Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,009 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. (17084 Views)

3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode / Ghanaian Boy's Chat With Fake Messi Exposed Online / We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

I'm not and I won't argue with you... under the right condition... an AA battery (finger battery) will kill a human... I'm not in the mood to crack my brain... so I'll let this pass... but if you engage me properly... backed up by facts... then I might come out of engineering and school you a bit... until then... you win...
See the way you exude ignorance. Could you please tell us the cirvumstances that will make a finger battery kill?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Valentinooo: 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2015
The moment i saw that pics, i just told a friend it's a lie.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

See the way you exude ignorance. Could you please tell us the cirvumstances that will make a finger battery kill?

Go back to page one and read all over again...
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:19pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:
The numerical answer: Voltage is like electrical pressure, voltage causes charges to flow, and when charges flow through our bodies at a low rate, we can't even feel a thing. But when they flow at more than a certain high rate, bad things happen. To stay safe, we should only play with voltages which are way less than 45 volts. Don't mess with plug-in appliances, they use 120 volts. As long as the electric charges flow through your body at a rate that is lots less than 1/1000 of an ampere (one milliamp), you can't even feel them. To stay safe, only send electrical current through your body at a rate less than 1/1000 ampere, and do this by staying away from high voltage. But this is numerical, so it's not that meaningful.
The "electricity" which flows through human bodies is charged particles: potassium ions, sodium ions, chloride, etc. Since these particles are always inside our bodies, we can't say that "electricity" is dangerous. Instead, it is the FLOW of charges which causes problems. Think like this: human beings are partly composed of movable "electricity" or charges, but these charges normally don't move much. If something makes them move, abnormal things can happen. When someone gets a shock from touching wires, electricity WAS NOT put into their body from outside. Instead, the electric voltage on the wires pushed upon the charges already inside their body, which then moved forward, causing an electric current to appear inside. During electrocution, human beings become part of an electric circuit, and the circuit causes their "electricity" to begin flowing fast.
During electrocution, the large abnormal electric current (ion currents) cause nerves to fire, which causes muscles to tense up, and this can include your heart muscle and your diaphragm (electric current can stop the heart and prevent breathing.) Suddenly-tensed muscles can throw your body across a room hard enough to break bones or cause concussions. Also, electric currents directed through your heart can trigger fibrillation, which is a type of fast, quivering heartbeat which does not pump blood. Once fibrillation is triggered, it might not stop by itself. And finally, large electric currents can cause heating which cooks tissue.
As long as the value of electric current within tissues is small, it will not cause significant pain, heat, or muscle contraction. For example, if you touch the metal terminals of a 9 volt battery with wet fingertips from each hand, the voltage does push a measurable electric current in a circular path through your arms and chest! Yet the only result is that your fingertips become full of corroded metal from the electrochemistry occuring where the wet skin touches metal. In other words, 9 volt batteries are relatively safe. Now if you did the same thing with a 90 volt photographer's photoflash battery, the voltage-push is ten times higher, and the value of current would be ten times higher. You'd feel violent pain, your arms would jerk away, and some people would even go into cardiac fibrillation or "heart attack." The 9v battery creates a small current which you can't even feel. The 90v battery creates a larger current which is painful and dangerous.
Voltage is not the only thing which determines whether you get a shock. ELectrical resistance of your skin is also important. If the resistance of your skin is low, then a smaller voltage will create a larger current. For example, if you have tough, thick, dry skin on your hands, you might be able to touch even a 90-volt battery without harm (don't try it though!). Your higher skin resistance only allowed the battery to create a small current through your body. On the other hand, if you have thin, moist skin, then the same battery voltage will push a much higher current through you. If your skin is thin enough, then even a 9v battery might cause a larger current, which gives your fingers a slight tingle.

p.s...

graduated 8 years ago and I'm not practising... you can see the burn mask and you still call that Photoshop... I'm done with you... nah una dey make people yab engineers...

My dear thanks.
If you look at that you will see where it talks about factors that determine shock severity which I mentioned early on.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

Go back to page one and read all over again...
Please sir tell me.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iamord(m): 12:25pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:
Why do you ask?
oka
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iamord(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

No dear, attended a no less noble one, CKC osha.
Okay. Ckc is not less noble. What matters is the output. I asked cos the slogan is floreat!
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
DBlackCeazer:
There are several ceramic Capacitors connected from the primary section (where you ve hot live) to the secondary ground of every standard power supply, there re instances where they go bad (short) and pose a shock hazard, basically cheap adapters are prone to this type of fault, I ve also seen situations where lightening are the culprits, You ve to be extremely careful whenever you ve your gadgets connected to the mains, especially if it has a metal frame that's grounded, also make sure your home is properly wired, with a functional ELCB installed. A word is enough for the wise.

