Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,771 members, 7,955,944 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:18 PM

Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. (6330 Views)

Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 / Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 17, 2015
So i was lazily browsing through the internet, trying to find the science that could all me to do this,

and, i saw a few things, but not as amazing as this, it's called SmartBird. and it is a bird, that files like a . . . wait, it's actually a robot that flies like a bird. of course, i was genuinely shocked. i had no idea humans were this advanced. shocked shocked
so i thought, my people must see this.

here's a video. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

so, how do you think this was even possible? honestly half the time, i was expecting it to fall down on people's head or something. grin but it didn't. and it actually returned to it's initial launch point! that's freaking amazing!

engineers in the house, where una dey?

i hear the technology is called an ornithopter. and scientists have been doing some tinkering on it recently. and we should start talking about it.

any article you see, any video, any pdf or research paper, kindly bring. your ideas and opinions are highly welcome, let's TALK. grin

incorrect, darkhorizon, preboy, xploraben, dekatron, johnydon22, holocron, booyakasha, queed, robinhez, slimzjoe,

2 Likes

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by oathman(m): 12:35am On Nov 17, 2015
gud job op
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 17, 2015
okay, so . . . i basically realized i was being a douchebag by just dropping random stuff and going away like that . . . grin so, i decided to return to give a more indepth explanation of what is going on here. and we will start with a . . . kori bustard! grin

so, a kori bustard is the largest living bird that can fly. its wingspan is about eight feet. grin well.

anyway, that's not the largest flying bird to ever exist. argentavis magnificens beats it by far. that one's wing span is not less than 10 feet. and more interestingly, it weighed not less than 80kg.

why am i telling you all these? well, to prove to you that humans CAN fly. basically. by having wingy things attached to their bodies. grin

this idea gave birth to ornithopters. devices that move through the air by flapping their wings. just like a bird. so far, not much has being acheive because obviously, there is more to flying than flapping the arms around like a lunatic. grin apparently, you have to take time to really study the birds you are trying to rip off. hehehe

anyway, you might of course, ask me, what is the point of this technology? why should we even bother to bother try it? well, there are many things at play here.

1. Whites have actually not succeeded in doing this yet. that's an avenue to at least pioneer in something as a race. angry

2. a military equipped with wingy thingys would be . . . let's admit, awesome. grin not to mention highly efficient. robberies would be highly reduced as the police would control their activities. superman style. ritualist hideouts, boko people, you get the gist. wink

3. with a personal suspension system, scientist's would be able to study real world phenomena at a safe distance. for instance, the migration of wildebeest, the graduation of geographic landmarks, high mountains, rivers, i heard that the coastline distances around the world haven't been properly calculated yet. well, this technology can allow such to happen.

4. a new sport would be born. isn't that the coolest . . . yet another intuitive and more interactive way for humans to unwind. skydiving? pfft. just fly up, fall back, and fly up again. undecided

5. transport. we currently suffer in nigeria from poor roads. foods spoil unnecessarily because of bad roads. some places are even inaccessible. and because conventional aircraft require runways, we can't even begin to think about how ridiculous that is. yes, we could try helicopters, but we're scientists, guys. grin it's our job to break the status quo, right? the ornithopter can ride on thermal currents, if we equip them with flexible solar panels, they can simply soar to their destinations while receiving power from the sun. hence the only energy they will use will be for taking of and the occasional flap. if this done right, theoretically, the ornithopter may NEVER need to be recharged of refilled! think of the endless possibilities!

so, guys, what do you think? is this idea the bomb or the "bomb" cheesy let's talk about this, seriously. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 6:18am On Nov 17, 2015
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:
https://www.nairaland.com/2456830/7-inventors-killed-inventions#35942814

*covers ears and whistles outta the thread*
i'm sorry, but this post has nothing to do with anything. guy, what's going on at your side recently? your hand falling is just increasing all the time. grin

1. he was not working on an ornithopter. he was working on a parachute. a parachute whose design has now been perfected and is the status quo safety standards for pilots around the world.

2. he was a tailor. he had no advanced knowledge of science and aerodynamics and things like that. his prototypes were trial and error.

