Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,283 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47681 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2009
dangermous:

Quite worrying. So some people actually paid attention in Geography class. Pray did you learn this in SS4 by any chance

Put a cock in it, son!!!
Some of us were attentive in school while students like you were truants or fellating on each other in the toilets.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Haven't you heard that the Midwest is part of Biafra? Ijaws live there so they are compelled to want to join their brothers in war, even without consultation.  grin

even Ojukwu like better thing  grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:22pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Haven't you heard that the Midwest is part of Biafra? Ijaws live there so they are compelled to want to join their brothers in war, even without consultation.  grin

really. I never knew they were Ijaws in the midwest too  undecided undecided  I should have paid attention in Geography class  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:24pm On Feb 26, 2009

The country could have been partitioned at the time of independence if we wanted it be. Palestine was partitioned, India was partitioned. Nigerians choose to engage in this risky experiment. We have no choice but to make it work or just partition.

They wanted United States of Nigeria. Handiwork of Nnamdi azikiwe.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
but are you people trying to tell me the Igbos planned on annexing the south west during the war.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 8:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Cheese n Rice. . . . .
Opobo, Okrika, Ijaw, Ogoni. . . . .How many sub-tribes are there in Rivers??

Three broad tribes - Ikwerre, Ijaw and Ogoni.

Ethnic Composition, Languages, Culture and the Arts

The ethnic composition of Rivers State is very diverse. These include Kalabari, lkwerre, Okrika, lbani (Bonny and Opobo) Ekpeye, Ogba, Etche, Khana, Gokana, Eleme, Ndoni, Abua, Odual. Linguistic scholars have grouped these communities into six major linguistic groups, namely ljoid, lower Niger (lgboid), Ogoni, Central Delta, Delta Edoid, and Lower Cross.

* The ljoid group comprises four groups of dialects namely eastern ljoid (Kalabari, Bile, Okrika, lbani and Nkoro).
   * The Lower Niger (lgboid) comprises dialects such as Ekpeye, lkwerre, Ogba, Egbema, Ndoni, Etche, and lgbo.
   * The Ogoni group includes a large number of dialects which can be grouped into four Khana, Gokana, Eleme and Tai.
   * The Lower Cross group has only one member in Rivers State, with the rest being in Akwa lbom and Cross River States.
   * The language, Obolo, in this group, is spoken in Andoni and Opobo Local Government Areas (Salawu, 1993).

culled from http://www.riversstatenigeria.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=276&Itemid=168
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:25pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

So what is bad in Azikwe's dream of one Nigeria??
That our leaders have been twats shouldn't be blamed on Nnamdi Azikwe.
He was a national HERO.

ow11:

Three broad tribes - Ikwerre, Ijaw and Ogoni.

Ethnic Composition, Languages, Culture and the Arts

The ethnic composition of Rivers State is very diverse. These include Kalabari, lkwerre, Okrika, lbani (Bonny and Opobo) Ekpeye, Ogba, Etche, Khana, Gokana, Eleme, Ndoni, Abua, Odual. Linguistic scholars have grouped these communities into six major linguistic groups, namely ljoid, lower Niger (lgboid), Ogoni, Central Delta, Delta Edoid, and Lower Cross.

* The ljoid group comprises four groups of dialects namely eastern ljoid (Kalabari, Bile, Okrika, lbani and Nkoro).
   * The Lower Niger (lgboid) comprises dialects such as Ekpeye, lkwerre, Ogba, Egbema, Ndoni, Etche, and lgbo.
   * The Ogoni group includes a large number of dialects which can be grouped into four Khana, Gokana, Eleme and Tai.
   * The Lower Cross group has only one member in Rivers State, with the rest being in Akwa lbom and Cross River States.
   * The language, Obolo, in this group, is spoken in Andoni and Opobo Local Government Areas (Salawu, 1993).

culled HERE

God bless you, brother. Another valuable contribution.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

There WILL NEVER be a USN without the tribes uniting first.
But unfortunately, the past is just too painful a record for some of us to delete.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Haven't you heard that the Midwest is part of Biafra? Ijaws live there so they are compelled to want to join their brothers in war, even without consultation. grin

For someone talking about unity, refusing to explain why the Ijaw people made untainable demand on other eastern Nigerians on the verge of the civil war; because "I was just too young" your sarcasm about Ijaws/Biafra/Igbos just doesn't help.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 8:30pm On Feb 26, 2009
naijaking1:

For someone talking about unity, refusing to explain why the Ijaw people made untainable demand on other eastern Nigerians on the verge of the civil war; because "I was just too young" your sarcasm about Ijaws/Biafra/Igbos just doesn't help.

