Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,855 members, 7,820,978 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview (49649 Views)

5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / Seven Social Media Hacks Graduates Can Use To Land Their First Job / How I Got My First Job- A True Life Experience Of David Adeoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by newguy1(m): 2:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
T
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Tobbey(m): 2:34pm On Jun 23, 2015
SO SORRRRRY
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by nagoma(m): 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
yvesboss:
i am so used to that word...may God help me

Yea man!
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by toluleke(m): 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
Same thing during project defence that year people kept on saying 'Ya n YEA'
Our lecturer told us his story that when he first applied in a school to be a lecturer he kept on saying "YEA" it was one of the staff that got angry and sent him off that he lacked manners that his the VC not old enough to be his father that was how he lost the job..

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Spells(m): 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
That word "yea" done do me strong tin too oh...chai, God punish yea... N bless yes
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by dam4wummy(m): 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
U should have used "yo" , anyway, I'm sure pple would learn from this thread. The day I used the word "lolz" for a friend when chatting, she was surprised because I have never used such. Even o'level students nowadays are worst
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 23, 2015
I don't think that was it... Except you said it to many times in the interview.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by thefakestan: 2:36pm On Jun 23, 2015
Sorry it was more than the "yea"

Your speaking skill was as poor are your writing skill.

Just maybe.

ThefakeStan

2 Likes

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 23, 2015
undecided
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Jarus(m): 2:37pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
It was one faithful morning after my regular job search on the internet job Search portal, i came across a job advert it was about a 5 star hotel recruitment, i read the requirement with interest.

All the requirement fit my Qualification so, i decided to apply for the job as a store Manager.
Three days later i was invited for an interview, i was excited to attend my first job interview with high hope of landing the job.

I did all i could practising, Reseaching about the company Mission and Vision.
The first stage of the interview was a writen test and thank God i pass the first stage and was shortlisted for the second stage of the interview.

I felt so happy that faithful day when i got a congratulatory massage for the next stage of the interview after three days.
On the final day of the interview, about 100 people were invited, although there were some gate crashing people waiting for slite opportunity to grab.

The interview was going on well but this one word "yea" i used instead of yes denied me my first job.
I was told to go home that they will get back to me, at that moment i knew that was the end, i felt so disappointed dragged my feet like someone that was heat by a truck.

My advice to job seekers is that they should always use the right words during interview to avoid this kind of situations.

http://nigeriacurrentaffairs1..in/2015/06/one-word-that-denied-me-my-first-job.html
I seriously doubt that was the cause of your not landing the job, moreso for a store keeper position in a hotel. It is highly unlikely that the interviewer is a core HR person who will give attention to such little things. I seriously doubt saying "yea", instead of "yes" can deny you "store keeping" job in a hotel, not a newscasting job, not a job in GE, not a job in even KPMG.

I have similar experience with same word: yea.

My own was probably worse, I was expressly corrected by the interviewer (the COO of a downstream oil company). "Please don't say 'yeah' to me again", she expressly told me in that chat (Meet the COO chat - after passing all previous stages). I apologized and the conversation continued.

Guess what? I mistakenly answered "yeah" again less than 2 minutes after that correction. She didn't bother to say anything the second time, she knows this guy's case is irredeemable(LOL).

And I still got the job.

This was 2008 as an entry level candidate, and this woman was the most feared in that company.

My case was worse, as I was expressly corrected and I still committed it the second time. But they didn't think it was strong enough for me not to get the job.

Related: I was in another interview few years after and I used "guys" to describe the management of my then current company. I said "These guys have done well managing this company, but I needed to move one..." One of the interviewers - again a woman - interjected, "who are the guys?", and I told her I was referring to the Executive Management of my then company. She commented that it wasn't polite of me to address my management as "guys", and we continued our conversation.

8 Likes

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by obailala(m): 2:38pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
It was one faithful morning after my regular job search on the internet job Search portal, i came across a job advert it was about a 5 star hotel recruitment, i read the requirement with interest.

All the requirement fit my Qualification so, i decided to apply for the job as a store Manager.
Three days later i was invited for an interview, i was excited to attend my first job interview with high hope of landing the job.

The first stage of the interview was a writen test and thank God i pass the first stage and was shortlisted for the second stage of the interview.

I felt so happy that faithful day when i got a congratulatory massage for the next stage of the interview after three days.
On the final day of the interview, about 100 people were invited, although there were some gate crashing people waiting for slite opportunity to grab.

The interview was going on well but this one word "yea" i used instead of yes denied me my first job.
I was told to go home that they will get back to me, at that moment i knew that was the end, i felt so disappointed dragged my feet like someone that was heat by a truck.

