and senators-elect and members-elect were initially refused entry. However, supporters of Saraki and Dogara were quick to dismiss the meeting as they alleged that the president did not summon the meeting as they accused the party leadership of using the name of the president.

Meanwhile, word of the development in the National Assembly reached the ICC, forcing a break-up of the meeting as APC senators-elect waiting for the president started dashing back to the National Assembly.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/how-saraki-dogara-outfoxed-apc-leaders/#sthash.yOf7kfdI.dpuf

ANOTHER LIE FROM PROF:
“It was an attempted coup in the first arm of government in Nigeria and it is a very serious assault on democracy in this country and if I was the President, I would refuse to recognize the result of such an illegal exercise and insist that a proper Senate is convened to elect its officials.”

The Truth:
security was tightened around the National Assembly complex and senators-elect and members-elect were initially refused entry (on whose oder? Tinubu's order i guess as the senior prefect of Nigeria).

Tinubu and co should be held responsible for disenfranchising its members from voting at the NHA floor where they were meant to be as elected senators of the FRN and not as errand boys to tinubu that can be summoned at any time of the day by fraudulently using the name of Mr President to achieve his own ulterior motives.
Tinubu and co deceived the APC elected senators by lying to them that Buhari was going to have a meeting with them which apparently turned out to be false,apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/how-saraki-dogara-outfoxed-apc-leaders/#sthash.yOf7kfdI.dpuf

Prof should stop being sentimental and lying at his age because we the younger generations looks up to elderly people like him. Despite his lies shaa, i am still a huge fan of his accomplishment in expounding the fountains of constitutionalism in Nigeria

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by olatomiwa(f): 3:09am On Jun 10, 2015
byrron:
Prof can lie:

The Truth: I think Nigerians have attributed too much power to Tinubu. Why is he held responsible for every political appointment, every political drama like the unseen hand? I believe that all these conspiracy theories about Tinubu is unfair. Let's deal with facts and move on from these Tinubuphobia.
Early yesterday morning the APC, apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP, summoned a meeting with all senators-elect and members-elect using the name of the president, Muhammadu Buhari who had just returned from his outing at the G7 summit in Germany.

To give vent to the meeting, security was tightened around the National Assembly complex and senators-elect and members-elect were initially refused entry. However, supporters of Saraki and Dogara were quick to dismiss the meeting as they alleged that the president did not summon the meeting as they accused the party leadership of using the name of the president.

Meanwhile, word of the development in the National Assembly reached the ICC, forcing a break-up of the meeting as APC senators-elect waiting for the president started dashing back to the National Assembly.

ANOTHER LIE FROM PROF:
“It was an attempted coup in the first arm of government in Nigeria and it is a very serious assault on democracy in this country and if I was the President, I would refuse to recognize the result of such an illegal exercise and insist that a proper Senate is convened to elect its officials.”

The Truth:
security was tightened around the National Assembly complex and senators-elect and members-elect were initially refused entry (on whose oder? Tinubu's order i guess as the senior prefect of Nigeria).

Tinubu and co should be held responsible for disenfranchising its members from voting at the NHA floor where they were meant to be as elected senators of the FRN and not as errand boys to tinubu that can be summoned at any time of the day by fraudulently using the name of Mr President to achieve his own ulterior motives.
Tinubu and co deceived the APC elected senators by lying to them that Buhari was going to have a meeting with them which apparently turned out to be false,apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP.

Prof should stop being sentimental and lying at his age because we the younger generations looks up to elderly people like him. Despite his lies shaa, i am still a huge fan of his accomplishment in expounding the fountains of constitutionalism in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Maxymilliano(m): 3:16am On Jun 10, 2015
Prof is hallucinating, to folks like him, history is just another subject.

