Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,754 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: (4054 Views)

Yoruba People Help Me Out / Where Do Ikwere People Burry Married Women. Husband's House Or Father's House? / Where Do Ikwere People Burry Married Women. Husband's House Or Father's House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 11:56pm On Feb 20, 2009
Help me out . . . if you can speak Ikwere, do you mind translating this short text for me in whatever type of Ikwere you speak (assuming that there are differences in how Ikwere people in different regions speak)?

"I have been saying something about this for a long time now. If only you had been listening, this would not have happened to you. Now look. Just be glad that you are still alive. You better not forget what happened today. See yourself,  always giving people trouble."

Thanks in Advanced.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Afam4eva(m): 5:49pm On Feb 22, 2009
Do u want it in Igbo? It's the same thing.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 6:54pm On Feb 22, 2009
Actually, I'd prefer it be translated into Ikwere as opposed to general Igbo.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by comfort3: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2009
wink
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by tamme: 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2009
grin you think an Ikwerre person will do that? the thread will end up turning into igbo vs ikwerre thread

3 Likes

Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 6:34pm On Jul 11, 2009
It doesn't have to turn into that, so long as people just follow the topic. I needed an Ikwere person to help me out with the translation, because of a project that I've been working on.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Afam4eva(m): 1:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
I can't believe no single Ikwerre person has found the decency to translate that sentence. Are there no Ikwerres on Nairaland? How about Igbos that understand Ikwerre very well?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
No need, Afam. I already know the translation.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by EzePromoe: 3:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
I have my maternal home in Ikwerreland and i can tell you that most Ikwerre (85%) can't put their language into writing. I write in Ikwerre today just because i learnt Igbo language back in the days in the same Ikwerre land. I'll try and help you.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
Alright, Eze, I'll be patiently awaiting your post.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Promoe(m): 9:11am On Oct 13, 2012
I'm sorry for the delay. That mukuna of a thing banned the other of my account. It's still Eze Promoe and here's the translation of the word in Ikwerre:
'Me nuo ka ihe a n'ige mgberele, ihe meru i o ka o me i. Ngwa we leruanya. Weru oñu nu we zhi ndu. Od'oburu oma ke uku n'ihe meru taawa do gbasu ge nchefu. Le ge nye nu ucho manu uka' (Igwuruta)
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 12:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
Interesting. Two questions now:

1) Is it safe to assume that Igwuruta is your maternal home?
2) [Forgive my disbelief but] Are you saying that is how typical Igwuruta speak; using constructions like "ihe" and "o ka o me"?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by tpia5: 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2012
What was the reason for the question?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Promoe(m): 1:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
ChinenyeN: Interesting. Two questions now:

1) Is it safe to assume that Igwuruta is your maternal home?
2) [Forgive my disbelief but] Are you saying that is how typical Igwuruta speak; using constructions like "ihe" and "o ka o me"?

Of course, you'll be right if you say Igwuruta is my maternal home. And that word ihe although the same meaning but those not has the same tonal description like the pure Igbo and again it is pronounced as if there's a slight 'n' attached to it. Just like inhe but it would sound bizarre so i chose to leave it like that. As in 'o ka o me', remember the tonal structure. It's not as in Igbo meaning which interprets 'say and do' but it means 'it would not have happened' just like pure Igbo will say, 'o karo ime'
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 6:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
This just keeps getting interesting. See, I know how I would have translated it, and it would differ a bit from what you wrote. In fact, your translation makes me wonder about something.

Do you happen to know if Igwuruta and Igiri Ukwu have any kind of relationship?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Promoe(m): 11:12pm On Oct 13, 2012
ChinenyeN: This just keeps getting interesting. See, I know how I would have translated it, and it would differ a bit from what you wrote. In fact, your translation makes me wonder about something.

Do you happen to know if Igwuruta and Igiri Ukwu have any kind of relationship?

