Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode (12761 Views)

Why Smartphone Batteries Explode And How To Prevent It / Possible Reasons Why MTN Changed Recharge Card Loading Pattern, Reduces Card PIN / Power Banks Are Not True With Their Battery Capacity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:40am On May 09, 2017
Powerbanks help a lot, especially in a country where there's no steady power supply but on several occasions these life savers have turned to weapons of mass destruction. Here's how a powerbank could have killed my roommate.

It was a cool evening, I just finished talking to a friend on the phone. I was conversing with my roommate outside. A few minutes later he went inside the room to get his phone before I could say Jack Robinson, I heard the sound of an explosion as he fled from our room faster than gala sellers that haven't been paid, flinging the gate open as he fled for his dear life. This happened in a matter of milliseconds or nanoseconds. I was shocked.

This was the culprit :

Different thoughts ran through my mind. Could there be someone in the room? Or did he see a ghost?....There was no power at the moment so it wasn't a socket sparking. Well, I'm not the superstitious kind so I ruled out the possibility of him seeing a ghost. I went outside the gate along with a couple of our lodge mates who were startled by the sound. The reason for his escapade was a powerbank that exploded in the room. He was trying to pick up his phone from the table and the powerbank which was just beside his phone just exploded in front of him. The powerbank in question just costs N1,500.

I tried to understand the different things that could have happened. He could have been injured badly on his right hand or his face would have been burnt, the former would affect him badly since we're writing our first semester exams.

Now the ultimate question is :

Why would a power bank explode all of a sudden?. I decided to make some research and here's what I could come up with.

1.) Wrong Circuit Design:

The internal circuit design of the power bank can also be another likely cause of explosion. For a power bank a good circuit should have

Power protection( a mechanism that ensures that the battery stops charging once it has reached full capacity), Short circuit control and temperature control.
If it doesn't have any of the above features, the chances of explosion is higher.

2.) Poor Battery Quality

Batteries are the most expensive parts of a powerbank. Most of the power banks found in the market are made from either Lithium-ion or Lithium-Polymer batteries, though the lithium-ion is a cheaper option.

Most Manufacturers in a bid to keep prices down tend to use Lithium- ion batteries to save costs. In the worst case scenarios, they go to the extent of using recycled batteries which increases the chances or likeliness of explosion at a later time.

3.) Improper Usage

Exposing power banks to high temperatures or humidity can cause explosions. Overcharging of power banks is wrong. Also spilling water on it or leaving it near a heated area, like under the sun can cause explosions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:41am On May 09, 2017
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by SexyNairalander: 6:45am On May 09, 2017
booked
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by chibatov(m): 6:50am On May 09, 2017
No. 2 though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Partnerbiz2: 7:07am On May 09, 2017
PB explosion is overhyped and cant kill an ant.

See below
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:13am On May 09, 2017
Partnerbiz2:

See below

You're totally wrong

1 Like

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by wahles(m): 7:15am On May 09, 2017
Nice
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by FearFactor1: 7:20am On May 09, 2017
Same reason why money banks shut down,

Rotor door issues
Generator issues
Even fire.

Heard of Savanah bank? grin

3 Likes

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by mach98(m): 7:23am On May 09, 2017
the experience of powerbank explosions is the beginning of wisdom
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:23am On May 09, 2017
FearFactor1:
Same reason why money banks shut down,
Rotor door issues Generator issues Even fire.
Heard of Savanah bank? grin
grin grin..

2 Likes

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by wman(m): 7:26am On May 09, 2017
Stop buying cheap powerbanks.

Get Romoss and other trusted brands.

5 Likes

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Goldenheart(m): 7:26am On May 09, 2017
Oriamo is better...
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by YorubaNigga(m): 7:35am On May 09, 2017
But why would they say it can even kill
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by iamdrfresh: 7:39am On May 09, 2017
I don't dey fear now sha...which power banks are now safe? Recommend pls!
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by emeraldknytt(m): 7:40am On May 09, 2017
wman:

Not every one digs the idea of shipping in products for use or thriftily spending overseas. There are quite a number of quality brands in our country too. Products like FIL and New Age... Both brands, when the original is bought, are dependable.

5 Likes

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Partnerbiz2: 7:45am On May 09, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

You're totally wrong
What do u know
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by mekybabe1: 7:53am On May 09, 2017
Nic one op
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by davibid: 8:05am On May 09, 2017
[s]
Partnerbiz2:

See below
[/s]

My people die for lack of knowledge

cry

2 Likes

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Nobody: 8:10am On May 09, 2017
wman:

Yes Romoss is a Standard power bank...
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Hayormeah(f): 8:16am On May 09, 2017
Please can power banks be repaired? The charging port of mine has removed.
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by bellenornor(f): 8:23am On May 09, 2017
Hayormeah:
Please can power banks be repaired? The charging port of mine has removed.
Of course. Repaired mine last week
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by glossy6(f): 8:25am On May 09, 2017
New Age nko?
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Palchiji: 8:28am On May 09, 2017
YOOBAO powerbank are so good and they come with warranty. no story
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Nobody: 8:35am On May 09, 2017
Anker among the best if you can get original. Jua energy is good. Look on jumia. Oraimo seems to have disappeared.
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Segadem(m): 8:40am On May 09, 2017
Deejacy2:
Yes Romoss is a Standard power bank...

yeah plus FIL & new age

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Hayormeah(f): 8:44am On May 09, 2017
bellenornor:

Of course. Repaired mine last week

Really? Those who repair phones can help?
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Nobody: 8:45am On May 09, 2017
Power banks change with use. I had a nice oraimo but the way nepa take light in my area, there is a very low current still flowing this damaged it. The charging% light didn't go off again it was always warm, if you kept that under clothes fire could result.
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by just2endowed: 8:55am On May 09, 2017
Op is right. A poor designed and manufactured powerbank tends to explode as a time goes on.

That's why I recommend Romoss PowerBank for anyone desiring to buy one.

I have

Romoss polymos 20 20,000mah made from Lithium-Polymer batteries that is very durable.

Romoss polymos 10 10,000mah

Romoss Ace10 10,000mah (2.1A) triple fast charge with metalic gold design.

Romoss solo 5 10,000mah

Romoss solo 6 16,000mah

Romoss solo 6plus 16,000mah with LCD.

We breath Romoss. Check my signature and whatsapp or call for enquiry
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by leverage12(m): 10:11am On May 09, 2017
Wow. Nice info.

Get top quality inverter deep battery, inverter and solar.

Also get powerbank to power your laptop up to 8 hours or more while you keep your freelancing work going without worrying of buying fuel ⛽ or heavy generator sound. Check out my thread here for more info : https://www.nairaland.com/2182890/buy-laptop-powerbanks-deep-cycle . Cheers
Re: 3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode by Nobody: 10:49am On May 09, 2017
emeraldknytt:
Not every one digs the idea of shipping in products for use or thriftily spending overseas. There are quite a number of quality brands in our country too. Products like FIL and New Age... Both brands, when the original is bought, are dependable.
Fil power bank is crap, i bought one with a label of 20,000mah on it but it cant charge my 4500 mah battery twice from 0 to 100.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mobile file sharing sites / Tecno Camon CX Unboxing And Quick Review Video / Visafone Nigeria Introduce Blackberry Services On Their CDMA Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.