3. he had no failsafe plan. i.e by jumping from the eiffel tower, common sense dictates that a failsafe system should be in place. in case something goes wrong. i.e, he could have worn a blown up suit. coupled with a balloon to land on.

4. he is no the only one who died from his inventions. and all the other people who died have now had their designs perfected and are now used around the world to save peoples life and increase the standard of living.

5. i'm not afraid of dying if my death will close up a major branch of scientific futility or will open a new branch of scientific discovery. after all, isn't that the whole point of living?

6. with this sort of thinking, man has never achieved anything. risks are part of life.

*delivered as a text message since the recipient's ears are covered.* grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Slimzjoe(m): 7:11am On Nov 17, 2015
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

E go make sense ooo. But If those White witches have not Been able to do it yet, then, lipsrsealed
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Incorrect: 7:20am On Nov 17, 2015
*walks in, sights the guy talking about dead inventors and laughs hysterically*
You want to fly with wings, ehn?? That was one of the things i wanted to do as a child until i discovered "JET PACKS". But for the purpose of this thread, let's go back to wings.
Really, it depends. d'you want mechanical wings with a power source OR d'you want wings that are attachable to your arms??
Personally, i think the former is your best bet when it comes to flying.
Wing motion doesn't just go up and down(the way you used to mimic birds as a kid). At a point, you'll have to combine the downward stroke with the backward stroke. You can only hope to make at most 10 of this stroke before your arms get sore.
And again, birds have tail wings that act as flight stabilizers. As a human, you can't have your legs dangling behind you as you fly(wouldn't look professional, LOL). These tail feathers help to balance wind currents and also steer the birds. Without this as a human, you'll probably be tossed around like a pingpong ball by air currents.
Then there's the problem of body shape. Birds have streamlined bodies and sharp beaks all in a bid to overcome air resistance. Humans are broad and dumpy, so there's no way we're getting in the air cheesy
Birds generally have lighter framework, due to the fact that their bones are hollow. You can use a bird bone as toothpick, while a human bone will most probably knock your teeth out cheesy cheesy
These are just a few reasons why attaching wings to your arm won't work. And your best bet remains the mechanical wings with a power source. But the ultimate bane of all great inventions(the cellphone included) still remains a reliable power source.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 7:57am On Nov 17, 2015
[s]
Teempakguy:
i'm sorry, but this post has nothing to do with anything. guy, what's going on at your side recently? your hand falling is just increasing all the time. grin

1. he was not working on an ornithopter. he was working on a parachute. a parachute whose design has now been perfected and is the status quo safety standards for pilots around the world.

2. he was a tailor. he had no advanced knowledge of science and aerodynamics and things like that. his prototypes were trial and error.

3. he had no failsafe plan. i.e by jumping from the eiffel tower, common sense dictates that a failsafe system should be in place. in case something goes wrong. i.e, he could have worn a blown up suit. coupled with a balloon to land on.

4. he is no the only one who died from his inventions. and all the other people who died have now had their designs perfected and are now used around the world to save peoples life and increase the standard of living.

5. i'm not afraid of dying if my death will close up a major branch of scientific futility or will open a new branch of scientific discovery. after all, isn't that the whole point of living?

6. with this sort of thinking, man has never achieved anything. risks are part of life.

*delivered as a text message since the recipient's ears are covered.* grin
[/s]

undecided

It has everything to do with the topic. And don't tell me about handfalling cuz even Da Vinci failed in his project.

Bottomline? : Humans are not meant to fly using wings...its against the course of nature.