Me, all i will tell the Igbos ------better luck next time
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:31pm On Feb 26, 2009

So what is bad in Azikwe's dream of one Nigeria??
That our leaders have been twats shouldn't be blamed on Nnamdi Azikwe.
He was a national HERO.
Because he misjudged the animosity among the tribes which is a common African problem. He was too western for Africa and look at the result now. Awolowo understood African politics more than Azikiwe. Na only book Azikiwe sabi. He gambled which may have worked if Nigeria is in Europe.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:35pm On Feb 26, 2009
There WILL NEVER be a USN without the tribes uniting first.
But unfortunately, the past is just too painful a record for some of us to delete.
No tribe is united in this world. it's there in the bible but they can find a way to work with each other amicably and the only way to do it is through education which will sharpen your common sense and us more civil. We can't even unite online how much less offline. They have many tribes in America, almost all of them were immigrants yet they are working together for the good of America. If the north remains backward in education and economy, you and I will remain down with them whether you like it or not so their backwardness is not only their problem but yours too. We got a big problem.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 8:37pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Because he misjudged the animosity among the tribes which is a common African problem. He was too western for Africa and look at the result now. Awolowo understood African politics more than Azikiwe. Na only book Azikiwe sabi. He gambled which may have worked if Nigeria is in Europe.

Oh come on.  Azikwe was a democrat and more diplomatic than Ojukwu the gra gra soldier.  Azikwe is a brilliant National HERO.  If Awolowo was that caring he wouldn't have allowed the wild wild west to happen.  We need to stop worshiping these first republican politicians and soldiers.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:39pm On Feb 26, 2009
naijaking1:

Lighten up brother. . . . the mistake Biafra made in trying to annexe the Midwest is the same mistake they made in the South-South. They ASSUMED that we wanted a war, even without consultation. Diplomacy in Igbo land has a long way to go. You keep asking why Ijaws betrayed their brothers - what betrayal, if we didn't agree to go to to war together in the first place?

Before asking Ijaws why they betrayed you, you should ask your FELLOW IGBOIDS why they didn't go to war with you - Ikwerres, Etches, Ahoadas, Ndonis. If you cannot get your own brothers on your side, that means Ijaws can be apportioned no blame. And if PH was against you, why was PH one of the last cities to fall? Surely, if the people were on Nigerias side, PH would have fallen before Onitsha and Awka. The truth is, the people were just civilians, not interested in fighting a war for either side.

That your fellow Igbo-speaking tribes in Rivers State did not back the war PROVES that the problem was not a betrayal by the Ijaw, but a lack of tact and diplomacy by the Igbo's. You fail to take into account the resentment felt in Rivers State toward the Igbo from their time as leaders of the South-East region. This was the sole reason why the WHOLE of Rivers State, including Igboids did not support the war. Maybe they already had a taste of Igbo rule and didn't like it.

Before any nation goes to war, it must consult its allies and make sure they are on-side. Simple!

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 8:40pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Difficult to disagree with you on Zik, but how would you have liked for him push Igbo interest like Awo pushed Yoruba interest, maybe other tribes would have been slaving for the Igbos by now. Once again, exerience and World history shows that such partisan tribalism is only good for the short run, on the long run, it's been shown to be counter productive.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 8:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Lighten up brother. . . . the mistake Biafra made in trying to annexe the Midwest is the same mistake they made in the South-South. They ASSUMED that we wanted a war, even without consultation. Diplomacy in Igbo land has a long way to go. You keep asking why Ijaws betrayed their brothers - what betrayal, if we didn't agree to go to to war together in the first place?

Before asking Ijaws why they betrayed you, you should ask your FELLOW IGBOIDS why they didn't go to war with you - Ikwerres, Etches, Ahoadas, Ndonis. If you cannot get your own brothers on your side, that means Ijaws have no blame. This litmus test PROVES that the problem was not a betrayal by the Ijaw, but a lack of tact and diplomacy by the Igbo's. because even their own fellow Igbo-speaking Rivers State tribes turned against them. You fail to take into account the resentment felt in Rivers State toward the Igbo from their time as leaders of the South-East region. This was the sole reason why the WHOLE of Rivers State, including Igboids did not support the war. Maybe they already had a taste of Igbo rule and didn't like it.