He should just go ahead and register with APC and spear us the sanctimonious balderdash, where was he in 2011 when Tambuwal did the same thing ?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by LILYCHERISH(f): 3:26am On Jun 10, 2015
Prof dnt let dat bother u, Nigeria cannot change
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by mencade5(m): 3:28am On Jun 10, 2015
byrron:
Prof can lie:

The Truth:

ANOTHER LIE FROM PROF:

The Truth:

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 3:31am On Jun 10, 2015
[quote author=olatomiwa post=34609645][/quote]

I think Nigerians have attributed too much power to Tinubu. Why is he held responsible for every political appointment, every political drama like the unseen hand? I believe that all these conspiracy theories about Tinubu is unfair. Let's deal with facts and move on from these Tinubuphobia.

Tell him to stop behaving like the senior prefect of Nigeria then, it is becoming really irritating.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 3:31am On Jun 10, 2015
jayfolarin:
I hate greedy b*stards..Bukola Saraki is one!
The court will do justice in a little while. Saraki may be the Senate President.....but not for long.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by ayindejimmy(m): 3:41am On Jun 10, 2015
byrron:
Prof can lie:

The Truth:

ANOTHER LIE FROM PROF:

The Truth:

I Tinubu and co deceived the APC elected senators by lying to them that Buhari was going to have a meeting with them which apparently turned out to be false,apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP.

It seem you know more about the Constitution than the SAN on Constitutional Law.

Let me tell you where you goofed.

1st. The President spoke person Mr Adesina was in a telephone call on Channels TV last night and he said PMB was going to attend the meeting yesterday until he heard election was already taking place in the House.

2nd. Security is always tight around the Assembly Complex, and yesterday being an inauguration, extra measure needs to be taken. Did any senators complained about hindrance to their entrance to the complex? If you have no business there... What should you be doing there? Even Mimiko was there yesterday... And He had no biz there
Do you think if Buhari wants to play politic he won't bar them from entering the complex. But like PMB had earlier said.... He's ready to work with anyone so he didn't hinder the process in anyway. And Saraki acknowledged that.

The mistake the SAN is trying to point out which you failed to see is Buhari’s thinking that he can work peacefully with a PDP backed and inclined Saraki in a divided House.
PDP wants nothing more than to see the end of APC and this #change era. And they'll do anything to achieve that. Only Buhari is not seeing this. I think the SAN can see that clearly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 4:12am On Jun 10, 2015
ayindejimmy:

[s]It seem you know more about the Constitution than the SAN on Constitutional Law.[/s]
There was no breach of the constitution here and prof never showed any constitutional breach so don't even go there, prof was just being very sentimental and had to lie- i gave u reference links for u to go read up.

Let me tell you where you goofed.

[s]1st. The President spoke person Mr Adesina was in a telephone call on Channels TV last night and he said PMB was going to attend the meeting yesterday until he heard election was already taking place in the House. [/s]

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/how-saraki-dogara-outfoxed-apc-leaders/#sthash.yOf7kfdI.dpuf

[s]2nd. Security is always tight around the Assembly Complex, and yesterday being an inauguration, extra measure needs to be taken. Did any senators complained about hindrance to their entrance to the complex? If you have no business there... What should you be doing there? Even Mimiko was there yesterday... And He had no biz there
Do you think if Buhari wants to play politic he won't bar them from entering the complex. But like PMB had earlier said.... He's ready to work with anyone so he didn't hinder the process in anyway. And Saraki acknowledged that.
[/s]
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/how-saraki-dogara-outfoxed-apc-leaders/#sthash.yOf7kfdI.dpuf

[s]The mistake the SAN is trying to point out which you failed to see is Buhari’s thinking that he can work peacefully with a PDP backed and inclined Saraki in a divided House.[/s] ( You are the one that have failed to see the blatant lies and deceit from the APC chief installers and that lie led to their defeat and what would be your explanation for the loss as well in the lower house were APC Reps voted and still got beaten?)

[s]PDP wants nothing more than to see the end of APC and this #change era. And they'll do anything to achieve that. Only Buhari is not seeing this[/s] PDP is now the opposition so it is left for APC to keep their house in oder or else PDP will capitalize on their lappses and hit them hard and that is how it is done and APC also did same when it was the opposition party- you got nothing worthy to say here.