#stick with Jetpacks and stay alive! angry
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 17, 2015
very good submission sir. grin
Incorrect:
*walks in, sights the guy talking about dead inventors and laughs hysterically*
hehehehe. i'm actually getting worried about him though.
You want to fly with wings, ehn?? That was one of the things i wanted to do as a child until i discovered "JET PACKS". But for the purpose of this thread, let's go back to wings.
actually, jet packs are an essential addition to any reasonable ornithopter. hopefully, the reason for this will become more apparent later.
Really, it depends. d'you want mechanical wings with a power source OR d'you want wings that are attachable to your arms??
Personally, i think the former is your best bet when it comes to flying.
actually, wings that are attachable to the arms is a complete NO GO. a very unwise idea. really. not only do humans have ridiculously small muscle power to weight ratio, we also don't possess the muscle adaptation for flight. as in, we can't flap like the birds.
Wing motion doesn't just go up and down(the way you used to mimic birds as a kid). At a point, you'll have to combine the downward stroke with the backward stroke. You can only hope to make at most 10 of this stroke before your arms get sore.
again, this is my premise. bird wing motion is highly complex. i took time to study some slow motion videos of birds in flight and and it's more like they're clapping than flapping their wings. anyway, humans don't have the strength or skill to do this. so, machines. sir!
And again, birds have tail wings that act as flight stabilizers. As a human, you can't have your legs dangling behind you as you fly(wouldn't look professional, LOL). These tail feathers help to balance wind currents and also steer the birds. Without this as a human, you'll probably be tossed around like a pingpong ball by air currents.
this is where the jet pack comes in. wink you see, the main problems with jet packs today is that they use all the fuel for thrust. that's highly consuming. as a result. there are actually no jet packs really. what you have are rocket packs. which don't last very long in the air. but what if we could divert the energy into powering wings which are by far more efficient, while using the jetpack system to stabilize. if modelled well enough with fluid dynamics, we can achieve, with thrust, what birds achieve by flow manipulation.
Then there's the problem of body shape. Birds have streamlined bodies and sharp beaks all in a bid to overcome air resistance. Humans are broad and dumpy, so there's no way we're getting in the air cheesy
this is a really good point. but as you know, we scientist are tasked with finding ways to use disadvantages to our benefits. consider an artificial keel bone like structure under the chest of the human while in flight. this would provide a lot of streamlining, as well as a reflective surface in order to alert people that they are in the air, while also housing any component we deem fit to insert into it.
Birds generally have lighter framework, due to the fact that their bones are hollow. You can use a bird bone as toothpick, while a human bone will most probably knock your teeth out cheesy cheesy
yes they do . . . but consider the flying dinosaurs. they were a lot heavier and a lot bigger than humans and they flew. the problem here is not density but the overall weight.
These are just a few reasons why attaching wings to your arm won't work. And your best bet remains the mechanical wings with a power source. But the ultimate bane of all great inventions(the cellphone included) still remains a reliable power source.
oh come on. grin
the intention is to build a machine powered ornithhopter (still can't spell the damn name.) the wings will be controlled to a high precision flapping by using state of the art powerful processors that take up almost no space. the stabilization will be provided via an onboard jet system which just sucks in air all the damn time and expels it in a direction where symmetry is lacking. hence we have a fairly great system. cool

what do you think of that?

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:
[s][/s]

undecided

It has everything to do with the topic. And don't tell me about handfalling cuz even Da Vinci failed in his project.

Bottomline? : Humans are not meant to fly using wings...its against the course of nature.

dude, really? you of all people should know i don't post things in this section unless i am sure of their veracity. the least you could do was actually ask for an explanation. and think while following the logic.

the tech wasn't even really meant for humans. it is supposed to be a new and more efficient flight system. like i said in my fifth point, it can be used to carry products as an unmanned aerial vehicle. didn't you read that at all? dude you fall hand gan.

da vinci? seriously? the same da vinci who failed in 60% of his projects? THAT's who you're using as an example? for crying out loud, bird flight is controlled by real time high precision flight control. COMPUTING. something da vinci never had. and new ways of moving things, like electroactive polymers and brushless motors have been invented ever since. and none of that ever occurred to you? you just had to mention da vinci. angry

#bottom line. everything humans have ever accomplished in this world is against nature. so you have no point.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 17, 2015
Slimzjoe:
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

E go make sense ooo. But If those White witches have not Been able to do it yet, then, lipsrsealed
THEN, we have the opportunity to beat them to it! shocked
you see, we often think ideas and creativity are dependent on intelligence. but it's not so, really. in fields like this, there is usually so many possible answers that it's hard to find the right one. but when that happens, it's shocking to everybody that it was right in front of their faces the whole time.

