Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47594 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 1:57am On Apr 26, 2011
THE AMAKA:

lets just say im from a small LGA in Northern Imo state right in the middle between Orlu and Owerri. traditional marriage of course!  kiss
Mbaitoli or Isu LGA, which one? And alright. I can certainly do trad.

THE AMAKA:

about the Ngwa lady. his father didn't say "NO! you cannot marry her" but he did try to discourage him and talk him out of it. they met in Lagos, btw. just that the people in the community kinda feel stand off-ish towards her.
Oh okay.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by THEAMAKA(f): 2:04am On Apr 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Mbaitoli or Isu LGA, which one? And alright. I can certainly do trad.
Oh okay.
ding ding ding! its Isu local government.

real talk now, do you plan on marrying from Ngwa, or?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 3:02am On Apr 26, 2011
Isu huh, cool. One of our family friends is from Isu (or at least, I think they're from Isu). We used to be very, very close, but you know how life is. It likes getting in the way of things. Still, even though we don't hang together as often, we consider ourselves close family friends.

Do I plan on marrying Ngwa? I guess so, yeah. Seems right. Either Ngwa, or any of the other kin groups to the southward/southwestward (except for maybe Ikwere), but nothing is set in stone, and besides, all that's not really on my mind right now.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Obiagu1(m): 4:56am On Apr 26, 2011
Hey, you two should take your conversation to a private domain.

This is a cultural section.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by THEAMAKA(f): 9:03am On Apr 26, 2011
sorry ooooo *rolls eyes*
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sonofpeace(m): 9:53am On Apr 26, 2011
THE AMAKA:

sorry ooooo *rolls eyes*
Obiagu1:

Hey, you two should take your conversation to a private domain.

This is a cultural section.
Plz allow them they are in love.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2011
Amaka no mind am. We certainly discussed culture (i.e. when a people assert as a norm that their people/descendants not marry from certain other people/descendants, na culture). hehh.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by THEAMAKA(f): 1:26pm On Apr 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Amaka no mind am. We certainly discussed culture (i.e. when a people assert as a norm that their people/descendants not marry from certain other people/descendants, na culture). hehh.
I shall be back kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by MIBB: 4:21am On Jun 25, 2011
This is the bit i really cant understand, if the Ibos desire a nation of theirs, why don't they go alone. They are large enough. must they drag unwilling southern minority tribes along?

Southern minority tribes are fast fusing together. we don't need a big brother role from any tribe. If Nigeria breaks up, we sure know our boundaries.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 4:26am On Jun 25, 2011
Wait, MIBB, looking at the series of events of the last century, do you mean to tell me that you believe that the Igbo would want to incorporate the Ijo in a separate state? Is that really what's going on in your head?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by oduasolja: 6:57am On Sep 14, 2011
oh igbos are trying to form a link so they can claim oil and land abi.

what u couldnt take by force , u are now trying to use style to try to lay claim to other poeple land.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 7:11am On Sep 14, 2011
Odusolja, guy that crap u are spreading has gotten too old. Seriously what land are u talking about? We haven't finished oil wey dey deep in eli Igbo sef. Your retarrded world starts and ends with oil.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ngodigha: 12:16pm On Sep 14, 2011
oduasolja:

oh igbos are trying to form a link so they can claim oil and land abi.

what u couldnt take by force , u are now trying to use style to try to lay claim to other poeple land.
First class stinking pig, you should concentrate on your joblessness or that your mother's blind left eye rather than running your smelly mouth about Igbo and Ijaw affairs. Get it into your little brain, shameless pig.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 12:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
Don't even give that character oduasolja the time of day. Historic and even kinship link exists between "Ijo" groups and "Igbo" groups. So no long story.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by oduasolja: 5:58am On Oct 06, 2011
Ngodigha:

