Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68851 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by kandiikane(m): 5:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:

The largest thing we know in science is a Brane. cool
Brands contain universes.
Universes contain clusters. But,
Clusters are made of galaxies.
Galaxies are made of stars . . . well, mostly stars. smiley
Stars have systems.
Each star system has planets. shocked
Planets have . . . "spheres" our planet, Earth, has a biosphere
This biosphere is made of living organisms. Like you and I . . . and goats. cheesy
These organisms are made of organic systems. wink
These systems are made up of organs. tongue like that tongue.
Organs are made of tissue. grin
Tissue, is made of cells shocked
Cells are made up of organelles.
Organelles . . . are made up of GIANT molecules! shocked shocked
Molecules are made up of atoms . . . grin
Now, atoms are made of subatomic particles . . . the electron, the protons, neutrons. cool cool
Wait . . . even the neutron is made up of the electron and the proton.
The proton is made of quarks!
And quarks are made up of little, cute, superstrings.

Gluons keep the atom core together and photons are the senior messengers that carry energy. lipsrsealed little neutrinos are the junior messengers. grin grin they can go anywhere.
We must not forget the higgs boson. This bulky guy gives all the other particles mass!!
The electron is the negative guy that actually allows matter to occupy space!! Without that dude, matter would smash into each other and form huge black holes shocked
But nothing would be complete without the graviton. A really, really small particle which is really good at hiding. angry angry
It allows you to play football, play "no bouncing" cheesy jump, play basketball, even swim shocked

The universe is fascinating!! Each level of arrangements have a whole lot of juicy facts and patterns that can make your head swirl with excitement!!
Which is why we study it with mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology! And in science, our ultimate goal is to be able to explain every thing. To understand your universe. From the smallest string, to the largest Brane. In fact, EVERYTHING

Cheers!

What makes up the superstrings?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:03pm On Jun 21, 2015
Queed:

johnnydon22
l be wan follow you because of ur interest in astronomy, bt this1 wey u no believe in God grin

Lol. . . Belief/Unbelief in deity concepts makes no difference in scientific discussions or studies. . Belief impairs no one to study or discuss science except for some who for the so reason of finding some scientific facts contradictory to their belief chose to forgo/dismiss these facts to uphold their belief or superstition wink

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by koife(m): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
Pls does any one in the house in have alternative way of calculating adsorption equilibrium constant (Kad) apart from using the square correlation coefficient (Rsquare) from the linear plot of of isotherm equation?
I used El-awady etal isotherm but because of variant error in linear equation parameters of the isotherm assumptions I ignored using the slope and intercept as log (Kads), rather I used the quasi chemical approximation and assumptions based on law of mass action. Kads =tita/(1-tita)xC...pls am I correct?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by KennyLenz(m): 6:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fascinating, I'm in
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by rockiedink(m): 6:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Well, That's Why it's called one of the "WONDERS" of the world. IT'S like asking for a scientific explanation of the Alexandria light house. It's a cosmic pre ordination that precedes any intelligence and it can never be deduced logically.

Technically you're wrong amigo...

The mausoleum can be explained...as can the temple at Halicarnassus...or the statue of Diana...by science.

So postulating that because it's called a 'wonder' means it can't be explained is balderdash. Because our forebears in the 1600s couldn't explain gunpowder and ammunition didn't mean that guns were magic did they?

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:

Technically you're wrong amigo...

The mausoleum can be explained...as can the temple at Halicarnassus...or the statue of Diana...by science.

So postulating that because it's called a 'wonder' means it can't be explained is balderdash. Because our forebears in the 1600s couldn't explain gunpowder and ammunition didn't mean that guns were magic did they?
Waiting for the Hanging garden explanation then Mate
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
it is. Nicolas could only prove that with mathematics. Without math, all science is just philosophy. It is maths that gives the final proof of any knowledge evolved.
While I was growing, I use to queried myself for the significance of mathematics because one is rarely thought importance of mathematics other than 1×1 to simultaneous to quadratic then jump to binomial and polynomial .... etc ..... Through soul searching , I was able to discovered that Everything in this life even the entire universe is built on MATHEMATICS . The fact that some branches of knowledge are devoid of equations doesn't imply mathematics ain't present .... any element containing measurements is mathmatics.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
menesheh:

Unless is not you. I tot it was a guy i argued with in religion section that couldn't defend his claims.

I was so swift in my action after my initia response to ur reasons for the statement you made.

I satire too and gat no reasons to rain abusive words on you.