i got inspired recently when i read of the last theorem of fermat. the theorem is quite simple understand. really. you can state the whole thing in just two lines. you would think, that as easy as it was, the proof would come quick. no it didn't. it came 356 years later. can you imagine that time gap? i'm sure some scientist out there must have said, we can't ever prove this thing. but it was proven mathematically. ever since then, i learned to stop thinking that if something were possible, it would have already been done. nature has a clever way of hiding things. no one knows who can find. wink

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Slimzjoe(m): 8:55am On Nov 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
THEN, we have the opportunity to beat them to it! shocked
you see, we often think ideas and creativity are dependent on intelligence. but it's not so, really. in fields like this, there is usually so many possible answers that it's hard to find the right one. but when that happens, it's shocking to everybody that it was right in front of their faces the whole time.

i got inspired recently when i read of the last theorem of fermat. the theorem is quite simple understand. really. you can state the whole thing in just two lines. you would think, that as easy as it was, the proof would come quick. no it didn't. it came 356 years later. can you imagine that time gap? i'm sure some scientist out there must have said, we can't ever prove this thing. but it was proven mathematically. ever since then, i learned to stop thinking that if something were possible, it would have already been done. nature has a clever way of hiding things. no one knows who can find. wink

Robinhez bring money make we Process Visa Send Teem Outta these Country so he's Dreams and Fantasies won't go to waste.
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by johnydon22(m): 9:02am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:
[s][/s]

undecided

I don't know what you call the course of nature because it seems you have one stipulated way you think or want nature to work.

Metals are not supposed to fly either but we have heavy tons of metal flying and we call that aeroplane.

We have metals floating instead of sinking and we call them ships.

I wonder what cause of nature you are talking about..

Nature has no one way of manifestation because humans already are flying the means only differs....

Nature is diverse after all nobody was proposing Biological wing development in man but artificial manipulation.. #Sheeesh

Seriously your comments puts me off sometimes..
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 9:05am On Nov 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
dude, really? you of all people should know i don't post things in this section unless i am sure of their veracity. the least you could do was actually ask for an explanation. and think while following the logic.

the tech wasn't even really meant for humans. it is supposed to be a new and more efficient flight system. like i said in my fifth point, it can be used to carry products as an unmanned aerial vehicle. didn't you read that at all? dude you fall hand gan.

da vinci? seriously? the same da vinci who failed in 60% of his projects? THAT's who you're using as an example? for crying out loud, bird flight is controlled by real time high precision flight control. COMPUTING. something da vinci never had. and new ways of moving things, like electroactive polymers and brushless motors have been invented ever since. and none of that ever occurred to you? you just had to mention da vinci. angry

#bottom line. everything humans have ever accomplished in this world is against nature. so you have no point.

Oh..puleaze. Tell me 1 thing humans have accomplished against nature without the aid of Machines or other gadgets? ?

The moment u start putting urself down to reason with others, u'd realise there's so much sense in a non-sense undecided

Oh..Da vinci is now attributed to failure? But the last time I checked, u described urself as an 'aspiring african Da Vinci' lipsrsealed

Dude! Everything that is being done in the present time is based on achievements and principles layed down in the past.

There is nothing new under the sun, if those guys could think of flying at that time? What else is there to imagine?....

#stick with jetpacks or die trying to fly with wings angry
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 9:07am On Nov 17, 2015
This is my point Johny. I don't know how to typle long posts that's why...
johnydon22:

humans already are flying the means only differs....
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 9:08am On Nov 17, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Robinhez bring money make we Process Visa Send Teem Outta these Country so he's Dreams and Fantasies won't go to waste.
He has my support lipsrsealed
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:

Oh..puleaze. Tell me 1 thing humans have accomplished against nature without the aid of Machines or other gadgets? ?

The moment u start putting urself down to reason with others, u'd realise there's so much sense in a non-sense undecided

Oh..Da vinci is now attributed to failure? But the last time I checked, u described urself as an 'aspiring african Da Vinci' lipsrsealed

Dude! Everything that is being done in the present time is based on achievements and principles layed down in the past.