Before any nation goes to war, it must consult its allies and make sure they are on-side. Simple!

They still have that demeaning behaviour when they try to prove that everything east of R. Niger is Igbo. Until they realise we are all equal partners, any alliance will end up like the Biafran saga.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

No tribe is united in this world. it's there in the bible but they can find a way to work with each other amicably and the only way to do it is through education which will sharpen your common sense and us more civil. We can't even unite online how much less offline. They have many tribes in America, almost all of them were immigrants yet they are working together for the good of America. If the north remains backward in education and economy, you and I will remain down with them whether you like it or not so their backwardness is not only their problem but yours too. We got a big problem.
Ok, I agree. Lack of education and the want to uphold ancient cultural practices are the foundation of Nigeria's dilema(s).
Religion is also a contribution.
Truth be told, do I see a united Nigeria anytime soon? No.
I do pray that my children's children's children's children do live to see our efforts/ dreams  of reuniting Nigeria come through.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:45pm On Feb 26, 2009
ow11:

They still have that demeaning behaviour when they try to prove that everything east of R. Niger is Igbo. Until they realise we are all equal partners, any alliance will end up like the Biafran saga.

True talk!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:45pm On Feb 26, 2009
Oh come on.  Azikwe was a democrat and more diplomatic than Ojukwu the gra gra soldier.  Azikwe is a brilliant National HERO.  If Awolowo was that caring he wouldn't have allowed the wild wild west to happen.  We need to stop worshiping these first republican politicians and soldiers.

I am not saying I prefer Awolowo to Azikiwe. Of course, Azikiwe was a nationalist but what am saying is that his vision was not the right one for Africa at that time.  We were not mature enough to understand that system of govt. Common, Awo was already warring with Akintola as early as that time. Imagine how many wars we will be fighting in Nigeria now if we fostered the tribal interest over the national one.

We need to stop worshiping these first republican politicians and soldiers.

I am with you on this one.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

This is a huge heap of applesauce. . . .

Azikwe was a national HERO. . . .
He did not misjudge any animosity among the tribes.
Nigerians are just too difficult for their own good.

What is to say if there's a Yoruba nation. . . .Ijesha people and Ijebu goons will not fight for power??
Had Biafra succeeded, we would be talking about tribal wars between Imo people and Anambra people as well.
Africans are just what they are. . . . .AFRICANS(we are never satisfied).
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ok, I agree. Lack of education and the want to uphold ancient cultural practices are the foundation of Nigeria's dilema(s).
Religion is also a contribution.
Truth be told, do I see a united Nigeria anytime soon? No.
I do pray that my children's children's children's children do live to see our efforts/ dreams  of reuniting come through.

Which effort in the making if I may ask?. Do we have a plan in the current state called Nigeria?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2009

This is a huge heap of applesauce. . . .

Azikwe was a national HERO. . . .
He did not misjudge any animosity among the tribes.
Nigerians are just too difficult for their own good.
What is to say if there's a Yoruba nation. . . .Ijesha people and Ijebu goons will not fight for power??
Had Biafra succeeded, we would be talking about tribal wars between Imo people and Anambra people as well.
Africans are just what they are. . . . .AFRICANS(we are never satisfied).

Azikiwe is dead. What do you suggest we do in order to solve this problem because there is really no need whining about it everyday?. Are we ungovernable?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2009
I'll enjoin every Nigerian and indeed any "Biafran" who has never done so to go and read the ahiara declaration by Ojukwu in 1969.
It was so prophetic.
let me post an excerpt and a link to the full text.

[b]The Biafran struggle is, on another plane, a resistance to the Arab-Muslim expansionism, which has menaced and ravaged the African continent for twelve centuries,

Our Biafran ancestors remained immune from the Islamic contagion. From the middle years of the last century Christianity was established in our land. In this way we came to be a predominantly Christian people. We came to stand out as a non-Muslim island in a raging Islamic sea. Throughout the period of the ill-fated Nigerian experiment, the Muslims hoped to infiltrate Biafra by peaceful means and quiet propaganda, but failed. Then the late Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto tried, by political and economic blackmail and terrorism, to convert Biafrans settled in Northern Nigeria to Islam. His hope was that these Biafrans of dispersion would then carry Islam to Biafra, and by so doing give the religion political control of the area. The crises, which agitated the so-called independent Nigeria from 1962, gave these aggressive proselytisers the chance to try converting us by force. [/b]

[b]It is now evident why the fanatic Arab-Muslim states like Algeria, Egypt and the Sudan have come out openly and massively to support and aid Nigeria i[/b]n her present war of genocide against us. These states see militant Arabism as a powerful instrument for attaining power in the world. Biafra is one of the few African states untainted by Islam. Therefore, to militant Arabism, Biafra is a stumbling block to their plan for controlling the whole continent. This control is fast becoming manifest in the Organization of African Unity. On the question of the Middle East, the Sudanese crisis, in the war between Nigeria and Biafra, militant Arabism has succeeded in imposing its point of view through blackmail and bluster.