The name Igiri ukwu is extinct. But I use to know that Igwuruta was once called Igirinta (Igirita) before it was renamed to Igwuruta.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 2:20am On Oct 14, 2012
Igiri Ukwu isn't extinct. It's still there. That's why I asked. I know that the "ukwu" and "ta" (our way of saying "nta") is used for identifying parent and offshoot settlements.

I've heard that Igiri Ukwu has an offshoot settlement, and so I wanted to know if Igwuruta could be that settlement. Plus, the way you translated into Igwuruta reminds me of how parts of Asa (where Igiri Ukwu is) and Ndoki speak. So I had to ask.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by EzePromoe: 6:41pm On Oct 14, 2012
And i tell you that such name don't exist as far as Ikwerre land is concerned.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 8:18pm On Oct 14, 2012
Okay, there's a break in communication here. I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't say anything about Igiri Ukwu being in Ikwere. I said it's in Asa. Let me rephrase and see if I can better convey my previous post.

Your translation into Igwuruta reminds me of how some communities in Asa and Ndoki might speak. It also makes me wonder if your maternal home of Igwuruta (Igirita) in Ikwere has any relationship with Igiri Ukwu community in Asa. I hope this makes better sense.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by EzePromoe: 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2012
Ok, i now get your point
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 9:16pm On Oct 14, 2012
My initial question still hangs though. Do you happen to if there is any relationship? Just wondering. I'm inclined to believe that there may be, but since Igwuruta is your maternal home, I figure that you would be privileged to such information. If you don't know though, then that's fine.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by EzePromoe: 9:20pm On Oct 14, 2012
There's no relationship. undecided
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 9:49pm On Oct 14, 2012
Alright. Thanks for your response.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by EzePromoe: 8:10am On Oct 15, 2012
You're welcome
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by Abagworo(m): 7:46pm On Jun 15, 2013
Eze Promoe: I have my maternal home in Ikwerreland and i can tell you that most Ikwerre (85%) can't put their language into writing. I write in Ikwerre today just because i learnt Igbo language back in the days in the same Ikwerre land. I'll try and help you.

Okay.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by jamesversion: 1:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
ChinenyeN:
Help me out . . . if you can speak Ikwere, do you mind translating this short text for me in whatever type of Ikwere you speak (assuming that there are differences in how Ikwere people in different regions speak)?

"I have been saying something about this for a long time now. If only you had been listening, this would not have happened to you. Now look. Just be glad that you are still alive. You better not forget what happened today. See yourself,  always giving people trouble."

Thanks in Advanced.

I can translate it to you for a fee. grin You are abroad, therefore you have money. grin grin

I'd translate to Ibaa dialect.
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by RedboneSmith(m): 5:50pm On Jan 27, 2023
jamesversion:

I can translate it to you for a fee. grin You are abroad, therefore you have money. grin grin

After 13 years though?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by jamesversion: 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
RedboneSmith:

After 13 years though?

Yes. After 13years. grin grin
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2023
jamesversion:

I ka l’ezi? shocked
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by jamesversion: 11:45pm On Jan 30, 2023
ChinenyeN:

I ka l’ezi? shocked

Owéé.
Me, I only know few words in Ikwerre.

The fee is logistics money. As I'd have to travel down to the village and ask my elders to give the perfect translation.

So I will need money for fuel and money to buy elders ekamiri(local gin).

That's all. undecided
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by ChinenyeN(m): 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
jamesversion:
Owéé.
Me, I only know few words in Ikwerre.

The fee is logistics money. As I'd have to travel down to the village and ask my elders to give the perfect translation.

So I will need money for fuel and money to buy elders ekamiri(local gin).

That's all. undecided
I mala ikwu onu anu gba?
Re: Ikwere People, Help Me Out Here: by jamesversion: 12:20pm On Feb 01, 2023
ChinenyeN:

I mala ikwu onu anu gba?

Yes. I'm not fluent in Ikwerre.

In Ikwerre (Owé, mmam osu onu ikwerre k'oma.)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? / Keggites Introduce Yourself / Why Do Ijaw People Throw Their Newborns In The River?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.