Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview (49630 Views)

5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / Seven Social Media Hacks Graduates Can Use To Land Their First Job / How I Got My First Job- A True Life Experience Of David Adeoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Sagamite(m): 4:04pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
It was one faithful morning after my regular job search on the internet job Search portal, i came across a job advert it was about a 5 star hotel recruitment, i read the requirement with interest.

All the requirement fit my Qualification so, i decided to apply for the job as a store Manager.
Three days later i was invited for an interview, i was excited to attend my first job interview with high hope of landing the job.

I did all i could practising, Reseaching about the company Mission and Vision.
The first stage of the interview was a writen test and thank God i pass the first stage and was shortlisted for the second stage of the interview.

I felt so happy that faithful day when i got a congratulatory massage for the next stage of the interview after three days.
On the final day of the interview, about 100 people were invited, although there were some gate crashing people waiting for slite opportunity to grab.

The interview was going on well but this one word "yea" i used instead of yes denied me my first job.
I was told to go home that they will get back to me, at that moment i knew that was the end, i felt so disappointed dragged my feet like someone that was heat by a truck.

My advice to job seekers is that they should always use the right words during interview to avoid this kind of situations.

http://nigeriacurrentaffairs1..in/2015/06/one-word-that-denied-me-my-first-job.html

All these bad habits is something I have warned many of you about for long.

https://www.nairaland.com/564866/when-nigerian-degrees-worth-name/1#7307673
https://www.nairaland.com/564866/when-nigerian-degrees-worth-name/1#msg7310412
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by linearity: 4:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
ednut1:
not a good habit, but in reality if i tick all the boxes they want eg confidence,working under pressure,resourceful, solution oriented and i use dat word, i wud still get the job ok #fact, interviews go far than u think. the worst interview i ever had was for my current job

That was before, there are many other candidates that are equally qualified or more qualified than you.

You should also understand it from the interviewers's angle, I have been there before; where you have 10 equally qualified candidate for a single position and at the tail end, you have to eliminate 9 candidates, so it becomes delicate at that point and if you really want to eliminate the 9 positions objectively, then responding to a question with a 'yea' is an appropriate disqualification criteria especially when the interviewer had given you the first warning like the OP stated, it shows you that, there is likelihood of you been casual where professionalism is needed and you have little control is drawing the boundary even with warning.

By doing that, you just made the job of the interviewer much more easier.

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
It was one faithful morning after my regular job search on the internet job Search portal, i came across a job advert it was about a 5 star hotel recruitment, i read the requirement with interest.

All the requirement fit my Qualification so, i decided to apply for the job as a store Manager.
Three days later i was invited for an interview, i was excited to attend my first job interview with high hope of landing the job.

The first stage of the interview was a writen test and thank God i pass the first stage and was shortlisted for the second stage of the interview.

I felt so happy that faithful day when i got a congratulatory massage for the next stage of the interview after three days.
On the final day of the interview, about 100 people were invited, although there were some gate crashing people waiting for slite opportunity to grab.

The interview was going on well but this one word "yea" i used instead of yes denied me my first job.
I was told to go home that they will get back to me, at that moment i knew that was the end, i felt so disappointed dragged my feet like someone that was heat by a truck.

My advice to job seekers is that they should always use the right words during interview to avoid this kind of situations.

http://nigeriacurrentaffairs1..in/2015/06/one-word-that-denied-me-my-first-job.html

So how did you get to know that it was "Yea"
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by lordrayne(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2015
moscobabs:
grin grin grin this reminds me of a word that denied me from travel out of the country 15years
during my interview with consular

he asked me what I will be doing for living when I get to the UK?

I answered ..I will like to learn about yahoo and use the proceed to sponsor my education

Consular: whats yahoo?

Me : Yahoo yahoo

consular: meaning

me : I will be playing on white intelligent on internet and make money through it

Consular : you are not needed in my country !!! grin grin grin

cant stop laughing grin
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Adortem: 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2015
Mine wasn't a job interview,wanted to collect my JSCE certificate in my secondary school recently,the principal was asking me questions, I simply said yes, she said I should say Yes ma! Well I took to the correction though. Another I heard was a guy that was defending his project before a panel,with professors sitted,they asked for his name and he said" Mr..." Instead of simply saying his name,they said he was proud and arrogant and simply walked him out.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Drenix(m): 4:46pm On Jun 23, 2015
prelinctus:
Fake story.
. Bros is not a fake story o.... My boss gave me a query cause of that word "yea" its not allowed in the professional world. God bless nigeria
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Shwarz: 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
sholikay:
.. That's the main reason why I detest writing in abbreviation, or in slang!.. You get addicted to it unconsciously, and obviously begin to reproduce it orally..
I know of a guy whenever he finds something amusing, he would chuckle, and pronounce the abbreviation "LOL" as a word.. I was like what is wrong with this one? .. Too much of social media chat abbreviation.. cheesy

Lmaoooo grin grin grin
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by lakesidepapa(m): 4:52pm On Jun 23, 2015
moscobabs:
grin grin grin this reminds me of a word that denied me from travel out of the country 15years
during my interview with consular

he asked me what I will be doing for living when I get to the UK?

