Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. (1478 Views)

Pastors And Controversies...kumuyi's Example / Pastor Chris' Smoke-Filled Healing Pavilion Of 1989 / Ishaq Akintola Cautions CAN, Uses TB Joshua As Example (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 9:06am On Jun 12, 2015
The Fragrance Of Christ
By James A. Stewart

When I was saved, during a mighty movement of the Spirit of God in Glasgow, Scotland, a young lady was also saved. Her name was Helen Ewan. She was just a slip of a girl, but at the very threshold of her new life in Christ, she crowned Him as absolute Lord, and was filled with the Spirit – a definite experience.

The rivers of living water simply flowed from that young girl’s life (John 7:37-39). When she died at the age of 22, all Scotland wept. I know hundreds of missionaries all over the world wept and mourned for her.

She had mastered the Russian language and was expecting to labor for God in Europe. She had no outstanding personality; she never wrote a book, nor composed a hymn; she was not a preacher, and never traveled more than 200 miles from her home. But when she died, people wrote about her life story. Although she died so early in life, she had led a great multitude to Jesus Christ.

She arose early each morning about 5 o’clock to study God’s Word, to commune, and to pray. She prayed for hundreds of missionaries. Her mother showed me her diary – one of her diaries – and there were at least 300 different missionaries for whom she was praying. It showed how God had burdened that young heart with a ministry of prayer. She had the date when she started to pray for a request and then the date when God answered her petition. She had a dynamic prayer life that moved God and moved man.

I was talking one day with two university professors in London City. We were talking about dynamic Christianity, when one of them suddenly said, "Brother Stewart, I want to tell you a story." And he told me that in Glasgow University there was a remarkable young lady, who, wherever she went on that campus, left a fragrance of Christ behind her.

For example, if the students were telling dirty stories, someone would say, "Shhh! – Helen is coming – quiet." And then she passed by and unconsciously left the power behind her. The university professor told me how in their prayer meetings they could always tell when this young lady entered the room. She did not even need to take part in the prayers. The moment she entered the room the whole of the meeting was revolutionized by the mighty power of God.

"And," said that professor, "she led many of those students to Jesus Christ." She was the greatest power for God that he ever knew in his life.

I said, "Sir, that could only be one person. That was Helen Ewan." He said that was the name of the young lady.

I have been out on the streets of Glasgow at midnight, in the awful cold winter night, giving out my tracts and doing personal soul winning, and as I have been going home, I have seen Helen Ewan with her arms around a poor, drunken harlot, and telling her of Jesus and His love.

Friends, she led a great multitude to Jesus Christ. And when I went many years later to the place of her burial, one of the grave diggers said, "Preacher, I’ll never forget when that young lady was buried here. When I was burying that body, I felt the presence of God all over this place."

One night we were all having a special evening together, young people rejoicing in the Lord, and having a good time, when my wife said, "Is that Helen Ewan’s photograph on the mantelpiece?"

Suddenly there was a dead silence, and she said, "Jim, have I said anything wrong?" All the laughing ceased, and one by one, without anybody saying a word, we dropped down on our knees and began to pray. Think of it, years after she had gone home to Heaven, her name was so powerful. Oh, friends, I believe that this spiritual life is for every child of God!

"Be filled with the Spirit" (Eph. 5:18).
(Herald Of His Coming)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 12, 2015
Scholar8200:
The Fragrance Of Christ
By James A. Stewart

When I was saved, during a mighty movement of the Spirit of God in Glasgow, Scotland, a young lady was also saved. Her name was Helen Ewan. She was just a slip of a girl, but at the very threshold of her new life in Christ, she crowned Him as absolute Lord, and was filled with the Spirit – a definite experience.

The rivers of living water simply flowed from that young girl’s life (John 7:37-39). When she died at the age of 22, all Scotland wept. I know hundreds of missionaries all over the world wept and mourned for her.

She had mastered the Russian language and was expecting to labor for God in Europe. She had no outstanding personality; she never wrote a book, nor composed a hymn; she was not a preacher, and never traveled more than 200 miles from her home. But when she died, people wrote about her life story. Although she died so early in life, she had led a great multitude to Jesus Christ.

She arose early each morning about 5 o’clock to study God’s Word, to commune, and to pray. She prayed for hundreds of missionaries. Her mother showed me her diary – one of her diaries – and there were at least 300 different missionaries for whom she was praying. It showed how God had burdened that young heart with a ministry of prayer. She had the date when she started to pray for a request and then the date when God answered her petition. She had a dynamic prayer life that moved God and moved man.

I was talking one day with two university professors in London City. We were talking about dynamic Christianity, when one of them suddenly said, "Brother Stewart, I want to tell you a story." And he told me that in Glasgow University there was a remarkable young lady, who, wherever she went on that campus, left a fragrance of Christ behind her.

