Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center (17822 Views)

500L Covenant University Student Dies In School (Photo) / 500Level University Of Jos Student Dies - Jtownconnect Nigeria / Trailer Crushes LAUTECH Student To Death (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by heykims(m): 6:38am On Jun 10, 2015
The Early hours of today was thrown into confusion and chaos following the death of a 400L, Fatai Kolawole,student of Chemical Engineering,Ladoke Akintola university of Technology,Ogbomosho.

In an interview with an Eye-witness(name withheld) who was there when the tragic incident happened, Fatai Kolawole was on the pitch partaking in a match hosted by his departmental sport director(HOD's CUP)when he suddenly slumped and fell,some minutes after he was substituted for another player about ten minutes to the end of the match.immediately measures were taken to get him to the School Health Center by his colleagues,according to some eye witness, fatai kolawole was still gasping for air when they reach the health center.

On getting to the health center he was rushed in but the health workers were asking for Medical Card,but they responded to him anyway..he continued."They gave him breathing tube and tried to cajole us when they knew there was no oxygen in the cylinder.it was when they knew things were getting out of hand that they told us to rush him to Bowen Hospital Ogbomosho,few miles away from the Campus.a nurse was instructed to follow us anyway...we requested for the Health center Ambulance but we were told the driver was sent to buy food, so we hustled our way into renting a car that conveyed us.when we were on our way, we were stopped by the Sars(Special anti-robbery Squad)we tendered our urgency and they helped us clear the way to Bowen Hospital.when we got there,he was rushed inside the emergency ward with news only reaching us outside that the Doctor has certifed him dead.

We got back to Health center to report situation of things,when we met the Doctor-in-charge (named witheld) who said fatai was dead even before we brought him from the field.He continued.."That was a big lie, i was the one who caried him in my arms inside the health center and i am very sure he was still gasping for air,fighting for his dear life".

The Student Union Government Leader,Bakare Solace led a peaceful protest to the Senate building with the students chanting "we want the Vc!!! we want the vc!!! we want the vc!!!"

The school management led by the VC, Prof.Gbadegeshin gave the student till 3pm so they could have comprehensive report from the Chief medical director(Health Centre), The office of the SUG president and friends of the deceased as they haven't really gotten the autopsy report,so they couldnt really conclude on how and why the incident happened because of non-factual details reaching them.He hereby called for a meeting with the SUG excos at the Senate building which started at 3:10pm which lasted about an hour.Although investigations are still on going,The School Management asked for some time to investigate the death of Kolawole fatai morenikeji,400L Student Chemical Engineering student(Matric Number:113784)LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY

http://www.jpzmagazine.com/2015/06/from-office-of-pro-sammylovehidden.html?m=0

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by ladyteska(f): 6:50am On Jun 10, 2015
so sad...RIP to the dead
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by heykims(m): 6:51am On Jun 10, 2015
I wonder why university health centres are always not well equipped.
Sincerely, I can't blame those health workers at least they attended to them but were only incapacitated by services they couldn't provide.
Giving just an 100% oxygen in time could have just done d magic for d poor gasping Fatai.
Probe anybody in charge of oxygen supply
Sack that good for nothing ambulance driver

RIP Fatai

5 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by moscyt(m): 6:54am On Jun 10, 2015
RIP!!!
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Waspy(m): 6:54am On Jun 10, 2015
Why do pple always have this opinion that once you can manage to bring in any emmergency case into the hospital, no matter the nature and prognosis, the patient is definitely saved??

R. I. P young man

6 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by moscyt(m): 6:56am On Jun 10, 2015
May he rest in peace, too bad had it been that they routine maintenance of there equipments, they would have known the cylinder was empty!
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by sakafish(m): 6:57am On Jun 10, 2015
wat is it with our institutions sef? not too long ago, we heard the same story in UI, the authority should understand that health is wealth.... Shebi na person wey dey alive go study... d health should standardized.

weeping and morning for the dead
R. I. P to the dead... I pray you make it to heaven.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by heykims(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2015
Waspy:
Why do pple always have this opinion that once you can manage to bring in any emmergency case into the hospital, no matter the nature and prognosis, the patient is definitely saved??

R. I. P young man
But at least for emergency cases, the health workers should render emergency services and whatever outcome surfaces, we can then resign to fate.
But if no emergency life saving service is rendered, we masses should exclaim..