I answered ..I will like to learn about yahoo and use the proceed to sponsor my education

Consular: whats yahoo?

Me : Yahoo yahoo

consular: meaning

me : I will be playing on white intelligent on internet and make money through it

Consular : you are not needed in my country !!! grin grin grin

How can u initiate me into kegite group
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by flames007(m): 5:39pm On Jun 23, 2015
ednut1:
lies from the pit of hell undecided
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by bakingsoda: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2015
Mine was "hello?"

The interviewer asked me a question that I didn't hear clearly. Instead of saying " Pardon or excuse me", I said " hello?". The interviewer was shocked. She was like, did you just say hello? Then went ahead to write on her jotter that I said hello!

As I saw the note, I just lost hope.

Normally the company sends regret or success mail at least two working days after interview, mine was sent the next day. That was how I lost opportunity in one of Bill Gate's funded company.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by UG2020: 6:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for the advise
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by ElUniqadoStores: 6:44pm On Jun 23, 2015
This is rubbish as far as I m concerned. "Yeah" is an English word.

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by hasonjack: 6:47pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:

'Heat by a truck'? Maybe it's not only yea that cost you.

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you have a passion to start your own business with little capital and high returns in investment? Do you relish the desire of being your own boss? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110 You will be glad you did.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Alarib(m): 7:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
sholikay:
.. That's the main reason why I detest writing in abbreviation, or in slang!.. You get addicted to it unconsciously, and obviously begin to reproduce it orally..
I know of a guy whenever he finds something amusing, he would chuckle, and pronounce the abbreviation "LOL" as a word.. I was like what is wrong with this one? .. Too much of social media chat abbreviation.. cheesy
The abbreviations have eaten too deep into the youth. Many even use am instead of I'm....its such a shame.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by axeman10(m): 8:06pm On Jun 23, 2015
Let me share my experience, I will lay it all bare so people can learn from it. Happened years ago, fresh from university, beaming with hopes and aspirations.

I applied to Akintola Williams Deloitte, and several thousands of us wrote the aptitude test. I was among the 60 or maybe 80 that scaled through the first stage.

Then we did a written test for the second stage. I scaled through again...we were maybe 40.

Then came the final stage, meeting with the partners. In fact, I was beaming with confidence like I got my first job in my pocket. It was more of a friendly discussion between me and Victor Hammond.

Then came the bombshell!

I discussed my plans of taking up accountancy lectures and qualifying within the shortest possible time, even though I wasn't an accountancy student, I knew the workings of audit firms. The he asked about accountancy associations. In my mind, I was like 'easy, pizzy, lemon-squeezy".

'ACCA, ICAN...ANAN'. Eewo! The moment I mentioned ANAN, everything changed.

That was when I knew the rivalry (or rather hatred) for ANAN in ICAN accounting firm isn't "moin-moin".

Hammond said, "you mentioned ANAN in an ICAN firm?"

One word "ANAN" cost me my first job.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by sixtus3606(m): 8:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:

"Heat by a truck"??...naaah!!!! Hit! Hit!! Hit!!!!!!!
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by sixtus3606(m): 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
sholikay:
That one him brain don turn social media platform! Factory reset is required in his case.

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by sixtus3606(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
ismokeweed:
All the old women in your village are taking turns to fart on the head of an image of you. Second to comment. GEJ my hero. Fayose my role model.
It's obvious you're high on weed!
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by sixtus3606(m): 8:14pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
bros na slipery of tonque oh! She nag at me when i used the word,
Did u attend the interview with a "GOATIE"??
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
because the interviewer point that out for me,the first time and the second time the interview ended there.

