Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:39 AM

A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup (2814 Views)

Preparing Ogbono Soup For The First Time. / 5 Blogs Every Foodie In Nigeria Should Follow / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
OK. so as the foodie that I am I decided to prepare ogbono soup with bitter leaf and amala to take care of my 'swallow' cravings.

Ingredients

1. Beef
2. Stock Fish
3. Pomo (edible cow hide)
4. Panla fish (i don't know the botanical name ooo cheesy)
5. smoked mackerel
6. Salt
7. Knorr seasoning
8. Black Pepper (Cameroon pepper)
9. Red fresh bulb pepper
10. Ground Ogbono
11. Bitter leaf
12. Palm Oil

Step 1. Wash the ponmo and slice into small pieces. Wash your beef and set aside. Wash the panla, smoked mackerel and stock fish. Blend the red bulb pepper.

cc ishilove

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Step 2. Put some pepper, Knorr seasoning, salt in a pot with the beef and stock fish and put to steam while you wash the bitter leaf.

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 4:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
Step 3. Put 21/2 cups water into a pot, pour in the ogbono and bing to boil for about 3mins till mixture thickens and begins to froth then pour in the beef, ponmo and stock fish stock.

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2015
Step 3. Add the blended red fresh pepper, Knorr seasoning, salt, smoked mackerel, panla, washed bitter leaf and oil to taste. Stir but don't cover the pot because it'll affect the thickness of the ogbono. Allow to boil and voila!
You can eat with fufu, amala, semo or eba

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 5:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
More

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by seemples(f): 9:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
Looks nice..thumb ups ups!

That leaf is tremendously bitter oo..you didn't say for how long each session of the 'washing' shld last
Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by tpiander: 10:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
It looks nice but you didn't put the time frame.

1 Like

Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 12:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
seemples:
Looks nice..thumb ups ups!

That leaf is tremendously bitter oo..you didn't say for how long each session of the 'washing' shld last

Thanks dear! You preference would inform how many times you'd wash. Depending on how bitter you want it, with each wash you taste a bit to makes sure it's the desired taste. Some bitter leaf plants are more bitter than others so that to is a factor.

I like it bitter so I washed once and rinsed once.
Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 12:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
tpiander:
It looks nice but you didn't put the time frame.

Thanks dear! You'd use your discretion to steam the meat but from when the ogbono starts boiling and frothing, you put the ingredients almost immediately and allow to stay for 4-5mins then it's ready. Remember to not close the lid of the pot till you sure it's ready.
Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by Nmeri17: 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2015
op niiice smiley
Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by NaijaKnight(m): 11:53pm On Jun 23, 2015
Nmeri17:
op niiice smiley
Thanks b!
Re: A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 24, 2015
NaijaKnight:
OK. so as the foodie that I am I decided to prepare ogbono soup with bitter leaf and amala to take care of my 'swallow' cravings.

Ingredients

1. Beef
2. Stock Fish
3. Pomo (edible cow hide)
4. Panla fish (i don't know the botanical name ooo cheesy)
5. smoked mackerel
6. Salt
7. Knorr seasoning
8. Black Pepper (Cameroon pepper)
9. Red fresh bulb pepper
10. Ground Ogbono
11. Bitter leaf
12. Palm Oil

Step 1. Wash the ponmo and slice into small pieces. Wash your beef and set aside. Wash the panla, smoked mackerel and stock fish. Blend the red bulb pepper.

my fav soup

I love it when a fellow brother cooks smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please View And Rate My Cakes... Thanks / Happy Thanksgiving.. Turkey Recipe / Nigerian Baker’s Penis-like Cake Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.