Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

The Sciences Discussion Thread. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Sciences Discussion Thread. (68643 Views)

Universe Or Multiverse. (A Discussion) / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

What is the procedure of scientism?
observation-->hypothesis-->experiment-->formulation of theory-->further experiment-->conversion of theory into law.
I am right, am I not?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:
Oya...my own question:

How can we explain the structure and layout of "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon" considering the technology available at the time?

We're the plants actually 'hanging'? How did they irrigate the whole complex? Was it actual shrubs or lesser plants (like algae and spirogyra cool)

Ministerial nomination for the best answer!!! grin grin grin

Well, That's Why it's called one of the "WONDERS" of the world. IT'S like asking for a scientific explanation of the Alexandria light house. It's a cosmic pre ordination that precedes any intelligence and it can never be deduced logically.

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by khalhokage(m): 1:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
uhm . . . a few minutes ago? tongue
Lol, apart from this one.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
Samguine:

In my opinion, Mathematics is the purest form of science. All other branches of science would be meaningless without Mathematics.
exactly. . . that is what I was telling freemanan.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by BigBen10: 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:

Hi there!
Teempakguy here. smiley

So, I have been observing the science/technology section a lot recently . . . and I have to say, it focuses more on technology than science. I have also noticed that threads opened waste away, with about an average of two posts per thread. I think the problem here is a real life application the chicken egg problem. So, to solve it, the obvious solution, is to form a congregation of people interested in science in one place. Hence the creation of this thread.

So, here is how things go, we are going to be talking on topics based on the natural sciences. Physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, and of course, their basic applications. So, if you have a problem on any of those, try and post it here. In the mean time, if you stumble upon this thread and you don't have anything to add or subtract, please make sure you book space. cheesy
I'm serious. Book space and tell us your area of specialization so that other people can mention you in their posts. Because, honestly, in this section, nobody knows anybody else.

Meanwhile, I have some suggestions. If you want to give a complex mathematical expression, do not type it. Instead, write it on a paper or board and upload a photo of it. Same goes if you want to solve it. Or you could use mathlab android app. smiley this is to make the whole process more interesting and easy to follow.

Any level is allowed. Whether it be primary school arithmetic cheesy or PhD string theory . . . you will eventually find someone to express interest in it. smiley

You can just come by and drop interesting or random facts . . . like for instance, The Pythagoras' theorem is older than Pythagoras cheesy

Or you can just tell us something yoiu observed in your daily life . . . for instance, why does a bar of soap form an hourglass figure after regular usage?

You can also challenge popular views. For instance, since toilet floors are the most frequently cleaned in most houses, isn't it safer to eat food from a toilet floor than a dining room floor. Which gathers more bacteria than that of the toilet?

There. I am finished. Oyah, come and occupy, the floor. Remember, small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events. And great minds discuss ideas. Which one are you? smiley wink

Cc.
Blakjewelry
Pakingzzz
Amaa4real
Harjorlah
Peterken05
Besea
Saintneo
Timflex
Soldierdollar
Beatsbyj2g
UrennaNkoli

Cheers!

what is a brand or brane? Never heard of that before. I thought we just have one universe.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Well, That's Why it's called one of the "WONDERS" of the world. IT'S like asking for a scientific explanation of the Alexandria light house. It's a cosmic pre ordination that precedes any intelligence and it can never be deduced logically.
tongue I will explain it.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Slimzjoe:
Space booked

I Use Gregor mendel head take beg everybody grin

Pleeeeaaasssseeeee don't quote long Posts! Pleeeaaaasseeee! cry

Gregor Mendel? Wasn't that the Austrian or Australian monk that carried out experiments on pea plants to study genes?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
observation-->hypothesis-->experiment-->formulation of theory-->further experiment-->conversion of theory into law.
I am right, am I not?

You are right but it's incomplete.... One thing that is constant in science is evolution of knowledge. Like the evolution of the astrological facts by Nicholas Copernicus.... The Catholics hold the earth to be flat but he debunked that with a superior fact. Now mathematics is not like that. Is it?

2 Likes

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by intergral(m): 1:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
shocked shocked shocked

It made front page . . .
This proves that the mods are not so wealth hungry as we previously thought.

Intergral . . . I sight you oh!

Menesheh . . . let me finish!

Now, when DNA acquires a mistake in its gene programming, it has to be repaired immediately . . .usually, it gets repaired. But sometimes, it doesn't. Then the mutation becomes permanently engraved in and EVERY cell that comes from that cell will be similarly mutated. Even spermatozoa or the egg! And when this happens, during fertilization, this mutation is passed on to the offspring. cool

This is usually the kind of mutation that affects natural selection. There are various other types . . . but these only affect a few cells and are not passed on to offsprings. These are caused by radicals, radiation, and viruses. shocked

I hope this answers your question.

erico2k2, abeg, free mah guy. cheesy
Cap on ma chest head facing ma toes... Ah hail!
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 21, 2015
rockiedink:
Oya...my own question:

How can we explain the structure and layout of "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon" considering the technology available at the time?

We're the plants actually 'hanging'? How did they irrigate the whole complex? Was it actual shrubs or lesser plants (like algae and spirogyra cool)

Ministerial nomination for the best answer!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
BigBen10:

what is a brand or brane? Never heard of that before. I thought we just have one universe.
a brane. It is a formulation of string theory. It has to exist for string theory to work. And if it does, it will be the biggest thing. It is basically a three dimensional surface on which our universe is. It is proposed that gravitons can escape from brane to brane. Hence the reason why gravity is the weakest force.

