Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,246 members, 7,811,691 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. (61053 Views)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier - 1 - 0 (Full Time) / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) / Korea DPR Vs Nigeria 3 - 0 :FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:35am On Nov 08, 2015
........continue
[b][size=14pt]
We will fight to the end – Basetsana
[/size]

Thembi Kgatlana © Gallo Images

MM: Coming to you personally, you have been getting accolades off the field. Tell us about that.
TK: It is my first year at the University of Western Cape and for me to win these awards is amazing. I still can’t believe it. The first one was when I got full colours for playing for the national team. The next was the big one – UWC Sportswoman of the Year where I was competing against a hockey player but I came out tops after the votes. A week later I was invited to the Student Development Awards where students are rewarded for being able to balance the academic side and the sporting side. I was up against a boxer, who was coincidentally the Sportsman of the Year, and I walked away with the Overall Achiever Award. There is another one coming up soon - I have been nominated for the Players Player of the Year Award and we will see how it goes, but the focus for now is on Nigeria on Sunday. The award will come after because nothing means more than qualifying for the World Cup.

MM: How is it balancing academia and sport?
TK: It is very difficult, but it is all up in the mind. You have to tell yourself that you want to do this, this is what you want and this is where I want to go. The other day at the awards we had a motivational speaker who said ‘as a person you need to draw up a contract with yourself, tell yourself this is me and this is what I want, but for me to get what I want it is going to require hard work’ and what that means is that if you want to be one of the best players you need to train hard, and equally if you want to graduate you have to study hard – nothing comes easy in life, you are not going to be given free marks and a pass because you play for the national team. A balancing act is very important, but you need to stick to it so you can achieve your goals.

MM: What are you studying at UWC?
TK: I am studying for a BA degree in Tourism Management. Three more years before I graduate. But I have a feeling next year is going to be a bit tough, more so should we qualify for the World Cup with Basetsana, seeing that Banyana Banyana has already qualified for the Olympics. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

MM: How important is education for players?
TK: It is very important because the truth is you can’t play the game forever. Tomorrow you get an injury and you have nothing to fall back on. It is great for players to study and play at an early stage, however difficult it is but at the end of it all it is worth it. The challenge with focusing on the game only is that once you stop playing it is more often than not a challenge to go into education, as the urge is not there anymore.

MM: Who is Thembi Kgatlana?
TK: I am from the West of Johannesburg, a place called Mohlakeng near Randfontein. I don’t want to boast but I come from a place that has produced football stars like Ace Ntsoelengoe, Didi Khuse, Oupa Manyisa, Edward Manqele, Pule Ekstein, to mention but a few. I grew up playing with boys since I was eight years old.

MM: The national team?
TK: I started playing for the national team in 2010 after being called up for the under-20 trials but I started at the under-17 where I played for two years. I went to the High Performance Centre (HPC) in Pretoria, spending three years there and now I am at UWC. My first goal was against Botswana earlier this year. In fact I scored two in that game. They were very special goals for me.

MM: Dreams and aspirations?
TK: I would love to play overseas some day for a big team like Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea and hopefully it would be after I graduate from my studies.

MM: Any message to the fans?
TK: We would love them to come out in numbers to cheer us on in this important mission. With their support in the stands we have a good chance of defeating Nigeria.

We will do the best we can to achieve the best results for our country. It is going to be tough but we have the will and belief to come out victorious. Nigeria must know that we are going to war, we will not make it easy for them. We will fight with everything we have to the end to reach our goal of going to the World Cup.
[/b]

www.supersport.com/football/article.aspx?Id=3271254
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:47am On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA U-20 WWC: Falconets face Besetsana heat
[/size]
Nigeria’s Under-20 women team, the Falconets face a tough test in their intention to qualify for FIFA Women World Cup in Papua New Guinea as they square up against their South African opponets this afternoon at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa.

The South Africans were offered a boost in the first leg decided in Abuja, where the Falconnets laboured to a 2-1 win. Today the Nigerian girls have to play for a win or a draw to qualify, a lesser result will see them missing the tournament for the first time, while for the South Africans it will be the first time ever for them to make an appearance. Nigeria has played in the tournament since 2002 and in 2010 in Germany, the Falconnets lost 1-0 to the hosts.

The Germans also returned to haunt the Falconnets with the same margin in the 2014 final in Canada.

Falconnets coach, Peter Dedebvo stated that his wards are prepared for the match and they are sure of picking up the ticket.

“if South Africa can come here and score one against us, we can go to South Africa and score two against them,” he said.