For example, if the students were telling dirty stories, someone would say, "Shhh! – Helen is coming – quiet." And then she passed by and unconsciously left the power behind her. The university professor told me how in their prayer meetings they could always tell when this young lady entered the room. She did not even need to take part in the prayers. The moment she entered the room the whole of the meeting was revolutionized by the mighty power of God.

"And," said that professor, "she led many of those students to Jesus Christ." She was the greatest power for God that he ever knew in his life.

I said, "Sir, that could only be one person. That was Helen Ewan." He said that was the name of the young lady.

I have been out on the streets of Glasgow at midnight, in the awful cold winter night, giving out my tracts and doing personal soul winning, and as I have been going home, I have seen Helen Ewan with her arms around a poor, drunken harlot, and telling her of Jesus and His love.

Friends, she led a great multitude to Jesus Christ. And when I went many years later to the place of her burial, one of the grave diggers said, "Preacher, I’ll never forget when that young lady was buried here. When I was burying that body, I felt the presence of God all over this place."

One night we were all having a special evening together, young people rejoicing in the Lord, and having a good time, when my wife said, "Is that Helen Ewan’s photograph on the mantelpiece?"

Suddenly there was a dead silence, and she said, "Jim, have I said anything wrong?" All the laughing ceased, and one by one, without anybody saying a word, we dropped down on our knees and began to pray. Think of it, years after she had gone home to Heaven, her name was so powerful. Oh, friends, I believe that this spiritual life is for every child of God!

(Herald Of His Coming)
Booring!!!

1 Like

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by malvisguy212: 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2015
crusadistic:
Booring!!!
exactly, when I was an unbeliever I find it hard to read just one verse in the bible. But by the time the spirit convicted me of my sin, I read the whole of psalm and the four gospel many more still, I was hunger for more.

3 Likes

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2015
malvisguy212:
exactly, when I was an unbeliever I find it hard to read just one verse in the bible. But by the time the spirit convicted me of my sin, I read the whole of psalm and the four gospel many more still, I was hunger for more.
abeg use pidgin grin grin grin
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 03, 2015
crusadistic:
Booring!!!
10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand. 11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. 12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. 16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 5:02pm On May 11, 2017
God has not changed; the Blessing is not limited to tongues

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by ChiomaMee: 5:07pm On May 11, 2017
Scholar8200:
The Fragrance Of Christ
By James A. Stewart

(Herald Of His Coming)

I'm moved by this. Help me to do more for you Lord. Help me. cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 9:21pm On May 11, 2017
That's right it was all about Helen (and now, anybody) not Christ. That's how we know false gospels and Spirits.
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 3:29pm On May 13, 2017
An2elect2:
That's right it was all about Helen (and now, anybody) not Christ. That's how we know false gospels and Spirits.
and learn from those who follow our example.Phil. 3:17b . Was the writer of that epistle inspired by the Spirit of God or a false spirit? and when Luke used close to 2 chapters to capture the life of Stephen, was that also about Christ? or was he also influenced by a false spirit?

Indeed, when Jesus said that the deed of the woman that washed His feet with tears will be mentioned as a memorial where the Gospel is preached, was He mistaken?

There are many whose experience of grace dwarfs ours and challenges us to receive more from Him by Whom Grace and Truth came.

It's best to weigh your words carefully before typing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 6:22pm On May 13, 2017
Scholar8200:

and learn from those who follow our example.Phil. 3:17b . Was the writer of that epistle inspired by the Spirit of God or a false spirit? and when Luke used close to 2 chapters to capture the life of Stephen, was that also about Christ? or was he also influenced by a false spirit?

Indeed, when Jesus said that the deed of the woman that washed His feet with tears will be mentioned as a memorial where the Gospel is preached, was He mistaken?

There are many whose experience of grace dwarfs ours and challenges us to receive more from Him by Whom Grace and Truth came.

It's best to weigh your words carefully before typing.
I forgot its you! Another Freewiller! These are the kinds of false Spirits we receive when we reject the truth.
This story of a strange woman with strange experience that has no resemblance with the life of the saints in the Bible who also had the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Unlike "Righteous Helen" the Spirit they received revealed Christ to them not turning them into some strange beings to be reverred.

God has called us to make disciples after Him and not ourselves like your Helen.

Pls what is more demonic than this quote that ascribes power to Helen's name?

Suddenly there was a dead silence, and she said, "Jim, have I said anything wrong?" All the laughing ceased, and one by one, without anybody saying a word, we dropped down on our knees and began to pray. Think of it, years after she had gone home to Heaven, her name was so powerful.