My advice to job seekers is that they should always use the right words during interview to avoid this kind of situations.

http://nigeriacurrentaffairs1..in/2015/06/one-word-that-denied-me-my-first-job.html
If 'Yea' is the only reason why they denied you the job, then they should go to hell with their job. They never intended giving it to you in the first place.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by bodeoni: 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
OP are you sure that's what made you loose the job. I very much doubt that.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by pure2012soul(m): 2:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Your grammar sef!
Faithful rather than Fateful,
Slite rather than Slight,
Heat instead of Hit.
Am sure Yea in place of Yes was not the only grammatical error you made that day

3 Likes

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Ayima: 2:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Afternoon everyone, please voting have started, Vote AYIMA as mr nairaland 2015 thanks and God bless you real good. Voting starts by 9am in romance section. Just vote like this. I vote ayima then you copy Nljega. Thanks. Here is the link http:// www.nairaland.com/2398330/mr-nairaland- contest-2015-elimination
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by kentony5(m): 2:43pm On Jun 23, 2015
My guys we all need to sit up oh! because some weeks ago I shouted "Bleep me" in a church meeting and I felt like melting sad ****i can see that my expression has been changed to "Bleep me" well I understand its wrong word to use in any place.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by carzola(m): 2:44pm On Jun 23, 2015
OLOCHI them plenty for hai oooooo them plenty for here.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 23, 2015
ednut1:
not a good habit, but in reality if i tick all the boxes they want eg confidence,working under pressure,resourceful, solution oriented and i use dat word, i wud still get the job ok #fact, interviews go far than u think. the worst interview i ever had was for my current job

You forget that u may not be the only person ticking all the boxes they want. Which is why they might want to use some mistakes to disqualify u. So don't give them room for that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
pure2012soul:
Your grammar sef!
Faithful rather than Fateful,
Slite rather than Slight,
Heat instead of Hit.
Am sure Yea in place of Yes was not the only grammatical error you made that day

I been wan talk am ooo, I say make I get the message of the story first! He needs to check his grammar

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
They should have told you why you didn't pass the interview rather than telling you that they would get back to you.That means you are on their reserved list.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Gegz(m): 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2015
prelinctus:
Fake story.

Whether fake or no fake. OP just passed a message across. Thank OP

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by iwatchandlisten(m): 2:51pm On Jun 23, 2015
I hope we all learn from this, especially those of us still searching for jobs and attending interviews...
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by peeta89(m): 2:51pm On Jun 23, 2015
prelinctus:
Fake story.
Oga na u sabi weda na fake story or not. Just try to learn from her mistake in case you find yourself in this situation. So that you will not use “K” instead of Ok...so pls read and learn...K stands for Kettle and not ok.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by africanusvu(m): 2:53pm On Jun 23, 2015
Same mistake that nearly denied Buhari his presidency: Mohammed instead of Muhammed
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by jck1976(m): 2:53pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:

You don't know why you were rejected.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by lasheez(m): 2:54pm On Jun 23, 2015
May be if you had said yea Sir it wouldn't had been noticeable.For christ sake its an interview,you need to be more formal next time.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by africanusvu(m): 2:54pm On Jun 23, 2015
Just like :Mohammed Buhari instead of Muhammed Buhari,one Dullard like lost Aso rock cos of that
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by franugo(m): 2:55pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
you can use it for formal discussion but dont use it for informal discussion oh![/qu

[quote author=Ambi25 post=35064060]be careful in other not to make such mistake oh! Hear me now.

If you made These blunders at the interview, I fail to see how u would have gotten the job,,,,, people like blaming other stuffs for their inability
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by slap1(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
orogodoganyin:
yh... i constantly av to remind myself not 2 say 'lol' in a conversation

Apparently, you have bigger communication concerns than 'LOL'.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Abbey2sam(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:

it's either the interviewers are dumb or you're lying

"yeah" means yes and it's formal
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Damikevin(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
So you passed the written test, then 'yeah' no let you get job, please be truthful. My people for NL help Me judge this matter. You write test get 9.5 over 10 then teacher say you fail.
If yeah is the reason why they denied you the job truth is they never really wanted you to get the job. Yeah is in the dictionary.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by franugo(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2015
jck1976:

You don't know why you were rejected.

No mind am,, am sure he knows the real reason he was rejected, he is just misleading us n fooling himself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Federal Government Parastatal Pays Well / What's The Weirdest Question You Have Ever Been Asked In An Interview / Don Jazzy Offers Job Vacancy At Mavins Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.