Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,044 members, 7,828,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Why Onions Make You Cry - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Onions Make You Cry (894 Views)

Do You Know You Can Use Onions To Ascertain If You Are Pregnant / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate / What Can Make You Treat Your Pen This Way? #Hilarious photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Onions Make You Cry by Dioxidane: 9:12pm On Jun 13, 2015
For those of us who cook, most times we experience teary eyes when we cut an onion bulb. Have you ever wondered why this is so?

Well, when an onion bulb is cut, it's cells are broken, thereby releasing their contents. Amino acids and sulfoxides form sulphenic acids. Enzymes that were kept separate in different layers now freely mix with the sulphenic acid to produce PROPANETHIOL S - OXIDE, a volatile sulphur compound that wafts upwards towards your eyes when the onion bulb is cut. The gas reacts with the water in your tears to form sulphuric acid.

And as usual, sulphuric acid burns, which causes more tears
to wash the irritation away. This same principle is applied in the production of tear gas.

This phenomenon can be prevented by freezing the onions before cutting. It slows down the reaction and changes the chemistry of the onions. It can also be prevented by cutting the onions under water.

Henceforth, onions shouldn't make you cry...

Dioxidane

4 Likes

Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by INTROVERT(f): 9:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
Chew guw while slicing and you won't cry.
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by vickysunmomi(f): 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for that Dioxidane
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by Dioxidane: 9:21pm On Jun 13, 2015
INTROVERT:
Chew guw while slicing and you won't cry.

Wow... Never heard of that. For real?
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by Dioxidane: 9:22pm On Jun 13, 2015
vickysunmomi:
Thanks for that Dioxidane

Uwc dearie...
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by drey08(m): 9:25pm On Jun 13, 2015
ONE DAY I WILL MAKE THE ONIONS CRY
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by Princecalm(m): 9:30pm On Jun 13, 2015
does tears really mean one is crying?
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by taiwo09: 9:33pm On Jun 13, 2015
triopele, or tetramessi...whats my own grin
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by firstolalekan(m): 9:46pm On Jun 13, 2015
grin
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by Firstinline(m): 10:38pm On Jun 13, 2015
at O.P, could any of those chemicals u mentioned be dangerous to the eyes. I mean could it have a negative effect on the eye either immediately or after a long time.?
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by IdeeEsperanza(m): 9:37pm On Jun 14, 2015
I was here
Re: Why Onions Make You Cry by Dioxidane: 10:12pm On Jun 14, 2015
Firstinline:
at O.P, could any of those chemicals u mentioned be dangerous to the eyes. I mean could it have a negative effect on the eye either immediately or after a long time.?

No... There has not been any case report of permanent eye damage due to exposure to onion...

(1) (Reply)

How To Defer NOUN Admision? / Project Topics And Materials In Management / MSBTE Time Table Winter 2015 For 1st 3rd 5th Semester

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.