Basetsana forward, Thembi Kgatlana said the match was very important and they cannot afford to slip up against the visiting Nigerian girls.

“We are on the verge of making history. We have a chance of helping this team qualify for the Under-20 Women’s World Cup for the first time ever. This could help see some changes in women’s football, and a lot of people could perhaps start investing in the sport. Maybe players could get contracts overseas as well. We have set ourselves a goal – this is what we want as a team, and I believe we will get that result.”
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/fifa-u-20-wwc-falconets-face-besetsana-heat/
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:50am On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sanusi tasks Falconets on WC ticket
[/size]

Mohammed Sanusi © thenff.com

by Humphrey Njoku
NFF general secretary, Mohammed Sanusi has called on Falconets to fight hard for the 2016 Fifa U-20 Women's World Cup ticket against South Africa’s Basetsana in Johannesburg.

The African qualifying final round fixture between both countries is delicately poised after the Falconets won the first leg 2-1 in Abuja meaning Sunday’s clash at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa on the suburbs of South Africa’s commercial and industrial capital will be explosive.

Sanusi, who is with the Falconets in South Africa, said on Saturday that the reigning world vice champions must fight hard from the first blast of the whistle till the end.

"You must go out there on Sunday to prove that Nigeria’s pedigree in women football is no fluke.

"South Africa also invest big in women’s football and recently qualified for next year’s Olympics but the truth is no African country has achieved what Nigeria achieved in the women’s game.

“As reigning world vice champions we must go out and prove our superiority on the field tomorrow (Sunday).

The ticket to Papua New Guinea is a must as Nigerians back home are expecting you to book your flight to that country for the final tournament," said Sanusi to www.thenff.com.

The Falconets take on the Basetsana South African on Sunday and coach Peter Dedevbo says his side will approach it like a ‘Cup final'.

“The result from the first leg is in the past and we don’t dwell in the past. On Sunday our objective is to go all out and grab the World Cup ticket," said Dedevbo.

The Falconets have never failed to qualify for the Fifa U-20 Women’s World Cup since it was launched in Canada 13 years ago with two runners-up positions (2010 and 2014), fourth place finish in 2012 and quarterfinal berths in Thailand (2004), Russia (2006) and Chile (2008).
[/b]

www.supersport.com/football/article.aspx?Id=3271464
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:09am On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
Nigeria’s Under-20 women team, the Falconets face a tough test in their intention to qualify for FIFA Women World Cup in Papua New Guinea as they square up against their South African opponets this afternoon at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa.

The South Africans were offered a boost in the first leg decided in Abuja, where the Falconnets laboured to a 2-1 win. Today the Nigerian girls have to play for a win or a draw to qualify, a lesser result will see them missing the tournament for the first time, while for the South Africans it will be the first time ever for them to make an appearance. Nigeria has played in the tournament since 2002 and in 2010 in Germany, the Falconnets lost 1-0 to the hosts.

The Germans also returned to haunt the Falconnets with the same margin in the 2014 final in Canada.

Falconnets coach, Peter Dedebvo stated that his wards are prepared for the match and they are sure of picking up the ticket.

“if South Africa can come here and score one against us, we can go to South Africa and score two against them,” he said.

Basetsana forward, Thembi Kgatlana said the match was very important and they cannot afford to slip up against the visiting Nigerian girls.

“We are on the verge of making history. We have a chance of helping this team qualify for the Under-20 Women’s World Cup for the first time ever. This could help see some changes in women’s football, and a lot of people could perhaps start investing in the sport. Maybe players could get contracts overseas as well. We have set ourselves a goal – this is what we want as a team, and I believe we will get that result.”
[/b]

Also in a related development

[b][size=14pt]
2016 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup - Qualifiers
Ethiopia dreaming of historic U-20 spot
[/size]
Ethiopia has set sights on becoming one of the two African representatives for the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup when they face Ghana in the second leg of the final round qualifier on Sunday in Kumasi.

The first leg in Addis Ababa a fortnight ago ended 2-2 and Ethiopia coach, Asrat Abate reckons his side has all the necessary weapons to triumph over Ghana’s Black Princesses, which has qualified for every edition of the global championship since 2010, when the two sides lock horns in Ghana’s second biggest city, Kumasi.

“After the first leg, we have prepared well for the return encounter. We have had enough time to rectify some of our mistakes from the first leg, and I’m certain that those mistakes won’t be repeated. It has been tough to play 3 continental games in 13 days. Nonetheless, the players have shown they are robust for the test,” said Abate.

