Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47679 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 7:55pm On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

Igbo people what do want us in the south south and south east  to do?
apologise, then what happens next tongue

This is the most stupid Calabar person I ever met.
I have never in my entire life read such nonsense from any one from that area.
Your fathers and grandfathers fought and died for Biafra
They were Biafrans.
Nigerian troops also destroyed their areas,killed their men and women and raped their women.
Go and read or ask your father if he's still alive
You're sounding like a fool with your utterances
I have an uncle a Biafran soldier who was killed at Ogoja from what I was told.
Ogoja was a home for many Igbos
go and read
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 7:55pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ Osisi & NaijaKing

When will Igbo people learn that Saro-Wiwa is not an Ijaw man, but an Ogoni man.
I'm confused. Are ogonis not Ijaws?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 7:57pm On Feb 26, 2009
IDIOT, I was referring to ogoni, the mid west people and the Ijaws
they apologise then what next?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 7:58pm On Feb 26, 2009
this tamme is so obviously funmi.

the combo of virulent feminism and subterranean pro yorubarity is undisguisable
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 26, 2009
Once again, the thread has turned to "misfortunes of the Igbo".

Why bother starting a thread on how to unite these tribes of Nigeria if it always turn to one tribe pointing a finger at another.

Just waiting for the day the fingers will be cut.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:01pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

I'm confused. Are ogonis not Ijaws?

How can Ogoni's be Ijaws?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by CrudeOil2(m): 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
Who said saro wiwa was an Igbo man? And no, Ogonis are not Ijaws.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Abeg. Don't be annoyed jo. It is all for taxonomy sake  grin grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2009

Was Kokori ogoni or Ijaw?. Who are ogonis?. I thought they are ijaws like kalabaris and Odi people?.

Why do some Ijaws share the same names with Igbos?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

It isn't a separate issue ( to an apologist it would be).  A legitimate truth and reconciliation committee would encompass the events that led to the war and the war itself.  you guys obviously aren't ready for reconciliation just another blame party.

as for the question.  "No victor no Vanquish"  

Petition or take the Government to court if you feel like it.  

Nonsense gibberish from a charlatan! Who are you calling an "apologist"?

If the Igbos did not feel safe in a country that masterminded the targeted murder of Igbos all over Nigeria, would there had been a need to secede?

Before the 1966 pogrom, the calls for secession were loudest in Northern Nigeria. Igbo elders like Nnamdi Azikiwe had tirelessly fought for Nigeria's independence and sternly opposed the idea of secession.

The government's failure to protect Igbos, bona fide Nigerian citizens, created a real atmosphere of suspicion and that innate survival instinct came to the fore. Why should Igbos be part of a nation that has shown cataclysmic failure in its single most important duty - to protect the life and property of her citizens. This was the immediate trigger for the declaration of Biafra; an attempt to survive, to survive a planned but failed genocide!

We're talking about what caused the fire and you're telling me the fire burnt your shoe! Nonsense! The fire burnt my whole house!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Was Kokori ogoni or Ijaw?. Who are ogonis?. I thought they are ijaws like kalabaris and Odi people?

Go and learn your geography, abeg.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 8:06pm On Feb 26, 2009
tamme:

IDIOT, I was referring to ogoni, the mid west people and the Ijaws
they apologise then what next?

You're a FOOL!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:07pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Was Kokori ogoni or Ijaw?. Who are ogonis?. I thought they are ijaws like kalabaris and Odi people?.

Why do some Ijaws share the same names with Igbos?

All of them na OMO IBO. That is the koko of the matter.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:08pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

You're a FOOL!

Take it easy, Mr Richyblack.
Tamme is just trying to be mischevious.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2009
This is the most stupid Calabar person I ever met.
I have never in my entire life read such nonsense from any one from that area.
Your fathers and grandfathers fought and died for Biafra
They were Biafrans.
Nigerian troops also destroyed their areas,killed their men and women and raped their women.
Go and read or ask your father if he's still alive
You're sounding like a fool with your utterances
I have an uncle a Biafran soldier who was killed at Ogoja from what I was told.
Ogoja was a home for many Igbos
go and read

How come the hausas were not able to fool the Efiks and Ibibios into betraying the igbos like they fooled Ijaws?.  Weren't they promised something too? Could their loyalty to Biafra be the reason why Gowon gave Bakassi to cameroun?.

It's funny how southern Nigerians are biting each other but the common enemy is still standing tall looking for more ways to leech of you guys. Fools!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Take it easy, Mr Richyblack.
Tamme is just trying to be mischevious.