If branes exist, it means there are other universes out there! Multiple worlds.

Unfortunately, it also proofs that heaven and hell may exist. . . . if you are agnostic, that is.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:

Gregor Mendel? Wasn't that the Austrian or Australian monk that carried out experiments on pea plants to study genes?
Correct... Too bad his glory Came posthumous
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by nurd(m): 1:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
im in
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by menesheh(m): 1:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
ELYMAXiimus:

i'm sure there are people who are crazy about science here on NL.
But they are outnumbered by uninterested persons!
Plus they are not always online. (scientist don't have much time for social media). They can only come around once in a while.
Nd when they do, only one or two topics might interest them.

But i'm sure if this thread gets recognision, we would havee more of them coming online frequently to discuss ideas nd so on...

Perhaps if the thread could get on the FP. @ op

Your thread is making brain now. One bottle of chilled origin for you menn.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
tongue I will explain it.
Educate me Mate...
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:
Correct... Too bad his glory Came posthumous
Oh! That's pretty bad.

Was he Austrian or Australian?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:

Oh! That's pretty bad.

Austrian.... That Country is known for great scientists.... Marie Curie and all..

1 Like

Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy, you are a certified NERD! (no offience) grin
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

You are right but it's incomplete.... One thing that is constant in science is evolution of knowledge. Like the evolution of the astrological facts by Nicholas Copernicus.... The Catholics hold the earth to be flat but he debunked that with a superior fact. Now mathematics is not like that. Is it?
it is. Nicolas could only prove that with mathematics. Without math, all science is just philosophy. It is maths that gives the final proof of any knowledge evolved.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Samguine: 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:

Oh! That's pretty bad.

Austrian
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:
exactly. . . that is what I was telling freemanan.

Lol.... Have you Heard of Logic? The abstract form of mathematics....
intergral:
Cap on ma chest head facing ma toes... Ah hail!
cool cool
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by soloxxng: 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Notwithstanding the fact that I've got little to offer here.. I am wholly in
Freemanan:

Austrian.... That Country is known for great scientists.... Marie Curie and all..

Do you remember the names of the two men that modelled the gene formation? They received a Nobel Prize Award.
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol.... Have you Heard of Logic?
. . . the very backbone of mathematics . . . which one again?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by taharqa: 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Teempakguy:

The largest thing we know in science is a Brane. cool
Brands contain universes.
Universes contain clusters. But,
Clusters are made of galaxies.
Galaxies are made of stars . . . well, mostly stars. smiley
Stars have systems.
Each star system has planets. shocked
Planets have . . . "spheres" our planet, Earth, has a biosphere
This biosphere is made of living organisms. Like you and I . . . and goats. cheesy
These organisms are made of organic systems. wink
These systems are made up of organs. tongue like that tongue.
Organs are made of tissue. grin
Tissue, is made of cells shocked
Cells are made up of organelles.
Organelles . . . are made up of GIANT molecules! shocked shocked
Molecules are made up of atoms . . . grin
Now, atoms are made of subatomic particles . . . the electron, the protons, neutrons. cool cool
Wait . . . even the neutron is made up of the electron and the proton.
The proton is made of quarks!
And quarks are made up of little, cute, superstrings.

Gluons keep the atom core together and photons are the senior messengers that carry energy. lipsrsealed little neutrinos are the junior messengers. grin grin they can go anywhere.
We must not forget the higgs boson. This bulky guy gives all the other particles mass!!
The electron is the negative guy that actually allows matter to occupy space!! Without that dude, matter would smash into each other and form huge black holes shocked
But nothing would be complete without the graviton. A really, really small particle which is really good at hiding. angry angry
It allows you to play football, play "no bouncing" cheesy jump, play basketball, even swim shocked

The universe is fascinating!! Each level of arrangements have a whole lot of juicy facts and patterns that can make your head swirl with excitement!!
Which is why we study it with mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology! And in science, our ultimate goal is to be able to explain every thing. To understand your universe. From the smallest string, to the largest Brane. In fact, EVERYTHING

Cheers!

I love this, mehn.

In fact, following thread....
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by baggylips(m): 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nice thread...lets discuss biotechnology...Any biotechnologist in the house?
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by animalz: 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
SONS OF AN ANIMAL

BLACK MAN DON'T SPEAK THE WORD OF SCIENCE.

WE ONLY SPEAK THE WORD OF AN ANIMAL.

A K A. ZOO REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
laykorn:
Teempakguy, you are a certified NERD! (no offience) grin
cheesy
I'll take that as a compliment. wink
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Harmvirus(f): 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Following
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
animalz:
SONS OF AN ANIMAL

BACK MAN DON'T SPEAK THE WORD OF SCIENCE.

WE ONLY SPEAK THE WORD OF AN ANIMAL.

A K A. ZOO REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
humans are higher animals!
So, you're somehow right . . .
Re: The Sciences Discussion Thread. by soloxxng: 1:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
[quote author=DProDG post=34991335][/quote] straight nomination... Lols

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A 50,000-Year-Old Lake In India Turns Pink And Experts Don't Know Exactly Why / This Is What A Sheep Looks Like After Five Years Without Shearing (Graphic Photo / Scientists Successfully Reverse Human Ageing Process (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.