There is nothing new under the sun, if those guys could think of flying at that time? What else is there to imagine?....

#stick with jetpacks or die trying to fly with wings angry

dude . . . grin

you totally misunderstood the whole thing. the wings themselves ARE machines. you see, the wing idea is basically a machine wing flapping. and the more cool part is, the whole wing thingy can be powered by a simple petrol generating set. or even a clever battery system note i am not trying to attach wings to the human anatomy

i am simply designing a different way to utilize the machines we already have to produce a more efficient outcome. jetpacks[actually rocket packs in the strict sense of the word.] are very highly inefficient. that's why they haven't been able to fly well, what is needed is a more elegant design. and that is what i am trying to do here.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by RobinHez(m): 9:19am On Nov 17, 2015
We aren't built to fly!!!

That's the point I'm trying to hit...I'm only not eloquent in written and spoken words embarassed

Below, is the first patent of an ornithopter

[img]http://longstreet.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83542d51e69e20168e8278f5d970c-pi[/img]
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 17, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Robinhez bring money make we Process Visa Send Teem Outta these Country so he's Dreams goals and Fantasies projects won't go to waste.
hehehe. lipsrsealed
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:

That's the point I'm trying to hit...I'm only not eloquent in written and spoken words embarassed

Below, is the first patent of an ormnipother

[img]http://howthingsfly.si.edu/sites/default/files/image-large/SI-74-741~A_lg.jpg[/img]

yeah, we aren't built to fly. and metals aren't built to float. atoms aren't built to be seen, cells aren't built to be modified, and computers aren't built to hold conversations with human beings. in the same vein, viruses aren't built to strengthen the human body against other bodies, humans aren't built to move at the speed of sound, human's aren't built for space . . . dude, look, if you keep focusing on what we can't do, you'll find that we can't do anything. however, if you focus on what we can do, it's only a matter of figuring out how to take the next step.

the only thing i expected you to do was to ask for an explanation, then tender your counter explanations. if you can't express yourself, then you can hardly be considered intelligent, sir. another way to do that would be to ask series of logical questions. which i would then answer in the same logical vein. incorrect has done something like this.

anyway, i will assume some questions for you. since you said you're not good with words. cheesy

humans are not streamlined. how do you make this work then?

well, that's not really true. the definite human shape is not streamlined, yes, but our bounding polygon is. the human body can fit inside a fish like structure. and the science behind it is to make this structure as pronounced as possible while maintaining comfort to the wearer. that's on one note. did you actually notice that "drones" aren't streamlined? also, hippopotamuses aren't streamlined per say. but they rule the sea.

Countless have failed before. what makes you think you will succeed?

the others were doing it the wrong way. birdlike motion is somewhat like writing. to an outside observer, it looks as if the writer is just moving the pen up and down. but if you take the time to actually observe his motion, you will see he makes subtle movements horizontally. we have what they don't. we have computers, we have sensors. we have more better locomotive objects. i mean, imagine if someone had tried to make a laptop in 1910. that would have been a huge failure. but now, making laptops is considered trivial and choosing between them is now the problem. grin

birds have a tail structure. how are you going to mimic this?

we are going to use jet packs. i know. not the kind's you're thinking, but the kinds that are computer controlled. there are many outlets. and each outlet works only when the computer says it should. and the computer will only say it should when the craft is veering out of control. it is sort of a controlled collection of bursts in different directions.

but . . . wings? why wings?

well, for one thing, wings are highly efficient. especially when they flap. it is actually possible to build a craft that can fly on human leg muscles. using ornithopter technology. shows you how efficient that is. also, wings have an advantage. they can grant the wearer or user VTOL. this is the holy grail of aerodynamics today. ability to produce vertical flight. also, flappable wings are very good for maneuvering, and can be made to fit smaller payloads. like humans. not to mention that, it can be fitted with solar panels. although, we can easily do this for fixed wing aircraft, so it's not really a good point, anyway, it would be the next step in human flight. it would also make me feel good.

what if you fail?