First class stinking pig, you should concentrate on your joblessness or that your mother's blind left eye rather than running your smelly mouth about Igbo and Ijaw affairs. Get it into your little brain, shameless pig.
its ur sister that is a stinking swine. go back to your fuckng village and upgrade ur people.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ybutterfly: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2011
LOVELLLLY topic they should unite
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Kc3000: 10:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
Oldest trick in the book; whenever there is a call for solidarity among the ethnic groups of Eastern Nigeria, Nigeria's dark forces respond with the time-tested 'oh the Igbos want your oil'. By the way, how would the Igbos take anyone's oil if the people themselves do not have ownership control of the oil. The Igbos do not have control of the oil in the Igbo territories, and the same goes for the Ijaw, Ogoni, Efiks etc. The federal government controls the revenue derived from the oil, so how exactly are Igbos going to grab people's oil?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by SmartTalk: 4:43pm On Dec 10, 2012
Please someone explain to me how the fear of being a "minority" clouded the judgement of Adaka Boro and other Niger Deltan leaders? How would the Niger Delta ever experience development if they contend that all ethnic groups should stay in their villages like their ancestors did? All this talk of the Igbo making one group or another a minority is just plain silly. Minority or majority depends on numbers and demographics which can change with time. Do you hear Chinese complaining about being minorities in the USA or Indonesia, or other parts of the world where they reside and prosper? Did the same Adaka Boro not win the elections for student union leader in the "Igbo dominated" UNN? The people who deceived the Ijaw are their leaders and demagogues who used hate as a propelling force to fight for their own personal interests. Whether one group or another is a minority cannot be controlled by any leader or government. The government is there to provide jobs not ensure one ethnic group is a minority or another is a majority. Ojukwu did not give in to parochial requests by minority leaders because he knew their demands were fueled by hate.
The Igbo who settled in the Niger Delta before the war developed the place and resided in the place. Port Harcourt was in a much better shape than it is and even the people who got fed on the Igbo hate that was prevalent at the time know it. Since Diete Spiff seized Igbo properties, what has happened to the property market in Port Harcourt? The Igbo people would rather invest in Lagos property market where a majority of their seized property were returned and this is why Lagos is more developed than Rivers state that Adaka Boro fought for. As long as the Niger Delta subscribes to the thoughts of demagogues, they will not see the Economic advancement that should ordinarily come to them given their natural endowments. They would scare investors away with talk of domination. Investors will say, "If they can wake up and seize Igbo properties, imagine what they would do to my property". Any region that wants economic development must welcome investments. This is how Singapore became a First World Country. It is not by wishful thinking, but by application of wisdom. And stop thinking that it is having the control of government that brings economic advancement. The North has had control of government, created a few millionaires from this situation with Niger Deltan oil but has the highest rate of poverty in the country. Do know that if you keep fighting for demagogues, you fight for their pockets. Adaka Boro was eyeing the 5000 pounds budget the student union leader controls and resented the fact that he was not elected quickly into the position. These sort of people use sentiments of the population to make them fight for their pockets.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by SmartTalk: 4:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
MIBB: This is the bit i really cant understand, if the Ibos desire a nation of theirs, why don't they go alone. They are large enough. must they drag unwilling southern minority tribes along?

Southern minority tribes are fast fusing together. we don't need a big brother role from any tribe. If Nigeria breaks up, we sure know our boundaries.

I agree. I prefer that we The Igbo should go alone. The last thing we need to do is to be managing the rivalry the minorities of the Niger Delta have for themselves. If the Igbo and others that identify with them can go to the South East and continue the trend of entrepreneurship that is encouraged in Anambra to build their own ports and refineries and power plants, if this can be extended to other parts of the economy and the big government Nigeria encourages is gotten rid of by the Biafran state, Biafra will rival Singapore and other Asian tigers in no time. We are not intimidated by anyone so, unlike Nigeria, Biafra can get rid of Federal Character that Nigeria has infected everyone with. We are not afraid of meritocracy. We are not afraid of free enterprise. We, very much unlike Nigerians, are not afraid of the kind of thinking that is needed for progress. We see prosperity beyond natural resources that we did not work for. We see it in technological innovation and trade. We see it in Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 10:27pm On Dec 10, 2012
Funny enough, I opened this thread before Jonathan ended up as Nigeria's President. Some fake Ijaws(mostly Northerners) came in and derailed the thread because they fear a good relationship between Igbos and Ijaws will produce a formidable force. Some gullible real Ijaws just like the 1960 ones joined and nearly ruined the thread. Seun moved it from politics to tribalism and lastly culture in order to avoid the wrath of the "Owners of Nigeria". Today an Ijaw is President with Igbo support. I've never been an advocate of Biafra but I always believe that since Ijaw and Igbo lived, inter-married, traded and founded settlements together, we have no reason to be hostile against one another. Nigerians don't want Igbos to import through Ijaw area because that will dwarf the economic prowess of Lagos while new cities will spring up in Ijaw area.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sealeddeal(m): 1:50pm On Dec 11, 2012
the issue of Ijaws uniting with Igbos should be discontinued especially when Igbos are leading the march of such unity with Ijaws.By now,i suppose everybody should have known his enemies/haters. We Igbos will better be seeking alliance with people of northern region than continue seeking for such from Ijaws.We should equally put our ability to streghten the already existing cordiality/alliance between us and People of Calabar/Akwaibom and look forward to building the bridge of difference between us and our northern neighbours especially the people of north central who may share our belief.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2012
Sealeddeal: the issue of Ijaws uniting with Igbos should be discontinued especially when Igbos are leading the march of such unity with Ijaws.By now,i suppose everybody should have known his enemies/haters. We Igbos will better be seeking alliance with people of northern region than continue seeking for such from Ijaws.We should equally put our ability to streghten the already existing cordiality/alliance between us and People of Calabar/Akwaibom and look forward to building the bridge of difference between us and our northern neighbours especially the people of north central who may share our belief.

