Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,597 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? (6716 Views)

How To Differentiate A Scam Website From A Legit Website. / How To Recover Your Wordpress Site After Being Hacked / My Wordpress Website Has Being Hacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by agborodun: 8:34am On Jun 17, 2015
Hello gurus in the house,just as you people has developed a lot of people into starting up website(I say God bless you for that), I think there is a great need to discuss here how to protect such website against the preying eyes of the Oga patapata hackers(I hail o).
What are the ways of protecting a website?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by theplushist: 9:01am On Jun 17, 2015
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by agborodun: 10:11am On Jun 17, 2015
I think we should share it here for the benefit of others. Thanks for your response.
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Dmayor7(m): 10:12am On Jun 17, 2015
Fighting crime and website hacking should be a continious process because as days goes on new inventions and tricks are created...

That being said...

Purchase an SSL certificate for your website url...

Never use "Admin" as your username....

Always choose a strong password, a password that is alphanumeric and contains spaces too.....

Install Askimet or some other security software for your site...

Make sure you have a double authentication in your login....

Never store confidentail codes in your mobile or computers in case it is compromised either by having legal or illegal access to it.....

Change your passwords at least once in a month.....

If you have a membership site or forum, ensure that your members stick to having strong passwords...

Install a Captcha....

If you are using wordpress, ensure you always update your plugins and software anytime an update is avalaible....

If you are a webmaster write cleaner codes, also remove your comments before uploading your website files so it woun't be damn easy for alliens to hack it up....

And the best of all...

Use your common sense!!!!!!!!!.....

Common sense are called common but it is not common indeed!

The Great Gandhi said: Do not believe anything that doesn't agree with your common sense, even if i said it.

Now in the other side....

One should never be afraid of a hacker, in fact you actually need to feel at home with him or her.

Hackers nowadays can be liken to most Nigerian police....we fear Naija police while the ought to be our friend....simply because of corruption and greediness.

Why do i said this?...

The word Hacker used not to be associated with negative things...

Actually the word Hacker stands for a self-taught computer geek.

Then what went wrong?....

Something must have terribly gone wrong!.....

But did you ever take a look behind the eyes of a hacker?

Have you ever wondered what made him tick?

I bet you will find out it is not what you think when you read this post on how[url=w3programs.com/a-hacker-explains-why/] A Hacker Explains Why[/url]

Also you will realise that Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Paul Allen and a bunch of others are Hackers when visit this link on [url=w3programs.com/do-you-know-who-the-real-hackers-are-know-how-it-all-started-now/]know who the real hackers are and how it all started[/url]

Pew!.... seriously like flew!

Things about security doesn't alway look good.... It is always a marathon race...

Anyways...

Here is also my post on BASIC WORDPRESS SAFETY TIPS: Keep Your WordPress Site
Secure from Bad Guys and Website hackers!

Just a simple and good safety tip for only you

Have a great day dear....

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 17, 2015
padlock and key

1 Like

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 17, 2015
Make it too easy to hack and no one will give a damn

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by aaamos(m): 11:18am On Jun 17, 2015
;
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by elohorayodele: 11:18am On Jun 17, 2015
hire an ethical hacker

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Chukwutobi: 11:18am On Jun 17, 2015
Use Jetpack Plugin

It helps!

1 Like

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by timbs001(m): 11:19am On Jun 17, 2015
Above All , Guide against SQL injection. I repeat, guard against Sql injection.

Make sure parameters that form part of your sql queries are properly escaped before running the query against your DB.
You can loose a whole database though sql injection.

Others:
XSS
CSRF requires you to filter user input properly before displaying on the web page

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by KuliMart: 11:20am On Jun 17, 2015
Use cloudflare or the likes. Very important.

There are many measures you can take out there.
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by bennydaniel878: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2015
Good to know

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by ITbomb(m): 11:22am On Jun 17, 2015
How do you shut down a blog after you sense an attack.

How long will it take for mama Google to respond to distress calls
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by yomalex(m): 11:22am On Jun 17, 2015
Common sense
Alphanumeric
Recommend Ithemes Security for Wordpress
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Amastermovic(m): 11:24am On Jun 17, 2015
Dmayor7:
Fighting crime and website hacking should be a continious process because as days goes on new inventions and tricks are created...

That being said...

Always choose a strong password, a password that is alphanumeric and contains spaces too.....

Never store confidentail codes in your mobile or computers in case it is compromised either by having legal or illegal access to it.....

If you have a membership site or forum, ensure that your members stick to having strong passwords...