well, then my story will be a lesson on how not to equip human's with flapping wings. hence saving future scientists like myself, the trouble of having to experiment.

any more questions? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 17, 2015
RobinHez:

Below, is the first patent of an ornithopter

[img]http://longstreet.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83542d51e69e20168e8278f5d970c-pi[/img]
just looking at this, i can spot several major flaw. the wingspan is waaaaay too small for him. the "feathers" are too big, there is no onboard automatic control system, there is no streamlining going on there, the tail wing is too big, the machine is probably human powered . . . there's no way this can fly nah, undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Incorrect: 12:25pm On Nov 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
very good submission sir. ;Dhehehehe. i'm actually getting worried about him though.
actually, jet packs are an essential addition to any reasonable ornithopter. hopefully, the reason for this will become more apparent later.
actually, wings that are attachable to the arms is a complete NO GO. a very unwise idea. really. not only do humans have ridiculously small muscle power to weight ratio, we also don't possess the muscle adaptation for flight. as in, we can't flap like the birds.
again, this is my premise. bird wing motion is highly complex. i took time to study some slow motion videos of birds in flight and and it's more like they're clapping than flapping their wings. anyway, humans don't have the strength or skill to do this. so, machines. sir!
this is where the jet pack comes in. wink you see, the main problems with jet packs today is that they use all the fuel for thrust. that's highly consuming. as a result. there are actually no jet packs really. what you have are rocket packs. which don't last very long in the air. but what if we could divert the energy into powering wings which are by far more efficient, while using the jetpack system to stabilize. if modelled well enough with fluid dynamics, we can achieve, with thrust, what birds achieve by flow manipulation.
this is a really good point. but as you know, we scientist are tasked with finding ways to use disadvantages to our benefits. consider an artificial keel bone like structure under the chest of the human while in flight. this would provide a lot of streamlining, as well as a reflective surface in order to alert people that they are in the air, while also housing any component we deem fit to insert into it.
yes they do . . . but consider the flying dinosaurs. they were a lot heavier and a lot bigger than humans and they flew. the problem here is not density but the overall weight.
oh come on. grin
the intention is to build a machine powered ornithhopter (still can't spell the damn name.) the wings will be controlled to a high precision flapping by using state of the art powerful processors that take up almost no space. the stabilization will be provided via an onboard jet system which just sucks in air all the damn time and expels it in a direction where symmetry is lacking. hence we have a fairly great system. cool

what do you think of that?
so, if i understand you correctly, you intend to use micro controllers to give the wings a beating pattern, then use a jet propulsion system that takes in air from one direction and expels it in the other direction as a flight stabilizer to perform the function of the tail feather??
What are you using for your wings?? Please don't tell me you're using real feathers like the case of icarus and dedalus.
I don't think it can be entirely mechanical either. I've never heard of any jet system that doesn't need a power source. I think they use motors with uniquely shaped blades. Correct me if i'm wrong
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Booyakasha(f): 4:37pm On Nov 17, 2015
Nice thread @teempakguy

This is a very great tech advancement... wait till i hack into it's control unit/CPU when it's on the air, and use it for personal reasons... grin

And who says humans can't fly with wings? safety? i can program an AI into the winging system that can transcode images into readable binary (it will use a 360 degree camera, badass isn't it?) so that even if you're flying with closed eyes or drunk or having on the airsex (ota), it can manoeuvre by itself and take you back home.... plus i'll add
a JTAC simulator, so you can just control the wings with your minds... i'll program the AI for free... Bonus: incase you get involved in a terrible accident, i.e you got hit by a missile, or your system was hacked by ISIS, since all winged smartbird will be accessing a public data transmitter from the "source" (i can't tell you the source) it can be hacked, so when any of this happen, it will auto eject you out of it's wing gripper d2-0 at close to sound speeds, then parachute will take job. grin

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Dekatron(m): 11:25pm On Nov 17, 2015
Oh!! Well. . . I'd take my time to think about this

for now, NO COMMENT
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Raplinx(m): 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
Teempakguy, u're a true scientist!!!
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 18, 2015
sorry for going going awol, guys. grin
i'm back now, temporarily.