Yes you have to be careful when AC is involved and not DC
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
iamord:
Okay. Ckc is not less noble. What matters is the output. I asked cos the slogan is floreat!
Okay. Thanks man. I use it because of the meaning.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by RomanceLander(f): 12:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

if you read the cause of her death... cos I wasn't there... it said the power bank was plugged into a power socket when there was no power... and kept on her shoulder when she was asleep... but that's not a power bank... it's too flat to be an old generation power bank... and power banks cases aren't made of metal... they are made from plastic... this is flat... and has a metallic body... my brothers that sell hard disk casing at computer village would tell you that's the case of an hard disk... I've been shocked by one plugged into a PC... so I know what I'm talking about... only when plugged into power via a USB plug would you see an effect like that... the hard disk gripped her skin... shocked and paralysed her at the same time... notice the picture... it melted the skin surrounding it... only a power surge stopped it... but the deed had been done...
from the whole scenario... I deduce a terrible prank had been played on her... and whoever was at the scene first cos that would probably be the culprit/suspect said it was a power bank to save face...
but that is not a power bank... that's is an hard disk...
I could be wrong though...

Please check for fil 12000mah powerbank tell me the difference
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
RomanceLander:

I no get d guy sef
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by ShakurM(m): 12:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
donhils:
Then again, why would somebody need to use a powerbank in Ghana? They are said to have constant and uninterrupted power supply.
Intelligent observation!
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 12:49pm On Jun 20, 2015
RomanceLander:

Please don't irritate me... did you see how bulky those power banks are and how flat the one that killed the girl is for 1st generation... how can you call that a power bank.... and they aren't covered in metal but plastic... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... borrow brain from someone or somewhere...

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 12:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
ShakurM:
Intelligent observation!
you dey mind all these people...
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by ShakurM(m): 1:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

you dey mind all these people...
Just deducing facts from the few reasonable ones
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by 3kay945(m): 1:39pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

I'm not and I won't argue with you... under the right condition... an AA battery (finger battery) will kill a human... I'm not in the mood to crack my brain... so I'll let this pass... but if you engage me properly... backed up by facts... then I might come out of engineering and school you a bit... until then... you win...

Was just passing by when I sighted ' AA battery(finger battery) will kill a human'

How is that possible? undecided
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 1:46pm On Jun 20, 2015
3kay945:

Was just passing by when I sighted ' AA battery(finger battery) will kill a human'

How is that possible? undecided

The lad is damn confused.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Billion24(m): 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

My guy, get the gist.
If you touch the casing of a system componet eg CPU, it could shock you depending on where you touched because the AC current may not have been converted then.
Just like when u open a battery charger and touch the AC current without conversion, it will shock you.
Again, shocks from AC even have degrees depending on the volts, current, resistance , duration etc, let alone DC.

Thats why the high tension wires kill immediately as opposed to the wires at home. Because High tension wires have high current and volts so that it can travel, so it gets stepped down to like 220v with a transformer before going to our homes.

Point of correction, high tension has a high voltage and low current as against your high voltage and high current. We don't transmit at high current because of power loss. P=I^2R, the voltage is stepped down to 220 at the transformers located on your street.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by oluwasunshine(f): 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2015
Wey diz okada man carry me pass sef

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by dandollaz: 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
You have one side brain @op.my charger caugh fire about a month ago.she might have plug the powerbank on AC while charging her phone at the same time on PBank,probably she was facebooking or wasapping with her phone .meanwhile ghana buy alot of phones&accessceries in naija.so chinko on my mind.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by boss1310(m): 2:38pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

See your argument. You are asking me what killed her when I am making a case that it was a photoshop. Doleful.
well its not true.my younger sis schooling in khumasi knw the girl.if you find it hard to blv just because you want to prove your point,you are free
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Harvard13(m): 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

if you read the cause of her death... cos I wasn't there... it said the power bank was plugged into a power socket when there was no power... and kept on her shoulder when she was asleep... but that's not a power bank... it's too flat to be an old generation power bank... and power banks cases aren't made of metal... they are made from plastic... this is flat... and has a metallic body... my brothers that sell hard disk casing at computer village would tell you that's the case of an hard disk... I've been shocked by one plugged into a PC... so I know what I'm talking about... only when plugged into power via a USB plug would you see an effect like that... the hard disk gripped her skin... shocked and paralysed her at the same time... notice the picture... it melted the skin surrounding it... only a power surge stopped it... but the deed had been done...
from the whole scenario... I deduce a terrible prank had been played on her... and whoever was at the scene first cos that would probably be the culprit/suspect said it was a power bank to save face...
but that is not a power bank... that's is an hard disk...
I could be wrong though...

bro hard disk shock u? hmm and u feel power bank no go shock u?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Cruzeiro(m): 2:43pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

My guy, get the gist.
If you touch the casing of a system componet eg CPU, it could shock you depending on where you touched because the AC current may not have been converted then.
Just like when u open a battery charger and touch the AC current without conversion, it will shock you.
Again, shocks from AC even have degrees depending on the volts, current, resistance , duration etc, let alone DC.