“The Ghana team is comprised of experienced players. We are a bit inexperienced but that doesn’t mean we are going to be a walkover. The players are so eager to win the game away from home. This side has a better record compared to their predecessors and we want to make history by beating Ghana to serve an inspiration to women’s football in Ethiopia.”

Striker Loza Abera, whose six goals have fuelled the Ethiopians journey in the qualifiers, is hoping to add to her tally against their hosts and aid their historic qualification.

“Our preparation has been good and we have improved on our weak points. Albeit, I have scored all of Ethiopia’s goals in the campaign, the result we have achieved thus far has been due to the collective effort of the team. I hope to score in Kumasi and steer the team to victory and qualification,” said the young striker.

Ethiopia has yet to qualify for a global women’s football tournament and Abera and her colleagues are hoping to write their own piece of history this time.
The winner of the tie will qualify for the final tournament in Papua New Guinea next year.

South Africa will host Nigeria in the other qualifier also on Sunday in Tembisa, near Johannesburg. The Nigerians have a 2-1 advantage from the first leg.

The West Africans have an enviable record of being the only African side to have participated at every edition of the biennial competition since the maiden edition in 2002 in Canada. They were also losing finalists in 2010 and 2014, losing to Germany on both occasions.

Fixtures
Sunday, 8 November 2015
Ghana vs Ethiopia (2-2)
South Africa vs Nigeria (1-2)
[/b]

www.cafonline.com/en-us/competitions/wwc-qu202016/news.aspx/NewsDetails?id=T40SWqfWhU4PBcfhKgs2Nw%3d%3d

**Modified**
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by denniece1(m): 2:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
South Africa 0-1 Nigeria 20' (ihezuo)

Source: @thenff

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by lakesidepapa(m): 2:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

[/b]

It's nw 3:24pm nw in SA, the match don start since 3 abeg update us

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
SA 0-1 Nigeria. Ihezuo scored in the 16th minute

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 08, 2015
FT: SA 0-1 Nigeria. Nigeria win 3-1 on aggregate.

Congrats to the Falconets!

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:27pm On Nov 08, 2015

Congrats to our able Falconets, Pupua Guinea 2016 here we go.
Very big Gbusaaa to all of you who kept giving us updates.

I was so busy throughout the day, but you chose to do the needful.
lakesidepapa, denniece1, CFCfan, and very many others. You guys are the real fans of these guys.

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2016 FIFA U-20 World Cup FALCONETS Qualifiers

Falconets Qualify For Pupua 2016 FIFA U-20 World Cup
[/size]
By Abideen Owolabi

Nigeria’s U-20 girls, Falconets fought hard and with discipline, and earned a ticket to the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup on Sunday when beating South Africa 1-0 in Johannesburg.

The fixture was delicately poised after the Basetsana got a penalty in added time that they scored in the first leg in Nigeria, reducing the Falconets win to 2-1.

However, Falconets Coach, Peter Dedevbo’s gameplan worked as he sent out an attacking side at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa – venue of the Super Falcons’ triumph in the African Women Championship in 2004.

Nigeria dominated the early exchanges and it was no surprise when striker Chinwendu Ihezuo (top scorer at the 2012 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in Azerbaijan) scored from a pull –out by defender Mary Ologbosere in the 16th minute to increase the Falconets’ aggregate advantage.

South Africa continued to fight but the Falconets held on till the end, and will be one of Africa’s two flagbearers at next year’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Papua New Guinea.

At the end, Coach Dedevbo said: “Our ability on the African continent has never been in doubt. We had a gameplan and stuck to it till the end.

“Our objective now should be to start preparing towards winning the World Cup next year.”
[/b]

soccerparole.com/falconets-qualify-for-2016-fifa-u-20-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by lakesidepapa(m): 6:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
terzurum5:

Congrats to our able Falconets, Pupua Guinea 2016 here we go.
Very big Gbusaaa to all of you who kept giving us updates.

I was so busy throughout the day, but you chose to do the needful.
lakesidepapa, denniece1, CFCfan, and very many others. You guys are the real fans of these guys.

Yes. It have always been our right smiley ..... May the girls claim the glory they lost 2years ago to germany in equatorial guinea next year. Amen IJN.
God bless falconet
God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by enomakos(m): 8:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Yes. It have always been our right smiley ..... May the girls claim the glory they lost 2years ago to germany in equatorial guinea next year. Amen IJN.
God bless falconet
God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria.
it is papua new guinea bro

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by enomakos(m): 8:35pm On Nov 08, 2015
Congrats ladies

it is about time we win the u-20 women world cup,no germany can stop us this time

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Basetsana lament poor finishing
[/size]

Basetsana coach Elisabeth Migchelsen and captain Amogelang Motau felt the team paid the price for poor finishing in their defeat to Nigeria in a Women's U-20 World Cup qualifier.

