Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Doctors Versus Parental Advice During Pregnancy And After Childbirth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Versus Parental Advice During Pregnancy And After Childbirth (498 Views)

Burial Of Lady Who Died During Childbirth In A Lagos Hospital (Photos) / Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) / Nigerian Lady Dies After Childbirth (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Doctors Versus Parental Advice During Pregnancy And After Childbirth by sheweezy(f): 9:45pm On Jun 11, 2015
Please i need experienced peoples advice on how to manage the conflict between doctors advice as against parental guidance for new born babies.
I am a first time mom and i have been hearing too many conflicting things. During antenatal, we were taught several things from how to treat episiotomy by sitting on WARM water and not hot or steamy water but getting home after delivery, grandmas have a different say, they say its hot water.
More So is the issue of use of drugs, doctors say don't use any drug but parents say use a lot of things.
the most annoying one is when doctors say we shouldn't give water at all if we are doing exclusive but parents believe so much in intake of water.
How does one cope in these scenarios without compromising the child's safety and also not sounding rude or disobedient.
Re: Doctors Versus Parental Advice During Pregnancy And After Childbirth by Onegai(f): 10:33pm On Jun 11, 2015
I'm totally about to be in the same boat with you right now! I believe the first thing to do is, if you're not going to take a parent's advice, don't tell them you're not. Just nod, smile and don't do it.

Another plan I'm doing is making up my team of experts: a few women whom I can trust (all related to me), one is a consultant pediatrician, another is a neonatal surgeon and one is a professional mummy. All are mothers (so their advice is tinged with great common sense). The next person on that list is my great-aunt, then my mum.

So it is a balance of new and old advise.

Try and find that team of people you can trust (not more than 3). Because every Mama Uche and Mama Buky will come with their own version of what to do, same as that your co-worker who swears this is what worked for her sister (whom you have never met). And most of it will be outdated rules, plain bad advise and some good advise which may not work in your situation.

If you feel everyone's advise is always correct, remember that on this same NL health section, some people advised treating a baby with jaundice by taking it out in the sun (never mind the fact that that particular treatment is good for mild, mild cases of jaundice, not the OP's case where his child needed phototherapy and more treatment). Good advise, wrong scenario.

The warm water is better and makes more sense. If you hurt yourself and it is throbbing in pain, which would feel better against the wound, warm, cool or hot water? That's just common sense.

(1) (Reply)

40 Days Word And Water Therapy Challenge / Learn The Most Interesting Uses Of Eggs | Guruswapers Blog / What Laziness Does To Your Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.