Ethnic card is not usually beneficial in the long run. We need cordial relationship amongst all Nigerians but in terms of sins and genocide committed against Igbos, the North and Middle-belt are the chairmen followed by Edo and Southwest. The Ijaws played into the gallery with the abandoned property saga but I don't think they killed Igbos.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawcitizen(m): 10:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
ijaw_girl:
I'm sure u prefer it now, abi?

lol I dont blame my people for pulling out,  I guess everybody has learnt their lesson from the past/experience.
Ojukwu's plan was the same as the Hausas, he decided to make the ethnic groups in the south south minorities, the only difference was Ojukwu said it before time while the hausa's were just deceiving us. If we accepted Ojukwu's plan and we ended up being oppressed, there you go, Its still the same situation

After the war we have all seen our mistakes, each ethnic group has become stronger and want equal rights. The Ijaw people are becoming stronger and more united everyday, the same for the ogoni and efik people. If Biafra should happen again, I guess everybody will know their limits, everybody is equal, no ethnic group is a minority no matter the size of the tribe.

only time will tell, I cant predict, 
WORD for the landlockophobia infested land grabbers and war criminals!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:58am On Jun 05, 2013
ijaw citizen: WORD for the landlockophobia infested land grabbers and war criminals!

I don't even believe you are Ijaw,so,you can keep beating your chest because the Igbo mentioned your tribe. Let me tell you ingrate,the Igbo don't need the Ijaw but you on the other hand certainly need us. I blame the Igbo that go around openning these threads that give people like you the room to insult Igbo. Who da fuq are Ijaw ? I usually ignore nonentities like you but I had to comment here to put it straight that an Igbo like me from Anambra can careless what you think. Talking to you is like lowering our standards. Oil this,oil that. Are you that dumb? Who controls the oil wells in your father land ? Igbo ? Anambra has enough oil to carry the Igbo for hundred of years and so is Imo and Abia. Are you telling that all your hope is in oil ? Since you have had this oil how many Ijaw billonaires are out there ? You are a slave in your own house but you are so shameless you have the effrontery to even open your mouth to talk down on the Igbo. You are a big fool and you will remain so because you are weak and sorry. I blame all the Igbo that go around openning all these annoying threads that motivates people to even stand close to the Igbo and talk. Who da ffuck are the Ijaw ? I don't wanna attack the whole Ijaw population because there are good ones but don't push me and you kinsmen need to call you to order before I flip.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawcitizen(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
The last time I checked, the title of this thread is:
Why Igbos and Ijaws "MUST" unite-started by an Igbo man-Abagworo.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by SmartTalk: 2:45am On Jun 25, 2013
ijaw citizen: The last time I checked, the title of this thread is:
Why Igbos and Ijaws "MUST" unite-started by an Igbo man-Abagworo.

@OP[Abagworo]
I have always thought threads and rumination among Igbo in terms of building alliances and strengthening friendships is a waste of time. There are no permanent friends or enemies to any nation, so building bridges with our neighbors at this point is wrongheaded. Whomever you want to build alliances would ask what's in it for them and, in the case of the Igbo, suspect your every step no matter how much common interest there is.