I understand but I'm not good with people who just start insulting others. I never insulted him/her and don't know why he/she should call me an "IDIOT".
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 8:10pm On Feb 26, 2009
after sometime calabar will be the abuja of Nigeria, igbo and Ijaws will soon start fighting for us
we are prettiest girls in Nigeria smiley and we know how to treat a man
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:11pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I understand but I'm not good with people who just start insulting others. I never insulted him/her and don't know why he/she should call me an "IDIOT".

Exercise patience. cool

tamme:

after sometime calabar will be the abuja of Nigeria, igbo and Ijaws will soon starting fighting for us
we are prettiest girls in Nigeria smiley and we know how to treat a man

Add libidinous to y'all features too.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:12pm On Feb 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Go and learn your geography, abeg.

Geography will not help you draw distinction between Ogoni's and Ijaws.

The Ogoni's land is ensconced within Ijaw land.

About 130 years ago, a people (Ogoni's) travelled up the Atlantic coast fleeing persecution from Ghana (as is widely assumed). The benevolent ( grin) people of Opobo allowed them to settle in virgin bush between Opobo and Okrika. Till today, the Ogoni people remain the only non-Ijaws living in traditional Ijaw land. They are often classed as Ijaws, as they are surrounded on all sides by Ijaws, but they have a seperate language, culture and identity, not found anywhere else in Nigeria.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:12pm On Feb 26, 2009
i don't buy this calabar tamme. She is obviously Funmi. The modus operandi is thesame
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tamme: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2009
Nigeria: Work On $1.5billion Calabar Energy City Commences
Edem Edem
26 January 2009

Calabar — The Special Adviser to Imoke on Special Projects, Mr. Eyo Ekpo has disclosed that work on the $1.5 billion Calabar Energy City would commence in the first quarter of this year.

Already, reclamation of site at Ekorinim Peninsula for the industrial area and a portion of Pamol Rubber Estate for the residential area had begun.

The project which would cover about 373 hectares of land will be funded and managed through public private partnership (PPP).

He said the engineering work for the project has been concluded and that it will have eco-industrial park as one of its attractions, hoping that when completed, the project will take advantage of Federal Government's policy which demands that 60% of man hour be domicile within the operating region which is yet to be achieve in the region due to the problem associated with the Niger Delta.Responding to why the proposed new Airport has not taken off two years after it was announced, he said Federal Government has failed to live to its agreement by contributing to the project, adding that the state has decided to expand the Margaret Ekpo International Airport. Already ARM Limited has indicated interest in developing it even though there are some set backs.

He maintained that because of the economic viability of the Airport occasioned by the tourism initiative of the state Government, more investors are indicating interest in investing and managing the facility after expansion, adding that the state awaits approval before anything is done bearing in mind that the facility is yet to be listed in the concession exercise

Ekpo further disclosed that work on the proposed N5billion Calabar Central Market is to commence before the end of the first quarter of the year, adding that the integrated facilities will cater for all categories of trading with other utility services in line with global trend.On the monorail which is to serve as intra city transport, the Special Adviser said, the state has taken delivery of the track components which is part of its contribution and raised the hope that the funding agreement will be reached with the African Export Import Bank which is the main financier to the project for its final take off.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2009
@Ibime
I might have lumped Saro-Wiwa as Ijaw, which is not correct. However, the point remains that all eatern Nigerians who joined forces with Hausa people to further kill their own people deserve not to be memorialized, especially when speaking about reconcilliation.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

About 130 years ago, a people (Ogoni's) travelled up the Atlantic coast fleeing persecution from Ghana (as is widely assumed). The benevolent ( grin) people of Opobo allowed them to settle in virgin bush between Opobo and Okrika. Till today, the Ogoni people remain the only non-Ijaws living in traditional Ijaw land. They are often classed as Ijaws, as they are surrounded on all sides by Ijaws, but they have a seperate language, culture and identity, not found anywhere ales in Nigeria.

LMAO. see stylish insult. Taxonomy I say, taxonomy. Me reckons, the Ogonis stand above the Ijaws in the hierachy
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2009
after sometime calabar will be the abuja of Nigeria, igbo and Ijaws will soon starting fighting for us
we are prettiest girls in Nigeria Smiley and we know how to treat a man

Calabar just launched the energy city which is another Tinapa project in the making.  Leave Ijaws out of your rancor abeg, it's hausas that are the problem in Nigeria. If we do learn from our mistakes like Americans,  Ijaw/ogoni/whatever their names are should have known that hausas took them for a ride and they should be making amendments because their fathers surely gambled and lost. The beast up north is still standing tall, waiting with his matchet and daggers. If it were not the igbo and yoruba, they would've taken you guys as their slaves and wives by now. That is their normal method of operation.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2009
i don't buy this calabar tamme. She is obviously Funmi. The modus operandi is thesame
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

blah blah blah.