Thats why the high tension wires kill immediately as opposed to the wires at home. Because High tension wires have high current and volts so that it can travel, so it gets stepped down to like 220v with a transformer before going to our homes.
Forgive my digression. Are you a law student?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 2:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
Harvard13:

bro hard disk shock u? hmm and u feel power bank no go shock u?

in metal casing... yes... but that picture the op use... that's not a power bank...
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by RomanceLander(f): 3:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

Please don't irritate me... did you see how bulky those power banks are and how flat the one that killed the girl is for 1st generation... how can you call that a power bank.... and they aren't covered in metal but plastic... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... borrow brain from someone or somewhere...

I won't use foul words on you, buh you should be sure of what you're saying before making useless arguments.
I'm an Engr and trust me, when ever the amount of input voltage exceeds the stipulated amount, surge occurs.

I've seen multiple DC phone chargers explode so why won't a metal cased powerbank shock

Btw- learn to talk like a man , it pays to have courtesy

2 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by goodgate: 3:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

No
Even a laptop itself can't do that.
Hehe you bursted him, that guy was trying to feel intelligent before you cut him.

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by RomanceLander(f): 3:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
I have these powerbanks myself, so OP stop deceiving us oh

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by slinkman(m): 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
RomanceLander:

I won't use foul words on you, buh you should be sure of what you're saying before making useless arguments.
I'm an Engr and trust me, when ever the amount of input voltage exceeds the stipulated amount, surge occurs.

I've seen multiple DC phone chargers explode so why won't a metal cased powerbank shock

Btw- learn to talk like a man , it pays to have courtesy
don't mind that Dude that has no idea.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by nigerianvenom(m): 3:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

People dont even understand issues. No doubting about battery explosion, but a dc volt can n will never hurt a fly talkmore of killing human being

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by gantic: 4:07pm On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:
This will be succinct and precise.

Stupefied I was to learn of the phoney claim that power bank electrocuted a Ghanaian girl, Blandine, who had it placed on her bre.st region while it was charging. This claim was backed up by photos to lend credence to it.

Having examined facts and pictures, I observe and state as follows

1. That the claim was at best phoney and specious given that we have Alternating Current AC, and Direct Current, DC and power banks ,batteries, fuel cells and solar cells generally produce only Direct Current. This is because electrons here flow in one direction only. The reverse is the case in AC.

Power banks or batteries produce just DC energy which is microscopic that when even both terminals are touched wouldn't have effect.

That the fact that the said power bank was connected to a charger is immaterial given that chargers, including phone chargers, produces no AC but DC current usually 5v using a rectifier by reversing the polarity of one half of the period of the AC signal hence couldn't have led to shocks let alone electrocution.

In other words, chargers are plugged to AC outlets and chargers get the AC power and convert it to DC.
It's that DC that charges your phone or laptop batteries.
So the wires of your charger , ie the one that extends from the charger head has DC flowing in it.

That is the reason why nothing happens to you when you touch the Unclad iron part your laptop or phone chargers.

Again, it's not every contact with Unclad wires that kills. The effect is determined by a lot of factors like the volts, current, resistance etc. That explains why you occasionally touch Unclad wires and remove your hands immediately without severe injury.

It remains to be added that a fastidious look at the picture of the girl while alive and that supposing her to be dead are different. Spot the shape of the nose in both pics, one flat (while alive) and the other pointed, (dead)

Conclusively, the whole enchilada can be anything but true and is at best a cheap misleading PHOTOSHOP tosh. In fact, a blatherskite.
I stand to be controverted.

Thank you.

Ever wondered why lithium batteries are not allowed on most airplanes?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
dandollaz:
You have one side brain @op.my charger caugh fire about a month ago.she might have plug the powerbank on AC while charging her phone at the same time on PBank,probably she was facebooking or wasapping with her phone .meanwhile ghana buy alot of phones&accessceries in naija.so chinko on my mind.
Your charger caught fire. So what does that establish here. Which nexus? Abegi.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
boss1310:

well its not true.my younger sis schooling in khumasi knw the girl.if you find it hard to blv just because you want to prove your point,you are free
Then foul play should be sensed, okay?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gionee M5, 6000mah And 4 Day Battery Life / 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone / Remember Those Days When Making Calls And Looking At The Clock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.