It has threatened African leaders and governments with inciting their Muslim minorities to rebellion if the governments adopted an independent line on these questions. In this way an O.A.U. that has not felt itself able to discuss the genocide in the Sudan and Biafra, an O A.U. that has again and again advertised its ineptitude as a peace maker, has rushed into open condemnation of Israel over the Middle East dispute. Indeed, in recent times, by its performance, the O.A.U. might well be an organization of Arab unity.

Our struggle, in an even more fundamental sense, is the culmination of the confrontation between Negro nationalism and white imperialism. It is a movement designed to ensure the realization of man's full stature in Africa.

Ever since the 15th Century, the European world has treated the African continent as a field for exploitation. Their policies in Africa have for so long been determined to a very great extent by their greed for economic gain. For over three and half centuries, it suited them to transport and transplant millions of the flower of our manhood for the purpose of exploiting the Americas and the West Indies. They did so with no uneasiness of conscience. They justified this trade in men by reference to biblical passages violently torn out of context,  This brutal and unprecedented rape of a whole continent was a violent challenge to Negro self-respect. Not surprisingly, within half a century the theory and practice of empire ran into stiff opposition from Negro nationalism. In the face of the movement for Negro freedom the white imperialists changed their tactics. They decided to install puppet African administrations to create the illusion of political independence, while retaining the control of the economy. And this they quickly did between 1957 and 1965. The direct empire was transformed into an indirect empire, that regime of fraud and exploitation, which African nationalists aptly describe as neo- colonialism.

Nigeria was a classic example of neo-colonialist state, and what is left of it, still is. The militant nationalism of the late forties and early fifties had caught the British imperialists unawares. They hurried to accommodate it by in stalling the ignorant, decadent and feudalistic Hausa-Fulani oligarchy in power. For the British, the credentials of the Hausa-Fulani were that not having emerged from the middle ages they knew nothing about the modern state and the powerful forces that now rule men's minds. Owing their position to the British, they were servile and submissive. The result was that while Nigerians lived in the illusion of independence, they were still in fact being ruled from Number 10 Downing Street. The British still enjoyed a strangle hold on their economy.

The crises, which rocked Nigeria from the morrow of ‘independence’, were brought about by the efforts of progressive nationalists to achieve true in dependence for themselves and for posterity. For their part in this effort, Biafrans were stigmatised and singled out for extermination. In imperialist thinking, only phoney independence is good for blacks. The sponsorship of Nigeria by white imperialism has not been disinterested. They are only concerned with the preservation of that corrupt and rickety structure of a Nigeria in a perpetual state of powerlessness to check foreign exploitation, 

Fellow countrymen and women, we have seen in proper perspective the diabolical roles, which the British Government and the foreign companies have played and are playing, in our war with Nigeria. We now see why in spite of Britain's tottering economy Harold Wilson's Government insists on financing Nigeria's futile war against us. We see why the Shell-BP led the Nigerian hordes into Bonny, pay Biafran oil royalties to Nigeria, and provided the Nigerian army with all the help it needed for its attack on Port Harcourt. We see why the West African Conference readily and meekly cooperated with Gowon in the imposition of a total blockade against us. We see why the oil and trading companies in Nigeria still finance this war and why they risk the life and limb of their staff in the war zones.