If the Igbos did not feel safe in a country that masterminded the targeted murder of Igbos all over Nigeria, would there had been a need to secede?

Did the secession plan include taking over the Midwestern region?

Before the 1966 pogrom, the calls for secession were loudest in Northern Nigeria. Igbo elders like Nnamdi Azikiwe had tirelessly fought for Nigeria's independence and sternly opposed the idea of secession.

Northerners didn't support Independence so why is it a surprise they wanted to secede.  You forced the union and now you want to pull out? huh.

The government's failure to protect Igbos, bona fide Nigerian citizens, created a real atmosphere of suspicion and that innate survival instinct came to the fore.

every Nigerian is a "bona fide" citizen. no need to set any difference.  Nigerians had an atmosphere of suspicion even before the pogroms.  The pogroms were just the spark needed and not the real cause.  Everyone knew the hutus and tutsi's were going to squabble, one side just needed an excuse.

Why should Igbos be part of a nation that has shown cataclysmic failure in its single most important duty - to protect the life and property of her citizens.

Hey you have a right to secede, but i still the believe the Aburi accord offer of a confederation was great.  We could have been like Canada or Australia.  Ojukwu just got plain greedy.

This was the immediate trigger for the declaration of Biafra; an attempt to survive, to survive a planned but failed genocide!

Did the survival plans include taking over the Mid-Western region? don't fool anyone here with revisionist history.  The problem in Nigeria is each group trying to dominate the other for selfish reasons.

We're talking about what caused the fire and you're telling me the fire burnt your shoe! Nonsense! The fire burnt my whole house!

That shoe may be very valuable to the owner too.  The point of a truth and reconciliation committee is the quench each others fires rather than screaming I'm a victim.  You guys aren't ready.  Another Oputa panel where we scream at each other.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The government's failure to protect Igbos, bona fide Nigerian citizens, created a real atmosphere of suspicion and that innate survival instinct came to the fore. Why should Igbos be part of a nation that has shown cataclysmic failure in its single most important duty - to protect the life and property of her citizens. This was the immediate trigger for the declaration of Biafra; an attempt to survive, to survive a planned but failed genocide!

Hmmmm!

You failed to answer my question. Of what use is apologising? wILL IT BRING BACK THE DEAD?

I'm not saying an apology shouldn't be granted to the Igbo ppl, but what is the use of apologising when you've survived the failed genocide?

If a country apologised for failing to  protect her citizens and the prosperity of her citizens back then, what use is the apology when she still fails to perform her duty right now?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

I learnt the distinction in Geography!!!

About 130 years ago, a people (Ogoni's) travelled up the Atlantic coast fleeing persecution from Ghana (as is widely assumed). The benevolent ( grin) people of Opobo allowed them to settle in virgin bush between Opobo and Okrika. Till today, the Ogoni people remain the only non-Ijaws living in traditional Ijaw land. They are often classed as Ijaws, as they are surrounded on all sides by Ijaws, but they have a seperate language, culture and identity, not found anywhere else in Nigeria.

Cheese n Rice. . . . .
Opobo, Okrika, Ijaw, Ogoni. . . . .How many sub-tribes are there in Rivers??
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:18pm On Feb 26, 2009
Northerners didn't support Independence so why is it a surprise they wanted to secede. You forced the union and now you want to pull out? huh.

Lord Lugard forced the union in 1914. What are you talking about?. Since we have 'certificate of exit' like BecomeRich claimed, we want out abeg.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
bawomolo:

Did the secession plan include taking over the Midwestern region?

Haven't you heard that the Midwest is part of Biafra? Ijaws live there so they are compelled to want to join their brothers in war, even without consultation. grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

I learnt the distinction in Geography!!!

Quite worrying. So some people actually paid attention in Geography class. Pray did you learn this in SS4 by any chance
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Lord Lugard forced the union in 1914. What are you talking about?. Since we have 'certificate of exit' like BecomeRich claimed, we want out abeg.

The country could have been partitioned at the time of independence if we wanted it be.  Palestine was partitioned, India was partitioned.  Nigerians choose to engage in this risky experiment.  We have no choice but to make it work or just partition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.