Even without the 'yea', you might still not have landed the job. Your tenses and spellings are a bit disturbing too.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Bluffly: 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:
because the interviewer point that out for me,the first time and the second time the interview ended there.
If you were corrected twice, means you don't pay attention to details. So it's not about the yea, but your failure to pay attention to details and how well can you handle a store if you don't pay attention to details.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by aboabai(m): 10:42pm On Jun 23, 2015
ednut1:
lies from the pit of hell undecided
What you do not understand is this. They needed one person for the job they shortlisted 100 candidates, there is no formal criteria for screen. Use of slang during interview is offensive and anyone could loss it, don't forget there are other 99 on the list, they use every means available to get the right person for the job, no matter how fluent and intelligent one may be if you go for an interview in a bank, because you so much believe in yourself and so confident and you choose to wear a Jean and polo T - shirt to the interview.what do you think of the success/chance of such person getting the job?
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by StoneColdBiceps(m): 11:04pm On Jun 23, 2015
Ambi25:

Exactly same thing happened to me in my first hotel interview in ikoyi for the post of front office. Dey were interviewing me n i ws captivatin dem wit my flow. Dey were askin me affirmative questions and instead of me to say 'yes' i was saying "yeah".They corrected me but i still find myself saying 'yeh' and apologising. dat was how dey knew i was a rappar. I ws into music. From there interview change to music singles and albums and then dey said dey will get back to me and......that was it. LOL i learned my lesson
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Rexnegro(m): 11:40pm On Jun 23, 2015
sholikay:
Hehehehhe now u got me LOL-ing here... True talk tho
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Adekorya: 11:59pm On Jun 23, 2015
sholikay:
I know of a guy whenever he finds something amusing, he would chuckle, and pronounce the abbreviation "LOL" as a word..I was like what is wrong with this one? .. Too much of social media chat abbreviation.. cheesy

You started ur written as if you are perfect and never guilty of such

But u end up shooting urself in the leg.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Adekorya: 12:04am On Jun 24, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Even without the 'yea', you might still not have landed the job. Your tenses and spellings are a bit disturbing too.

Are you a Fountain of knowledge?
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by jackpot(f): 12:10am On Jun 24, 2015
same thing nearly happened to me during my own interview. I was lucky that the exercise was ceremonial. I escaped with a strongly-worded warning. Pheeew!
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 24, 2015
Adekorya:

Are you a Fountain of knowledge?
Nope I ain't, but He (The Fountain of Knowledge) lives in me.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by iukpe: 1:28am On Jun 24, 2015
Ambi25:

My advise is that you watch your tenses, "because the interviewer point that out for me", is bad grammar. Should be past tense, if you are not just allowing the typo to remain here.
Again "heat by truck" I guess you meant "hit by a truck".
These are careless mistakes that young people make these days because of poor English reading, writing and comprehension lessons in school.
Any one who is passing through Nigerian academic institutions today must do an extra job to be polished, because the real pros out there want to preserve the integrity of their organizations by recruiting quality persons who will represent their values always.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by tosyne2much(m): 1:30am On Jun 24, 2015
Jarus:

I seriously doubt that was the cause of your not landing the job, moreso for a store keeper position in a hotel. It is highly unlikely that the interviewer is a core HR person who will give attention to such little things. I seriously doubt saying "yea", instead of "yes" can deny you "store keeping" job in a hotel, not a newscasting job, not a job in GE, not a job in even KPMG.

I have similar experience with same word: yea.

My own was probably worse, I was expressly corrected by the interviewer (the COO of a downstream oil company). "Please don't say 'yeah' to me again", she expressly told me in that chat (Meet the COO chat - after passing all previous stages). I apologized and the conversation continued.

Guess what? I mistakenly answered "yeah" again less than 2 minutes after that correction. She didn't bother to say anything the second time, she knows this guy's case is irredeemable(LOL).

And I still got the job.

This was 2008 as an entry level candidate, and this woman was the most feared in that company.

My case was worse, as I was expressly corrected and I still committed it the second time. But they didn't think it was strong enough for me not to get the job.

Related: I was in another interview few years after and I used "guys" to describe the management of my then current company. I said "These guys have done well managing this company , but I needed to move one..." One of the interviewers - again a woman - interjected, "who are the guys?", and I told her I was referring to the Executive Management of my then company. She commented that it wasn't polite of me to address my management as "guys", and we continued our conversation.
Hahahahaha cheesy

Don't know why I find the bolded full of hilarity cheesy
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 24, 2015
My own problem is the word "gonna". It is already a part of me. The last interview I attended, I tried desperately not to use that word but it still slipped through from time to time. Maybe I need deliverance to rid me of "gonna" in official settings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Job Opening At Nigerian Prisons Service / Don Jazzy Offers Job Vacancy At Mavins Records / What's The Weirdest Question You Have Ever Been Asked In An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.