I think the SAN can see that clearly yes, the SAN can see sentimentally.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 4:21am On Jun 10, 2015
Maxymilliano:
Prof is hallucinating, to folks like him, history is just another subject.

He should just go ahead and register with APC and spear us the sanctimonious balderdash, where was he in 2011 when Tambuwal did the same thing ?

it was normal then and it wasn't a coup- Prof loved it then grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Maxymilliano(m): 4:31am On Jun 10, 2015
byrron:

it was normal then and it wasn't a coup- Prof loved it then grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Don't mind the hypocrite, trying hard to be diplomatic in his political bias ...
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by double0seven(m): 4:40am On Jun 10, 2015
Mr. Byrron,

Tinubu used PMB name to do this. He used PMB name to do that...
and you know this how??
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 4:48am On Jun 10, 2015

double0seven:
Mr. Byrron,

Tinubu used PMB name to do this. He used PMB name to do that...

and you know this how??
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by ayindejimmy(m): 5:57am On Jun 10, 2015
[quote author=byrron post=34609890][/quote]
You kept quoting Vanguard. Did you watch the news on Channels last night at all? If you did you would heard the real actors speak not some newspaper that'll claim Buhari said he'll make dollar equivalent to Naira

The SAN is just advising APC leaders
If Buhari had played a bit of politics by intervening in the party affairs earlier , I'm sure he could have convinced the two candidates to compromised.
The issue is not Saraki emerging Senate President but that he dined with the devil at the detriment of the party

However, all hope is not lost.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by olasmith10(m): 5:58am On Jun 10, 2015
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by ayindejimmy(m): 6:05am On Jun 10, 2015
byrron:

You kept quoting Vanguard. Did you watch the
news on Channels last night at all? If you did you
would heard the real actors speak not some
newspaper that'll claim Buhari said he'll make dollar
equivalent to Naira
The SAN is just advising APC leaders
If Buhari had played a bit of politics by intervening
in the party affairs earlier , I'm sure he could have
convinced the two candidates to compromised.
The issue is not Saraki emerging Senate President
but that he dined with the devil at the detriment of
the party
However, all hope is not lost.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Caseless: 6:22am On Jun 10, 2015
We should let things go for the sake of Nigeria and apc; no one should be seen creating more trouble like they did and which was what led to the party's loss yestetday.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by SporaD8: 7:15am On Jun 10, 2015
There is a huge difference between "being responsible" on one hand, and "to permit" on the other hand.
What happened yesterday was a grand conspiracy to whittle down Tinubu's overbearing hold on APC party's structure.
In my opinion, APC senators as well as PMB are in on the conspiracy - they won't have call a party meeting, when the National assembly has a constitutional backing to seat, without first making an attempt to stop the House proceedings!
As the President already declared, "A constitutional processes have occurred" and their is nothing anybody can do about it because APC senators disenfranchised themselves when they put party's interest ahead of the National's
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 10, 2015
Even if APC senators are around,Saraki would have still won.
So their absence means nothing to the votes.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by saintopus(m): 10:32am On Jun 10, 2015
Interesting times are here.!
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by DevilhimseIf: 10:37am On Jun 10, 2015
Caseless:
We should let things go for the sake of Nigeria and apc; no one should be seen creating more trouble like they did and which was what led to the party's loss yestetday.

apc didn't loose they are still the leader both upper and lower chamber

abi saraki and dogara no be apc again mgbo Caseless ogbuagu?
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by superstar1(m): 10:40am On Jun 10, 2015
APC were paid back in their own coin.

No cheating.

Even if the APC members were in the house, it would have been 57 against 51 and Bukola would still have won.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Caseless: 11:37am On Jun 10, 2015
DevilhimseIf:

apc didn't loose they are still the leader both upper and lower chamber

abi saraki and dogara no be apc again mgbo Caseless ogbuagu?
opiaoku, when tambuwal emerged with the support of the opposition, how did u feel then?