Fellow Biafrans, these are the evil and titanic forces with which we are engaged in a life and death struggle. These are the obstacles to the Negro's efforts to realize himself. Thugs rag the forces, which the Biafran revolution must sweep aside to succeed,  We do not claim that the Biafran revolution is the first attempt in history by the Negro to assert his identity, to claim his right and proper place as a human being on a basic of equality with the white and yellow races. We are aware of the Negro's past and present efforts to prove his ability at home and abroad. We are familiar with his achievements in pre-history; we are familiar with his achievements in political organizations; we are familiar with his contributions to the world store of art and culture. The Negro's white oppressors are not unaware of all these. But instead of their awareness they are not prepared to admit that the Negro is a man and a brother. From this derives our deep conviction that the Biafran revolution is not just a movement of Igbos, Ibibios, Ijaws, and Ogojas. It is a movement of true and patriotic Africans. It is African nationalism conscious of itself and fully aware of the powers with which it is contending, 

We have indeed come a long way. We were once Nigerians, today we are Biafrans. We are Biafrans because on May 30, 1967, we finally said 'no' to the evils and injustices in which Nigeria was steeped. Nigeria was made up of peoples and groups with very little in common. As everyone knows, Biafrans were in the forefront among those who tried to make Nigeria a nation. It is ironic that some ill-informed and mischievous people today will accuse us of breaking up a united African country. Only those who do not know the facts or deliberately ignore them can hold such an opinion. We know the facts because we were there and the things that happened, happened to us.

Nigeria was indeed a very wicked and corrupt country in spite of the glorious image given her in the European press We know why Nigeria was given that image. It was her reward for serving the economic and political interests of her European masters. Nigeria is a stooge of Europe. Her independence was and is a lie. Even her Prime Minister was a Knight of the British Empire; but worse than her total subservience to foreign political and economic interests, Nigeria committed many crimes against her nationals, which in the end made complete nonsense of her claim to unity. Nigeria persecuted and slaughtered her minorities; Nigerian justice was a farce, her elections, her politics her everything was corrupt. Qualification, merit and experience were dislocated in public service. In one area of Nigeria, for instance, they preferred to turn a nurse who had worked for five years into a doctor rather than employ a qualified doctor from another part of Nigeria. Barely literate clerks were made Permanent Secretaries. A university Vice Chancellor was sacked because he belonged to the wrong tribe. Bribery, corruption and nepotism were so widespread that people began to wonder openly whether any country in the world could compare with Nigeria in corruption and abuse of power. All the modern institutions the legislature the civil service, the army, the police, the judiciary, the universities, the trade unions and the organs of mass information were devalued and made the tools of corrupt political power. There was complete neglect and impoverishment of the people. Whatever prosperity there was, was deceptive. There was despair in many hearts, and the number of suicides was growing every day. The farmers were very hard- hit. Their standards of living had fallen steeply. The soil was perishing from over-farming and lack of scientific husbandry. The towns, like the soil, were wastelands into which people put in too much exertion for too little reward. There were crime waves and people lived in fear of their lives. Business speculation, rack-renting, worship of money and sharesmiley practices left a few people extremely rich at the expense of the many, and those few flaunted their wealth before the many and talked about sharing the national cake. Foreign interests did roaring business spreading consumer goods and wares among a people who had not developed a habit of thrift and well fell prey to lying advertisements. Inequality of the sexes was actively promoted in Nigeria. Rather than aspire to equality with men, women were encouraged to accept the status of inferiority and to become the mistresses of successful politicians and business executive, or they were married off at the age of fourteen as the fifteenth wives of the new rich. That was the glorious Nigeria, the mythical Nigeria, celebrated in the European press.

Then worst of all came the genocide in which over 50,000 of our kith and kin were slaughtered in cold blood all over Nigeria and nobody asked questions; nobody showed regret; nobody showed remorse. Thus, Nigeria had become a jungle with no safety, no justice and no hope for our people. We decided then to found a new place, a human habitation away from the Nigerian jungle. That was the origin of our revolution. From the moment we assumed the illustrious name of the ancient kingdom of Biafra, we were rediscovering the original independence of a great African people. We accepted by this revolutionary act the glory, as well as the sacrifice, of true independence and freedom. We knew that we had challenged the many forces and interests, which had conspired to keep Africa and the black race in subjection forever. We knew they were going to be ruthless and implacable in defence of their age-old imposition on us and exploitation of our people. But we were prepared, and remain prepared, to pay any price for our freedom and dignity

http://www.africaresource.com/war/vol2.2/biafra/ahiara.htm
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ow11

which part of Ijaw land are you from?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2009
Ibime:

Before asking Ijaws why they betrayed you, you should ask your FELLOW IGBOIDS why they didn't go to war with you - Ikwerres, Etches, Ahoadas, Ndonis. If you cannot get your own brothers on your side, that means Ijaws can be apportioned no blame. And if PH was against you, why was PH one of the last cities to fall? Surely, if the people were on Nigerias side, PH would have fallen before Onitsha and Awka. The truth is, the people were just civilians, not interested in fighting a war for either side.