Cc: Ishilove lalasticlala seun

3 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by sakafish(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2015
Waspy:

R. I. P young man

it is because the hospital is supposed to do it's best to save dem..
there is 50% chance of survival for a dying patient if prompt medical attention is given. IV infusion, 100%, hydrocortisone and adrenaline does the magic!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Waspy(m): 7:09am On Jun 10, 2015
sakafish:

it is because the hospital is supposed to do it's best to save dem..
there is 50% chance of survival for a dying patient if prompt medical attention is given. IV infusion, 100%, hydrocortisone and adrenaline does the magic!!!
Magic, so you think some petty IV fluids, and corticosteroids are all every dying man needs?
Ok oooo undecided , I've heard you lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Waspy(m): 7:15am On Jun 10, 2015
heykims:

But at least for emergency cases, the health workers should render emergency services and whatever outcome surfaces, we can then resign to fate.
But if no emergency life saving service is rendered, we masses should exclaim..
I agree with you but it doesn't always work like that. Some cases are just beyond certain hospitals expertise or even beyond emergency intervention. Some are just as good as dead no matter what you do. Infact it's advisable to assist relatives or friends conserve money and resources instead of expending it. Such can be spent on the funeral undecided undecided
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by sakafish(m): 7:21am On Jun 10, 2015
Waspy:
Magic, so you think some petty IV fluids, and corticosteroids are all every dying man needs?
Ok oooo undecided , I've heard you lipsrsealed
not every man can be resuscitated but I said 50% chance.... yeah they do d magic in condition like asthma attack, severe poisoning, snake bite, severe bleeding, etc... just name it...

in this guys case oxygen and Iv fluids would av at least saved his life, me think he could av died from heart failure....
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by heykims(m): 7:32am On Jun 10, 2015
Waspy:
I agree with you but it doesn't always work like that. Some cases are just beyond certain hospitals expertise or even beyond emergency intervention. Some are just as good as dead no matter what you do. Infact it's advisable to assist relatives or friends conserve money and resources instead of expending it. Such can be spent on the funeral undecided undecided
My brother, emergency cases just as in this scenario have very good prognosis if prompt services are rendered. I'm pretty sure if 100% was administered on time to this young chap, he would have survived. He might just have had an acute asthmatic attack precipitated by exercise.
But whatever d underlying cause is, since he was gasping, it's obvious he was just oxygen starved which resulted in his death and giving oxygen would have reversed that.
Same applies to other emergencies especially in d young, timely life saving services most time will reverse the pathology
As for leaving patients to die and conserving funds for burial rites, well I know whatever ur discipline is in d medical or paramedical profession, u never made such oath.

3 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Adimine(m): 7:53am On Jun 10, 2015
Waspy:
bro, this case wasn't beyond b university health centre... They are just too lazy.. Those women behaves asif dey don't have children.... They actually took to their heels when they saw student coming... M sure if d ambulance was available they could have saved d guy's life cos, oxygen will surely be in d ambulance... Anyways RIP to the dead....
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by gulfer: 8:28am On Jun 10, 2015
Graduated from lautech many years ago and it is so sad to note the health centre is still s a me as when the school had only 300 students

2 Likes

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Skybob(m): 11:50am On Jun 10, 2015
Now Fatai is gone, a family is bereaved, a loved one lost nd whatever is done, any of these won't be reversed. We shouldn't wait for human lives to be lost before we take proactive steps. Life isn't just fair...
RIP yeh Ladokite..

Mods, pls move topic to front page..
Ishilove lalasticlala seun

1 Like

Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by DrSage(m): 12:29pm On Jun 10, 2015
Something similar to this happened in UI weeks back. Most health centres in various institutions r jst below standard. We cant afford to lose students through this factor. Those involved should look into this
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by instaforexngr(m): 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
Too bad for Lautech
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
Well done PDP. A state of emergency needs to declared in the healthcare sector. Absolutely appalling.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
RIP
May the Lord help us, with all these untimely death.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Built2last: 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
There is no school in Nigeria that has not lost students for ill-equiped clinics.

yet, no hope in view
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by chipzidar(f): 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
rip to d dead
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Matttthew(m): 1:08pm On Jun 10, 2015
Deceivers!
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 10, 2015
[/size]. Hit my signature fast and know why.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by leshluap(m): 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
so sad. RIP.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by mistayeancah(m): 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
That health center is nothing to write home about. There was a day I went for treatment, we were told that the Doctor has gone home to eat.
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by anonimi: 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2015
Ajimobi where art thou
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2015
[size=20pt]Hit my signature and be the first to know why[/size][/size]
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by KoredeBellosMum(f): 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2015
RIP
Re: Lautech Student Dies Due To Ill Equipped University Health Center by Skybob(m): 1:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
I learnt the op don chop ban grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brain Teaser: Gurus In The House Answer This Simple One!!! / Landlord Beats Up UNIZIK Nnewi Student / Unilag Transcript Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.