Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

My Take On Benin City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On Benin City (1825 Views)

Suleiman Afegbua Assassinated On Benin-Auchi Road (pics) / Militants Playing Football On Benin-Lagos Expressway - Ehiwario Jude (Video,Pic) / Each Time I Travel On Benin-ore Express Road, I Can't But Say God Bless GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2015
The debut album by a Benin artist Sanchez called 100% BC dropped under Rock-A-lot imprint, the album inspired this project.

I have been trying to visit Benin City for a while but no chance to do so, finally I decided to drop off on my way from Lagos to Ughelli to install some devices to a client and visit a sister in-law who is a nursing student at UBTH.

My take on BC is that the city is very spacious but kinda old. Nice tree planting culture but poor drainage system.

I took out time to visit
Mission Rd.
New Benin.
Ring Road.
Ekosodin.
Giwa Amu.
2nd East.
3rd East.
Sapele Road.
Muritala Muhammed Rd.
Ikpoba Avenue.
Boundary Rd.
Airport.
Agency.
UBTH.
Technical Along Lagos Rd.
Uselu.
Ikpoba Hill.
Ikpoba Slop.

Don't ask how I accomplished this task, am a natural hiker, good bird watcher with good cathographic skills.

There is nothing extra ordinary about the city having been to its hearts, New Benin is well planned with good street mapping, I will rate it with Asata and old Uwani Enugu, Fegge Onitsha of pre 2000s, Old Aba Town before T A Orji, some how Ebutte Meta.

Benin City is eco-friendly, tree planting is a religion with many open spaces, you can walk for hours but won't be soaked in sweat because of free flow of air.
Flat table land everywhere with carpet grasses covering abandoned footpath.
Transportation here is cheap, BRT is here with the native rickety Mazda buses packing passengers like Sardines, no Okada, Keke is not common but can be seen plying the inner city roads.

Sanitation is poor, I don't know what Comrade is doing over the development.

Damn so many young men here, street markets Women here speak in hoarse tone and they tend to shout a lot which you will mistaken for a quarrel.

Still exploring Benin City shaa but just chilling at joint with few bottles of Hero Beer; glad the drink is here.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Benin City by natas22: 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
Re: My Take On Benin City by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
The Benin I stopped at s the me years ago was old but pretty boisterous. But I heard there has been some improvements by Adams Aliyu Oshiomole. Can't wait to visit all Nigerian states one day.
Re: My Take On Benin City by Afam4eva(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2015
@Buddahmonk
How do you compare Benin with other Nigerian cities that you have been to?
Re: My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
Afam4eva:
@Buddahmonk
How do you compare Benin with other Nigerian cities that you have been to?

Nothing spectacular having been to the heart, before setting out I asked my host where I will go to see it all, she directed me to New Benin and Ring Road down to Airport.

Visited those places but what I saw there were remains of Old ACB, New Nigeria Bank, et al, the High Court compound is unkempt, the state secreatariat still have grasses growing on the air conditioners, in fact the New capital cities of Umuahia, Abakaliki, Asaba, Awka and Uyo are doing much pretty well than the first and second generation capital cities.

I was expecting something better when I got to the GRA.
Though they build according to their standard(bungalow and one storey), am yet to see a two storey residential abode here unlike what you will find in an average Eastern Town.

Am enjoying the breeze, you can doze off while walking on the roads, they give room for sidewalks and few drainages are well covered but flooding is imminent here, I saw a tip off on friday when I arrived because the land is level.

I love their wide streets and how inter connected there are, am loving the streets.
Re: My Take On Benin City by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
Benin is an ancient city. Why are you now saying it's "kinda old"?
Re: My Take On Benin City by warripekin(m): 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2015
Nice op. Bini na our backyard. But growth is slow and old structures are rampant and decaying. Those mud houses along majors streets shows how little this place has developed. The major capital in flow is from abroad members. Theirs hardly a family in Edo state without anybody abroad except my lawyer barrister john grin grin. He even refused to marry Americana Bini girl who happensto be a lawyer too. grin. And settled for an Nnewi girl.Western union is making a lot of money in Edo state bulk of their customer comes from here. Edo ppl are hustlers and one of the most friendly people I know. They are quite exposed and enlightened too.
Re: My Take On Benin City by Jorussia(m): 5:52pm On Jun 20, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Nothing spectacular having been to the heart, before setting out I asked my host where I will go to see it all, she directed me to New Benin and Ring Road down to Airport.

Visited those places but what I saw there were remains of Old ACB, New Nigeria Bank, et al, the High Court compound is unkempt, the state secreatariat still have grasses growing on the air conditioners, in fact the New capital cities of Umuahia, Abakaliki, Asaba, Awka and Uyo are doing much pretty well than the first and second generation capital cities.

