Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname (1564 Views)

Help!!! My Colleague Is Stealing Our Company's Money And Changing Records / My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? / Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by Gasout(m): 4:49am On Jun 11, 2015
I remembered vividly, since from my primary, secondary, Polytechnic, University, places i've worked and where I'm currently making a living and building my career. My teachers, lecturers, colleagues, my boss address me by my surname and I find a sense of happiness within me whenever i'm called by my surname.

A guy was transfer to our office some couple of weeks ago. During his induction, he was introduce as ' BANKOLE ********' (second name hidden for identity reason) to all staff. The surname is 'BANKOLE'. I observed he always caution some of his colleagues to stop addressing him by his surname rather than his middlename. Yesterday, he has this melancholy look. 'u're not looking happy Mr BANKOLE?' I asked. All of sudden, he shouted back at me, that he has warned us to stop calling him by his surname. [b]'BANkOLE is my family name; u don't call it anyhow, we accord respect to the name' [/b]ranted by my colleague. I was dismayed and I told him i'm sorry.

Now to the mature guys/men on this forum, do u get angry if address by your surname or do u prefer people call your other names than surname? Your take please
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by 42n8dzydoo(m): 4:59am On Jun 11, 2015
NO
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by bigtt76(f): 5:01am On Jun 11, 2015
It is regarded too formal and too official especially amongst close friends and colleagues undecided

1 Like

Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by Gasout(m): 5:18am On Jun 11, 2015
bigtt76:
It is regarded too formal and too official especially amongst close friends and colleagues undecided
' To formal and too official'. Redundant use of words- Tautology
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by Gasout(m): 5:19am On Jun 11, 2015
42n8dzydoo:
NO
Hmmm! Which do u prefer?
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by bist: 6:02am On Jun 11, 2015
If he says he doesn't like it, he just doesn't like it simple. You ask him which name he prefers to be addressed with.
Most pple wud even ignore u when u call 'em by a name they aint comfortable with.

Image repositioning 101.
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by bigtt76(f): 6:04am On Jun 11, 2015
OK. Noted saaaah!

Gasout:
' To formal and too official'. Redundant use of words- Tautology
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by Magician1503(m): 6:08am On Jun 11, 2015
Different strokes for different folks.
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by kennynelcon(m): 7:03am On Jun 11, 2015
He finished Uni at 17. He is still a kid
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by 42n8dzydoo(m): 8:30am On Jun 11, 2015
Gasout:
Hmmm! Which do u prefer?
My surname Na.... But most of my colleagues refer to be by my middle name.
Re: See Reason Why My Colleague Was Mad At Me Because I Called Him By His Surname by luba9876: 9:44am On Jun 11, 2015
he is just an educated illiterate. In any office or coporate organisation, a staff is adressed by his surname,not first name. if he is not comfortable with the name, he should stop bearing the name.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank / Urgent: Please Recommend A Digital Marketing Training / Marketing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.