Basetsana were denied a spot at the FIFA showpiece after losing 1-0 to the Falconets in Tembisa on Sunday, having gone down 2-1 in the first leg at Abuja National Stadium on October 24.

Migchelsen said: "I think we were the better team but ja we were not clinical enough. With the little chances you get, you don't win this game if you don't take them.

"If you are not alert for once second and you concede, it is a part of sport, it is a part of football."
She added: "If you don't score goals and you have chances, this is the outcome."

Motau said: "We prepared well as a team. We were not clinical when we got chances up front but you saw we worked hard as a team.

"I want to say to Nigeria I wish them well in representing Africa at the World Cup."
[/b]

www.kickoff.com/mobile/news/60327/basetsana-lament-poor-finishing-following-defeat-to-nigeria-in-a-womens-u-20-world-cup-qualifier

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2016 Pupua Guinea FIFA U20 Women World Cup Qualifiers.
Aftermath of Falconets Defeat of Basetsana of South Africa
[/size]
Top Comments

willesdenman25 minutes ago
S.A. is making giant strides in female football and we in Nigeria have to be careful I future. The basetsana was the better team today. If the basetsana coach could work more on the girl's finishing, the basetsana will rule Africa in the near future.Kudos to the two team.
Like Reply

proudly9ja40 minutes ago
Wow! there are 3 outstanding players for me in this match and they are all South Africans. This number "6" Number "10" and the white girl. They are very good footballers. Hard luck indeed. Maybe because it is us NIGERIA.
Like Reply

dwinky2 (Pierats are minnows in Caf and PSL)40 minutes ago
Tactically the coach was clueless and yet had the audacity to blame a player on National tv for goodness sake. What happened to being a coach who protects her playas u bloody Jan van Riebek descendant. How can u tell playas to float the ball against tall defenders, what were you expecting? Bloody agent!

My name is Dwinky Dwhnky...
Namanje
Dkay walikhosi1 hour ago
hard luck

What is your take on these comments and all other lovers of female football in Nigeria

CC: orkpekyandega, CFCfan, Icon4s, Icon4ss. lakesidepapa, denniece1, orkpekyandega, CFCfan, enomakos, jieta, denniece1, humberjade, Danycrusoe, etc.etc.
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Danycrusoe(m): 8:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
We Have To Improve And Scout For More Talents Because The Women's Game Is Really Improving In Africa Others Are Catching Up With Us They Now See Us Very BeataBle.
We Shouldnt Expect Too Much From This Set Because Their Wins So Far Are Not So Comprehensive And Convincing Like The Former Set.
IN SHORT THE COACH STILL HAVE A LOT TO DO IN PREP FOR THE WORLD CUP.
This Set Lacks Individual Talents, Therefore The Will Do Himself A Lot Of Good By Getting Players Who Are Still Eligible From The Last Set

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Danycrusoe(m): 8:52pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lest I Forget, Ihezuo Is Now Fulfillin Little Of The Potentials She Showed In Azerbaijan 2012. If She Continues To Do Well And Remain Consistent Then She May Be The Asisat Oshoala of this set.

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by enomakos(m): 12:45pm On Nov 10, 2015
Danycrusoe:
Lest I Forget, Ihezuo Is Now Fulfillin Little Of The Potentials She Showed In Azerbaijan 2012. If She Continues To Do Well And Remain Consistent Then She May Be The Asisat Oshoala of this set.
you are right,shee is good but she can do better

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Black Princess beat Ethiopia 4:0 to qualify for world cup
[/size]
[img]http://www.firstdigitalghana.com/black-princess-beat-ethiopia-30-to-qualify-for-world-cup/[/img]
Ghana’s Black Princess have qualified for the 2016 U-20 Women’s World Cup in Papua New Guinea with a convincing 4-0 win over their Ethiopian counterparts at the Baba Yara Stadium.

A brace each from Princella Adubea and Sandra Owusu Ansah ensured the Princesses qualification to the World Cup next year.

Ghana won 6-2 on aggregate after drawing the first leg 2-2 in Addis Ababa.
The deadlock was broken in the first half when Princella Adubea found the net in the 33rd minute.
Sandra Owusu doubled the advantage right after the break with a strike in the 48th minute of the game.

Adubea got her brace on the 50th minute mark with Sandra Owusu Ansah put the icing on the cake in the 68th minute.