"Her name was so powerful" What blasphemy. Was Paul's name powerful? Was Peter's name powerful? Was Stephen's name powerful?

These apostles of God did not make disciples after themselves but after Christ. We are to follow suit. Preach Christ who alone has all power and by whose name alone every knee should bow. And not turn ourselves into "special beings" or "special Christs" and take God's glory.

Do not be deceived. Test all Spirits. I have not spoken out of hatred but out of great concern. Weigh my words with the Bible and you will see I am not lying.
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 7:07pm On May 13, 2017
An2elect2:
I forgot its you! Another Freewiller! These are the kinds of false Spirits we receive when we reject the truth.
This story of a strange woman with strange experience that has no resemblance with the life of the saints in the Bible who also had the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Unlike "Righteous Helen" the Spirit they received revealed Christ to them not turning them into some strange beings to be reverred.

God has called us to make disciples after Him and not ourselves like your Helen.

Pls what is more demonic than this quote that ascribes power to Helen's name?

"Her name was so powerful" What blasphemy. Was Paul's name powerful? Was Peter's name powerful? Was Stephen's name powerful?

These apostles of God did not make disciples after themselves but after Christ. We are to follow suit. Preach Christ who alone has all power and by whose name alone every knee should bow. And not turn ourselves into "special beings" or "special Christs" and take God's glory.

Do not be deceived. Test all Spirits. I have not spoken out of hatred but out of great concern. Weigh my words with the Bible and you will see I am not lying.

ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 8:16pm On May 13, 2017
Scholar8200:
ok
Don't forget this...

1 Like

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 3:05pm On May 30, 2017
An2elect2:
Don't forget this...
Why didnt you quote Christ directly?

2 Likes

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 8:17pm On May 30, 2017
An2elect2:
Don't forget this...
even a demon/demons professed... "Paul I know"... (with respect to your earlier post)

2 Likes

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 8:22pm On May 30, 2017
God Almighty professed himself the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... do you know the implication of that as it relates to the said characters? pls drop all bigotry, no one is trying to belittle Christ here except maybe you @my quote above...

2 Likes

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 2:04pm On May 31, 2017
Scholar8200:
Why didnt you quote Christ directly?
The truth is the truth. Don't go beyond what is written for your own good. Asking me why I didn't quote Christ is a subtle way of dodging the truth. I have told you try all spirits before you start recommending them for others.
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 2:06pm On May 31, 2017
sonofthunder:
God Almighty professed himself the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... do you know the implication of that as it relates to the said characters? pls drop all bigotry, no one is trying to belittle Christ here except maybe you @my quote above...
God of Abraham or God of anybody still gives God all the glory. The God of Abraham should cause us to repent not the name of Abraham.
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 2:08pm On May 31, 2017
sonofthunder:

even a demon/demons professed... "Paul I know"... (with respect to your earlier post)
Did you say a demon?

When there was division in the Corinthian church about whom to follow what was Paul's reply? If you don't know please be diligent enough to search it out yourself
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 7:24pm On May 31, 2017
An2elect2:
Did you say a demon?

When there was division in the Corinthian church about whom to follow what was Paul's reply? If you don't know please be diligent enough to search it out yourself
same apostle said ...follow me as I follow Christ...

2 Likes

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 7:26pm On May 31, 2017
An2elect2:
God of Abraham or God of anybody still gives God all the glory. The God of Abraham should cause us to repent not the name of Abraham.
and who was giving glory to anyone else... you were the one magnifying events to what no one said them to be...

1 Like

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 9:02pm On May 31, 2017
sonofthunder:

and who was giving glory to anyone else... you were the one magnifying events to what no one said them to be...
Look up and see how "powerful" the said woman's name is
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by An2elect2(f): 9:04pm On May 31, 2017
sonofthunder:

same apostle said ...follow me as I follow Christ...
Please follow Paul as he magnified Christ and not Paul or Paul's name. Take care
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 1:41am On Jun 01, 2017
An2elect2:
Please follow Paul as he magnified Christ and not Paul or Paul's name. Take care
hmmm......
Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by Scholar8200(m): 8:02am On Jun 01, 2017
Reading that post up there sans a jaundiced eye quickly reveals that the author was referring to the memories her name recalls. Afterall, neither the author nor the op bids us pray or base our faith in her name!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Example Of Being Spirit - Filled. by sonofthunder: 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2017
Scholar8200:
Reading that post up there sans a jaundiced eye quickly reveals that the author was referring to the memories her name recalls. Afterall, neither the author nor the op bids us pray or base our faith in her name!
I think I know someone who may not agree...

(1) (Reply)

An Overwhelming Testimony / The Role Of The Church In Nation Building #1 / Labour To Enter His Rest ( Hebrews 4:11 ) - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.