Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview (49628 Views)

5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / Seven Social Media Hacks Graduates Can Use To Land Their First Job / How I Got My First Job- A True Life Experience Of David Adeoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by ednut1(m): 6:13am On Jun 24, 2015
Dayo55:

I hope this will be my case.
so what finally happened
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 24, 2015
adeaks:
My own problem is the word "gonna". It is already a part of me. The last interview I attended, I tried desperately not to use that word but it still slipped through from time to time. Maybe I need deliverance to rid me of "gonna" in official settings.

Well, I say "yea" even to judges. We need to attend the deliverance together
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 24, 2015
tolusan:

Well, I say "yea" even to judges. We need to attend the deliverance together

Your case is serious. There are some judges that don't even accept 'Yes' not to talk of 'Yea' just like some of them dont like being called "sir" by lawyers in court. I found it hard to understand at first, but I later trained myself to use 'very well' anytime I want to say yes in court and now I'm used to it. So if the judge says "have you paid the penalty fees?", I'd say "very well, my lord, we have paid" instead of yes.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by aboabai(m): 7:22am On Jun 24, 2015
ednut1:
lies from the pit of hell undecided
What you do not understand is this. They needed one person for the job they shortlisted 100 candidates, there is no formal criteria for screen. Use of slang during interview is offensive and anyone could loss it, don't forget there are other 99 on the list.
ElUniqadoStores:
This is rubbish as far as I m concerned. "Yeah" is an English word.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by aboabai(m): 7:27am On Jun 24, 2015
Yeah is an informal word in English meaning yes, in a formal engagement such as job interview you should be very careful as your action , your words, your approach to answering questions, your presentation, your seriousness , your analytical mind and skill are what will sum up to get you the job. Knowing fully well that you are not the only one for the interview. Elimination process can take any form, so be mindful of your choice of word during interview.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Cutehector(m): 7:28am On Jun 24, 2015
tosyne2much:
Hahahahaha cheesy

Don't know why I find the bolded full of hilarity cheesy
mehn the same thing happens to me often.. I was told to say a vote of thanks after an nysc lecture during camp days.. And I said this to the old men "I want to thank u guys for the great speech" lool it so was a reflex and youth corp members were like wtf. A frnd got to signal me after d vote of thanks and told me what I had said and I was very shocked cux I ddnt even knw I said dat.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by aboabai(m): 7:46am On Jun 24, 2015
Adortem:
Mine wasn't a job interview,wanted to collect my JSCE certificate in my secondary school recently,the principal was asking me questions, I simply said yes, she said I should say Yes ma! Well I took to the correction though. Another I heard was a guy that was defending his project before a panel,with professors sitted,they asked for his name and he said" Mr..." Instead of simply saying his name,they said he was proud and arrogant and simply walked him out.

When are going for any kind of interview you have to be very careful as the first impression formed about you could last till the end of the process and form an integral part of their decision making regarding your performance. Performance cut across everything you said and did during the interview. So you have to humble yourself when you are in an interview of any sort.

1 Like

Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by moscobabs(m): 8:38am On Jun 24, 2015
lakesidepapa:

How can u initiate me into kegite group
Do u want to belong?
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by moscobabs(m): 8:42am On Jun 24, 2015
lordrayne:

cant stop laughing grin
U dey laugh with what made me cry
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by femsteve02(m): 9:26am On Jun 24, 2015
Our etisalat package data is still selling fast
1GB for 1k 2GB for 1800 500MB for 600
To subscribe, call or whatsapp 08181801439
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by lakesidepapa(m): 10:47am On Jun 24, 2015
moscobabs:
Do u want to belong?
Yes sir
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 24, 2015
ednut1:
lies from the pit of hell undecided
try that word when your turn comes and you will know 'yea' is powerful than the command of a supreme judge.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by moscobabs(m): 11:02am On Jun 24, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Yes sir
how old r u and which sch u r?
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 24, 2015
Ambi25:
It was one faithful morning after my regular job search on the internet job Search portal, i came across a job advert it was about a 5 star hotel recruitment, i read the requirement with interest.

All the requirement fit my Qualification so, i decided to apply for the job as a store Manager.
Three days later i was invited for an interview, i was excited to attend my first job interview with high hope of landing the job.saw

I did all i could practising, Reseaching about the company Mission and Vision.
The first stage of the interview was a writen test and thank God i pass the first stage and was shortlisted for the second stage of the interview.

I felt so happy that faithful day when i got a congratulatory massage for the next stage of the interview after three days.
On the final day of the interview, about 100 people were invited, although there were some gate crashing people waiting for slite opportunity to grab.

The interview was going on well but this one word "yea" i used instead of yes denied me my first job.
I was told to go home that they will get back to me, at that moment i knew that was the end, i felt so disappointed dragged my feet like someone that was heat by a truck.

My advice to job seekers is that they should always use the right words during interview to avoid this kind of situations.

http://nigeriacurrentaffairs1..in/2015/06/one-word-that-denied-me-my-first-job.html

O boy you no lie oh. When I attended SRD for shell, that was how I was trying to explain something and said 'or whatever'. If you see the way the HR woman's face changed as she shouted "PLEASE DON'T SAY WHATEVER HERE".

I can swear that is when I lost my chance..
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Dayo55: 11:26am On Jun 24, 2015
ednut1:
so what finally happened

I will see you in September, but am resuming before you. I thank God Bro. I thought I had messed it all up.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by Hawlahscho(m): 1:54pm On Jun 24, 2015
Yea, Yep and Yeah all mean YES.

Tell them to check their dictionary and I know that's not why you were dot chosen.
Re: One Word That Denied Me My First Job Offer In An Interview by lakesidepapa(m): 6:27am On Jun 25, 2015
moscobabs:
how old r u and which sch u r?
27, I don graduate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Job Opening At Nigerian Prisons Service / Don Jazzy Offers Job Vacancy At Mavins Records / What's The Weirdest Question You Have Ever Been Asked In An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.