Ghana will be joined by Nigeria in Papua New Guinea after the Falconets defeated South Africa 3-1 on aggregate.
[/b]

www.firstdigitalghana.com/black-princess-beat-ethiopia-30-to-qualify-for-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 4:24pm On Nov 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets will make Nigerians proud in Papua New Guinea – Ihezuo
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/68/ea/chinwendu-ihezuo_8zojar5o0cg01vyjyh9hlzeus.jpg?t=-1698721166&w=620&h=430[/img]
The forward’s goal handed the country a place in the World Cup, and she has vowed that her teammates will put up a good showing when the tourney begins next yea

By Samuel Ahmadu
Nigeria U20 Women striker Chinwedu Ihezuo has assured that the country will not be disgraced when the Fifa U20 Women World Cup begins in Papua New Guinea.

Ihezuo’s goal gave the Falconets a 1-0 win against South Africa in Tembisa, which handed them a 3-1 aggregate win for their eighth appearance at the football showpiece.

"I want to say a very big thanks to all Nigerians for their support and I promise that we will make Nigerians proud at the World Cup," Ihezuo toldGoal.

"I feel very happy for the opportunity to help my country get the World Cup ticket. It is a great joy for me that I was involved in the qualifying series.

"It has not been easy for us in training, the South Africans really gave us a tough time but our keeper really helped us.”

She revealed how coach Peter Dedevbo’s strategy helped cage Basetsana before their home fans while dedicating her goal to teammate Charity Adule.

“Coach Peter told us to first attack and we should calm down, play our game that the goals would come. And that we should make sure we score our goals in the first half,” she continued.

"I'm dedicating my goal to my family and Charity (Adule) who is celebrating her birthday. She has always been there for me, even when life was difficult.

The 18-year-old scored six goals in the qualifying round to emerge a joint top scorer alongside Ethiopia's Loza Abera whose side failed to qualify at the expense of Ghana.

Nigeria finished as runners-up in the 2014 edition staged in Canada after bowing in the final to Germany, and Ihezuo’s only goal of that championship came in Nigeria’s 2-1 defeat of South Korea in the group stage.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12072/nigeria-women/2015/11/10/17124632/falconets-will-make-nigerians-proud-in-papua-new-guinea

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 4:39pm On Nov 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Buhari congratulates Nigeria’s world scrabble champion, falconets
[/size]
By Levinus Nwabughiogu

ABUJA – President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Wellington Jighere, 36, who has emerged World Scrabble Champion in Perth, Australia.

Jighere, also the first African to win the game defeated Lewis Mackay of Cambridge, England, by 448 points to 426 to win the championship which was competed for by 450 players from round the world.

As a way of encouragement, the president on Sunday evening placed a call to congratulate the Champion.

“I called to rejoice with you over your performance. You have done the country proud, and we are very happy. Please, pass my congratulations to other members of Team Nigeria,” President Buhari told Jighere.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/jighere-wellington-of-nigeria-emerges-world-scrabble-champion/image-133/[/img]
Jighere Wellington of Nigeria emerges world scrabble champion
The excited Jighere pledged to bring more glory to his fatherland.

Similarly, 5 other Nigerian representatives also finished in the top 50 scrabble players in the world bracket.

A statement from the presidential spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina stated that “shortly after President Buhari got off the phone, news got to him that the Under-20 female football team, the Falconets, have qualified for the Women’s World Cup Tournament after beating the Basetsana of South Africa by a lone goal in an away game.”

“This is a clear case of the indomitable Nigerian spirit. Such will soon be evident in all aspects of our national life,” President Buhari said.

It will be recalled that the Falconets had recorded a 2-1 win over South Africa in Nigeria two weeks ago.

With the away goal counting double rule, South Africa needed just a single goal to secure victory but the Falconets proved their worth
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/buhari-congratulates-nigerias-world-scrabble-champion-falconets/

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:52am On Nov 20, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Omidiji hopes to impress Falconets selectors for World Cup
[/size]

Falconets new prodigy and Forward - Omidiji Sophia Omotola

Nigeria have booked their place in next year’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup and one player who’s hoping to make a big impression when the opportunity comes is dutch-based forward, Sophia Omidiji.

Speaking with www.footballlive.ng, the 18-year-old expressed her disappointment with missing out on the team’s final qualifying match against the Basetsana but is also confident the coaches will find her a vital part of their world cup plans to Papua New Guinea.