Abagworo, including the Niger Delta, as a block, is mistaken. There are a few ethnic groups in the Niger Delta who have very strong bond with the Igbo and their potential entry into the Biafran union is what should be planned for in terms of what they can bring to the table. This is the discussion I think should be had instead (check www.nairaland.com/1331718/preparing-east-post-nigeria-future ). Rather than looking for allies at this time, we should instead talk of developing our realm, which I discussed here: www.nairaland.com/1248907/preparing-east-post-nigeria-future . I think this fixation on who Nigeria's president is and where he comes from is infantile. The president comes from Bayelsa, but what difference does that make to Bayelsa? And all this craze about oil would end soon by force when the US starts producing more than we do from shale oil and fracking. We should be talking of harnessing local talent. The manufacturing industry in Anambra for instance can bring the sort of African renaissance in wealth and job creation if it is not hobbled by government policy favoring Chinese imports. This is what we should be taking about, keeping in mind that Nigeria would not help this industry because it is resident in the East.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abogwara: 12:44pm On Jun 19, 2019
Abagworo:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read this article written by a true Ijaw son and realised how we had and are still being used by other Nigerians.http://www.unitedijaw.com/analysis.htm

We actually have so much in common.balkanization,denial,divide and rule.we have rich inland oil while they own the oil rich shores.we traded in slaves together as well as salt,fish and oil palm.we inter-married.we are multidialectal and consist of several sub-groups(this forms part of our weakness but should have been our strength).

If only all igbos and ijaws could realize this,a lot could be achieved by both.

Constructive contribution from igbo and ijaw sons as well as their offshoots-kalabari,okrika,andoni,ibani,opobo,etche,ikwerre,anioma,ndoki,ogba,ndoni,egbema,ekpeye etc.

10 years ago when I was still in my twenties. I'm much older now but yet the same issues remain valid
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by BeijinDossier: 12:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
Hahahaha just look at this hopeless jobless old man of 50. Chai na person we no sabi you gonna fall for your lies. Old ugly man

[s]
Abogwara:

10 years ago when I was still in my twenties. I'm much older now but yet the same issues remain valid
[/s]
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abogwara: 8:12pm On Jun 19, 2019
BeijinDossier:
Hahahaha just look at this hopeless jobless old man of 50. Chai na person we no sabi you gonna fall for your lies. Old ugly man

[s][/s]

In terms of knowledge and exposure I'm more than 50 but I was born early 1980s so I can't be up to 40 not to talk of 50
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by BeijinDossier: 8:20pm On Jun 19, 2019
Old man shut up. You were born in early 70s. You can only deceive people who don't know you. Useless old man of 50. Choose any location of your choice in PH so we can all prove our ages, i will be in town by weekend. Lying old clown

[s]
Abogwara:

In terms of knowledge and exposure I'm more than 50 but I was born early 1980s so I can't be up to 40 not to talk of 50
[/s]
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 4:19pm On Aug 18, 2019
Seems some people are yet to understand what is happening

https://dailypost.ng/2019/08/18/bloody-clash-averted-ijaw-youths-confront-asari-dokubo-biafran-meeting/amp/

A bloody clash was averted on Saturday by the police in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, following failed attempts by a former militant leader and Niger Delta activist, Asari Dokubo, to hold an expanded inaugural meeting in support of Biafra.

According to Nation newspaper, the Chairman of Ijaw Youths Council (IYC), Central Zone, Kennedy Olorogun, got wind of the Biafran meeting and mobilized his executive council members and other youths to the venue of the gathering.

Olorogun was said to be angry that Dokubo chose Bayelsa, a homogeneous Ijaw state, to hold such meeting and ordered the founder of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF) to leave the state or face the wrath of the youths.

He alleged that Dokubo gathered over 300 persons from across the states in the South-East and South-South to hold the meeting.

According to him, the meeting was reportedly convened under the auspices of the Biafra National Council (BNC) and not the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Olorogun said over 300 persons including Dokubo were already gathered at a hotel in Yenagoa when he led Ijaw youths to the place.

He said quarrel ensued between him and Dokubo when he told the former militant leader that the meeting would not hold in Ijawland.

“When we got the information, we stormed the venue of the meeting to stop them.

“They tried to resist us but we told them we were prepared for them because we will not allow any part of Bayelsa to be used for a meeting calling for the actualisation of Biafra.

“I wonder why Dokubo decided to bring such meeting to Bayelsa. But we stopped them.

“It was getting out of hand but the police intervened to stop possible violence. My happiness is that we stopped the meeting from holding,” he told journalists.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 9:34am On May 30, 2021
The strategy has always been anything to prevent these two brothers from uniting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.