Incorrect:
so, if i understand you correctly, you intend to use microcontrollers to give the wings a beating pattern, then use a jet propulsion system that takes in air from one direction and expels it in the other direction as a flight stabilizer to perform the function of the tail feather??
What are you using for your wings?? Please don't tell me you're using real feathers like the case of icarus and dedalus.
I don't think it can be entirely mechanical either. I've never heard of any jet system that doesn't need a power source. I think they use motors with uniquely shaped blades. Correct me if i'm wrong
yes, you are correct in your first paragraph.

answer to your second paragraph, for the wings, the best idea is . . . . carbon fibre. i know, how expensive that is . . . grin and for the feathers, well, that will need more research. also, i think icarus' wings were actually made out of wax.

yes you're right in your last paragraph as well. smiley

Booyakasha:
Nice thread @teempakguy
This is a very great tech advancement... wait till i hack into it's control unit/CPU when it's on the air, and use it for personal reasons... grin
And who says humans can't fly with wings? safety? i can program an AI into the winging system that can transcode images into readable binary (it will use a 360 degree camera, badass isn't it?) so that even if you're flying with closed eyes or drunk or having on the airsex (ota), it can manoeuvre by itself and take you back home.... plus i'll add
a JTAC simulator, so you can just control the wings with your minds... i'll program the AI for free... Bonus: incase you get involved in a terrible accident, i.e you got hit by a missile, or your system was hacked by ISIS, since all winged smartbird will be accessing a public data transmitter from the "source" (i can't tell you the source) it can be hacked, so when any of this happen, it will auto eject you out of it's wing gripper d2-0 at close to sound speeds, then parachute will take job. grin
wow, dude. shocked shocked you're surely on my list. grin all these are awesome ideas. bro.

Dekatron:
Oh!! Well. . . I'd take my time to think about this
for now, NO COMMENT
please take a lot of time to think, sire. cool

Raplinx:
Teempakguy, u're a true scientist!!!
er . . . thanks . . . ? embarassed

1 Like

Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Incorrect: 7:20am On Nov 19, 2015
Teempakguy:
sorry for going going awol, guys. grin
i'm back now, temporarily.

yes, you are correct in your first paragraph.

answer to your second paragraph, for the wings, the best idea is . . . . carbon fibre. i know, how expensive that is . . . grin and for the feathers, well, that will need more research. also, i think icarus' wings were actually made out of wax.

yes you're right in your last paragraph as well. smiley

wow, dude. shocked shocked you're surely on my list. grin all these are awesome ideas. bro.

please take a lot of time to think, sire. cool

er . . . thanks . . . ? embarassed
ehm..icarus' wings were made of feathers (which he picked from the beach of the island where they were imprisoned) glued with wax. So when he flew too close to the sun, the wax melted and the induvidual feathers fell off. But we're not here to argue greek mythology, are we?? cheesy cheesy
And, it seems you've got all the parts of this ornithopter figured out. Alert me as to your progress. While i go work on my TDCS device cheesy
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 19, 2015
Incorrect:
ehm..icarus' wings were made of feathers (which he picked from the beach of the island where they were imprisoned) glued with wax. So when he flew too close to the sun, the wax melted and the induvidual feathers fell off. But we're not here to argue greek mythology, are we?? cheesy cheesy
And, it seems you've got all the parts of this ornithopter figured out. Alert me as to your progress. While i go work on my TDCS device cheesy
oh . . . so they were made out of real feathers . . . damn, i knew i should have just read that link properly. grin

but anyway, i've got a global ideas. as we all know, it's the specifics that are the proverbial buttpains. hehehe. i will alert you to any progress(thanks for subscribing,) and i think you should alert me to your progress on the TDCS. i i was following it on a thread on it once . . . i think . . . but i just lost track of it . . . so many things to process . . . anyway. you get the point.
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
UPDATE.