That your fellow Igbo-speaking tribes in Rivers State did not back the war PROVES that the problem was not a betrayal by the Ijaw, but a lack of tact and diplomacy by the Igbo's. You fail to take into account the resentment felt in Rivers State toward the Igbo from their time as leaders of the South-East region. This was the sole reason why the WHOLE of Rivers State, including Igboids did not support the war. Maybe they already had a taste of Igbo rule and didn't like it.

You're so ignorant of Eastern Nigeria counties and the re-drawing of the maps to "weaken the Igbos" as Umaru Dikko called it. I have told you that anypart could have been carved out of Igboland by the Justice Nasir commission. The Igbos in Rivers in 1960 saw themselves as no different from the Igbos in Aba or Owerri, so when you say that the Igboid tribes in Rivers rejected Biafran effort--- I say there you go again with another big fat lie embarassed
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2009
Inequality of the sexes was actively promoted in Nigeria. Rather than aspire to equality with men, women were encouraged to accept the status of inferiority and to become the mistresses of successful politicians and business executive, or t[b]hey were married off at the age of fourteen as the fifteenth wives of the new rich[/b]

Oh am loving Ojukwu. He wrote this in 1969?

In one area of Nigeria, for instance, they preferred to turn a nurse who had worked for five years into a doctor rather than employ a qualified doctor from another part of Nigeria
. Barely literate clerks were made Permanent Secretaries. A university Vice Chancellor was sacked because he belonged to the wrong tribe. Bribery, corruption and nepotism were so widespread that people began to wonder openly whether any country in the world could compare with Nigeria in corruption and abuse of power.

Who else will do this if not Hausas?. Who will be crazy enough to convert a nurse into a doctor?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2009
St.Funmi:

Azikiwe is dead. What do you suggest we do in order to solve this problem because there is really no need whining about it everyday?. Are we ungovernable?

Leave things as it is. . . . . . .There's no credible reason to split Nigeria into THREE!!!
I doubt this would stop the strife and ethnic wars we have always known.
Ijaw/Itshekiri. . . . . Ife/Modakeke. Would splitting Nigeria stop these 2 groups from fighting another war??

@ Osisi,

Keep it summarised, abeg. . . . .
Is that a thesis?? grin grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2009
@Osisi
Thanks for the Ahiara post, it sums up my arguement.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 8:58pm On Feb 26, 2009
Leave things as it is. . . . . . .There's no credible reason to split Nigeria into THREE!!!
I doubt this would stop the strife and ethnic wars we have always known.
Ijaw/Itshekiri. . . . . Ife/Modakeke. Would splitting Nigeria stop this 2 groups from fighting another war??
You suggest we remain like this till jesus comes?. Something gotta be done. Yorubas may not be united but that is because we are knowledgeable and civilized enough to know when one of ours is leading us to the right or wrong path. Do you think that if BecomeRich is hausa, he'll be receiving all these insults from his own kinsmen?. So how do you reason and work with such a person whose interest is to support any idea from any man from his tribe whether it makes sense or not?. Is it not better to break away from them and start remodeling our own nation for a better tomorrow?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by osisi2(f): 8:59pm On Feb 26, 2009
naijaking1:

@Osisi
Thanks for the Ahiara post, it sums up my arguement.

The guy was a visionary
Everything he fought for,every Nigerian tribe besides Hausas can agree with
It's only a fool or an illiterate that'll say Biafra went to war for no reason.
If Hausas rose up today and murdered 50,000 Yorubas in cold blood,I bet you Yorubas wouldn't want anything to do with Nigeria.
It was Biafra yesterday,the Ijaws are currently enjoying what it menas to be killed and pillaged
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Sauron1: 9:00pm On Feb 26, 2009
**osisi:

If Hausas rose up today and murdered 50,000 Yorubas in cold blood,I bet you Yorubas wouldn't want anything to do with Nigeria.
It was Biafra yesterday,the Ijaws are currently enjoying what it menas to be killed and pillaged

Yorubas are gentle souls. . . . .We don't go to WAR.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by StFunmi(f): 9:05pm On Feb 26, 2009
Yorubas are gentle souls. . . . .We don't go to WAR.

grin grin grin  Oba Ofinran  used broom to pursue the Nupes from Oyo abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Oyinbo Man Dances For Ooni Ogunwusi & His Crew - See Photos / N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.