You know what happened to apc is different from what happened during the tambuwal's saga. We gave u people deputy senate president.

Pdp won't allow what happened to apc to happen to them.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Caseless: 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
superstar1:
APC were paid back in their own coin.

No cheating.

Even if the APC members were in the house, it would have been 57 against 51 and Bukola would still have won.
it would have been better that way, but to have saraki unopposed cost the party a lot yesterday.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by alaoeri: 12:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
That's not the right way to go, Saraki can still be checkmate if and only if APC play their game very well, allow him to lead the senate for a while, why you buy majority of the house to your side ( in politics everybody have a price) then look for his mistakes by that he can easily be impeach.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by vedaxcool(m): 12:34pm On Jun 10, 2015
It is preferable for APC lawmakers to take the matter to court than for Buhari to be drawn into such brouhaha.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by 7lives: 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2015
Yomieluv:
Even if APC senators are around,Saraki would have still won.

So their absence means nothing to the votes.

I like your statement, but why must Saraki sneak in through the back door when he would have won the election in proper assembly sitting?.
Saraki is not sure he can win in a level playing field, this is why I don't want this case to just go like that, "we voted for change not the kind of nonsense that's unfolding right before us".
And I'm seriously hoping that we will not wake up one day to hear that our dear president had been impeached by the same set of people that have held this country hostage in the last 16 years, pdp, David mark and APC goons like Sino Melaye.
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Lionsclaw: 1:40pm On Jun 10, 2015
The yeye sagay is a leaner. It is ok if it is IMMORAL against apc but as long as it is not ILLEGAL against Nigeria it is very acceptable. Afterall a lot of apc member played the immoral card when they left pdp in the last regime.
And for goodness sake is this man a lawyer cos a 1st yr law student can do better than this. Did anyone hinder the absent senators from attending. In fact they ought to be sanctioned for not turning up for an officially scheduled duty to their country
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by quixotic: 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2015
[quote author=byrron post=34609456]Prof can lie:

The Truth:

ANOTHER LIE FROM PROF:

The Truth:

if the president didnt call the meeting why were the leaders waiting? The S.S.A on media this morning said PMB called that meeting Saraki boycotted. So please be guided
Re: Buhari Shouldn't Recognize Saraki-prof Sagay by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2015
[quote author=quixotic post=34624669][/quote]

if the president didnt call the meeting why were the leaders waiting?

The APC, apparently aiming to undercut the agreement reached between the Saraki/Dogara groups and the PDP, summoned a meeting with all senators-elect and members-elect using the name of the president, Muhammadu Buhari who had just returned from his outing at the G7 summit in Germany.

Every other statement been issued now by APC leaders is just an after thought or better still damage control.
The alleged meeting was scheduled for 9.am and saraki was sworn in by 11 am so was the president stocked up in a traffic jam for 2hrs while the summoned errand boys senators waited in vain only to dash out from the meeting venue when they hard that saraki had been sworn in?

No words from the president as a mark of courtesy to inform them that he wont be coming for the purported meeting anymore is an indicator that Mr Presidents name was fraudulently used to gather the APC senators so as to forestall the alignment of saraki with the pdp senators unfortunately, the falcon can no longer hear the falconer?

The NHA is made up of other political parties and they have a scheduled time to commence the days activity,are you now saying they should pause and wait for APC errand boys senators to come back from a party meeting while the Business of the legislative house is put on hold? HELL NO SIR. The deed has been done, making up excuses at this point makes no sense.

Nigerians are not dummies ok, they should garnish their lies and defense so that it can be tasteful to the ears.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How A Male Teacher Punished 2 Female Students: Right Or Wrong? [photo] / Acting Nimasa Dg Employs Daughter, Son In-law –pays N4.8million Transfer Allowan / Benjamin Adekunle’s Interview Sparks Hot Debates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.