Install a Captcha....

If you are using wordpress, ensure you always update your plugins and software anytime an update is avalaible....

If you are a webmaster write cleaner codes, also remove your comments before uploading your website files so it woun't be damn easy for alliens to hack it up....

And the best of all...

The Great Gandhi said: Do not believe anything that doesn't agree with your common sense, even if i said it.

One should never be afraid of a hacker, in fact you actually need to feel at home with him or her.

Hackers nowadays can be liken to most Nigerian police....we fear Naija police while the ought to be our friend....simply because of corruption and greediness.

Why do i said this?...

I bet you will find out it is not what you think when you read this post on how[url=w3programs.com/a-hacker-explains-why/] A Hacker Explains Why[/url]

Also you will realise that Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Paul Allen and a bunch of others are Hackers when visit this link on [url=w3programs.com/do-you-know-who-the-real-hackers-are-know-how-it-all-started-now/]know who the real hackers are and how it all started[/url]

Things about security doesn't alway look good.... It is always a marathon race...

Anyways...

Here is also my post on [url=w3programs.com/basic-wordpress-safety-tips-keep-your-wordpress-site-secure-from-bad-guys-and-website-hackers/]BASIC WORDPRESS SAFETY TIPS: Keep Your WordPress Site
Secure from Bad Guys and Website hackers![/url]

Just a simpleand good safety tip for only you

wink
Dmayor7:

That being said...

Install a Captcha....

And the best of all...

Why do i said this?...

Anyways...

Here is also my post on [url=w3programs.com/basic-wordpress-safety-tips-keep-your-wordpress-site-secure-from-bad-guys-and-website-hackers/]BASIC WORDPRESS SAFETY TIPS: Keep Your WordPress Site
Secure from Bad Guys and Website hackers![/url]

Just a simpleand good safety tip for only you

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by justi4jesu(f): 11:25am On Jun 17, 2015
ITbomb:
How do you shut down a blog after you sense an attack.

How long will it take for mama papa Google cheesy to respond to distress calls
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by telim: 11:27am On Jun 17, 2015
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by daamazing(m): 11:28am On Jun 17, 2015
PRAY TO GOD
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by emmabest2000(m): 11:30am On Jun 17, 2015
Hmmm... Simple block the door nah..

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by omoadeleye(m): 11:31am On Jun 17, 2015
K
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by southwestngr: 11:32am On Jun 17, 2015
A website can get hacked in my ways,

1. Script Level - This is when you write a bad script or your script is vulnerable to many security flaws like SQL Injection, Cross site Attack e.t.c.

SOLUTION: Try write a secure script.

2. Software Level- This is when you are using an outdated software.

SOLUTION: Always update software as at when due.

3. Network Level - This is the most difficult and the most damaging hack I can think about, If you like write a secure script even if you all your software are upto date, If an attacker/hacker can get into your server or up stream provider that is the end. (na to delete your ), this happens to Nairaland off recent.

SOLUTION: Always choose a reliable and competent hosting provider with good server management records.

FOR COMPANY WITH MANY DEVELOPERS.
Dont give too much access to your developers, they might leave at any time.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by wethebest(m): 11:36am On Jun 17, 2015
code urself
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by mathskill: 11:44am On Jun 17, 2015
Old boy even the pentagon was hacked
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by eromspete(m): 11:44am On Jun 17, 2015
The truth (my opinion) is no security is enough. There is no webpage in the world that is hackproof. You can only invest in security technologies and hope that you do not fall victim to an attack. #Goodluck cool

1 Like

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by jerflakes(m): 11:55am On Jun 17, 2015
Servers get hacked, not websites.
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by ichommy(m): 12:03pm On Jun 17, 2015
Keneking:
padlock and key
Clown grin
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Aybis(f): 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2015
Ok...

POINT TAKEN

wink smiley
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 17, 2015
To protect your website from hacking is a thing of prayer. Just pray make them no make you target. grin Ask NSA and SONY, Microsoft, they where all hacked this year, Google it. Even North-Korea suffered national Internet outage for almost 2days when it was their turn... X3D
Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Laide20(m): 12:52pm On Jun 17, 2015
I don't think there's a way to secure your account cos even the American security websites and Other famous websites do get hacked. THE ONLY WAY TO SECURE YOUR ACCOUNT IS NOT CREATING IT.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? by Rick9(m): 1:10pm On Jun 17, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tips / What Makes A Successful Blog? / Mysql: Cannot Connect To Mysql, Access Denied For Root@localhost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.