I was expecting something better when I got to the GRA.
Though they build according to their standard(bungalow and one storey), am yet to see a two storey residential abode here unlike what you will find in an average Eastern Town.

Am enjoying the breeze, you can doze off while walking on the roads, they give room for sidewalks and few drainages are well covered but flooding is imminent here, I saw a tip off on friday when I arrived because the land is level.

I love their wide streets and how inter connected there are, am loving the streets.
Its not the benin city that i reside in that,you visited. Pls don't deceive people here about the true picture of benin i beg you.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Benin City by redsquare(m): 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2015
Benin City is just like most Nigerian cities.
Re: My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
Jorussia:
Its not the benin city that i reside in that,you visited. Pls don't deceive people here about the true picture of benin i beg you.

Tell me where to visit so that I can set out before its dark.
Am ready to bambozool BC before heading back to East.

Should I PM you so that you can take me old, am staying at Technical at Holy Rosary?
Re: My Take On Benin City by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:05pm On Jun 20, 2015
Bini na my abode,till dawn...Ohoro rd,Lagos rd,Mission rd,upper lawanson,new Bini ,Akpapava.....Very cool like say Enugu but to find ukwu is easier grin. Their woman like Igbo guys(you will pay for this info grin). They can be a little fetish but I will role with Bini guys all day long. I miss the ancient city like mad....Go to no 10 Idehen street and mention Ovie Igbo!
Re: My Take On Benin City by Lilyomi(f): 6:19pm On Jun 20, 2015
Following.
Re: My Take On Benin City by phyllosilicate(m): 6:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
The part were you said we shout while talking is so true, if one watch local channels talk program and compare with stations like channels, the local channel talk program will look like people that are gruelling.
Re: My Take On Benin City by OreMI22: 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
[size=17pt]

Wetin concern vulture with barber?.
[/size]
Re: My Take On Benin City by Afam4eva(m): 6:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Bini na my abode,till dawn...Ohoro rd,Lagos rd,Mission rd,upper lawanson,new Bini ,Akpapava.....Very cool like say Enugu but to find ukwu is easier
I've heard people say Enugu is a bit more difficult.in this department. What could be the cause of this?
Re: My Take On Benin City by IGBOSON2: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
phyllosilicate:
The part were you said we shout while talking is so true, if one watch local channels talk program and compare with stations like channels, the local channel talk program will look like people that are gruelling.

^^^I thought that was a Nigerian (and Jamaican) thing.....and not specific to any sub-group!? If anything, i think the core northerners are a bit more soft-spoken than those down south!
Re: My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2015
a friend of mine who resides in benin (ekosodin) to be precise , told me that the electricity issue in benin is nothinh to write home about...please what is oshiomole doing?
Re: My Take On Benin City by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
Afam4eva:

I've heard people say Enugu is a bit more difficult.in this department. What could be the cause of this?

Una women too dey form... grin. I guess our culture discourages women from having boyfriends and premarital sex but it's not a big deal with Bini people. They bonk and have kids in their fathers house without anybody chastising them. I am not saying Igbo girls don't but they so very discreet. Also,Igbo women are spoilt and always have their men ever willing to provide and lavish gifts on them and still maintain the relashionship. These characteristics attracts Bini women to Igbo guys.
I know a lot of Igbo guys who are married to Bini women and those who had kids by them,I probably would have married a Bini chic if I didn't leave...They make good wives and are more adventurous than our women...If ya know what I mean... grin
Re: My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
Afam4eva:

Igbos are very rigid and conservative, I have stayed in Enugu for a year but snagging a hotchie was kinda hard though I wasn't much interested because of my mission.

Enugu is a civil service state and most of gals you will likely see are students who already have bf unless you will move to Abakpa.

one watering hole I discovered then was Salon Hotel at Obiagu before Edinburgh Road.
Re: My Take On Benin City by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Bini na my abode,till dawn...Ohoro rd,Lagos rd,Mission rd,upper lawanson,new Bini ,Akpapava.....Very cool like say Enugu but to find ukwu is easier grin. Their woman like Igbo guys(you will pay for this info grin). They can be a little fetish but I will role with Bini guys all day long. I miss the ancient city like mad....Go to no 10 Idehen street and mention Ovie Igbo!

Really, never knew you lived in Benin, I love the city streets, very wide, spacious with good trees and shrubs. The city is green walahi.

Their houses are old shaa, they need upgrading and renovating. I have inquired, house rent is affordable with good animities and spacious rooms.

(1) (Reply)

American Explain Its Position On Nigeria's Ant-gay Law With Obama Kissing His SA / PHOTOS: Smart Monkey Seen Wearing Barca Jersey In Abuja Market / Buhari Makes N7.5m Available For Igbo Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.