Cheer
Does me user name look like that which you had an earlier argument with
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Lawconfessor(f): 6:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Cindino20:
Welcome ...Chemistry is fun

Indeed, an industrial chemist!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

I am of the opinion that the hanging gardens can be explained . . (mind you it is not literally plants floating on mid air) . . its a matter good functioning irrigation system to keep the plants alive to which am sure even you and i can tender a hypothesis without having to study the gardens personally
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by rockiedink(m): 6:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

I am of the opinion that the hanging gardens can be explained . . (mind you it is not literally plants floating on mid air) . . its a matter good functioning irrigation system to keep the plants alive to which am sure even you and i can tender a hypothesis without having to study the gardens personally

You don dey use your brain...like a scuentitist!!! Hehehe

Chop knuckle!!! grin grin cool cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:

You don dey use your brain...like a scuentitist!!! Hehehe
Chop knuckle!!! grin grin cool cool
Lol...wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by rockiedink(m): 6:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

The key to understanding the 'hanging gardens' is to remember that Babylon was in the desert...and vegetation was sparse...

It's also known that the gardens had multiple terraces...

Since we know the water wheel had been invented at this time, who's to say there wasn't a duct through which a water wheel (or something similar...you get the drift) pushed water all the way to the top of this formation...

Then by a series of carefully planned, cut and channeled grooves and well laid soil within these terraces, allow gravity to do the rest of his work of 'watering' the 'garden' and then all you need is a knowledgeable husbandman and voila! You can have whatever plants you wanted and all would work as it should....

That's one way of looking at it mate...

If they could build the pyramids and the sphinx...

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Moffyman(m): 6:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nice onecheesy
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1miccza: 6:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
I hope you realize what would happen if you were to suddenly fall?
The terminal velocity of the human body is 360m/s. Multiply that with your mass, you will experience an average force of 36000N upon hitting the ground.
Abeg, come down.

Ehn and if you calculate all this force and velocity how e wan take add sugar to my gari. Please what goes up must remain up oo i love my position,after all John Newton said so or is that not that ibo boy's name?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:

The key to understanding the 'hanging gardens' is to remember that Babylon was in the desert...and vegetation was sparse...

Since we know the water wheel had been invented at this time, who's to say there wasn't a duct through which a water wheel (or something similar...you get the drift) pushed water all the way to the top of this formation...

Then by a series of carefully planned, cut and channeled grooves and well laid soil within these terraces, allow gravity to do the rest of his work of 'watering' the 'garden' and then all you need is a knowledgeable husbandman and voila! You can have whatever plants you wanted and all would work as it should....

Potent argument Mate...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

Noted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1miccza: 6:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
TYPING FROM THE TOP OF MY PALM TREE

Please can someone link electronegativity with Ionic bonding or at least compare electronegativity with Ionic bonding??
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1miccza: 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:

Talking about carefully channelled grooves , that would be one hell of a task and do the water wheels shoot sprays of water upwards??
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
dainty:
@ teempakguy, pls, can you explain why genetic variation makes cancer difficult to treat? thanks in anticipation
Hello. smiley
Unfortunately, I am not an expert on advanced genetics. But, I can offer something.

It would seem that genetic diversity is highly useful in determining the survival of a certain class of organisms. The more diverse a species is, the higher its chances of being able to adapt to its environment and hence, the higher its chances of survival.
As we know, cancer is a situation in which a neoplasm spontaneously arises. Endangering the host organism. In this case, a new system has formed which acts as a parasite to the host. If we are to refer to this as a separate organism, sort of, it follows from the above that the higher the genetic diversity of the parent cells, the higher the chances of the neoplasm, e.g, tumor surviving. Simply because it can adapt.

Another way of looking at it is that genetic diversity makes the behaviour of tumors or cancer cells unpredictable. It is uncertain, what will affect the cell, positively, negatively, or not at all.

Another way, yet, of looking at this is that cancer cells, due to genetic diversity, cannot be classified because each clone has a different genetic make up. It is not like malaria, in which, all the plasmodium have the same Genetic make up and can be finished off with a single drug. A cancer cell is essentially brand new and varies across each individual.

These are my humble submissions. smiley I trust the biologists here will add and subtract.

Cheers!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Queed: 7:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Lol. . . Belief/Unbelief in deity concepts makes no difference in scientific discussions or studies. . Belief impairs no one to study or discuss science except for some who for the so reason of finding some scientific facts contradictory to their belief chose to forgo/dismiss these facts to uphold their belief or superstition wink

This is 'purely' correct, and its the fact too.

