Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders (36753 Views)

Forget Re-election In 2019 If You Don’t Repent–Bishop Odutemu Tells Buhari,Other / I Died And Resurrect (came Back To Life) And I Hav Seen The Other World / Allow EFCC Prosecute APC Members Accused Of Corruption – Okogie Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by bueze046(m): 4:18pm On Jun 18, 2015
Pope Francis on Thursday urged the world to act quickly to prevent “extraordinary” climate change from destroying the planet and said wealthy countries must bear responsibility for creating the problem and for solving it. In a radically worded letter addressed to every person on the planet, the leader of the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics blames human greed for the critical situation “Our Sister, mother Earth” now finds itself in.
Newly elected Pope Francis I, formerly Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires.
Pope Francis
“This sister now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her,” he writes in his long-anticipated Encyclical on the environment.
Arguing that environmental damage is intimately linked to global inequality, he goes on to say that doomsday predictions can no longer be dismissed and that: “The earth, our home, is beginning to look more and more like an immense pile of filth.”
Green activists hailed the charismatic Argentinian pontiff’s widely-trailed intervention as a potential game-changer in the debate over what causes global warming and how to reverse it. “Everyone, whether religious or secular, can and must respond to this clarion call for bold urgent action,”said Kumi Naido, the International Executive Director of Greenpeace.
Environmentalists hope the pope’s message will significantly increase the pressure for binding restrictions on carbon emissions to be agreed at global talks in Paris at the end of this year. But even before the official publication, climate change sceptics had dismissed the document’s argument that the phenomenon is primarily man-made and that humanity can reverse it through lifestyle changes including an early phasing-out of fossil fuels.
“I don’t get economic policy from my bishops or my cardinal or my pope,” US presidential candidate Jeb Bush said on the eve of the release in comments that underlined the depth of opposition in the United States to a binding agreement to curb greenhouse gases.

– Fast track to disaster –

The Encyclical references the arguments of the sceptics by acknowledging that volcanic activity, variation in the earth’s movements and the solar cycle are factors in climate change. But it maintains that “most global warming in recent decades is due to the great concentration of greenhouse gases released mainly as a result of human activity”.

And it leaves no doubt that Francis believes the world is on a fast-track to disaster after decades of inaction. “If present trends continue, this century may well witness extraordinary climate change and an unprecedented destruction of ecosystems, with serious consequences for all of us,” he writes.

Bemoaning the “remarkable” weakness of political responses to this, Francis accuses the sceptics of cynically ignoring or manipulating the scientific evidence. “There are too many special interests, and economic interests easily end up trumping the common good and manipulating information so that their own plans will not be affected,” he writes.

“We know how unsustainable is the behaviour of those who constantly consume and destroy, while others are not yet able to live in a way worthy of their human dignity,” he adds, saying the time has come for parts of the world to accept decreased growth.

– Conflict and war –

The consequences of climate change, he argues, will include a rise in sea levels that will directly threaten the quarter of the world’s population that lives near or on coastlines, and will be felt most acutely by developing countries. Highlighting warnings that acute water shortages could arise within decades, he writes that, “the control of water by large multinational business may become a major source of conflict in this century”.

He adds: “It is foreseeable that, once certain resources have been depleted, the scene will be set for new wars,” with the ever-present risk that nuclear or biological weapons could be used. One of the strongest themes in the encyclical is that rich countries must accept responsibility for having caused climate change and should “help pay this debt” by cutting their carbon emissions and helping the developing world adopt sustainable forms of energy generation.

“The land of the southern poor is rich and mostly unpolluted, yet access to ownership of goods and resources for meeting vital needs is inhibited by a system of commercial relations and ownership which is structurally perverse,” the pope writes in perhaps the most radical passage of the document.

Francis says fossil fuel-based technology needs to be “progressively replaced without delay.” Developing countries will need financial help to do this from “countries which have experienced great growth at the cost of the ongoing pollution of the planet” and this pact has to be enshrined in binding accords.

source..
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/what-pope-told-buhari-other-world-leaders/

cc lalasticlala

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by INTROVERT(f): 4:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by INTROVERT(f): 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2015
Not minding environmental impacts..... Nigeria's sure way to growth and development is increased energy consumption and that can only be gotten through burning of fossil fuels until we reach the level on the kuznets curve where we approach a steady state. What the pope is saying applies to developed countries mostly.

1 Like

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by brize(m): 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2015
his holiness

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by deebsman1(m): 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
Must everything good or bad now be associated with Buhari? I can't find in the article anywhere the man categorically called the name Buhari, Nigeria or Africa. Its just a general message to the whole world but a newspaper house like Vanguard have now been so degenerated to the point of not relying on any other thing than just pure sensational journalism. Is it in a bid to sell market or its sponsorship from some quarters or its just pure hatred and irresponsibility?

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by DahtzFestjayz: 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by wachakuta(m): 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
Coool

1 Like

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by ggrin(f): 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
sad
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Expsbterror(m): 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
Him think say them no no. angry

A big SHIOR to you all
Flash
Introvert
Ggrin
DahtzFestjayz
deebsman1

1 Like

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Flashh: 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
I don't see how this will affect Buhari.

Why did (op) mentioned his name in what doesn't concerns him?

Please stop toying with Nigeria's President's name. angry

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by successking401(m): 5:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
K
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Sweetyie(f): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2015
Ok seen. Long n boring post #yawns#

1 Like

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by otijah(m): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2015
@OP where did he Mention buhari name there, I have read all the text but still no see buhari

2 Likes

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by meshacha1: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
That's if baba will listen because I think baba have so many other things to worry abt.
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Ayima: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
I love this man with my body, soul and spirit.

4 Likes

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by amanze15(m): 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
His holiness,....china is number one grin them no even send

5 Likes

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by ylaa(f): 5:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
what does pope knows about weather? na wa oh!
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Aristotle96(m): 5:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
Oh shit we soon gonna die.. Oh well lemme start selling mah tins cheesy
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by hazyfm: 5:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
Where did he mention BUHARI OR NIGERIA??

7 Likes

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by dridowu: 5:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
Omg
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by willyrey: 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
hazyfm:
Where did he mention BUHARI??
dats wat am looking for too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by ggrin(f): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
Expsbterror:
Him think say them no no. angry

A big SHIOR to you all Flash Introvert Ggrin DahtzFestjayz deebsman1
undecided
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by geeluck1(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
Reading mood activated...
Abeg where dem mention buhaha their??
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Titto93(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
know the requirements and date of your post utme on time at www.gurusgarden.ml
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Shehucom(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
Looking for where he mentioned BUHARI....
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Adyrin(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
We haf hear grin
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Daniel058(m): 5:22pm On Jun 18, 2015
His holiness has spoken. .

1 Like

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by oyeezee(m): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
i can't see where he mentioned buhari
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by ultrazone(m): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
qjqjq
Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by ihatebuhari(f): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
Don't think the Daura President, old wine and western Germany president will read this.

Nigeria now on auto pilot

3 Likes

Re: Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders by Okaka27(m): 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
I had to use the " Find in Page" tool in my browser.. undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him / Biafra: Mbaka Reveals How Igbos Will Treat Each Other If Their Nation Is Achieve / The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.