‘It was disappointing, but, I was rooting for the team. I am a competitive person and I would have hoped to be there. I will keep working hard in my club and am sure Coach Peter Dedevbo will gain confidence in my ability.’
[/b]

footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/omidiji-hopes-to-impress-falconets-selectors-for-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:55am On Nov 20, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets will rule 2016 World Cup, says Nkwocha
By Mansur Abubakar
[/size]
[img]http://cms.dailytrust.com.ng/cms/gall_content/2015/11/2015_11$largeimg117_Nov_2015_225148003.jpg[/img]
Former Super Falcons skipper Perpetua Nkwocha

Former Super Falcons skipper Perpetua Nkwocha told Daily Trust yesterday that the crop of Falconets that crushed South Africa 5-2 (rather 3-1) on aggregate to confirm their place in next year’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Papua New Guinea will rule the world this time around.

The former Sunana SK star, who is now managing Clemensnas IF in the Swedish Women’s Football Division 2 also said she had followed most of the players’ progressions and it portends well for future of the women’s game in Nigeria.

“First of all, let me start by saying a very big kudos to them all. I believe in all of them and with what they have started so far I’m confident that they will make all Nigerians proud by returning home with the Mundial trophy,” Nkwocha said.

The tournament will run over twenty days in November 2016 and will bring around 1,000 players and officials to host country Papua New Guinea as well as spectators.

Meanwhile, Japan and Korea DPR became the first and second Asian sides respectively to reach the Mundial in New Guinea, with Japan edging Korea Republic 1-0 and Korea DPR beating China PR 2-0 in the semi-finals of the AFC U-19 Asian Nations Cup, held in Nanjing, China.
[/b]

www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/sports/falconets-will-rule-2016-world-cup-says-nkwocha/119851.html

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 7:25am On Nov 20, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
New blood set to boost Flamingoes
[/size]
http://images.supersport.com/2015/11/Flamingoes-celebrate140324G300.jpg
Flamingoes © Fifa

By Olayinka Olawole Hakeem
Now that the Golden Eaglets have successfully retained the title they won two years ago at the United Arab Emirate I believe its now time for Nigerians and NFF to focus on their female version, the Golden Flamingos who will also start playing series of qualifiers for the 2016 FIFA U17 World CUP in Jordan[see clip below]from the 8th of January 2016.

Till now the NFF haven't decided officially, if they will stick to the last technical crew headed by Bala Nkiyu. Therefore preparations aren't in the pipeline for the team.

Nevertheless that does not mean the talent as with the male team does not exist as e saw in the recently concluded 2014/2015 NWPL Season.
Here are just few that should have any coach drooling.

Mariam Aluko (Confluence Queens)[below]-

The Ilorin born forward is a very strong player upfront, who uses all her might to disturb troubling defenders. Though very young she has what it takes to be in the Flamingoes team.

Barakat Olaiya (Bayelsa Queens) -
The skillful and fearless Winger is always a delight to watch. She mesmerizes the defense line of her opponent as well as fans in the stands with an array of skills you just can't find anywhere.

Chidinma Okeke ( FC Robo) -
This young talent was spotted at the 2013 Lagos State Principal's cup, where she played for her school in the Semi - Final of the competition in SS2 . Ever since, she has grown to be a huge success, running past defenders with a lot of power and pace. She also can shoot very well with both legs.

Edewor Precious (Osun Babes FC) -
Edewor arrived at Osun Babes with a lot of hopes and aspirations after a very disappointing loan spell at Edo Queens from Delta Queens of Asaba, where she only managed to score one goal . Precious is no doubt a multi talented player with plenty of skills such as been an astute free kick specialist. The Warri born striker will forever be remembered for scoring a hat trick in her first game of the season against Ibom Angels.

The Flamingoes have been unstoppable in the past. Nigeria has the skill to continue the tradition

Christiana Obia ( Martin Whyte Doves FC) -
This is another Christiana Ohiareaku in the making. The 2014 secondary school graduate of Jubilee Senior School, Orile Coker, In Lagos , started her goal keeping exploits from her JSS days and no wonder she made it as her school number one shot stopper at SS1. She amazed a lot of people with her cat-like reflexes. Though very young, she has the heart of a Lioness and is definitely not afraid of opposing strikers

Aishat Bello (Confluence Queens) -
The Igbira born player with her fast runs on the right side of the attack and great eyes for stringin dangerous passes will prove to be more then handful for any defend

Rita Akarekor ( Osun Babes FC) -
A great goalkeeper who posted some important clean sheets in the just concluded Nigerian Women Premier League. Her goal keeping attributes are second to none, a penalty kick specialist, she's got great positioning skills, quick reflexes, and as well as huge clearance ability.

