Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,716 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! (3304 Views)

Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! by EndtimeBlessing: 12:33pm On Jun 25, 2015
Congratulations on your Admission and UK student Visa. Please know that the next one year will probably be the fastest year you have ever spent on earth. Why? You may wish to ask:

1) For most of you, you will be working and studying for the first time in your adult life. This means you will always be pressed for time to read or study and do your assignments.
2) Also, like most students, you are likely to arrive in September or January. Unlike summer period, at both times especially January winter period, night falls quickly and lingers up to early morning. I was once forced to stupidly imagine that the UK time may be faster than Nigerias.
3) Lastly, most people need time to assimilate and comprehend a new environment. Even if you have travelled to a developed country before, you will still need time to understand the systems (Economic, Education, Transportation, etc), do your National Insurance, NHS registration and even get a better or cheaper accommodation.

All I have said so far are peripherals. Central to what is going to make time appear as if it is running too fast is the silently nudging question ’what do I do after my Degree Programme?' Those that are studying 3 years degree may not have this pressure immediately but I tell you, it will come sooner than expected.

For majority of foreign students on TIER 4 Visa, it is a question the system has already answered for them; finish your Bachelor or Masters Degree, back your luggage and leave the UK. For a few other students, what is prevalent are:
1) Get another Degree (Some students have had to use the opportunity of being in the UK already to further study for another academic degree that can enhance their career).
2) Get a job from a company that can sponsor you on TIER 2 Visa (It is very competitive and sometimes frustrating, but it is worth trying if you desire professional UK work experience).
3) Apply for a TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) visa if you have a business idea and you are able to win a UK entrepreneurial seed funding competition endorsed by UKTI or you are able to secure funding from a UK government department making funds available for the purpose of setting up or expanding a UK business. (This used to be a good option until April 2014 when the £50,000 funding source for TIER 4 students got limited to the 2 options I stated here).
4) Get a UK or EU citizen as a partner (This is only if you can find the love of your life whatever that means to you. Otherwise, I can only wish you best of luck).
5) Become an illegal UK immigrant (you honestly wouldn’t want to consider this? or will you?).

This is a follow up post on my previous popular thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2378290/5-things-should-considered-before

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! by cabayes: 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2015
Pls explain more on option 2 and option 4.

What if my field is related to the skill shortage list when applying for tier 2 visa ??

Do lecturers reccomend students to company's for recuitment ??

As for option 4. Can you describe the kind of spouse that one would need to engage himself with to stand a chance of getting marriage approval??
Re: Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! by EndtimeBlessing: 7:18pm On Jun 27, 2015
For option 2,
It is good if your on the skill shortage list, but I must let you know that getting sponsorship for tier 2 Visa depends more on your employer.

1) If you get interviewed by an employer that has sponsorship licence, they may take you on board. (Some of them will only take you if they can't find a UK/EU citizen for the same role, but for skills on shortage list they don't need to prove they can't find before employing you).
2) If you are able to have a very good academic result, you may also be able to get into any of the big multinational companies that offer graduate recruitment.
--Just know that it is very competitive.

Lecturers do not recommend student to companies. They can only give you academic references if you get a company that require one.

For option 4,
When you say marriage approval, from whom are you implying?

cabayes:
Pls explain more on option 2 and option 4.

What if my field is related to the skill shortage list when applying for tier 2 visa ??

Do lecturers reccomend students to company's for recuitment ??

As for option 4. Can you describe the kind of spouse that one would need to engage himself with to stand a chance of getting marriage approval??

1 Like

Re: Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! by cabayes: 10:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
For option 2

I heard of two guys at Coventry uni who got employed with rolls Royce through their project /dissertation supervisior. The thing is the lecturer had a project with the company and the student had the skill and the experience he needed for the project. Thought it was contract. I also learnt they didn't undergo any resident labour test before they got the job.

For option 4

I meant approval from ukba to get married. I heard they do such to check authenticity of the relationship

For option 1

Can you do a PGD in another related course while you still in the UK or you have to go back home to re-apply
Re: Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! by KhalidDJ: 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
There are different kinds of books are available where you can prepare for the college's exams and get the best quality of business strategies as well. I have read about the https://benheine.com/marketing-beginners-best-undergraduate-business-marketing-programs/ marketing strategies and you can get the best business strategies for digital marketing.

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows D Address Of D Immigration Office In Asaba? / How To Apply For Masters In UK / AVOID DUBAI, My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.