I always try to have an open mind about everything, and when scientific facts contradict believe or the other way round, I always put to use the the law postulated by some QUALIFIED grin African Teacher/Lecturers know as 'Gba bee's ' (youruba language meaning take it like that cheesy) theory.
like u asked in your other post; 'why does rain fall' , I would accept the scientific facts and also accept the 'Belief'

hope you don't start seeing me as a nuisance because I believe grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
Lushcream:
While I was growing, I use to queried myself for the significance of mathematics because one is rarely thought importance of mathematics other than 1×1 to simultaneous to quadratic then jump to binomial and polynomial .... etc ..... Through soul searching , I was able to discovered that Everything in this life even the entire universe is built on MATHEMATICS . The fact that some branches of knowledge are devoid of equations doesn't imply mathematics ain't present .... any element containing measurements is mathmatics.
you are very correct. Mathematics is the study of quantities, patterns, and the relationship between them. My definition, of course. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
kandiikane:

What makes up the superstrings?
WE DON'T KNOW. sad

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by rockiedink(m): 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
1miccza:

Talking about carefully channelled grooves , that would be one hell of a task and do the water wheels shoot sprays of water upwards??

Trust me...or ask any engineer...channelling those grooves are nowhere near as hard as building the pyramids themselves...piece of cake.

The water wheel is basically a contraption to harness hydropower...let's say a very basic for of a hydro turbine...but with the right add-ons, you can channel that water anywhere you want. The water wheel doesn't spray the water...it can direct the flow of water...

...and with a bit of pressure properly applied...anywhere could be 'upwards'
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Queed:

This is 'purely' correct, and its the fact too.

I always try to have an open mind about everything, and when scientific facts contradict believe or the other way round, I always put to use the the law postulated by some QUALIFIED grin African Teacher/Lecturers know as 'Gba bee's ' (youruba language meaning take it like that cheesy) theory.
like u asked in your other post; 'why does rain fall' , I would accept the scientific facts and also accept the 'Belief'

hope you don't start seeing me as a nuisance because I believe grin

No bro you pose no nuisance because you have a belief. . It actually still will make it more interesting. . anyway be good bro
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by samwayne154(m): 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
ELYMAXiimus:

i'm in!
I hope more nd more science enthusiasts join, so that we can get to know nd help one another!

Btw, Nice post. That thing you said about the dining nd the toilet was really funny.
Keep the goodwork going..
I want 2 also join how can I? Or is it d normal science $ technology forum?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
1miccza:

Nope the water wheels just need to take the water into a channelling system that will have a fairly well distributed channel through out the garden. . so it is a huge architectural task but do not forget who we are dealing with here, not just any king but the mighty, rich and powerful. . Nebuchadenezeer smiley he has the resources to achieve that as many times as he wants
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
I have a theory of the concept behind the hanging gardens.

Well, after studying the pictures of the gardens, I find nothing impossible about them.
What if instead of the elaborate engineering you guys are suggesting, what if they simply employed human labour? As in, lots of servants to water the gardens? That seems like a simple solution.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
samwayne154:
I want 2 also join how can I? Or is it d normal science $ technology forum?
just post your ideas and/or questions here. People will reply you. smiley
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
AreaFada2:

I think science is too factual. It's empirical, based on evidence and requires a certain intellectual depth. It tasks the mind a lot more. It is also not as interesting or entertaining like calling GEJ names and making wild speculations.

Many scientists may not even be registered here, but read some stuff and leave.
Our economic system is not encouraging too. If engineers, biochemists, pharmacists, mathematicians have to look for banking jobs anyway, why bother?

The binary system used in computing today has long been used by Ifa priests for divination, for millennia, some of the oldest wooden mathematical instruments possibly used in calculating the calendar, menstrual cycle or both, were discovered in central Africa. The ancient pyramid builders of Nubia, mostly likely the origins of the Luxor/Giza pyramids definitely used mathematical knowledge in doing so.

of course. Science is tasking. Which is why one can easily know how intelligent a society is by checking their involvement in science. grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by 1miccza: 7:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

Nope the water wheels just need to take the water into a channelling system that will have a fairly well distributed channel through out the garden. . so it is a huge architectural task but do not forget who we are dealing with here, not just any king but the mighty, rich and powerful. . Nebuchadenezeer smiley he has the resources to achieve that as many times as he wants

Yeah that sure shows that civilization and science is as old as time itself...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
1miccza:

Yeah that sure shows that civilization and science is as old as time itself...

I agree those two concepts are very ancient, they are just improving now

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply)

Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics) / Escaped Lion Found In Kano Zoo After Devouring Goats In Their Cage / Rare Orange-Eyed Owl Not Seen For Almost 125 Years Is Spotted In Malaysia (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.