Rofiat Sule ( Bayelsa Queens) :
Top scorer of the just concluded Nigerian Women Premier League with 11 goals to her kitty. A dogged fighter upfront. she is technically sound and the great ability to put the ball into the net from long and short distances. I call her the dangerous "Vixen".
She should play an important role at the World Cup next year.

Bashirat Amoo (Confluence Queens)[below]:

Basirat Amoo started off her professional career at the Ibadan based club Tewo FC at a very young age, before moving down to Osun Babes in the 2012/2013 season.

Initially because of her tender age, the Ibadan born mid fielder couldn't start many matches for her new team. But the 2013/2014 season saw her having more playing time and of course she didn't let the Osun Fans down with her mercurial display from Midfield. A great holder and passer of the ball, she is dangerous in attack.
[/b]

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 7:30am On Nov 20, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
New blood set to boost Flamingoes
[/size]

Flamingoes © Fifa

Rasheedat Ajibade ( FC Robo) :
The Skater turned footballer, at age 15, Rasheedat is a true leader and no wonder she became the youngest ever captain of a Premier league club in Nigeria.

Though she couldn't help her club FC Robo from relegation, she scored some vital and important goals . Her goal against Osun Babes at the Onikan Stadium will forever remain in my heart as one of the best goals I have ever seen in my life after she dribbled past five Osun Babes defenders to slot the ball into the net. Her wealth of experience will come to play at the U17 level, as she was the youngest squad member of the team that represented Nigeria at the last FIFA Women World Cup in Costa Rica.

Catherine Kenneth (Rivers Angels) :
Young Catherine Kenneth has everything going on for her as a defender. She has the potential to be one of the best in no time as she is a quick learner. A very ferocious defender, her never say die qualities merged with tenacious tackling and has positional awareness compared to the likes of Helen Ukaonu, and Josephine Chukwunonye. Vivian is a very very difficult player to get past - plain and simple.

Onyinyechi Okereke ( Edo Queens) :
She was the first choice goalie in the last FIFA women U17 World Cup in Costa Rica. Onyinyechi is always full of confidence when she mans the goal post and that has indeed helped her a lot in the past. Her height is another advantage as she is almost 6ft tall.

Her sharp reflexes and great ability to give a good pass to her strikers from her goal post is anther asset..Her experience will be needed in the U17 squad as she is still within the age bracket.

Nkoyo Rejoice ( Osun Babes FC) :
A box to box battler, a precise passer and an elusive dribbler with crazy skills, those are some of the qualities of the Osun Babes winger Nkoyo Rejoice. Having spent two seasons in the premier league with Osun Babes, young Nkoyo Rejoice has grown to be a thorn in the flesh of every defender she meets. She indeed has a great future and she is a great talent and a great potential.
[/b]

www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/151120/New_blood_set_to_boost_Flamingoes
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:19am On Nov 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets need time to blend for World Cup - Peter Dedevbo
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/f8/2d/falconets-2015-u20w_1o1z4r4l5pgcm1pozuc6trpdi9.jpg?t=-336875960&w=620&h=430[/img]
Dedevbo believes Falconets need time to blend for World Cup
Goal gets up close with the Falconets trainer after his ladies sealed a place in the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup and he prepares them for Papua New Guinea 2016

INTERVIEW By Samuel Ahmadu

After earning a ticket to make their eighth appearance at the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup, Nigeria's U20 women national team coach Peter Dedevbo says his ladies need plenty time together ahead of the tournament.

They edged past South Africa with a 3-1 aggregate win in the final round to qualify for the women championship slated for next year. The Delta Queens coach, who led the Falconets to finish as vice champions in 2014, shared with Goal his team's experience during the qualifying series, the miraculous victory against South Africa as well as their World Cup preparations.

He spoke to Goal's Samuel Ahmadu after his team decamped following their return from Johannesburg.

Goal: How did the Falconets manage to qualify, especially at the expense of South Africa?

Peter Dedevbo: God did everything for us to qualify. It was difficult. That South Africa match in 2013, after beating them 6-0 they were very confident that even on their own home ground we would not score against them, but we beat them there. But this year, when we won 2-1 [in Abuja], I was not comfortable at all because I knew if we got to South Africa and they scored a goal the game is finished and if we cannot score the game goes into penalty.

I was thinking that when we get to South Africa, they will come out and begin to mount unnecessary pressure on us, though we had our game plan in place. Our game plan was to attack them in South Africa and when that was not the case as they did not come out against us as I expected, I told my players to go all out attacking them so that will stop them from attacking us. And immediately when we got the early goal, we were now comfortable knowing before they could beat us to qualify, they had to score at least three to four goals. We thank God, we were able to hold onto our goal and scale through.