Feathers in an ornithopter is a very bad idea. infact, i think this is the reason why all those people failed.

first, feathers look important, but they . . . aren't.
usually, they are used for making the bird waterproof, or good looking, or to keep the bird warm . . . they seldom help in flight and are somewhat of adaptations. using them in ornithopter is like trying to put eyelids on camcorders. grin

instead, a different approach i'm considering is to use hollow, smooth, and split wings which are filled with helium. for obvious reasons. cheesy
the wings are smooth to ensure smooth gliding across the air, and they are split for aerodynamic "efficiency." *rolls eyes.*
during the upstroke(when the wing is going up.) the wing splits up. and acts as a . . . sort of like a net or so. and the air just rushes down through it. minimizing drag by a lot. during the downstroke(when the wing is flapping down.) the wing joints connect. and the maximum drag produces allows a lot of thrust. and voila. wink

this might seem complicated, but it's not, really. i'm currently working on a very rough concept art. so, we can visualize what i'm talking about. turns out it's very hard to model a wing. embarassed. even one with no feathers.

also, i'm going to change the topic to something broader. i guess. so it won't be just only ornithopters. i've got more crazier ideas on flight to showcase anyway. it won't make much sense to keep opening new threads.
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Geofavor(m): 8:51pm On Nov 25, 2015
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2015
@Teempakguy, At what height are you going to fly this thing Too high, and you die of rareified air;in the middle, you die of motion sickness, too low and ,well,Nigerians will call you an angelgrin. Also,how will the ornithopters (Whoever named this things surely wants to tie people's tongue) be immune to manipulation. Imagine flying on third Mainland Bridge only for sharp hackers to hack itgringrin.

And finally, what are the military implications. Let's assume you finally build it and Boko-haram or some other organizations steal your plans (you watch movies na.gringringrin). How will you feel?

Finally, never forget/underestimate religious organizations. Don't be surprised if they call your efforts as trying to mimmic Godundecided
Re: Who Has Seen Smartbird? Discussion Thread For Novel ways to fly. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 27, 2015
SirWere:
@Teempakguy, At what height are you going to fly this thing Too high, and you die of rareified air;in the middle, you die of motion sickness, too low and ,well,Nigerians will call you an angelgrin. Also,how will the ornithopters (Whoever named this things surely wants to tie people's tongue) be immune to manipulation. Imagine flying on third Mainland Bridge only for sharp hackers to hack itgringrin.

And finally, what are the military implications. Let's assume you finally build it and Boko-haram or some other organizations steal your plans (you watch movies na.gringringrin). How will you feel?

Finally, never forget/underestimate religious organizations. Don't be surprised if they call your efforts as trying to mimmic Godundecided
I know all of these will happen. and i've devised solutions for all of them anyway.

1. Well, obviously, we want the wearer to be using a gas mask. grin so, the air problem is not an issue. of course, there is the issue of G-force and so on, but after enough training, humans will get the hang of it.

2. No hacker can hack it. not anymore than they can hack a mercedes benz. sad the proccessor is self contained and compact. and if we can't acheive that, we will use encrypted transmission between processor and device. although i know the best alternative is to just put the computer on board. It doesn't necessarily shout . . . oh hack me, guys.

3. Oh, the work is bound to be perverted by agents of evil. except they will soon find that they're better off using preexisting means of transport to carry out their devious work. you see, an ornithopter puts you in the air. air = you will show on a radar. you will be visible to the whole world. and of course, as a result, you'll find that if you want to sneak up on places, you should probably use your legs. because by using an orntihopter, you'll not only be visible to the world, but the law enforcement agencies will be able to track your movements back to whatever hideout you came from. in fact, I WANT bad people to use this technology. so we can catch a lot of them. angry

4. Oh . . . the bible literalists, eh? you mean the ones that said Going to the moon would be playing God? grin well, part of the reason why i'm doing this is to play God anyway. i mean, i've been playing god since birth. why should i stop now? the fact is, The science behind the project is valid. so, God . . . well, probably doesn't care.

anyway, i'm working on a visual representation of the craft. hang on, guys. cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samsung Started As A Food Company: A Brief Of History Of Samsung / MTN Introduces 1GB DATA For Just n100 / WWE 2020 Apk Data+obb+mod For Android Device,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.