Goal: What difference is there between your current squad and that of 2013?

PD: The new set of U20 (women) players were very difficult for me, most especially this team does not have the sort of experience the previous U20 team had and most of the players in this current team are slow learners. It was a problem for me and my coaches. We as coaches, we just have to do our best to get the much needed result. We were able to survive and qualify because God was there for me and was there for the team. That of 2013 wasn't difficult, but this year was difficult, which I still have a lot of job to do. After the qualifiers in 2013, at that point i knew that we had a World Cup team already, though we invited only one or two players to join the team. But in this particular team, I need at least five to seven good players that can come into the team and give those players playing now a fight for their shirt.

I know that this stage of U17 and U20 is purely developmental, so the job I'm doing right now is just developmental. I'm happy to develop some players that played at the Fifa World Cup in 2015 in Canada.

Goal: What positives have you drawn from the current Falconets squad?

PD: This team has special characteristics. The difference between this team of 2015 and that of 2013 is that the players of 2015 are very skillful, while 2013 were wise and got strength to play. The current players are skillful and technical, but they are slow learners compared to that of 2013. If you tell the players of 2013 to do anything, it was easy for them doing what you asked them. For this very one, it is difficult, but God has seen us through.

Goal: Now that the Falconets have qualified, what are your World Cup preparatory plans?

PD: Now that we have qualified, the team has been decamped. In January I'm mapping out some camping programme for the team before we go for the World Cup camping. I'm looking out for the league and Federation Cup for 2015/16 season, I want to look out for some good legs that I can invite to camp. I'm not satisfied with the players I have in the team. I need about seven new players in every department - goalkeeping, defense, midfield and attack so as to make the remaining players to sit up.

Goal: What do you expect in term of support from the Nigeria Football Federation?

PD: The kind of support I've been getting from the NFF, especially in our final World Cup qualifier against South Africa was tremendous. The NFF have given us 150 per cent support in all areas. The General Secretary of the NFF (Mohammed Sanusi) traveled with us to South Africa along with some top officials. The way they talked to us and promised us many things was huge. Even in their own small way, they mobilized support for us in South Africa. If they can do what they've done for me during the qualifier, I will be very glad. I know they can do more and the general secretary promised that the NFF will help my team. I'm just waiting for this year to roll out and in January, I will go to Abuja to discuss with the NFF. I need a lot of time with the girls before we go for the World Cup.

Goal: Your message to Nigerians?

PD: I'm very grateful to everyone. I wish to appreciate Nigerians for their prayers and support, especially when we went to South Africa, their prayers and support helped us to qualify for the World Cup. I also wish to appreciate Nigerians in South Africa, they came to the stadium enmasse with their trumpets and supported us to scale through. God Bless Nigerians.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/12072/nigeria-women/2015/11/26/17691632/falconets-need-time-to-blend-for-world-cup-peter-dedevbo
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:40am On Nov 27, 2015
[size=14pt]
Courtney Dike and the memories of her historic fastest goal.
[/size]
Courtney Dike and the memories of her historic fastest goal against and her contributions to the Falconets in Germany during the FIFA U-20 World Cup

She has got a great sense of athleitism

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:48am On Nov 27, 2015
[size=14pt]
[/size]
She has a great vision and sight on goal
All hail the goal king

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 10:52am On Nov 27, 2015
[size=14pt]
[/size]
She is the finest and most beautiful Nigerian Female Footballers born abroad

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 11:01am On Nov 27, 2015
[size=14pt]
[/size]
Yes she is the one. If you see Courtney Pls help me tell, I wish she could play for the falconets again. Better still if only she could transfer that sterling performance to the Super Falcons

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by NaijaWin: 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2015
28-11-2015

15:30 - Hungary
Budapest Honved FC - Bekescsabai Elore SE (Over1.5) @1.29
16:00 - Denmark
Randers FC - FC Nordsjalland (Over1.5) @1.32
16:00 - Scotland
Aberdeen FC - Ross County (Over1.5) @1.29
13:30 - England
Charlton Athletic - Ipswich Town (Over1.5) @1.32
13:00 - Armenia
Pyunik Yerevan FC - FC Alashkert (Over1.5) @1.32

Total Odds: 3.82
Total Results:

Always visit our website www.naijawinwpa. for a result update.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Ronaldo Reacts To Hat-trick Against Tottenham Hotspur / 'Most Beautiful' Super Falcons Michelle Alozie Admits Having A Crush On Iwobi / Michael Obi: Kidnappers Think Mikel Sends Millions To Me, Mikel Doesn't Call Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.